Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 09-13-2021, 3:18 PM

Default California G3 options?

Im starting to get more into Cold War, German guns, and I always wanted a vintage G3 (like a 1960s-70s replica one). What are some options I can look into, for either featureless or maglocked ones? (I would like to keep it in 7.62 NATO/.308 if possible).

What brands should I look into, and what should I avoid?
Old 09-13-2021, 3:22 PM
Calguns Addict

How bout this?

https://www.riflegear.com/p-15769-pt...-rifle-ca.aspx
Old 09-13-2021, 3:31 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Idealy you can get a ganuine hk 911 or similarly remarked hk 91 as they are not on the CA banned list. Next best option is to get a STEEL receiver springfield sar8, it was made under hk contract in greece on hk tooling i believe. There is an al receiver sar8 that should be immediately sold to the closest gun buyback or given back to springfield for a 1500 dollar credit. Next is the ptr91 which is the cheapest and only new option at this point. The ptr is a fine option and will scratch that cold war era itch of yours. Hk furniture will swap on easily including the metal lowers. Featureless is certainly the easiest way to go. If you are a lefty, the g3 platform may be a little bit of a struggle. Just an fyi.
Kevin

Last edited by Sicarius; 09-13-2021 at 3:47 PM..
Old 09-13-2021, 9:01 PM

Better yet... if you can find a Springfield Armory import SAR3, it'll be cheaper then a HK911
Old 09-14-2021, 7:46 AM

The real HK-91 is an accurate shooter and the PTR -91 is perfect copy when outfitted with HK furniture.
Old 09-14-2021, 8:06 AM
Calguns Addict

Another vote for PTR91 GI model. If it doesn’t come with a steel trigger housing, buy a clipped and pinned s-e-f steel trigger housing. Order up some green HK furniture, slim tropical handguard would probably be most time period correct. Wide handguard is better though and allows mounting of HK bipod. Green HK 3 point sling. Done.

Making it legal in ca is up to you. If i lived there i’d go featureless all the way with a grip wrap and remove the flash hider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-14-2021, 8:12 AM
Calguns Addict

Retarded rifles in any configuration.
Old 09-14-2021, 8:20 AM

+1 on the PTR. RTG parts has a lot of parts and furniture. I have an early PTR when they were using a lot of surplus HK parts still. You can get the carry handle at RTG too. Be aware it’s a heavy gun. Especially when you add the wide handguard and bipod. Considerably heavier than my FAL. I don’t know if there is a break available that fits a bayonet. I know my break doesn’t but you gotta get a bayonet either way.

I went featureless.
Old 09-14-2021, 8:28 AM
Calguns Addict

It’s no more heavy than the FAL or M1A. It’s just imbalanced and awkward to operate in most every conceivable way. It doesn’t recoil any more than the aforementioned either. It feels like it does because the bolt is so heavy and the stock is so low to the bore. Sling options suck too. You can adapt an AR stock to them but that’s 150-300 bucks depending on what you get.
Old 09-14-2021, 3:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeFromTheWest View Post
Im starting to get more into Cold War, German guns, and I always wanted a vintage G3 (like a 1960s-70s replica one). What are some options I can look into, for either featureless or maglocked ones? (I would like to keep it in 7.62 NATO/.308 if possible).

What brands should I look into, and what should I avoid?
PTR all day long. If you're a shooter vs being a collector then get one and dress it out in wood furniture and NOS parts du jour. Bayonet/mount, sling, scope etc. Go nuts.

Ergonomics aside, the rifles were designed for right handed soldiers and the Germans trained righty only IIRC. I shoot lefty/righty and ergos are not a big deal unless you're shooting prone IMO. Charging the thing "lefty style" while prone requires a technique you can easily discover yourself.

*I don't play with mag locks so I made my own grip wrap and swap mags as HK intended.
*I have an early gen PTR and have had no problems with it. Build quality is excellent IMO.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 09-14-2021, 3:41 PM
Calguns Addict

The G3 only exists because the Belgians told the Krauts to go F-themselves. The G3 is inferior to the rifle it replaced.
Old 09-14-2021, 3:48 PM

Get an FAL.
Old 09-14-2021, 3:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LkPillsburyDude View Post
Get an FAL.
Because it’s just better…
Old 09-14-2021, 3:53 PM

I have a PTR 91F and a Century Arms C308. They both run whatever I feed it. Both in featureless configurations.
Old 09-14-2021, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead714 View Post
It’s no more heavy than the FAL or M1A. It’s just imbalanced and awkward to operate in most every conceivable way. It doesn’t recoil any more than the aforementioned either. It feels like it does because the bolt is so heavy and the stock is so low to the bore. Sling options suck too. You can adapt an AR stock to them but that’s 150-300 bucks depending on what you get.

