Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 11-20-2020, 11:08 AM

Default AITA? Gallery of Guns retailer not honoring price?

Just took delivery and had a genuine PITA experience getting the retailer to honor the purchase agreement. Not going to name and shame.

On starting DROS they put a bill of sale that had $85 "addl fees," plus taxes on the fees, in front of me.

"The GOG system is wrong. The DROS has just gone way up. We aren't a retailer with a normal markup, we get the gun at the price you see, so we don't make any money at all on it. My Manager isn't here to tell you any more about it or make the adjustment so when you take delivery talk to him."

Ok, lies detected, but I pay, and then 10 days later call ahead and make sure the firearms manager guy is around for the transaction. On checking out the firearm he's struggling to assemble it. A bolt action. Nearly lets it drop off the counter while checking serial #s. Manager?

He repeats the BS about their nonexistent margin, and piles on higher and deeper, says, "We have to pay for shipping on each gun too, so after considering how much time we spend on a sale, we literally make nothing even with this fee."

JFC, enough lies, my sympathy evaporates.

I whip out the GOG T&C and FAQ and my purchase agreement and politely insist that they just honor their contracts, there are laws. I got the receipts! It works, he backs off and charges the correct DROS and taxes. AITA?
Old 11-20-2020, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member

What’s the point? You typed all of that but didn’t name the shop.
Old 11-20-2020, 11:35 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Wow

We attack local shops way too often.

Just think- when a friend wants to buy a new Gun - where do you send them?

What’s the best shop in Los Angeles?

What ship has not been trashed by several posts here???

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)
Old 11-20-2020, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exitcalsoon View Post
Just took delivery and had a genuine PITA experience getting the retailer to honor the purchase agreement. Not going to name and shame.

On starting DROS they put a bill of sale that had $85 "addl fees," plus taxes on the fees, in front of me.

"The GOG system is wrong. The DROS has just gone way up. We aren't a retailer with a normal markup, we get the gun at the price you see, so we don't make any money at all on it. My Manager isn't here to tell you any more about it or make the adjustment so when you take delivery talk to him."

Ok, lies detected, but I pay, and then 10 days later call ahead and make sure the firearms manager guy is around for the transaction. On checking out the firearm he's struggling to assemble it. A bolt action. Nearly lets it drop off the counter while checking serial #s. Manager?

He repeats the BS about their nonexistent margin, and piles on higher and deeper, says, "We have to pay for shipping on each gun too, so after considering how much time we spend on a sale, we literally make nothing even with this fee."

I whip out the GOG T&C and FAQ and my purchase agreement and politely insist that they just honor their contracts, there are laws. I got the receipts! It works, he backs off and charges the correct DROS and taxes. AITA?
I'm confused by your post a bit.

You agreed to their additional fees at time of DROS then later insisted they honor their contract and didn't pay what you agreed to?

Were the additional fees itemized?

AFAIK DROS did increase recently, and I have generally paid about $50 for the service of receiving firearms to my LGS on top of the DROS fee.

I'm not one to pay extra fees if I don't have to but businesses have to turn a profit.
Old 11-20-2020, 12:20 PM

The DROS fees was changed at the beginning of the year to $31.19, but the local gun store might charge a service fee to do the dros. Turner's charge a $5.00 fee every time they fill out a dros.

Glad the lgs honor the guns of gallery terms..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooner760HD View Post

You agreed to their additional fees at time of DROS then later insisted they honor their contract and didn't pay what you agreed to?

AFAIK DROS did increase recently, and I have generally paid about $50 for the service of receiving firearms to my LGS on top of the DROS fee.

I'm not one to pay extra fees if I don't have to but businesses have to turn a profit.
Old 11-20-2020, 12:21 PM
CGN Contributor

$85 was probably the transfer fee?
Old 11-20-2020, 12:37 PM

Default AITA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooner760HD View Post

Survey says I'm ~60% a-hole so far? Just wanted folks to know some shops want to chisel, but can be talked out of it. Supply and demand isn't the only law.

It was detente. He wasn't going to start the DROS unless the balance was paid in full, stated it could be corrected if wrong, but said only the manager could discuss it. I knew I was in the right, didn't want any more delays, so I paid, and he wrote "will discuss fees with manager" on both our copies of the invoice.

Not itemized. Not broken out at all. Just the balance remaining from GOG, "fees", tax.

DROS went up like what? Ten months ago. These guys sell through the system every day, so the low fees shown are, in my opinion, bait.

If you agree beforehand that you'll pay a fee for a transfer, from a PP or when another retailer has made their cut, you're getting a valuable service and should pay for their time and overhead, by all means. Business. But it has to be disclosed at the time of purchase, period. Not midway through the transaction.

Unless somebody knows different, i.e. works at a participating shop and will be honest about it, and likely violate a term of service, lol, the GOG system allows for a reasonable profit, just like any other wholesaler-retailer setup. If they don't like it they don't have to participate. Plenty of markup going on.

