Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-04-2022, 5:08 PM
TheChief's Avatar
TheChief TheChief is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,786
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default What medical supplies to keep stocked at home for post event?

I was an EMT 30 years ago and am a current WFR and have built a kit based on my skill set and what I am willing to do post-event. The list below is what I am working towards having at my home and BOL. It is not intended for carrying or having in the vehicle.

I have a number of large rugged bins that I had used to contain all the extra first aid gear I had accumulated over the past decade going through training and being the first aider for a number of multi-night events for hundreds of campers. I was giving some thought to what I would want to have in stock should an event occur and I wanted to provide health and trauma coverage for my family and neighbors, when hospitals were no longer available. The list below is what I came up with based on my capabilities and what I would be willing to do. The list only contains items, not numbers. I am still working up that part of the effort but if you use the list as the basis for your supplies, you will need to use your own numbers based on your circumstances.

So while I know internal bleeding and some gun shots are beyond my skills, I would try to treat a sucking chest wound, lacerations, broken bones, skin infections and other injuries that may occur and would be deadly but for proper care someone like me could provide to my family and neighbors. Think what doctors could do back in the 1800's but with germ theory, hygiene, and antibiotics.

Wound Care
• Dressings, Pads, and Sponges
  • Gauze, 2" x 2", sterile
  • Gauze, 4" x 4", sterile
  • Gauze sponge, 3” x 3”, non-sterile
  • Gauze sponge, 4” x 4”, non-sterile
  • Gauze rolls, 3”
  • Gauze rolls, 4”
  • Combine/Trauma/ABD 5" x 9"
  • Combine/Trauma/ABD, 8" x 10"
  • Combine/Trauma/ABD, 12” x 30”
  • Z-folded, compressed, sterile, gauze, 4.5” x 4.1 yards
  • Band-Aids, misc. sizes
  • Oval Eye Pad
  • Occlusive Dressing, 2.375” x 2.75”
  • Occlusive Dressing, 4” x 4.75”
  • Occlusive Dressing, 6” x 8”
• Bandages
  • Cohesive Bandage 2” x 5 yards
  • Medium Trauma/Combat Bandage
  • Large Trauma/Combat Bandage
• Tape
  • Silk tape 1” x 10’
  • Silk tape 2” x 10’
  • Steri-strip Ľ” x 3”
  • Steri-strip ˝” x 4”
• Closures
  • Nylon Suture, 3/0
  • Nylon Suture, 5/0
  • Forceps - Mayo Hegar Needle Holder
  • Irrigation Syringe, 60 mL, Luer lock
  • Irrigation tips, Luer lock
  • Skin stapler and remover


Infection Control
• BSI
  • XL medical grade nitrile gloves
  • LG medical grade nitrile gloves
  • SM medical grade nitrile gloves
  • Masks
  • Face shields
  • CPR barriers
  • Biohazard bags
• Antiseptic
  • Clorox bleach (Dakin’s solution and materials)
  • Benzoin tincture
  • Iosopropyl alcohol (bottle)
  • Isopropyl alcohol wipes
  • Povidone-Iodine wipes
  • Povidone-Iodine surgical scrub brush/sponge
• Antibiotics
  • Trible antibiotic ointment


