Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 06-10-2021, 7:29 PM
Veteran Member

Default Yea or nay for custom "collectible?"

I posted this picture on another thread concerning "Sunday guns" - ones you bring out to show the guys, be it a favorite hunting rifle, fancy handgun or custom rifle. When I bring out this Winchester Model 63 .22, most comments are along the lines of "How beautiful!" or "You ruined a collectible!" The wood is beautifully figured, and the checkered steel buttplate and pistol grip cap are fitted perfectly. The vintage Weaver 2.5X scope is mounted with the front ring in the rear sight dovetail. It shoots "minute of rabbit head."

Note - I inherited it as is, so I did not "ruin" it. Does the customization add to the value in your opinion or lessen it?

Last edited by Calif Hunter; 12-01-2021 at 8:26 AM..
Old 06-10-2021, 7:40 PM
Let's Go Brandon!
CGN Contributor

It's a matter of individual taste, but I'd say most shooters want an unmolested stock rifle.
The value is not lessened, but it won't fetch the same price if it were all original. I saw one
on consignment last year for $350, it was about a 7 out of 10 condition wise. It's a keeper.
Old 06-10-2021, 8:12 PM
Veteran Member

That is the response from a lot of people. Others, however, like the unique qualities of custom guns, or they appreciate the skill involved in creating one.
I have seen some custom Model 63s go for as much as $700.00 in auctions. I would certainly agree with you as far as a "bubba" modified firearm goes. Since I inherited this one, I have no skin in the game one way or another. I am simply happy to have it and do admire the craftsmanship. I guess I would say that I find it prettier than a stock model 63.
Old 06-10-2021, 9:00 PM
Veteran Member

Sweet looking shooter.

Bob B.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Old 06-11-2021, 5:37 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Beautiful Rifle Sir....👍👍👍

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 06-11-2021, 6:56 AM
Calguns Addict

That's a nice-looking rifle and I think almost any well done / tasteful customization, done in the past, should be given a pass even by the purest. Sure a 100% Factory stock Model A Ford might be worth more money but people were enjoying their lives and the items that they purchased by customizing them back then.

People who don't like any customization should realize (that like Most firearms) there were a lot of them made , in this case over a hundred and seventy thousand of those made, so it's not a super rare model or anything.

Also I've always heard the term as "barbecue guns", that's now seemed to turn into "Sunday guns".

Sometimes I have barbecues on Saturday, or Wednesday or Tuesday or Monday or Friday. :-)

If the metal buttplate is custom handmade / hand checkered or something special you should throw up a photo of that as well.

Last edited by sealocan; 06-11-2021 at 7:17 AM..
Old 06-11-2021, 7:01 AM
Veteran Member

I used the term "Sunday Gun" from the other thread. I have always heard the term "Barbecue Gun" used and mainly referring to handguns. I believe the buttplate is the original checkered steel one. I am not sure if the originals came with a pistol grip cap or not. I will check some images online.
Old 06-11-2021, 10:36 AM

Maybe the "Sunday Gun" is the one you wear to church.
Old 06-11-2021, 11:32 AM

I have no problem with anything a person does to his property..That said I am no fan of that stock..I would put an original on it and sell the custom one to someone who liked it..Not me, do not ask

It just looks way out of place proportionally to the rest of a otherwise sleek good looking Rifle..And I see no functional advantage to that stock either, over the original....

Last edited by AR22; 06-11-2021 at 11:35 AM..
Old 06-11-2021, 8:44 PM

I have one in original form and love. Great rifles.