Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 09-21-2022, 4:52 PM

Default AR10 range ammo recommendations?

Hi all, I'm new to the the .308 caliber and I'm putting together an AR10 with an Aero Precision 16" mid-length upper with 1:10 twist rate. I'd love to get some suggestions regarding what .308 range ammo to buy that are relatively inexpensive and have reasonable accuracy.

As someone new to the caliber, I'll be shooting at targets 100 yards away with a scope. I'm not shooting long range and for ultimate accuracy. I'm just looking for something that's accurate enough so that I can sight in the scope, and when the target paper looks like crap I know it's not the barrel or the ammo. It's me

Last edited by jlist; 09-21-2022 at 4:59 PM..
Old 09-21-2022, 5:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Right now, there is no cheap 308/7.62x51 range fodder.

Steel case (if your not against it) is actually a fun ammo for starting out.

As your likely to shoot a bunch, before you get really comfortable with the platform. But in the end, it's all up to you.

Later, you will likely want to find something accurate that works good in your particular gun.

You will go through (most likely) many brands (if your not reloading) of manufactures, & bullet types/weights.

Good luck, it's a fun gun,, & even more fun, if you can keep it feed.
Old 09-21-2022, 5:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Sadly, that's true. Cheap range fodder is not to be found in .308/7.62x51.

If you want (relatively) affordable range ammo like you're describing, it's time for you to start reloading your own. I personally would also recommend casting your own bullets with something like a Lee 0.309" mould. For those saying, "oh, the gas port, the gas port!", yeah, I know. You're supposed to be cleaning your gun anyway, so that shouldn't be a factor.
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com (podcast)
http://www.youtube.com/sfliberal (YouTube channel)
----------------------------------------------------
To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.
Old 09-21-2022, 6:28 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I shot some bulk pack Australian ammo. It would hit at 1k

Look for 168 and heavier grain bullets as a general rule.

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)
Old 09-21-2022, 6:43 PM
Veteran Member

for new m80, i get good results from serbian ppu (prvi partizan).
of course it was a lot cheaper back in the day.
Old 09-21-2022, 7:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Maybe milsurp but I don't think it's much cheaper than anything else.
Old 09-21-2022, 8:21 PM
Veteran Member

80cpr is probably ball park on what you can do nowadays. Just shoot M80 rounds.
Old 09-21-2022, 9:14 PM

I had read my m&p 10 wouldn't like 7.62x51 although I have an abundance of lake city m80

from what I've read, .308win is higher pressure than 7.62x51 as opposed to 5.56x45 being higher pressure that .223rem..

so I was able to find a bunch of 147gr norma tactical for $.70/rd and it runs flawlessly

no idea if the m80 runs in the AR or not, haven't tried it yet myself..

good luck!

Old 09-22-2022, 9:28 AM
Calguns Addict

Been using Wolf for years as my steady blaster/plinker ammo because of availability/price.

All my 308 rifles eat that stuff. Accuracy is better than US M80 ball in my experience.

Surplus ammo that I stacked is German DAG and UK Radway Green NATO stuff. Very good accuracy for NATO standard. If you can find it now.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

ďI didnít know I was a slave until I found out I couldnít do the things I wanted.Ē
Ė Frederick Douglass --
Old 09-22-2022, 3:31 PM

Thank you all for the replies!

Looks like the steel case ammo's prices are around 60cpr. Reviews are all over the map, some say very good, some mention reliability issues. I'd love to also hear your steel case ammo experience if you've used it. @FeuerFrei has good experience with Wolf. Tula's also available for slightly cheaper.
Old 09-22-2022, 4:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeuerFrei View Post
Been using Wolf for years as my steady blaster/plinker ammo because of availability/price.

All my 308 rifles eat that stuff. Accuracy is better than US M80 ball in my experience.
Same here.

DONT FEED TROLLS! If I don't respond to your posts, its because you aren't worth responding to!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
I am absolutely staggered that there are actually people on this forum stupid enough to believe Putin is anything other than a murderous pile of dogs**t filth and to actually buy in to the whole idiotic 'nazis in Ukraine' crap.