OTCs - Get something for each category, not each item in the category
• Pain
  • Ibuprofen (Motrin)
  • Aspirin
  • Acetaminophen (Tylenol, Paracetamol)
  • Naproxen (Aleve)
• Swelling (Anti-Inflammatory)
  • Ibuprofen (Motrin)
  • Aspirin
  • Naproxen (Aleve)
• Fever (Antipyretic)
  • Ibuprofen (Motrin)
  • Aspirin
  • Acetaminophen (Tylenol, Paracetamol)
  • Naproxen (Aleve)
• Flu and Cold (combined treatments)
• Cough/Expectorant
  • Guaifenesin (Mucinex, common add to flu or severe cold OTCs)
  • Menthol (Vicks)
  • ‘DM’ combines Dextromethorphan and Guaifenesin
• Decongestant
  • Dextromethorphan (Robitussin, common add to flu or severe cold OTCs)
  • ‘DM’ combines Dextromethorphan and Guaifenesin
• Decongestant (Nasal)
  • Oxymetazoline (Afrin, Dristan, Vicks Sinus Nasal Spray)
  • Phenylephrine (Neo-Synephrine, Sinex, Sudafed PE)
  • Pseudoephedrine (Sudafed)
• Antihistamine (allergies)
  • Diphenhydramine (Benadryl)(will cause drowsiness)
  • Desloratadine (Clarinex)
  • Loratadine (Claritin)
  • Cetirizine (Zyrtec)
  • Fexofenadine (Allegra)
  • Levocetirizine (Xyzal)
• Antacids (heartburn)
  • Magnesium hydroxide (Milk of Magnesia)
  • Bismuth Salicylate (Bismuth)
  • Cimetidine (Tagamet)
  • Calcium Carbonate (TUMS)
• Anti-Diarrheal
  • Magnesium hydroxide (Milk of Magnesia)
  • Loperamide (Diamode or Ultra A-D)
  • Bismuth Salicylate (Bismuth)
• Upset Stomach
  • Magnesium hydroxide (Milk of Magnesia)
  • Bismuth Salicylate (Bismuth)
  • Calcium Carbonate (TUMS)
• Laxative
  • Magnesium hydroxide (Milk of Magnesia)
  • Bisacodyl (Dulcolax)
• Anesthetic (topical pain killer)
  • Lidocaine (not for mucosal tissue!)
  • Benzocaine (used for oral pain)
  • Bactine (antiseptic and lidocaine)
• Antifungal (athletes’ foot, jock itch, ring worm, thrush, yeast infection)
  • Tolnaftate (not for mucosal tissue!)
  • Clotrimazole (Lotrimin, Monistat))
• Skin Treatment (rash, psoriasis, eczema, dermatitis)
  • Hydrocortisone (Cortizone-10)(topical steroid)
  • Calamine (lotion, Caladryl)
  • Gold Bond
• Bug bite
  • Sting Eze
  • After-bite
  • Hydrocortisone (Cortizone-10)(topical steroid)
• Dehydration Related
  • Pedialyte (powder)
  • Liquid IV (powder)
  • Electrolyte tablets


Bleeding Control
  • Tourniquets (C-A-T)
  • Z-Fold dressings
  • Hemostatic agents (Quikclot, Celot)
  • Skin glue (Mastisol)
  • Trauma shears


Burn Management
  • Sunscreen
  • Dressing, Non-Adherent, Sterile, 3" x 4"
  • Petrolatum Gauze
  • Burn gel dressing 3” x 4”
  • Burn gel ointment (bottle)
  • Burn gel ointment (individual dose)
  • Aloe Vera Gel with Lidocaine, 1 oz
  • GlacierGel, Blister & Burn Dressing
  • Moleskin
  • Blister Pads
  • Sterile Hypodermic Needles


Ortho
  • SAM Splints (36” and finger)
  • Splinting materials
  • Bandage, Triangular, Cravat
  • Ace wraps
  • Ice packs


Dental (more research needed)
  • Anbesol (bottle)
  • Temporary Cavity Filling Mixture
  • Dental pick set
  • Floss
  • Dental mirror
  • Dental extracting forceps


Misc.
  • Glass thermometer (mercury or alcohol)
  • Sharpies
  • Pen and notepad in a sealed Ziploc bag
  • Pen light spare batteries
  • Casualty blanket
  • Hot/cold water bottle
  • 4 liters – Sterile saline
  • 2x magnifying glasses
  • 4x magnifying glasses
  • Forceps - Magill (bent oral)
  • Forceps - Bent and straight
  • Forceps - Hemostats (locking)
  • Forceps - Tweezers, needle
  • Forceps - Scissors
  • Probe
  • Q-tips
  • NPA (Nasopharyngeal airway)
  • OPA (Oropharyngeal airway)
  • Bug Spray
  • Eye wash unit
  • Tongue depressor
  • Bulb suction syringe
__________________
All things being equal...

Last edited by TheChief; 09-27-2022 at 8:08 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-04-2022, 5:15 PM
Vinnie Boombatz's Avatar
Vinnie Boombatz Vinnie Boombatz is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 2,317
iTrader: 24 / 100%
Default

Nope. All I carry in my car, range bag or when I go hiking is a tourniquet, trauma shears, quick clot gauze and a CPR mask along with a couple 4x4's and some super glue and a couple pair of gloves. If you need more than that in the moment you'r probably not going to survive, and if you need less you can probably get yourself to the ER yourself or via someone else without dying. Keeping a bunch of gauze, saline and tape is false insurance, but that's just my opinion, of course!
__________________

Last edited by Vinnie Boombatz; 07-04-2022 at 5:19 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-04-2022, 7:15 PM
bruss01's Avatar
bruss01 bruss01 is online now
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,201
iTrader: 23 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie Boombatz View Post
Nope. All I carry in my car, range bag or when I go hiking is a tourniquet, trauma shears, quick clot gauze and a CPR mask along with a couple 4x4's and some super glue and a couple pair of gloves. If you need more than that in the moment you'r probably not going to survive, and if you need less you can probably get yourself to the ER yourself or via someone else without dying. Keeping a bunch of gauze, saline and tape is false insurance, but that's just my opinion, of course!
I can see your point, and it is a good point for normal times where 1st world medical attention is mere minutes or hours away.

