Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > 2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion Discuss California 2A related litigation and legal topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 06-21-2022, 12:53 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Bruen impact on other permits, IE CA Dangerous Weapons

With the Bruen ruling on the horizon, I started thinking about how it may apply to other permits and situations. For instance, California, obviously, has many restrictions in place but does issue a permit that allows ownership of the restricted firearm.

Is it possible that Bruen would remove any good cause requirement for other permits?
Old 06-21-2022, 2:24 PM

No one can answer that until the opinion is issued and the language it uses. It will probably NOT deal with allowable firearms since that is not within the scope of the issue submitted, the briefs, or the argument.
Old 06-21-2022, 3:08 PM
I need a LIFE!!

From the limited information I can find, it seems the dangerous weapons permit is rarely issued, and mostly to businesses or armories for movies due to the good cause requirement. I know Bruen is dealing with CCW but it also involved good cause. I was just thinking about how it could carry over to other permits that also require good cause.
Old 06-21-2022, 4:33 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Strict scrutiny will change everything, eventually, provided you live that long.
Old 06-21-2022, 4:40 PM

Default Yeah, timing is everything...

Quote:
Originally Posted by guntrust View Post
Strict scrutiny will change everything, eventually, provided you live that long.
I don't think I'll be ordering a P90 anytime soon.
Old 06-23-2022, 9:45 AM

Bruen reaffirmed Heller. Heller acknowledged the 2A as an Individual Right, for self defense within the home.

Bruen Acknowledged that Self Defense doesn't stop at the front door and expands the right to all but "Sensitive Places" in Public with government interest only very narrowly tailored ie. Strict Scrutiny.
Old 06-23-2022, 10:50 AM

The opinion in full is on the SC web page. I did scan it fast for all the pertinent information. Suffice it to say there will be plenty of daylight in this opinion for the appeals courts to keep up their usual mischief with other things like magazine limits…
Old 06-23-2022, 11:42 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Nothing will happen in CA because of this. We won, they lost, but they will make a new law that will also go to SCOTUS and we will have no changes until that one is decided, if they lose again, they will make a law that will go to SCOTUS and nothing changes.

Anyone that thinks this win will change anything is a dreamer. Sheriff Brown of SB County certainly will NEVER issue a CCW, EVER !!!

We win the battles, but that is how they will win the war, keeping us in court.

NRA Benefactor Member
. CRPA Member
Old 06-23-2022, 2:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHNFRANK View Post
The opinion in full is on the SC web page. I did scan it fast for all the pertinent information. Suffice it to say there will be plenty of daylight in this opinion for the appeals courts to keep up their usual mischief with other things like magazine limits…
Note that this is the case for *all* court decisions, whether you like their outcome or not. Their precedent only covers what the court is asked to decide. While I share your cynicism (if not outright pessimism), there are plenty of cases that will force SCOTUS to answer those questions directly, including the mag cap question.

We may not get the answer we want, but Bruen would never have been that regardless of outcome.

"“[S]cientific proof” of both gun-rights and gun-control theories “is very hard to get”; therefore, requiring “some substantial scientific proof to show that a [firearm] law will indeed substantially reduce crime and injury” is tantamount to applying strict scrutiny to, and almost certainly will lead to invalidation of, the law." - Kamala Harris

Lawyers and their Stockholm Syndrome
Old 06-23-2022, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisfong View Post
Note that this is the case for *all* court decisions, whether you like their outcome or not. Their precedent only covers what the court is asked to decide. While I share your cynicism (if not outright pessimism), there are plenty of cases that will force SCOTUS to answer those questions directly, including the mag cap question.

We may not get the answer we want, but Bruen would never have been that regardless of outcome.
BUT…SCOTUS actually has to take those cases and they only hear and decide 1% of the cases they are presented. So the chances are that the appeals court will be the court of last resort in most if not all of them. Gavin already said today that a “new carry law will be introduced next week” so nothing will change at all and will most likely get much worse.

Meanwhile my permit renewal sits, unreviewed…
Old 06-23-2022, 2:30 PM

California declared itself a rogue state immune to federal laws and requirements a long time ago. I doubt you will see any changes here for the better.
If you are not familiar with the below sites, I encourage you to check them out and use them for cash back and great deals on ammo from Cabela's and such. Check the deals forum here on calguns and you will see a lot of us using these now. If you are kind enough to sign up through my below referral links, we both get instant bonus rewards. Thanks!

http://activejunky.com/invite/186564
http://www.swagbucks.com/p/register?rb=32948177
Old 06-23-2022, 3:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHNFRANK View Post
they only hear and decide 1% of the cases
GVRs do not require this. That said, I expect it will be an uphill battle in CA, regardless.

"“[S]cientific proof” of both gun-rights and gun-control theories “is very hard to get”; therefore, requiring “some substantial scientific proof to show that a [firearm] law will indeed substantially reduce crime and injury” is tantamount to applying strict scrutiny to, and almost certainly will lead to invalidation of, the law." - Kamala Harris

Lawyers and their Stockholm Syndrome