Just, wow...

Last edited by California_Deplorable; 09-22-2022 at 5:37 PM..
Old 09-22-2022, 4:55 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Are you guys referring to the cheapest steel case Wolf?
Old 09-22-2022, 5:09 PM
Calguns Addict

I shoot almost exclusively surplus 308, I buy it in bulk whenever I find a decent sale. Right now I’m mainly shooting some Eastern European 308 that was made in 1979. Been shooting it out of a SCAR 17, M1a scout and a Ruger Precision. More then exceptable accuracy and runs great in them all.

Buy what you can find and don’t worry about accuracy from it unless your shooting for extreme repeatable accuracy. If I do mine part, minus the occasional flyer 1 MOA at 100 is very doable with surplus 308.
Old 09-22-2022, 5:44 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormvet View Post
I shoot almost exclusively surplus 308, I buy it in bulk whenever I find a decent sale. Right now Iím mainly shooting some Eastern European 308 that was made in 1979. Been shooting it out of a SCAR 17, M1a scout and a Ruger Precision. More then exceptable accuracy and runs great in them all.

Buy what you can find and donít worry about accuracy from it unless your shooting for extreme repeatable accuracy. If I do mine part, minus the occasional flyer 1 MOA at 100 is very doable with surplus 308.
Hmm, pre-wall, so it's not Czech or Yugo. Greece?
Old 09-22-2022, 7:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
Hmm, pre-wall, so it's not Czech or Yugo. Greece?
Not sure, could have just been sitting in a ammo bunker for decades in any number of countries.
Old 09-22-2022, 7:09 PM

Try Unicorn Arms for cheap .308 ammo.
Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force. Force has no place as a valid method of social interaction, and the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some.

The U.S. city with the most restrictive gun laws in the nation, Washington, D.C., has the highest murder rate at 24 per 100,000.
The state with the most unrestrictive gun regulations, Vermont, has the lowest murder rate at 0.48 per 100,000.
Old 09-22-2022, 7:29 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlist View Post
Thank you all for the replies!

Looks like the steel case ammo's prices are around 60cpr. Reviews are all over the map, some say very good, some mention reliability issues. I'd love to also hear your steel case ammo experience if you've used it. @FeuerFrei has good experience with Wolf. Tula's also available for slightly cheaper.
Since you will be dealing with a new rifle assembly I suggest you burn NATO spec ammo in it for break in otherwise you'll likely have failures to eject/extract. Most common.

I have found Tula rifle ammo kinda weak for reliable function in Stoner gassed rifles.
Try a box and see after break in w/NATO stuff.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

ďI didnít know I was a slave until I found out I couldnít do the things I wanted.Ē
Ė Frederick Douglass --
Old 09-22-2022, 8:09 PM

Gunmagwarehouse.com has some bulk surplus thatís Czech made. It has a blackened primer, itís berdan and it is corrosive. I bought a 1k rounds of it for $400 from an estate sale. Some people are discouraged or unfamiliar with corrosive ammo and will stay far away from it but Iím very familiar with corrosive ammo and know to clean the weapons really good. The site has it for 80 cents a round which I feel is way high for 60ís or 70ís made 762 nato but the 20 rounds Iíve tried all went bang and grouper fairly well.
Old 09-22-2022, 11:06 PM

NORMA TACTICAL AMMUNITION - 308 WINCHESTER - 150 GRAIN FULL METAL JACKET - 20 ROUNDS - BRASS CASE

$.95/rd in stock at miwall

F that random unpredictable steel crap

I run it exclusively in my AK but then I don't expect much more than minute of barn door from it either

the leftover premium norma brass is value added

I don't reload but I save it anyway for sale or trade

get on ammoseek, there's 147gr pmc $.82/rd and probably a few other better options for an AR

if you insist on russian steel though, plenty < $.70/rd

just beware of hundreds of testimonies against it - this guy sums it up pretty well

Steel ammo, unless its premium such as high hornady steel match, is usually associated with low quality, corrosive primers, weak and inconsistent power charges, and all sort of problems.