I believe OP is referring to extraordinary times where medical help like that is unavailable, available only after great delay, or where the treatment being offered, or terms of service, are unacceptable.

Previous to 2020 such concerns would have been labeled "tinfoil hat" material. But now we realize care is not just between doctors and patients... and that pharmacies can decline to provide medicines prescribed by the patient's doctor. That medical boards can threaten to revoke a doctor's license for speaking their mind, for pursuing treatment for their patients that they believe offers the most effective course for a good outcome.

On top of that, we now see global supply line disruptions where crucial medical materials and medications may suddenly be unavailable that are otherwise taken for granted.

If a "woke" hospital refuses to treat your injury/ailment because of something "hateful" or offensive you posted online, what are your options? They are already threatening to deny your lifesaving 2A rights for that exact reason. You think they won't go further? They can be trusted to stop here?

There are "far out" questions we are now having to grapple with because the medical establishment has decided they can deny lifesaving procedures to people who don't surrender their bodily autonomy to whatever the medical authoritarians deem is "best".

So, call me paranoid but before you do, reflect a moment that 85% of the headlines for the past 2 years would have been called "paranoid" prior to 2020.
__________________
The one thing worse than defeat is surrender.

Last edited by bruss01; 07-04-2022 at 7:46 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-04-2022, 7:42 PM
user120312 user120312 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Coastal Oregon, formerly of California
Posts: 1,018
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

IMO, supplies would depend on location, risk assessment and group involved. Myself, I pulled the employee medical kit out of the shop, combined it with the one already in the truck, added some bulk supplies, mainly antiseptics and superglue, and left it at that.

Last time I was at a doctor was last century and I've made my living in heavy industry my whole life without any significant injury, not to mention auto racing as a hobby and using dangerous power tools routinely away from work.

When one is tens of miles from a hospital and tens of minutes to hours from any ambulance/EMT service, one pays attention to safety. That's a medical kit that costs nothing.

TBH, over the decades, the most used supplies have been antiseptics and superglue, along with some bandages. Most used 'drug' has been generic Aleve. I've got a drug box but never used it. Pharma hasn't had a good customer here.

The lady across the road in Oregon is a retired nurse and she does a lot of herbal stuff too and seems to have a good stock of medical supplies. I'm a good handyman. It works out.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-04-2022, 8:05 PM
Vinnie Boombatz's Avatar
Vinnie Boombatz Vinnie Boombatz is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 2,317
iTrader: 24 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruss01 View Post
I can see your point, and it is a good point for normal times where 1st world medical attention is mere minutes or hours away.

I believe OP is referring to extraordinary times where medical help like that is unavailable, available only after great delay, or where the treatment being offered, or terms of service, are unacceptable.

Previous to 2020 such concerns would have been labeled "tinfoil hat" material. But now we realize care is not just between doctors and patients... and that pharmacies can decline to provide medicines prescribed by the patient's doctor. That medical boards can threaten to revoke a doctor's license for speaking their mind, for pursuing treatment for their patients that they believe offers the most effective course for a good outcome.

On top of that, we now see global supply line disruptions where crucial medical materials and medications may suddenly be unavailable that are otherwise taken for granted.

If a "woke" hospital refuses to treat your injury/ailment because of something "hateful" or offensive you posted online, what are your options? They are already threatening to deny your lifesaving 2A rights for that exact reason. You think they won't go further? They can be trusted to stop here?

There are "far out" questions we are now having to grapple with because the medical establishment has decided they can deny lifesaving procedures to people who don't surrender their bodily autonomy to whatever the medical authoritarians deem is "best".

So, call me paranoid but before you do, reflect a moment that 85% of the headlines for the past 2 years would have been called "paranoid" prior to 2020.
I think you still have that tinfoil hat on. But I'll entertain your point regarding if a "woke" hospital at some point refuses you service. If it's a true life-saving emergency and you need true medical attention you're stockpile of stuff isn't going to do you any good.

If you need actual life saving medical attention from true professionals to save your life I'm pretty sure you're screwed unless you have the actual tools and supplies needed along along with people who actually know how to use it properly. It's like the person who buys a gun and a box of bullets and never goes to the range and has a false sense of security simply because they have that firearm. Same thing with medical equipment. You can acquire all the gear you think you need, but unless you possess the training, experience and critical thinking to know what to actually do and what to use you're simply fooling yourself. But feel free to stock up on band-aids and cause, saline, tape, IV's, antibiotics, etc. and whatever else you think you need to ease your mind.

