Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 01-10-2021, 4:58 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Wyoming draws are open

My regular hunting group are putting in for antelope this year. All of us have 4 preference points so we're counting on Type 1, any antelope.

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 01-10-2021, 5:24 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Yea wyoming used to be a shoe-in, struck out 2 years in a row now
Old 01-11-2021, 7:20 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Yep, we always go every other year and buy preference points in the years that we don't go but we didn't get drawn for bucks last trip. We're hoping that with the four points we'll get the buck draw this year.

Old 01-12-2021, 9:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCarpenter View Post
Yea wyoming used to be a shoe-in, struck out 2 years in a row now
Point creep is a real problem in WY. My take on it is that allowing people to buy points without actually applying for a hunt is driving up the points needed to draw, even in mediocre units.

I thought I was a shoe-in last year for general elk, but I didn't get drawn. This year I should be able to, but I'm worried that it will take 4 points to draw the next time around.
Old 01-12-2021, 11:34 AM

Hunted wyoming in 2020 and none of us drew antelope. We all drew Mule deer/whitetail either sex tags. I was the only one to get a small forky out of 11guys. Good luck with your successful draw.

Last edited by CartridgeCalls; 01-12-2021 at 4:29 PM..
Old 01-12-2021, 6:38 PM
Calguns Addict

I just saw the updated AZ elk draw and point creep is real there too. I guess its everywhere.

I have 1 pt in WY for antelope but am going to start to build more and head up there one day.
Old 01-12-2021, 6:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CartridgeCalls View Post
Hunted wyoming in 2020 and none of us drew antelope. We all drew Mule deer/whitetail either sex tags. I was the only one to get a small forky out of 11guys. Good luck with your successful draw.
No antelope either?
Old 01-12-2021, 8:57 PM
Veteran Member

Put in for cow elk, again 106 type 7. I have 6 points for pronghorn 5 for deer, 4 for elk. A2
Old 01-13-2021, 3:51 AM

Good luck everybody! Should see the heard of antelope and elk I pass on a daily basis out here. There’s plenty to share.
Old 01-13-2021, 8:29 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Basically no snow accumulation yet this year in the entire State so maybe a chance of less winter kill.

Old 01-13-2021, 9:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Wyoming is getting tough. It's getting more and more crowded every year with out state of road hunters feeling entitled to easy game and competing with each other for easy tags. The locals are getting wise and becoming more pay to play. The best areas are being taken out of the HMAs. A couple of tough years for the animals has reduced numbers, and predators (wolves, lions, and grizzlies; oh my!) certainly haven't helped. You have to be on your A game as enforcement has been stiffened (at the behest of the locals) and warnings are rare these days. It's no longer the paradise it was 10 years ago.
Old 01-14-2021, 6:52 AM
Calguns Addict

Unfortunately, the state has also bumped up some tag prices for residents.
IMO, non-residents should be fleeced to the maximum extent possible. Before I moved here, I would never have been able to afford to hunt here. The (mostly older) guys I knew who hunted WY as non-residents could easily afford it. It was pocket change to them.

IMHO if there is a lot of competition for non-resident tags, that just means it is too affordable. Our economy is fragile enough here, I say jack up the prices as high as the market will allow.
Old 01-14-2021, 9:13 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Pick a cartridge that bucks the wind!

In Wyoming, the National Weather Service in Cheyenne reported a 105-mph gust near F.E. Warren Air Force Base and 16 other gusts of 80 mph or more in the last 12 hours.

Old 01-14-2021, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NapalmCheese View Post
... out state of road hunters feeling entitled to easy game and competing with each other for easy tags...
A few years ago my wife was in Wyoming for a few days during elk season. She said trucks were lined up along a road at the edge of a wildlife refuge waiting for the elk to walk out of their summer range. When they finally made their appearance, it was going to be like a shooting gallery.

