Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 09-21-2022, 9:13 AM
Calguns Addict

Default CMP Rack grade

I liked the two I received well enough to spin the wheel and order two more. Wish me luck!!!

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."
Old 09-21-2022, 10:54 AM

I just put together my packet for my first, since I was doing one for the 1911. Hope it’s not awful.
Old 09-21-2022, 11:05 AM

I was very lucky with the two I received other than the wood on one of them. If I wasn't at my CMP limit for the year Id order more, but it's like playing Russian roulette, I've seen some that were just horrible, barrels not even round any more due to corrosion, pitting so bad the receiver legs look like their ready to break off. But even so could probably part it out for your investment and maybe a little more.
Old 09-21-2022, 1:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianm767 View Post
I was very lucky with the two I received other than the wood on one of them. If I wasn't at my CMP limit for the year Id order more, but it's like playing Russian roulette, I've seen some that were just horrible, barrels not even round any more due to corrosion, pitting so bad the receiver legs look like their ready to break off. But even so could probably part it out for your investment and maybe a little more.
Maybe I got lucky as well. I received a decent WWI era SA with lock bar sights an a nice SA/NFR cartouched stock, and a lesser but still decent HRA with pretty crappy wood that was easily refurbished and put to presentable shape. The HRA had a lot of surface rust on various bits like the butt plate and ferrule/swivels, but cleaned up well.

Both had good bores, and shot well.

Maybe I beat the odds and should quit while I'm ahead, but I just gotta spin the wheel one more time.

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."
Old 09-21-2022, 2:02 PM

I'd spin the wheel until I got burnt. Even then like I said I'm sure it can be sold to recover your investments or possibly a little more for the trouble.

Last edited by brianm767; 09-22-2022 at 5:54 AM..
Old 09-21-2022, 4:39 PM
Calguns Addict

That's what I'm thinking. Hell - even a crapped out one should be worth $650. I saw rack grades selling at the last show for $1,200. Not asking, selling.

Old 09-22-2022, 11:10 AM

I wound up changing my order to an Expert. Was set for a rack…until I saw the latest set of pictures from this week on rack grades. One guy had a bulged barrel, another with the bore so worn that he dropped an entire cartridge down the barrel from the muzzle, and a third with literally roofing nails instead of screws. Not sure those odds are worth playing, especially since I’m not looking for a project.
Old 09-22-2022, 11:32 AM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

Expert is the way to go if you want one you can be sure of being able to shoot. They're still probably below market value in price.
Old 09-22-2022, 2:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
Expert is the way to go if you want one you can be sure of being able to shoot. They're still probably below market value in price.
Way below. Around here, Service Grade level rifles are selling (not asking, selling) in the $1,800 range.

Old 09-28-2022, 12:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Sent the order in on 9/21, order was acknowledged on 9/26. Serial numbers 269891 and 667985 headed my way on 9/27 for delivery tomorrow. Looks like I'm getting a pair of WWII era Springfield's, July 1941 and June 1942, respectively.

I asked for minimal pitting and decent bores. We''l see what shows up.

Last edited by bigbossman; 09-28-2022 at 12:35 PM..
Old 09-28-2022, 7:12 PM
Calguns Addict

The OP has the M1 Garand Fever for sure.
Old 09-29-2022, 7:00 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambam105 View Post
The OP has the M1 Garand Fever for sure.
LOL. I got my first Garand way back when the DCM was selling them. One per lifetime was all folks were allowed, and it took 18 months to get it. When was that - something like 30 years ago?

Since then, I've bought and sold several, and right now have collected the set - Springfield, HRA, IHC, and Winchester. I even have a CMP issued M1-D (but no "C"). Anymore, I just like to tinker with them, and then there's the gambler's thrill now with the rack grades. I did well once, so I just had to press my bet.

The house and cars are paid for, the kid is grown and through college (debt-free), the hooker scene ain't what it used to be, and there's no blow around here to do. What else am I gonna go with my money?

Last edited by bigbossman; 09-29-2022 at 7:03 AM..
Old 09-29-2022, 9:58 AM
Calguns Addict

Well - the boxes just now arrived. I'm afraid to open them up.

Old 09-29-2022, 2:10 PM

Post pictures
Old 09-29-2022, 7:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvso View Post
Post pictures
Pics will come, but in the meantime........Holy crap, I cannot believe what they sent me! Except for some mismatched wood, these rifles are beautiful. Both have replacement barrels with bright shiny bores and there is no pitting visible on the receivers and very little underneath.

Both have USGI walnut stocks, with mismatched handguards. Both stocks are cartouched with Department of Defense cartouche on one and a SA rebuild cartouche on the other. One has a VAR barrel, and the other a Marlin.

Score!!!

Old 09-30-2022, 9:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
Pics will come, but in the meantime........Holy crap, I cannot believe what they sent me! Except for some mismatched wood, these rifles are beautiful. Both have replacement barrels with bright shiny bores and there is no pitting visible on the receivers and very little underneath.