My point is it is really bad and a true emergency you're probably hosed. Everything else that isn't life threatening isn't going to have the outcome changed by some gauze or a band-aid.

You'd probably get more mileage stocking up on stuff like Benadryl or Immodium and some sort of water purification to minimize something like a severe allergic reaction or diarrhea (which can be life threatening) than you would with a lot of other stuff that's just filler in most first aid kits.
__________________

Last edited by Vinnie Boombatz; 07-04-2022 at 8:20 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-04-2022, 10:31 PM
ChuckD ChuckD is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,295
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

I'm not a medical professional, but I was raised by a RN, and got some training from a Corpsman friend.

I carry a tourniquet, quick clot, superglue, 2 suture kits, trauma scissors, splint, extra bandages, a couple IV's & bags of sterile saline, gloves, & a couple bottle of alcohol. I also have a couple antibiotics, pain meds, and extra Atenolol which in an absolute emergency could be given to minimize effects of a heart attack/stroke (I take it daily and it's primary recipient would be me, but in case of a true emergency I would give it a try). I don't have one, but if you can get it an epi-pen or 2 would be useful. I can use all these things - but I'll admit you wouldn't really want me giving you an IV unless you were out of all other options (that said if you really need it - a sore arms from 12 attempts will be the least of your worries).

I feel like the main things you'll have to worry about in a SHTF situation where hospitals are not an option will be gunshot wounds, knife wounds, broken bones from falls, heart attacks/strokes, infections, & dehydration - I think preparing for these things is relatively easy and can increase your chance of survival not just in a SHTF environment but also (for example) on a hunting trip where you are a multiple day hike from civilization.

I do agree that some things are not worth worrying about or preparing for - if you are an insulin dependent diabetic or need actual surgery (say a bullet nicks your liver or your appendix bursts), you are just out of luck.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-05-2022, 5:55 AM
FeuerFrei's Avatar
FeuerFrei FeuerFrei is online now
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: sign said "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here"
Posts: 7,222
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

This is my checklist for general purpose medical needs. Not complete (on purpose) for this discussion but my list may prime the info pump and encourage some drive by readers to do some research.
I've used all of this stuff at one time or another out here in rural America. We are far enough out that the "golden hour" is used up in drive time unless we are transporting. YOYO until als shows up, so...

Aspirin uncoated plain adult strength plus chewables
Acetaminophen
Ibuprofen
Goody’s Powder form (acetaminophen)
Diphenhydramine
Hydrogen peroxide
91% rubbing alcohol
Betadine
bottled water 1pt sizes
Sugar packets
Salt packets

fabric band aids assorted
4x4 bandages
3x4 rollers
2x3 non stick wound dressing
safety pins
large white cotton dish towels
trauma shears
triple antibiotic ointment
bottle generic eye wash
small size empty spray bottle < 1 pt
swat tourniquet
xxl nitrile gloves
butterfly sutures

sharpie pen
note book
gorilla tape
tweezers
disposable scalpel
BIC disposable razor
BIC lighter
Magnifying glass
Pen light
Head lamp
Spare batts
small size beanie baby ;-)
stress ball ;-)
Popsicle sticks
cloth tape
Super glue
first aid book
xxl t-shirt
13 gallon trash bags
Ziploc sandwich bags
mylar blanket
__________________
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --

Last edited by FeuerFrei; 07-05-2022 at 7:36 AM.. Reason: fargin smell check derp
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-05-2022, 6:17 AM
twinfin twinfin is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 763
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruss01 View Post
I can see your point, and it is a good point for normal times where 1st world medical attention is mere minutes or hours away.

I believe OP is referring to extraordinary times where medical help like that is unavailable, available only after great delay, or where the treatment being offered, or terms of service, are unacceptable.

Previous to 2020 such concerns would have been labeled "tinfoil hat" material. But now we realize care is not just between doctors and patients... and that pharmacies can decline to provide medicines prescribed by the patient's doctor. That medical boards can threaten to revoke a doctor's license for speaking their mind, for pursuing treatment for their patients that they believe offers the most effective course for a good outcome.

On top of that, we now see global supply line disruptions where crucial medical materials and medications may suddenly be unavailable that are otherwise taken for granted.

If a "woke" hospital refuses to treat your injury/ailment because of something "hateful" or offensive you posted online, what are your options? They are already threatening to deny your lifesaving 2A rights for that exact reason. You think they won't go further? They can be trusted to stop here?

There are "far out" questions we are now having to grapple with because the medical establishment has decided they can deny lifesaving procedures to people who don't surrender their bodily autonomy to whatever the medical authoritarians deem is "best".

