Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 09-10-2021, 7:23 PM
Veteran Member

Default Dillon 650XL: Any modification to prevent primer chain mishaps?

I understand these occurrences are rare....but i'm told they do happen......i'm referring to primer chain mishaps.

I was wondering if there is a modification that might prevent and if not prevent at least protect the user and home. I tend to be very cautious and safe and try to think things in advance whenever possible (likely the result of too many years in my profession).

I have a brand new still in box unit that i've never even opened the boxes.....trying to figure this out....whether i want to sell the unit or install it.

thank you

Last edited by mtenenhaus; 09-10-2021 at 7:25 PM..
Old 09-10-2021, 7:32 PM

If it is the newer Dillon you will not have much luck finding modifications to protect you because the primer tube now comes encased with an aluminum tube that will (very rare if it happens) protect you if primers are detonated in the tube. This future has been updated as of many years ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-10-2021, 7:50 PM

So this happened to me once loading 223
The brass I was loading had a crimped primer pocket and I smashed the primer and boom the tube took all the blast and bulged but I did put a whole threw my garage door safe to say it is where we'll design
I sold mine and got a 750 instead completely deffernt feel and safer in my opinion I also researched for a sulltion after my accident but never found one
Good luck

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk
Old 09-10-2021, 8:10 PM

Skyline, was it a chain reaction detonation? Did any part of the tube fail? Glad you weren’t hurt. Makes me think twice if I should be wearing safety goggles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-10-2021, 9:45 PM

Always were safety googles or glasses and yes it did cause a chain reaction in the tube the tube tube held up well dillion replaced the whole primer assembly at no cost thats why I went with dillon once again best customer service ever

Old 09-11-2021, 6:51 AM

Default More info please

How did you get a hole in your garage door if the primer tube held together? Was the door open above your press?

Thank you for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline View Post
Always were safety googles or glasses and yes it did cause a chain reaction in the tube the tube tube held up well dillion replaced the whole primer assembly at no cost thats why I went with dillon once again best customer service ever

Old 09-11-2021, 3:54 PM

Yes it was above the press tube turned into a barrel

Old 09-13-2021, 9:57 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

it can happen, but it is such a rare thing that it is not one of my concerns. It would not stop me from getting my 650 setup and working. I have not had it happen to me with either of my 650's.

NRA Benefactor Member
. CRPA Member
Old 09-13-2021, 5:01 PM
Veteran Member

thank you
Old 09-13-2021, 10:44 PM

clean primer tube out once in a while with alcohol to remove residue and NEVER push a large pistol primer into a SMALL pistol primer hole.

Like priming large pistol 45 when a small primer gets mixed in and comes around do not push to hard or Kaboom yeah i did it twice.

Till I learned about small primer 45 acp.
Old 09-13-2021, 11:56 PM
Calguns Addict

I've popped a primer or two on the press, crimped 9mm and crimped 5.56, I think they were...
I got lazy and hadn't reloaded 5.56/.223 for a while, and stopped swaging all pockets on a batch I was working on.

No chains for me, but I do want a 750... and I'll keep the 650 dedicated for .357 Mag and .38 SPL.
Old 09-14-2021, 10:56 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtenenhaus View Post
I understand these occurrences are rare....but i'm told they do happen......i'm referring to primer chain mishaps.

I was wondering if there is a modification that might prevent and if not prevent at least protect the user and home.
I tend to be very cautious and safe and try to think things in advance whenever possible (likely the result of too many years in my profession).
Do NOT add weight to the plastic primer pushrod that sits atop the primer stack.
Do not MODIFY the pushrod or the inner or outer tubes.
The outer tube is the shield that protects you if you ever have a detonation in the inner tube.
Use the correct size tube for the primers you are using.
Do not EVER force a primer into or out of the tube.
If you somehow stick a primer in the tube, call Dillon and they will send you a new tube so you can throw the one with the stuck primer away rather than trying to unjam it.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 09-15-2021, 3:40 PM
Veteran Member

Clean the plate under the primer assembly and under the shell plate regularly, calibrate the press indexing every 15-20k rounds or so, keep sliding and moving parts lubricated, or upgrade the indexer(?) to a ball bearing and a thrust bearing on the shell plate, so you can feel if the primer is going in right of if youre snagging on sumthin.

I havent used it enough, but conceptually, I like my primer indexing on/off upgrade.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dillon-XL65...154756-20017-0

Last edited by MarikinaMan; 09-15-2021 at 3:46 PM..
Old 09-15-2021, 6:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtenenhaus View Post

I was wondering if there is a modification that might prevent and if not prevent at least protect the user and home. I tend to be very cautious and safe and try to think things in advance whenever possible (likely the result of too many years in my profession).

I have a brand new still in box unit that i've never even opened the boxes.....trying to figure this out....whether i want to sell the unit or install it.

thank you
The key thing to remember is not to force anything when priming.

If it really bothers you, you can get the newer 750 which has replaced the priming system altogether...besides incorporating other updates

The 650 should be easy to sell as there is a demand for them since Dillon stopped making them
Old 09-16-2021, 6:50 AM

I don't like the primer system on my Dillon SDB, which is similar to the 650 with the tube. I just switched to using a hand primer which has an isolation area between the primer tray and the primer seater. It goes pretty fast and is actually a good hand-grip exercise.
My 2˘
mike
Old 09-17-2021, 7:38 PM
Veteran Member

Revoman.....not sure if i'll keep the machine or sell it....if i keep it i'll likely do the same.
would you then load all the primed cases in the case loader or do you manually place each case on the press?

Last edited by mtenenhaus; 09-18-2021 at 9:11 AM..
Old 09-18-2021, 8:19 PM

The Dillon SDB while progressive, does not have case or bullet feeder capabilities. It also only can reload "pistol/handgun" ammunition. Thus, I can only load them manually. You should be able to load on the 650 using those feeders, just remove the deprimer pin at the first station and yer good (ya don't wanna deprime a freshly primed case).
Old 09-18-2021, 9:19 PM
Banned

soak all your primers in Kroil for 24 hours before you load them. Problem solved.
Old 09-25-2021, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member

revoman, thank you

SirToast....interesting