Spuhr stock makes it a whole other rifle and totally worth it.

Get Bill Springfield to work his magic on the trigger group and buffer and you have a nice rifle. Ends up costing the same as an AR10 so it’s a labor of love.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis
Old 09-14-2021, 4:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PogoJack View Post
Spuhr stock makes it a whole other rifle and totally worth it.

Get Bill Springfield to work his magic on the trigger group and buffer and you have a nice rifle. Ends up costing the same as an AR10 so it’s a labor of love.
The Spuhr is excellent but it renders the iron sights inoperable. It’s also 300 bucks. AND you can only use the Hk sling hooks with it. Solves one problem and creates another.
Old 09-14-2021, 7:45 PM

Quote:
The Spuhr is excellent but it renders the iron sights inoperable. It’s also 300 bucks. AND you can only use the Hk sling hooks with it. Solves one problem and creates another.

Paracord loops solve that problem. Might not be cool but practical for my needs.

The newer PTR 91s have a 1913 rail welded on top but you’re right, the drum sight is useless after adding the Spuhr.

It’s a fun little gun to take on a hog hunt. They are hated but I love them.

https://youtu.be/lvx2RFkst4U

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis
Old 09-15-2021, 2:43 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
The G3 only exists because the Belgians told the Krauts to go F-themselves. The G3 is inferior to the rifle it replaced.
Not trying to be a dick, but what does that have to do with the OP wanting a G3 clone? I see these kind of posts all the time, someone asks about a specific thing and then someone else jumps in and goes off on a tangent. I would think that if he wanted a FAL (if he doesn't already have one), he would have asked about one.

I have pretty much every full power .30 caliber rifle made by both NATO countries and the Warsaw pact, so I can honestly say that I have personal experience with these rifles. The sights on both are roughly equal with magazines for the HK's and clones being much cheaper. The reality is that whether the OP chooses a G3 clone of some sort, a FAL or a M1A, whatever he picks is going to be a range toy.

Don't get me wrong, I really like my FAL's, but they are long and heavy. A G3 is heavy, but not as long. In stock form, neither is going to all that accurate and really, how much fun is it to sit on your @$$ all day and try to shoot small groups? If you are thinking about trying to be some kind of sniper, a person would be better served with a bolt action rifle or a AR10 of some sort. For general plinking around, both are fun to shoot, but whether one is "better" than the other is really a moot point.

Biden, proof that stupid people shouldn't be allowed to vote.

Dumocraps suck balls.

Last edited by highpower; 09-15-2021 at 2:51 AM..
Old 09-15-2021, 4:04 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by highpower View Post
Not trying to be a dick, but what does that have to do with the OP wanting a G3 clone? I see these kind of posts all the time, someone asks about a specific thing and then someone else jumps in and goes off on a tangent. I would think that if he wanted a FAL (if he doesn't already have one), he would have asked about one.

I have pretty much every full power .30 caliber rifle made by both NATO countries and the Warsaw pact, so I can honestly say that I have personal experience with these rifles. The sights on both are roughly equal with magazines for the HK's and clones being much cheaper. The reality is that whether the OP chooses a G3 clone of some sort, a FAL or a M1A, whatever he picks is going to be a range toy.

Don't get me wrong, I really like my FAL's, but they are long and heavy. A G3 is heavy, but not as long. In stock form, neither is going to all that accurate and really, how much fun is it to sit on your @$$ all day and try to shoot small groups? If you are thinking about trying to be some kind of sniper, a person would be better served with a bolt action rifle or a AR10 of some sort. For general plinking around, both are fun to shoot, but whether one is "better" than the other is really a moot point.
If one goes “click” on a closed bolt and then you have to awkwardly charge the weapon with a handle that’s on the front of the rifle BEFORE inserting a magazine and then release that charging handle, that weapon is not as good.

If you have to have thumbs like E.T. to operate the selector switch, that weapon is not as good.

If you have the left side of rifle that is practically unusable and the rifle itself largely unadaptable to left handed shooters, that weapon is not as good.

