Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 09-19-2021, 11:58 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead714 View Post
If you have the left side of rifle that is practically unusable and the rifle itself largely unadaptable to left handed shooters, that weapon is not as good.
Pfft. Lefty here, no difficulty using 'em. Nitpick, nitpick, big whoop. The OP wants what he wants and is looking for help/advice getting what he wants. Your nitpicks are irrelevant.

OP, the PTR is decent. Not the same as the "real thing", but as has already been said, replace the cheap furniture with HK goods and it'll work fine. Best bet IMO is featureless. I wouldn't touch a Century unless you either know what to check or have someone who will do it for you.

Last edited by Grumpyoldretiredcop; 09-19-2021 at 12:02 PM..
Old 09-19-2021, 5:00 PM

If you want to hate on the G3/HK91/PTR91, this is your man.

https://youtu.be/bWvVRX6r5oo

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis
Old 09-19-2021, 7:04 PM

Ptr-91 featureless they don’t make mag lock versions of them so it’s the only way to be legal
Old 09-19-2021, 10:01 PM

A G3 or clone isn't quite as reliable as a FAL or as accurate as an M1A, but it's still an excellent and dependable weapon.
Old 09-19-2021, 10:03 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpyoldretiredcop View Post
Pfft. Lefty here, no difficulty using 'em. Nitpick, nitpick, big whoop. The OP wants what he wants and is looking for help/advice getting what he wants. Your nitpicks are irrelevant.

OP, the PTR is decent. Not the same as the "real thing", but as has already been said, replace the cheap furniture with HK goods and it'll work fine. Best bet IMO is featureless. I wouldn't touch a Century unless you either know what to check or have someone who will do it for you.

Agreed. I’ve owned an actual 91, a Greek springfield sar8, and a ptr GI model. A few parts swaps and the ptr will leave you wanting for nothing. I wouldn’t take a century clone for free. Every gun shop and gun show here has a century sitting in their rack, where they will die.
Old 09-20-2021, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PogoJack View Post
If you want to hate on the G3/HK91/PTR91, this is your man.

https://youtu.be/bWvVRX6r5oo

LOL... a small Perst-4M works underneath that AIM rail, 5.6 oz. It even clears a Fab Defense bipod. But he is right, you will spend money and it will give you a work out. The latter is good though.
Old 09-21-2021, 8:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Don't forget the HK SR9 series, it missed the name ban.

As for reliability.. as much as I like my FALs etc., look at God forsaken crapholes like Somalia. What are the rifles they're still using after a couple decades? Mostly AKs and G3s.

I'm curious how the ARs in Afghanistan hold up over time given the 3rd world abuse they're about to receive.
Old 09-22-2021, 4:57 PM

How do those third world troglodytes measure the bolt gap?
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis
Old 09-22-2021, 5:24 PM

Quote:
How do those third world troglodytes measure the bolt gap?
Trial and error. Nah, the real answer is they don't. Use rifle until rifle breaks. Get different rifle.
Old 09-22-2021, 6:57 PM

Took mine out this morning, had some Prvi PPU at 300 yards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image3.jpg (16.2 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3318.jpg (94.2 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg image1.jpg (16.1 KB, 48 views)
Old 09-23-2021, 2:52 PM
Calguns Addict

DrewN has it right. The ones that seem to keep ticking are AKs and G3s. I bet their bores are atrocious and they become 5 moa guns, but they keep on firing
Old 09-23-2021, 6:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saki302 View Post
DrewN has it right. The ones that seem to keep ticking are AKs and G3s. I bet their bores are atrocious and they become 5 moa guns, but they keep on firing
I suspect their bores are actually pretty clean. I recall seeing some Russian video where their navy caught some Somali pirates, the guns were rusted junkpiles but their internals were relatively clean. Those 3rd world militias were just too cheap to let their people shoot off too many rounds.
Old 09-24-2021, 10:46 AM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I have a Portuguese G3 available. It is not on the list. I just shot it last weekend. So much fun. I just don't want to abuse it with a selectfire pack so I will let it go. I only shot it in semi auto. Eats everything including cheap tula. If oyu want a gun that actually has G3 on the receiver this is the one.

Private 10 acre range rentals
[/URL]
Old 09-24-2021, 12:11 PM

Old 09-25-2021, 2:29 PM

^ That’s seriously funny. In 1983 could you legally own a select fire G3 in the USA?

He calls it an HK91.

On another tangent, they are great rifles but take forever to clean. Can you hose them out like an AK?
Old 09-27-2021, 1:41 AM

Will anyone else admit they enjoy the fluted chamber dinging up the brass for the brass goblins?

Sent from my booger hook using Tapatalk
Old 09-27-2021, 3:46 AM
Calguns Addict

The flutes in the brass doesn't affect whether the cases are reloadable. The case mouth dinged to heck doesn't even stop you from being able to reload them, although it does require you to take the time to straighten the mouth out a bit before you run them through the resizer.

The best accessory I got for my HK was the ejection port buffer. The cases still get fluted of course, but the buffer stopped the dents.

Biden, proof that stupid people shouldn't be allowed to vote.

Dumocraps suck balls.
Old 09-27-2021, 11:00 AM

Quote:
^ That’s seriously funny. In 1983 could you legally own a select fire G3 in the USA?

He calls it an HK91.

On another tangent, they are great rifles but take forever to clean. Can you hose them out like an AK?
With an HK, the sear pack IS the MG. It's my understanding it doesn't matter what gun you use it in.
Old 02-11-2022, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcheung2 View Post
I suspect their bores are actually pretty clean. I recall seeing some Russian video where their navy caught some Somali pirates, the guns were rusted junkpiles but their internals were relatively clean. Those 3rd world militias were just too cheap to let their people shoot off too many rounds.
I bought a pulled g3 barrel with lots of marks on the sides of the barrel from heavy impacts during storage and transport and rack use.

Bought a bore scope just to see the inside condition.

Absolutely unworn.

I have a 1,000 round hk911 and the pulled barrel and my 1k round barrel are in basically the same condition.

Hk has mentioned they use cannon barrel metal then a few other steps in production. I bet it cyro treated. Same as m1a1 abrams rheinmetal cannon barrels.

When i asked hk about shooting out a 91 barrel they said to check back after 100k rounds.

Not machine gun use as it maybe different
Old 02-12-2022, 7:02 AM

My PTR91 is doing a good job scratching that itch, but one day I want to get a real hk91
Old 02-12-2022, 6:32 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by alks207 View Post
My PTR91 is doing a good job scratching that itch, but one day I want to get a real hk91

Honestly, unless you just have to have an HK (i get it), that PTR will do you just fine.
I’ve had all 3, HK91, Greek Springfield Sar 8, and ptr91 GI. The finishes are all different. Sar 8 was black, my ptr is a parked grey, and my HK was a blueish gray with a little
smoother finish on the metal than the straight up park of the ptr. The Sar 8 had a black lacquer like finish very similar to the mp5/sp5. I occasionally come across minty 91’s for sale in the 4000$ range. Can’t blame you for wanting the 91 though. I may pick up another one if i ever find a deal on one. Not going to pay current prices though. Not worth it to me personally.
Old 02-15-2022, 5:36 AM
Veteran Member

I have a SAR8, PSG! clone with 4X50 glass and a fixed 5 round mag.
It never sees the light of day anymore. PAX

"A free people should be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798
Old 02-22-2022, 7:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
And a 10 pound trigger.
I have a 3 pound PSG-1 trigger group for my HK clones which also fixes the selector reach problem.