So, call me paranoid but before you do, reflect a moment that 85% of the headlines for the past 2 years would have been called "paranoid" prior to 2020.
Your assessment is absolutely spot on. My family were the victims of a pharmacist, at the behest of a tyrannical state governor, overriding our doctors' prescription for ivermectin, forcing us deeper into the underground medical system to obtain it. Medical tyranny is a real thing and it is here!

Now, back to the Chief's query; there is a very excellent book that details a host of ordinary items that one can stock in order to treat a wide range of maladies when routine options are no longer available. That book is The Doomsday Book of Medicine https://www.amazon.com/Doomsday-Book...%2C2223&sr=1-1

It is an excellent reference source for you prepper library that contains, among other things, good lists of things to get now so you can keep small problems small in an uncertain future. I highly recommend it especially if you already have a little bit of medical training and experience.

The physician-author does a superb job of describing a wide range of alternative means of treating a wide range of problems when standard methods are unobtainable. Just as important as basic medical supplies is a good reference library on the shelf to go to when the internet is down, help is unavailable and you need information now. To that end, this book is a must-have in my opinion and has the lists TheChief was asking about.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-05-2022, 7:40 AM
FeuerFrei's Avatar
FeuerFrei FeuerFrei is online now
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: sign said "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here"
Posts: 7,222
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Where There Is No Doctor: A Village Health Care Handbook
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Where_There_Is_No_Doctor

Very good read/reference.
__________________
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-05-2022, 4:33 PM
mk2dave mk2dave is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 316
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

TheChief, what restraints are we to consider? Is space, mobility, or distance from civilization a concern? When hiking up something big, I rely on 3 triangle bandages, figuring I can improvise a splint, tourney, or bandages if needed. Anything else is considered a luxury.

If you can elaborate on the situation, I think we can give some more directed advice.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-05-2022, 5:14 PM
castgold's Avatar
castgold castgold is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,527
iTrader: 26 / 100%
Default

Sometimes when I go fishing, we're far from a hospital. I've made kits that contain the following, and every kit has been used, particularly the lidocaine.
Betadine
Lidocaine
Needles/syringes
sutures
gloves
scissors
needle holders
butterfly sutures
tape
gauze
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-05-2022, 5:48 PM
TheChief's Avatar
TheChief TheChief is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,786
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk2dave View Post
TheChief, what restraints are we to consider? Is space, mobility, or distance from civilization a concern? When hiking up something big, I rely on 3 triangle bandages, figuring I can improvise a splint, tourney, or bandages if needed. Anything else is considered a luxury.

If you can elaborate on the situation, I think we can give some more directed advice.
Hello MK2Dave,

This question is geared to sheltering in place either at home or the BOL with lots of space for storage. As I mentioned, I am a former EMT and current WFR so all my kits are based on what I know and can treat today. I am not asking about surgical instruments or a pharmacy, but rather what others with medical training are stocking at there home for long periods without support from hospitals or Docs. So while I know internal bleeding and some gun shots are beyond my skills, I would try to treat a sucking chest wound, lacerations, broken bones, skin infections and other injuries that may occur and would be deadly but for proper care someone like me could provide to my family and neighbors. Think what doctors could do back in 1800's but with germ theory, hygiene, and antibiotics.

While not my intended topic, I also have a large trauma bag, that I know how to use, to throw in the truck if I have to bug out and a smaller but well stocked one if I have to go on foot.

My medical skills are part of what I have to offer communities if I have to do the long walk or leave my home and BOL.
__________________
All things being equal...

Last edited by TheChief; 07-05-2022 at 5:51 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-05-2022, 5:55 PM
TheChief's Avatar
TheChief TheChief is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,786
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinfin View Post
...Now, back to the Chief's query; there is a very excellent book that details a host of ordinary items that one can stock in order to treat a wide range of maladies when routine options are no longer available. That book is The Doomsday Book of Medicine https://www.amazon.com/Doomsday-Book...%2C2223&sr=1-1

It is an excellent reference source for you prepper library that contains, among other things, good lists of things to get now so you can keep small problems small in an uncertain future. I highly recommend it especially if you already have a little bit of medical training and experience.

