Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2022, 10:46 AM

Question RV’s and Firearm Ownership - no fixed address?

A nurse friend of mine wants to buy his first-time firearm. He lives in an RV because his work moves around and he and gets his mail at a mail drop (like a UPS store). He explained this to a dealer in San Diego and the dealer told him he could not sell him a gun in CA because he does not have a “permanent residence”. I’m sure there is a way to legally work through this, but I don’t know where to start. I’d be grateful for any suggestions. Thanks.
Old 08-05-2022, 10:52 AM
I need a LIFE!!

There is no solution Unless he rented a spot for the RV and registered to vote with that address. That would give him a government issued doc needed for ATF and a lease agreement for CA DOJ. He could also qualify with a fishing license.

Last edited by taperxz; 08-05-2022 at 10:56 AM..
Old 08-05-2022, 10:52 AM
Just an Old Marine
CGN Contributor

not sure... but.. if he parks his RV at your address does that count..

others we be along shortly to explain
Old 08-05-2022, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member

Homeless people can register to vote at a street corner.. I would assume it's similar for getting an ID in California. There would have to be a way to do it if your homeless, cause hoards of people are homeless.
Old 08-05-2022, 2:53 PM
Veteran Member

It seems that to a large extent if you don't have a permanent residence you are treated as if you have no RKBA or limited RKBA in a number of States and for some Federal purposes. I wonder if this is something that can be challenged in court.
Old 08-05-2022, 2:58 PM

Is he a CA resident? If so, I don't really see why he's having a problem. He has to somehow establish a "permanent" address, and be able to show proof of that permanent address.

He has to have to have some sort of permanent address listed with the travel RN company for tax purposes.

If dude lives out of an RV (I know many RN's who do that as travel RN's) then he obviously has a DL and has some sort of registration for that vehicle with an address on it. If he had a CA DL and the address on his DL and registration match he shouldn't have much trouble obviously. If those addresses don't match then it starts getting more difficult. If he has an out of state license and isn't a CA license it's a moot point.

My suggestion would be for him to get a Real ID and get that RV registered at the same address that appears on his DL.

Last edited by Vinnie Boombatz; 08-05-2022 at 3:11 PM..
Old 08-05-2022, 3:08 PM
Calguns Addict

He has a residence but no address. What's on the DL? Is it a CA DL? Have him get a DL with your address and give him a lease for a room.
If he's got an AZ DL go there to buy - AZ also still has face to face sales. Most sellers want to see a AZ DL and some a AZ CCW (which is also easy to get).
Old 08-05-2022, 3:40 PM
Former cabinetguy
CGN Contributor

He should just use the gun show loop hole.

Can’t somebody do something?!?!?!?!
Old 08-05-2022, 5:33 PM

RV reg has an address. Use that.
Old 08-06-2022, 5:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1NM View Post
He has a residence but no address. What's on the DL? Is it a CA DL? Have him get a DL with your address and give him a lease for a room.
If he's got an AZ DL go there to buy - AZ also still has face to face sales. Most sellers want to see a AZ DL and some a AZ CCW (which is also easy to get).
Great advice, if you want him to risk being charged with a felony for violating PC sec. 27585.
I never practiced criminal nor firearms law.Do not rely on my post, but consult your own attorney.
Old 08-06-2022, 7:05 PM
Enjoying Freedom Everyday
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

If his RV is registered in CA, he had to provide a physical address, not a PO Box or mail forwarding address as "permanent residence. Living in an RV is the same as living in a "bricks and sticks" home which he is entitled to the Castle Doctrine. However, a checking or savings account requires a fixed residential address and a space in an RV park won't pass muster.

As someone else mentioned, if his permanent/fixed address is AZ, they'd need to go there to purchase a firearm. Living in an RV is cost effective, enables easy relocation for work, and is a great life style but it does have its challenges and firearms is one of those challenges. Trust me, go to any RV park, in any state and you'd find 33% or more of the RV'rs have firearms in their RV fir protection.

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty.
Suspect every one who approaches that jewel.
Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force.
Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined."
PATRICK HENRY

Old 08-06-2022, 7:37 PM
Banned

OP hasn't been back to explain any of the question asked above so how can anyone actually help without knowing all the details.