I'm sorry but in my book that's not hunting.
Old 01-14-2021, 10:32 AM

Just put in for Elk, Mule Deer and Antelope.
Old 01-23-2021, 6:47 AM
I need a LIFE!!

We just got our party hunt application set up and applied for the antelope draw, Area 47 type 1 (any antelope)

Old 01-23-2021, 3:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NapalmCheese View Post
Wyoming is getting tough. It's getting more and more crowded every year with out state of road hunters feeling entitled to easy game and competing with each other for easy tags. The locals are getting wise and becoming more pay to play. The best areas are being taken out of the HMAs. A couple of tough years for the animals has reduced numbers, and predators (wolves, lions, and grizzlies; oh my!) certainly haven't helped. You have to be on your A game as enforcement has been stiffened (at the behest of the locals) and warnings are rare these days. It's no longer the paradise it was 10 years ago.
Its getting like that everywhere to be honest. ID just changed a bunch of stuff for this year. The elk tag I like in AZ jumped 2 bonus points in 1 year. In Utah on my deer hunt I was running into locals complaining about out of staters.

Honestly though, when I see locals complaining the majority of the time its someone who could stand to lose some weight and get off the roads.
Old 01-23-2021, 4:57 PM

Hi Frank, last year we drew either or any antelope ( buck ) no problem for area 20 north of Casper no problem, 83% odds. And one each for doe antelope same unit. It used to be easy for two does but that slowed and we got one doe each in area 29 Douglas. Wyo is getting much more attention nowadays. Three of us bought a point for mule deer each for this year, see what happens. Hope it works for you ! I had to use my any antelope license and my doe license when I dropped two does running out of a draw with one shot last year, no complaint on that ! 7mmRem mag do cut the wind !

Psalm 1

Last edited by Garand Hunter; 01-23-2021 at 4:59 PM.. Reason: added sentence
Old 01-24-2021, 7:59 AM
I need a LIFE!!

We normally go every other year for the famous cigar and whiskey hunt but we cancelled in 2020 because of Covid (two of the guys work in health care).

We didn't draw bucks in 2018 and have 4 points so we should have a pretty good chance. We're hunting a friend's 300,000 acre ranch so we only have two hunt areas that we can draw in.

Old 01-25-2021, 8:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 180ls1 View Post
In Utah on my deer hunt I was running into locals complaining about out of staters.
I always find stuff like this kind of humorous. Utah only allocates 10% of tags in each specific hunting unit to non-resident hunters, so it's not like the place can get packed full of out of staters. I guess some people just like to complain.

Also, I want to say something that is not related to to quote above, but it is related to the main topic of this thread. While the WY draw is open for species like antelope and deer, the actual deadline is not until June, so I would suggest holding off until later to submit an application. Unlike CA, which only requires a small $9 application fee, WY requires that an applicant pay upfront and in full for the tag and they issue a refund if you don't draw, so if you apply for deer or antelope now, then WY will hold onto your money for 5 months or so.

Now, if you're putting in for WY elk, the deadline is next week, so it's time to hit the "apply" button and pay up.
Old 01-25-2021, 9:18 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante View Post
I always find stuff like this kind of humorous. Utah only allocates 10% of tags in each specific hunting unit to non-resident hunters, so it's not like the place can get packed full of out of staters. I guess some people just like to complain.

Also, I want to say something that is not related to to quote above, but it is related to the main topic of this thread. While the WY draw is open for species like antelope and deer, the actual deadline is not until June, so I would suggest holding off until later to submit an application. Unlike CA, which only requires a small $9 application fee, WY requires that an applicant pay upfront and in full for the tag and they issue a refund if you don't draw, so if you apply for deer or antelope now, then WY will hold onto your money for 5 months or so.

Now, if you're putting in for WY elk, the deadline is next week, so it's time to hit the "apply" button and pay up.
Yeah, one guy was like "look around 2/3's of the plates you'll see on the mountain are from CA"

Good point on the paying ahead of time. NM is the same way.