The physician-author does a superb job of describing a wide range of alternative means of treating a wide range of problems when standard methods are unobtainable. Just as important as basic medical supplies is a good reference library on the shelf to go to when the internet is down, help is unavailable and you need information now. To that end, this book is a must-have in my opinion and has the lists TheChief was asking about.
Thanks Twinfin,

Just ordered it.
__________________
All things being equal...
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-05-2022, 6:52 PM
Rickrock1's Avatar
Rickrock1 Rickrock1 is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Inland Empire
Posts: 5,129
iTrader: 55 / 100%
Default

Stich and staple kit
__________________
CPRA org

“Silence makes cowards out of the best of men” –Abraham Lincoln

🇺🇸 ⚔️ 🦅

Wounded Knee is the prime example of why the Second Amendment exists, and why we shouldn’t be in such a hurry to surrender our Right to Bear Arms.
Without the Second Amendment we have no way to defend ourselves and our families.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-05-2022, 9:02 PM
IronsightsRifleman IronsightsRifleman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 397
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Bactine, which is lidocaine plus a topical anitseptic.
An oral antihistamine (Benadryl).
A topical antihistimine spray (Benadryl).
A decongestant (Sudafed).
An emetic (Ipecac).
A dental anesthetic (Orajel).
Tylenol for fever.
Aleve for muscle pain.
Advil for headache.
Pepto Bismol for GI problems.
Alcohol, Hydrogen Peroxide, bandages, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-05-2022, 9:13 PM
M76's Avatar
M76 M76 is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Urbanized Suburbia
Posts: 4,429
iTrader: 100 / 100%
Default

OP - you’re way ahead of the curve over the average person, and the responses on this thread are highly educational; this is good info to have if the S ever HTF.

Thanks
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunndeal View Post
Stop digging.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-06-2022, 7:09 AM
Garand Hunter Garand Hunter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 2,251
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Anybody ever consider the fish meds sold here and there, I see the websites selling it, not sure if they are safe/effective on us humans ?

www.fishmoxfishflex.com

Psalm 1

Last edited by Garand Hunter; 07-06-2022 at 7:11 AM.. Reason: added sentence
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-06-2022, 8:35 AM
FeuerFrei's Avatar
FeuerFrei FeuerFrei is online now
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: sign said "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here"
Posts: 7,222
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garand Hunter View Post
Anybody ever consider the fish meds sold here and there, I see the websites selling it, not sure if they are safe/effective on us humans ?

www.fishmoxfishflex.com

Psalm 1
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1801499
__________________
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-06-2022, 8:50 AM
mk2dave mk2dave is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 316
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief View Post
Hello MK2Dave,

This question is geared to sheltering in place either at home or the BOL with lots of space for storage. As I mentioned, I am a former EMT and current WFR so all my kits are based on what I know and can treat today. I am not asking about surgical instruments or a pharmacy, but rather what others with medical training are stocking at there home for long periods without support from hospitals or Docs. So while I know internal bleeding and some gun shots are beyond my skills, I would try to treat a sucking chest wound, lacerations, broken bones, skin infections and other injuries that may occur and would be deadly but for proper care someone like me could provide to my family and neighbors. Think what doctors could do back in 1800's but with germ theory, hygiene, and antibiotics.

While not my intended topic, I also have a large trauma bag, that I know how to use, to throw in the truck if I have to bug out and a smaller but well stocked one if I have to go on foot.

My medical skills are part of what I have to offer communities if I have to do the long walk or leave my home and BOL.
So it sounds like your concerns are trauma, ortho, and infection. Based on your background, you should be good with ortho. Trauma: 4x4s, quick clot bandages, tourneys, chest seals, Isreali bandage if you wanna get fancy. Infection: oral antibiotics (my knowledge here is lacking), topical antibiotics, fair amount of vodka both to drink and disinfect, sting cream, and anything else that will help prevent a small issue from becoming a big issue.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-06-2022, 1:05 PM
FeuerFrei's Avatar
FeuerFrei FeuerFrei is online now
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: sign said "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here"
Posts: 7,222
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

sticky here. in case it went invisible... again

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...d.php?t=736540
__________________
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-06-2022, 1:10 PM
dogtooth dogtooth is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 111
iTrader: 22 / 100%
Default