Its not really a good choice for AR patterns, most of the time.

I would stick to brass ammo for precision style rifles (308, 223). If you want to plink all day with cheap ammo, get a platform designed for it. (.22, 762x39, etc)

good luck!
Old 09-23-2022, 6:23 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Bee View Post
NORMA TACTICAL AMMUNITION - 308 WINCHESTER - 150 GRAIN FULL METAL JACKET - 20 ROUNDS - BRASS CASE

$.95/rd in stock at miwall

F that random unpredictable steel crap

I run it exclusively in my AK but then I don't expect much more than minute of barn door from it either

the leftover premium norma brass is value added

I don't reload but I save it anyway for sale or trade

get on ammoseek, there's 147gr pmc $.82/rd and probably a few other better options for an AR

if you insist on russian steel though, plenty < $.70/rd

just beware of hundreds of testimonies against it - this guy sums it up pretty well

Steel ammo, unless its premium such as high hornady steel match, is usually associated with low quality, corrosive primers, weak and inconsistent power charges, and all sort of problems.

Its not really a good choice for AR patterns, most of the time.

I would stick to brass ammo for precision style rifles (308, 223). If you want to plink all day with cheap ammo, get a platform designed for it. (.22, 762x39, etc)

good luck!
What modern commercial steel ammo has corrosive primers? I donít even think there is surplus steel case 7.62x51/308win as No nato countries make it.

Thereís definitely been modern brass military surplus that DOES have corrosive primers in it.

As far accuracy, minute of man is all that 7.62x51 was designed for. Your run of the mill M14, G3, FAL getting 2-3moa using m80 ball is perfectly acceptably. Steel case ammo will give you the same amount of accuracy.

An AK getting barn door accuracy,(Iím sure itís an exaggeration) has more to do with the shooter rather than the rifle or ammo.

If you do want good accuracy donít buy 7.62x51mm, stick to buying 308win.

If 2-3+ moa is fine for you, standard 1st world country M80 ball will be fine.
Old 09-23-2022, 7:05 AM
Veteran Member

before you buy a lot of anything, make sure your range allows it.
Old 09-23-2022, 10:23 AM

This is another example of why reloading is a viable option - especially in calibers like 308. I shoot cheap Hornady 150 bullets. I think I still have a good supply of primers but that has been the Achilles heal these days. Look into this hobby as it maybe the solution to your long term needs.
Old 09-23-2022, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLBC View Post
before you buy a lot of anything, make sure your range allows it.
Good point since a lot of FMJ choices have bi-metal jackets.
Old 09-23-2022, 7:06 PM
Calguns Addict

I shoot steel and some stuff I bought before the BLM and COVID bs made stuff expensive, it is brass and was cheapest at the time. Now, I'd just get steel, and I am saving all my brass for when components are cheaper and more available.
Old 09-24-2022, 9:08 AM
Calguns Addict

Current prices on .308 are still on the high side. Cheapest you'll find is steel cased stuff for about $0.64/round. Anything that's match grade quality will be over $1/round.

American Marksman Training Group
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page

NRA Memberships at Discounted fee
Old 09-24-2022, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermosabeach View Post
I shot some bulk pack Australian ammo. It would hit at 1k

Look for 168 and heavier grain bullets as a general rule.
What is the heaviest .308 bullet you are shooting out of your AR10, Iím duplicating M852 Match with 168ís but looking at duplicating M118 Match with 175ís.
Old 09-24-2022, 1:36 PM

People bashed it but I had great luck from ZQI M80 7.62 ball ammo made in. Turkey. At a time it was no more expensive that some steel case and this was fully reloadable brass cased boxer primed Milspec new production ammo.
A far second but decent was silver/brown bear steel case. My Fal and G3 copies chew this stuff up like spicy edamame at a sushi bar.