If you have a firing pin that is difficult to put back in after cleaning, that weapon is not as good.

If you have brass being ejected with such vigor that it can actually give away your position by (for example) moving the branches of the bush you’re hiding in, that weapon is not as good.

If you have a weapon that is free floated by design but isn’t especially accurate compared to its contemporaries, the weapon is not as good.

My gripes with the G3 have little or nothing to do with accuracy. It’s a really cool LOOKING but completely RETARDED rifle.
Old 09-15-2021, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

….
There used to be a guy on here (a real musket fan apparently) who would go into every AR thread, especially the ones that are asking a specific question, and just post stuff like “a Garand won’t have that problem” or “a 1903 is better”. He came across as really insecure & a bit lonely.
Old 09-15-2021, 10:55 AM

With regards to featureless, HKParts offers a thread protector that looks exactly like the original flash hider. Better option than trying to find a brake for that .308 or a plain thread protector.
Old 09-15-2021, 11:28 AM

+1 on a PTR-91, modernized mine with Magpul trigger housing, ambi safety and Bill Springfield flat trigger with heavy buffer. I love shooting this heffer, PA 5X prism does the job too.
Old 09-15-2021, 11:37 AM

FYI - they're out of stock. Hopefully they'll get some in soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrat View Post
With regards to featureless, HKParts offers a thread protector that looks exactly like the original flash hider. Better option than trying to find a brake for that .308 or a plain thread protector.
Old 09-15-2021, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member

Wanted one also for years, too mucho shekels for my resources. Settled for a L1A1A a guy with cancer sold to me for $ 300. Still hoping to get the shekels to get one. I just maybe so could trade a Saiga 20 in .308 sporter for one someday. I am outa Kaw lee pforn yuh now, maybe my situation will change soon.

Psalm 1
Old 09-16-2021, 4:19 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
My gripes with the G3 have little or nothing to do with accuracy. It’s a really cool LOOKING but completely RETARDED rifle.
All that has absolutely nothing to do with the OP wanting a G3 clone.

What you are going one and on about is why you don't like the G3 family of rifles and whether they are a viable battle rifle. Do you really think that the OP is planning on bailing out the back door of his house to do battle with the forces of evil with a G3 clone?

Please try to insert a bit of common sense here. What he is no doubt looking for is a fun rifle to shoot at targets with. I doubt is he is specifically looking for a gun to go to war with.

I have a HK91 and 93 and like them quite a bit. However, I realize that they are nothing more than range toys. The same can be said for my FAL's and M1A's along with my WWI and WWII firearms.

I collect guns that interest me, not those I deem have most utility. I gather from the OP's initial post that is what he seems to want to collect also. What you apparently want to collect is something focused more on utility. But that is you not him.

Lighten up Francis, This hobby is supposed to be fun.

Biden, proof that stupid people shouldn't be allowed to vote.

Dumocraps suck balls.
Old 09-16-2021, 8:10 AM
Calguns Addict

Op, the HK enhanced heavy buffer for $99

https://hkparts.net/product/enhanced...g3-91-ptr.htm/

And the HK21 heavy rubber butt pad for $49

https://hkparts.net/product/hk-fixed...-usa-p914.htm/

....will greatly improve your shooting enjoyment of your 91 clone once you get one. Night and day difference. I have both on mine.
Old 09-16-2021, 9:01 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
All that has absolutely nothing to do with the OP wanting a G3 clone.

What you are going one and on about is why you don't like the G3 family of rifles and whether they are a viable battle rifle. Do you really think that the OP is planning on bailing out the back door of his house to do battle with the forces of evil with a G3 clone?

Please try to insert a bit of common sense here. What he is no doubt looking for is a fun rifle to shoot at targets with. I doubt is he is specifically looking for a gun to go to war with.

I have a HK91 and 93 and like them quite a bit. However, I realize that they are nothing more than range toys. The same can be said for my FAL's and M1A's along with my WWI and WWII firearms.

I collect guns that interest me, not those I deem have most utility. I gather from the OP's initial post that is what he seems to want to collect also. What you apparently want to collect is something focused more on utility. But that is you not him.