Lot of good input. I'd include some fiberglass casting/splinting material in your kit as well. You can get it on Amazon. Easy to use and lasts a long time. Very useful for broken bones you need to immobilize for longer period of time.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-06-2022, 1:38 PM
Creampuff Creampuff is offline
Village idiot
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,730
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronsightsRifleman View Post
Bactine, which is lidocaine plus a topical anitseptic.
An oral antihistamine (Benadryl).
A topical antihistimine spray (Benadryl).
A decongestant (Sudafed).
An emetic (Ipecac).
A dental anesthetic (Orajel).
Tylenol for fever.
Aleve for muscle pain.
Advil for headache.
Pepto Bismol for GI problems.
Alcohol, Hydrogen Peroxide, bandages, etc.
I'd avoid syrup of ipecac. Rarely to almost never recommended by poison control anymore. Chance of aspiration not worth it, plus charcoal more likely to be effective than ipecac. Plus aleve and advil are both in the same NSAID class, so you can probably consolidate and just keep one or the other.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-06-2022, 5:34 PM
mk2dave mk2dave is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 316
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogtooth View Post
Lot of good input. I'd include some fiberglass casting/splinting material in your kit as well. You can get it on Amazon. Easy to use and lasts a long time. Very useful for broken bones you need to immobilize for longer period of time.
SAM splints are very useful and arent particularly expensive. Unless you know how to reset bones, you need to see a doctor within 10 days of a broken bone. Otherwise, it starts to heal in place. Then you get to watch three doctor's rebreak your arm. Ask me how I know...
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-06-2022, 6:59 PM
TheChief's Avatar
TheChief TheChief is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,786
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk2dave View Post
SAM splints are very useful and arent particularly expensive. Unless you know how to reset bones, you need to see a doctor within 10 days of a broken bone. Otherwise, it starts to heal in place. Then you get to watch three doctor's rebreak your arm. Ask me how I know...
How do you know?

__________________
All things being equal...
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-07-2022, 5:33 PM
mk2dave mk2dave is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 316
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

I remember it well. Sicily, 1987...

Granted, this all happened when I was but a wee young lad, when bones grow faster. So the timeline may be different for us now. But the consideration still stands. Now if it's the EOTWAWNI, a slightly deformed arm isn't catastrophic, but it aint a good thing either.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-22-2022, 8:05 PM
GW's Avatar
GW GW is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: The Evergreen State
Posts: 16,021
iTrader: 24 / 100%
Default

Lots of pain killers
__________________
NRA Benefactor Member
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-22-2022, 8:25 PM
metalmaster metalmaster is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 6
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

If I don't have insulin stored, nothing else will make any difference
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-28-2022, 2:42 AM
madland madland is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 670
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmaster View Post
If I don't have insulin stored, nothing else will make any difference
Or in need of weekly dialysis.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 07-28-2022, 4:35 AM
Librarian's Avatar
Librarian Librarian is offline
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cottage Grove, OR
Posts: 43,285
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmaster View Post
If I don't have insulin stored, nothing else will make any difference
Quote:
Originally Posted by madland View Post
Or in need of weekly dialysis.
Yes, there are persistent conditions that need medication to survive; when the meds are gone, well, survival odds are much decreased. IDDM - Insulin Dependent Diabetes Mellitus aka type 1 diabetes is one of those.

One version of dialysis, a sub-type of Peritoneal Dialysis, does not need a machine, but it's not easy. See https://stanfordhealthcare.org/medic...sis/types.html

What did kidney failure patients do before dialysis? Mostly they died.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 07-28-2022, 4:44 AM
Dirtlaw Dirtlaw is online now
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: OC
Posts: 2,714
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW View Post
Lots of pain killers
Some truth there. Most would prefer a painless departure. If you have to go, go with a smile.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 07-28-2022, 9:23 AM
FeuerFrei's Avatar
FeuerFrei FeuerFrei is online now
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: sign said "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here"
Posts: 7,222
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Just a reminder for this discussion.

This is Kali. There are many "off the books" drug retailers now and quite possibly still doing business during a collapse. You probably already know a guy that knows a guy.

*I consider docs/pharmacy to be the same kinda retailers except they have been made legal by dot gov and the medical cabal at large.
Medicating with no expectation of healing.

Allegedly
__________________
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 07-28-2022, 3:09 PM
FeuerFrei's Avatar
FeuerFrei FeuerFrei is online now
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: sign said "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here"
Posts: 7,222
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Nice list Chief. Good redundancy.

*side note on diphenhydramine. It makes a great topical analgesic. Crush it into powder form, make a paste and apply. It's a great inside/outside itch killer.
*Sleep aid/calmer for people and pets too.

Also

Vinegar will solve most diarrhea problems. Apple cider vinegar is slightly more palatable and mixes well with water/juice or...?
It has many real uses (and some internet fantasy land "cures" that can be ignored)
__________________
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --

Last edited by FeuerFrei; 07-29-2022 at 6:54 AM.. Reason: cleared up
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 07-28-2022, 5:11 PM
BigPimping's Avatar
BigPimping BigPimping is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Norcal. East Bay.
Posts: 20,092
iTrader: 59 / 100%
Default

Retired paramedic here. What you’re going to want is a lot of gauze, 2 and 4 inch Kling Wrap and dressings. Having some sterile water or irrigation is very helpful as well. Keep in mind that stuff does expire overtime and will need to be rotated out. Besides that your normal BLS kit should suffice. As VinnieBoombatz said, Water purification tablets and some very basic antibiotics would also help. If it’s a serious medical emergency, unless you have extensive training and access to much more invasive equipment, you’re screwed.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 07-28-2022, 7:42 PM
Prepped and ready Prepped and ready is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Bay Area, But almost Gone
Posts: 829
iTrader: 34 / 100%
Default

Ive vacuum sealed a good amount of Amoxicillin, azethromicin, oxycodone and a few others. I have a few med kits that can treat sever trama and several of the quick cast kits for broken arms, hands and even enough to do a leg.