I have a feeling his "buddy" or maybe he is asking for himself, in any case, they are in CA but living in an RV as a traveling nurse and wants a firearm for protection or whatever reason. Registration of the RV (CA address) probably is no longer valid or someone is registering the RV for them. There is no workaround if don't have a physical address. I don't think or I'm not sure if CA DMV would take a lease form a address from a RV park.

If this friend is from out of state and travels in his RV for work, check with his home state and purchase a gun there. In AZ, to my recollection, ADOT allows getting an AZ DL with a one week lease from RV/Camp grounds address.
Old 08-06-2022, 11:37 PM

California requires this:

1. A current driver's license
2. Current registration
3. Proof of Insurance.

All should have the same address...

A traveling RN that can't provide an actual home address (Parents, son or daughter etc) sounds a little fishy in this scenario. Traveling RN=bucks
OP post count (2)

My 2 cents. Rent a room in some cheap place like San Bernardino 300 bucks Mo you have a place to pick up your credit cards, all snail mail that demands we have a physical address and your good to go

Last edited by Mark49; 08-06-2022 at 11:47 PM..
Old 08-07-2022, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member

rk49;27147329]California requires this:

1. A current driver's license
2. Current registration
3. Proof of Insurance.

All should have the same address...

A traveling RN that can't provide an actual home address (Parents, son or daughter etc) sounds a little fishy in this scenario. Traveling RN=bucks
OP post count (2)

My 2 cents. Rent a room in some cheap place like San Bernardino 300 bucks Mo you have a place to pick up your credit cards, all snail mail that demands we have a physical address and your good to go[/QUOTE]

Is the part about proof of insurance something new? I see where San Jose was enacting such an ordinance but the whole state?

Also, some on the net talk about getting mail service from a UPS Store that comes with a street address instead of and no Postal Box. That may give you a street address, but I question that it is tyour residence address, but apparently is used by some to get a driver's license. Here is an article on getting a street address. My point being that a street address may be fine for certain purposes, but not for others,
I never practiced criminal nor firearms law.Do not rely on my post, but consult your own attorney.

Last edited by Chewy65; 08-07-2022 at 11:06 AM..
Old 08-07-2022, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy65 View Post
Is the part about proof of insurance something new? I see where San Jose was enacting such an ordinance but the whole state?
I think he's referring to insurance for the auto/mobile home.

Also, the travel RN has to have a permanent address on file somewhere with the travel company that they are working with. It's a requirement for tax purposes. So where is this address? Is in in CA or another state? Many travel RN's I know who travel within CA have a permanent address in another state. This benefits the RN because you will be taxed on your housing if you're registered address is something like 50 miles or less from your current assignment. If it's greater than 50 miles you don't get taxed on the housing stipend (if you decide to take the stipend and find your own housing like this particular RN the OP is fronds with is doing).

Last edited by Vinnie Boombatz; 08-07-2022 at 10:54 AM..
Old 08-07-2022, 11:33 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Here you must be invested in the system in order to exercise a fundamental right.

The homeless or 'landless' are discriminated against and denied their rights here.
Old 08-07-2022, 2:07 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB-Stacker View Post
If his RV is registered in CA, he had to provide a physical address, not a PO Box or mail forwarding address as "permanent residence. Living in an RV is the same as living in a "bricks and sticks" home which he is entitled to the Castle Doctrine. However, a checking or savings account requires a fixed residential address and a space in an RV park won't pass muster.
While in CA...

If the motor home/RV/camper is parked and hooked up, in a designated RV/camping area, then it's considered a residence.
^During this time period and within the vehicle, firearms can be loaded and do not have to be locked up.

If the motor home/RV/camper is parked in a non-designated RV area (on or along a road/highway, in a commercial or public parking lot, etc), then it's considered a vehicle.
^Handguns need to be unloaded and in a locked container.
~Long guns need to be unloaded.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 08-07-2022, 2:37 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Your home isn't a home unless it's parked in a Excremento approved area, one requiring a fee.

You must be invested in the system to exercise your rights.
Old 08-08-2022, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member

What does his drivers license say?

RV registration?