Lighten up Francis, This hobby is supposed to be fun.
Well said.
I too collect various Oberndorf firearms from the 1970’s to 80’s, as well as a number of other types, and have attended school with some of them, to see what I could actually get out of them. Granted, that as I have aged and am no longer as spry as I was thirty years prior, I still like to bring them out occasionally for demonstration to newer shooters, or others who may not have had a chance to try one, as those became unavailable due to legislation. Back some years prior, I actually used a HK-91A3 that I kept mounted in a jeep while I helped manage a cow/steer herd on a working ranch. With the growing narcotics trade taking root in some of the rural areas, that rifle was very comforting.
If the OP shows interest in a particular platform, whatever it may be, I support that, and offer experience that they may find helpful to that endeavor. If someone else doesn't like the OP’s choice, that’s OK too, but to keep going on and on about it serves no purpose.
Old 09-16-2021, 3:05 PM
Calguns Addict

When John Matrix’s compound was under siege, what was his go to rifle?

‘Nuff said.

Old 09-18-2021, 1:30 PM

Default California G3 options?

Didn’t Burt Gummer use a G3 too?

BTW the CA legal PTR91 has a faux flash hider, paddle and button mag release and a fin.

I bought one by accident and ended up de-Californiaizing it except for the glass flash hider. Will probably get a BCM A2 flash hider.

Last edited by PogoJack; 09-18-2021 at 1:33 PM..
Old 09-18-2021, 2:01 PM

f you have the left side of rifle that is practically unusable and the rifle itself largely unadaptable to left handed shooters, that weapon is not as good.

???? Gun Jesus has a couple with a LH charging handle, I was watching the vid the other day. https://hkparts.net/product/cocking-...tr-p18925.htm/ This one I'd guess.
Old 09-18-2021, 2:52 PM

I have an HK91 purchased in the 80's when they were cheap and plentiful. Interesting to shoot. Kicks like a mule, dings the heck out of the brass, and then throws it a country mile. But, a ton of accessories available because it was used all over the world. If you keep an eye open, you can find a lot of accessories at good prices. Bad thing is finding CA legal magazines. I have one five rounder but most of the cheap ones are 20 rounders. At one time they were less than $2 each.
Old 09-18-2021, 4:14 PM
Calguns Addict

I agree that the lack of a bolt hold open and weird charging handle are not super exciting, but I strangely still want one...

I was brought up to believe that they are quite accurate and incredibly reliable. Like an AK but you can hit what you shoot at.
Old 09-18-2021, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerplow View Post
I agree that the lack of a bolt hold open and weird charging handle are not super exciting, but I strangely still want one...

I was brought up to believe that they are quite accurate and incredibly reliable. Like an AK but you can hit what you shoot at.
I never got one because cheap surplus .308 went away and they absolutely maul brass. Kinda still want one.
Old 09-18-2021, 4:46 PM
Veteran Member

Here, and the GI model and GI with rail are in stock.

https://www.cordeliagunexchange.com/...ry/rifles/ptr/
Old 09-18-2021, 6:43 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerplow View Post

And a 10 pound trigger.
Old 09-18-2021, 9:35 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

They are fairly accurate. Moreso than the fal, which should also be on your cold war era checklist. The brass getting beaten up can be mitigated. It does have more kick than the m1a and fal in comparison(fal has an adjustible gas system). You really cant go wrong with it. Far cheaper than any of the other comparible rifles, mags are reasonable. The ergos leave much to be desired but still functionable and the system is proven to be reliable. Little on the dirty side but still a solid rifle. Accessories are available so there is still a support system and a following for it.
Kevin
Old 09-18-2021, 9:50 PM

PTR-91 if you want a G3 clone.

For a great battle rifle, get a SCAR Heavy.
Old 09-19-2021, 3:18 AM

PTR is your best option in my book only down side to the rifle is if your like me or around my side and weight you really feel the recoil over most standard 7.62x51 or 308 rifles but its manageable. Get the wide handguards with bipod if interested and optic depends on what your looking to use it for but its a good shooter pretty accurate even though it gets so so reviews for accuracy.

Last edited by b18bturboek9; 09-20-2021 at 9:42 PM..
Old 09-19-2021, 6:08 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Get a heavy buffer and a trigger job, those two things alone will make the rifle more enjoyable.
Old 09-19-2021, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manh3 View Post
Get a heavy buffer and a trigger job, those two things alone will make the rifle more enjoyable.

Bill Springfield is the man. Great guy and his flat trigger is worth every penny.

PTR91 will shoot steel with no problems.