Also have a full suture kit. Yes Ive actually sewed myself up before.

Then I have a MyMedic Recon kit as well for back up. I got rid of the red backpack and put everything into a nice REI pack thats waterproof.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 08-04-2022, 12:23 PM
neuron neuron is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 221
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

The post above and only a couple of others earlier mentioned antibiotics, which I consider essential for a prolonged SHTF situation where you may need to deal with serious skin and wound infections and a lot more. To get these legally you need a prescription, but that could be worked out with your physician. The most useful antibiotics are so-called "broad spectrum" antibiotics, like Augmentin (amoxicillin/clavulanate), clarithromycin or azithromycin, and tetracycline or doxycycline. Fluoroquinolones like Cipro or Levaquin have broad antibiotic coverage, but they are known to have serious potential toxicity, aside from allergic reactions which are of course a concern with any antiobiotics.

It is essential to know which antibiotics to use and how to dose them for any given infection.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 08-04-2022, 1:56 PM
FeuerFrei's Avatar
FeuerFrei FeuerFrei is online now
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: sign said "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here"
Posts: 7,222
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron View Post
The post above and only a couple of others earlier mentioned antibiotics, which I consider essential for a prolonged SHTF situation where you may need to deal with serious skin and wound infections and a lot more. To get these legally you need a prescription, but that could be worked out with your physician. The most useful antibiotics are so-called "broad spectrum" antibiotics, like Augmentin (amoxicillin/clavulanate), clarithromycin or azithromycin, and tetracycline or doxycycline. Fluoroquinolones like Cipro or Levaquin have broad antibiotic coverage, but they are known to have serious potential toxicity, aside from allergic reactions which are of course a concern with any antiobiotics.

It is essential to know which antibiotics to use and how to dose them for any given infection.
We had a semi recent discussion on ABX here ...https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1801499
__________________
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 08-04-2022, 3:04 PM
edgerly779 edgerly779 is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: canoga park, ca
Posts: 18,779
iTrader: 108 / 100%
Default

Crazy glue, hemostats. scalpel with disposable blades.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 08-07-2022, 2:57 PM
mk2dave mk2dave is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 316
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Is crazy glue toxic? If it is, and I have no idea, you may want to look into Vet Bond. It's the same idea, specifically not toxic and used by veterinarians. I used to date a vet, and she laughed at me when I suggested crazy glue. Of course, in her world she has access to vet bond and works in sterile conditions, and wasn't willing to consider a SHTF scenario.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 08-07-2022, 3:47 PM
Librarian's Avatar
Librarian Librarian is offline
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cottage Grove, OR
Posts: 43,285
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk2dave View Post
Is crazy glue toxic? If it is, and I have no idea, you may want to look into Vet Bond. It's the same idea, specifically not toxic and used by veterinarians. I used to date a vet, and she laughed at me when I suggested crazy glue. Of course, in her world she has access to vet bond and works in sterile conditions, and wasn't willing to consider a SHTF scenario.
Vetbond/dermabond is more expensive; Krazy Glue sets harder, less flexible.

See also https://www.healthline.com/health/super-glue-on-cuts for a brief discussion, and this https://morethanjustsurviving.com/super-glue-for-cuts/ for a longer one.
__________________
When a Long Train of Abuses and Usurpations, Pursuing Invariably the Same Object, Evinces a Design to Reduce Them [I.E. the People] Under Absolute Despotism, It Is Their Right, It Is Their Duty, to Throw off Such Government, and to Provide New Guards for Their Future Security.”
– Declaration of Independence, July 4th, 1776
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.



Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 08-08-2022, 8:33 AM
xrMike's Avatar
xrMike xrMike is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: waaaaay South Bay
Posts: 7,776
iTrader: 12 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk2dave View Post
I used to date a vet, and she laughed at me when I suggested crazy glue. Of course, in her world she has access to vet bond and works in sterile conditions, and wasn't willing to consider a SHTF scenario.
We understand now why you USED to date her...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 8:01 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2021, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by Calguns.net on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to Calguns.net.



Seams2SewBySusy

Tactical Pants Tactical Boots Military Boots 5.11 Tactical