Both have USGI walnut stocks, with mismatched handguards. Both stocks are cartouched with Department of Defense cartouche on one and a SA rebuild cartouche on the other. One has a VAR barrel, and the other a Marlin.

Score!!!
Good score! i'm dabating whether to get one. i already place an order for the round 3 of the 1911s
Old 10-04-2022, 12:20 PM
Calguns Addict

I did a bit of cleanup on the wood. The stocks were USGI walnut with cartouches, so all I did with them was to clean the grime off with mineral spirits and re-oil with BLO. They came out very nice. One of the front hand-guards was walnut, so it got the same treatment. The other front hand-guard and the two rear hand-guards are some sort of other wood - looks like Beech? Little "half moon" grain markings, and does not look like standard Birch.

Anyway - I sanded them smooth as they were rough, glued up some cracks in the front one, and then stained with red mahogany stain. They darkened up quite a bit, but still a couple shades lighter than the walnut. I ordered a "USGI hardwood stock - good" from GPC, as well as a walnut rear hand-guard "USGI used - fair". My plan is to refinish the walnut rear and pair it with the walnut stock and front guard, and refinish and stain the hardwood stock to hopefully match the Beech hand-guards. That way I'll have two nice Garands with new replacement barrels that have (more or less) matching furniture. And bonus - a leftover USGI walnut stock with a DAS cartouche left over for another day.

I can't wait to get these things back together and shoot them. I'm really curious about how they'll do.

Old 10-14-2022, 2:14 PM

I picked up 2 RGs. Both had decent barrels and minor pitting under the woodline. rear sight, op rod, trigger group had heavy pitting.
Old 10-14-2022, 3:25 PM

It sounds like you scored big time. Can’t wait to see the pictures.
Old 10-15-2022, 8:23 PM

Quote:
[...]
Both have USGI walnut stocks, with mismatched handguards. Both stocks are cartouched with Department of Defense cartouche on one and a SA rebuild cartouche on the other. One has a VAR barrel, and the other a Marlin. Score!!!
Good for you. Watch out, you might get the fevah and start ordering more. It's kind of like buying a lottery ticket, and sometimes you score.

The VAR barrels are generally good, and likewise the Marlin barrels, which are comparatively uncommon.

The drawing number on the post-war batch of Marlin barrels starts with 65... That batch is of Marlin barrels is well-regarded.

Pictures, please...
Old 10-17-2022, 8:31 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal m1 shooter View Post
Good for you. Watch out, you might get the fevah and start ordering more. It's kind of like buying a lottery ticket, and sometimes you score.

The VAR barrels are generally good, and likewise the Marlin barrels, which are comparatively uncommon.

The drawing number on the post-war batch of Marlin barrels starts with 65... That batch is of Marlin barrels is well-regarded.

Pictures, please...
Pics soon - the guns are apart now while the wood gets refurbed.

I've already ordered six Garands this year (two SG and four RG) so your warning is a bit tardy. Not counting those, I already had 5 in my collection from years past, including a DCM issued M1-D. So, I'm no stranger to this particular disease.

Old 10-17-2022, 8:56 PM

I've had the fevah, too, understand completely.

Part of the problem is, humans usually respond to intermittent reinforcement, which buying CMP Garands can deliver. Between twenty and thirty years ago, I think there was a lot more intermittent reinforcement. But it seems to still be available.
Old 10-18-2022, 12:36 PM

It's a toss of the dice, for sure...this guy received one this month with a bulged barrel: https://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=303495

If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable – what then? -George Orwell, 1984

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. -George Orwell

You're off the edge of the map, mate. Here there be monsters. -Captain Barbossa
Old 10-19-2022, 11:11 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwater View Post
It's a toss of the dice, for sure...
Yeah, I agree. I've gotten lucky twice, with four decent rifles. These last two have new or near new barrels. I can theoretically order two more this year, but I think I'm going to push back from the table and "count my winnings".

Old 10-19-2022, 11:46 AM

Ordered from the CMP for the first time, we will see what my rack grade looks like. How long from the time of order till when they arrive is typical?
Old 10-19-2022, 11:49 AM

Very nice!

Just read that they raised the prices by $50 this week...Rack Grade now $700 instead of $650, and Expert $1150 instead of $1100. Probably a combination of inflation and low supply...they seem to be down to rack grades that are not as good, or expert grades if they replace the main components with new. They also eliminated Service and Field Grade from their price list, so those will probably be in store only sales due to short supply, though they also have a "coming soon" placeholder for RackPlus at $850. Hope they can get the South Korean rifles back at some point, or we might be down to a few small returns here and there and the prices will really climb.

If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable – what then? -George Orwell, 1984

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. -George Orwell

You're off the edge of the map, mate. Here there be monsters. -Captain Barbossa
Old 10-19-2022, 11:59 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pd5190 View Post
Ordered from the CMP for the first time, we will see what my rack grade looks like. How long from the time of order till when they arrive is typical?
This last time it was maybe only 3-4 weeks.

Old 10-19-2022, 12:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwater View Post
Very nice!

Just read that they raised the prices by $50 this week...Rack Grade now $700 instead of $650, and Expert $1150 instead of $1100. Probably a combination of inflation and low supply...they seem to be down to rack grades that are not as good, or expert grades if they replace the main components with new. They also eliminated Service and Field Grade from their price list, so those will probably be in store only sales due to short supply, though they also have a "coming soon" placeholder for RackPlus at $850. Hope they can get the South Korean rifles back at some point, or we might be down to a few small returns here and there and the prices will really climb.
Raised the price, eh? I'm definitely "out".

Old 10-19-2022, 7:26 PM

My order went in with a $650 dollar cashiers check so we will see what they say,
Old 10-21-2022, 4:34 PM

Looks like they accepted my $650 dollar order as they sent a thank you notice.I had mailed the order on Monday before the price increase.
Old 10-21-2022, 8:07 PM

Quote:
[...] I think I'm going to push back from the table and "count my winnings".
This is OK. Nothing shameful about having the wisdom to show restraint.

You have to shoot them a bit now.

It can be painful and humbling but if you have any John Garand/National Match Course/As-issued Milsurp matches locally, they can be fun, too. After 25-30 years I started going back to such matches and greatly enjoyed being humiliated by everyone else. I put a red dot on one of my M1 Garands, which has been good for my scores and enjoyment.

Quote:
Raised the price, eh? I'm definitely "out".
Well, it's only a 7.6% increase, better than 10% for JoeBama.
Old 10-21-2022, 8:16 PM

Quote:

I just realized, the top rifle appears to be shorter than the bottom rifle. What is up with that?
Old 10-22-2022, 12:32 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
This is OK. Nothing shameful about having the wisdom to show restraint.

You have to shoot them a bit now.

It can be painful and humbling but if you have any John Garand/National Match Course/As-issued Milsurp matches locally, they can be fun, too. After 25-30 years I started going back to such matches and greatly enjoyed being humiliated by everyone else. I put a red dot on one of my M1 Garands, which has been good for my scores and enjoyment.
I shoot the local matches and typically score in the mid 450's, which is good enough to usually beat the old codgers round here.

Last edited by bigbossman; 10-23-2022 at 7:01 PM..
Old 10-22-2022, 3:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I just realized, the top rifle appears to be shorter than the bottom rifle. What is up with that?
Optical illusion. They are the same.

Old 10-23-2022, 4:29 PM
Calguns Addict

Finally took them out for a spin today. After getting them zeroed, I fired a three shot group from each one at 100 yards. First pic is the blond one with the marlin barrel, second one is the walnut one with the VAR barrel.

Old 10-23-2022, 4:56 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Finally took them out for a spin today. After getting them zeroed, I fired a three shot group from each one at 100 yards. First pic is the blond one with the marlin barrel, second one is the walnut one with the VAR barrel.

Very nice. Typical M1 accuracy. I'd be very pleased with that.

DONT FEED TROLLS! If I don't respond to your posts, its because you aren't worth responding to!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
I am absolutely staggered that there are actually people on this forum stupid enough to believe Putin is anything other than a murderous pile of dogs**t filth and to actually buy in to the whole idiotic 'nazis in Ukraine' crap.

Just, wow...
Old 10-23-2022, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Optical illusion. They are the same.
That is trippy, it is quite an illusion.

Quote:
Nice shooting, what kind of ammo?
Old 10-23-2022, 6:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
That is trippy, it is quite an illusion.

Nice shooting, what kind of ammo?
My super-secret, super-duper hand loads.

Old 10-24-2022, 9:49 AM

Quote:
My super-secret, super-duper hand loads.
If you have any HXP, CMP remade ammo, or LC to pit your loads against, it could be interesting. Next time you hit the range with those? Or maybe you already have that data?

I don't want to take the thread sideways but I have considered reloading for M1 shooting when retirement livin' commences. Cast bullets or jacketed in your loads?
Old 10-24-2022, 12:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
If you have any HXP, CMP remade ammo, or LC to pit your loads against, it could be interesting. Next time you hit the range with those? Or maybe you already have that data?

I don't want to take the thread sideways but I have considered reloading for M1 shooting when retirement livin' commences. Cast bullets or jacketed in your loads?
Honestly, I haven't shot milsurp through a Garand in a decade or more. I've been reloading for them from since the late 90's. Every once in a while Richmond or Chabot would have an "as-issued" Garand match, and they would require military ball for those. In those matches, I shot either Korean, HXP, or LC ball - whatever I or they had on-hand to use. As an aside - the Korean was crap, and I had a few cases of them causing me an alibi. HXP is good stuff, but I don't have any data left somewhere to say how good. It was pretty accurate, and the brass reloads forever.

I use HXP and LC cases interchangeably with a Winchester LR primer, 45 grains of H4895, and a 168gr HPBT match bullet. Gets me a win more often than not, and when not it is because I screwed up a string somewhere - either had a crappy off-hand, or didn't dope properly for one of the rapid -fires. Slow prone, they all pretty much go where I need them to go.

Last edited by bigbossman; 10-24-2022 at 12:43 PM..