Went to Bain & Davis for most everything for >20 years, and had great experiences every time, including two GOG purchases. They were never anything but happy to handle the transaction, even for the $150 22.
Old 11-20-2020, 1:43 PM
Veteran Member

If you don’t name the shop, then this thread is useless and waste of everybody’s time who read your post.

Why even bother to post?

Old 11-20-2020, 2:07 PM

The shop needs to go into their setting on G of G and update their fees. Many people shop based on total price, charging more than posted is not fair to the buyers or other shops. I would contact Davidsons and explain what happened so they can help the shop update their profile or boot him if he is not representing his fees correctly.
Old 11-20-2020, 2:15 PM
Reptile&Samurai Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by sass2924 View Post
The shop needs to go into their setting on G of G and update their fees. Many people shop based on total price, charging more than posted is not fair to the buyers or other shops. I would contact Davidsons and explain what happened so they can help the shop update their profile or boot him if he is not representing his fees correctly.

This above is correct - for people who are saying it is ok for the shop to charge fees - you are correct, BUT that should all be listed in the GOG system. If the shop isn't doing that then it is essentially a bait and switch.
YANTA OP

PS if it didnt capture the DROS increase, thats a minor footfault, but it seems like it was more than that in the difference.
Old 11-20-2020, 2:55 PM
I need a LIFE!!

i thought the whole point of being on the GoG system as a retailer was that it won't be treated as an out of state transfer purchase since GoG is a distributor?

it is more like "warehouse order".
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSig1911 View Post
Preppers canceled my order this afternoon because I called them a disgrace... Not ordering from those clowns again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrepperGunShop View Post
Truthfully, we cancelled your order because of your lack of civility and your threats ... What is a problem is when you threaten my customer service team and make demands instead of being civil. Plain and simple just don't be an a**hole (where you told us to shove it).
Old 11-20-2020, 3:33 PM

^^^this^^^ I have ordered lots of guns thru Davidson's over the years & have NEVER had a FFL tack on some extra mystery fees above and beyond what is clearly stated on the Davidson's site when you make the purchase. OP is NTA.
Old 11-20-2020, 3:39 PM

I've purchased a few guns on the gun genie and as far as I know once you get your quote and pick the store for delivery it states all fee's INCLUDING DROS are in the price you pay to have it delivered when you check out. Should be no money changing hands when you go to DROS.
Old 11-20-2020, 3:49 PM

OP what city do you live in if you don't mind ?
Old 11-20-2020, 4:07 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M60A1Rise View Post
I've purchased a few guns on the gun genie and as far as I know once you get your quote and pick the store for delivery it states all fee's INCLUDING DROS are in the price you pay to have it delivered when you check out. Should be no money changing hands when you go to DROS.
Correct, that's why the OP said that the FFL was lying. That is one shady FFL.

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 11-20-2020, 4:12 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
If you agree beforehand that you'll pay a fee for a transfer, from a PP or when another retailer has made their cut, you're getting a valuable service and should pay for their time and overhead, by all means. Business. But it has to be disclosed at the time of purchase, period. Not midway through the transaction.
Agree with this. The price and add-on itself is not a problem, not disclosing it is.

I transferred recently a new 2011 frame and the markup was steep. As in over 1K total on top of a $300 frame... But I knew what I was paying, to whom and why. It was a choice. I would be really upset if there was an add-on of $85 to my transaction that wasn't disclosed. It's the disclosure, not the amount...
Old 11-20-2020, 7:37 PM

Quote:
OP what city do you live in if you don't mind ?
Pasadena adjacent.
Old 11-20-2020, 8:19 PM
I need a LIFE!!

so still not gonna name the shop?

so that means you are fine with the shop ripping off other people then?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSig1911 View Post
Preppers canceled my order this afternoon because I called them a disgrace... Not ordering from those clowns again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrepperGunShop View Post
Truthfully, we cancelled your order because of your lack of civility and your threats ... What is a problem is when you threaten my customer service team and make demands instead of being civil. Plain and simple just don't be an a**hole (where you told us to shove it).
Old 11-20-2020, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcheung2 View Post
What’s the point? You typed all of that but didn’t name the shop.
name shop or shut up
Old 11-20-2020, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Not going to name and shame.
Then STFU and GTFO.
Old 11-20-2020, 9:05 PM
Calguns Addict

so did you order it online? this just doesn't make sense.

Never make yourself too available or useful...... Semper Fidelis

John Dickerson: What keeps you awake at night?
James Mattis: Nothing, I keep other people awake at night.

Old 11-20-2020, 9:11 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder_Keg View Post
$85 was probably the transfer fee?
I'm guessing you are not familiar with Davidson's Gallery of Guns, and the Gun Genie. One can browse, see what's in stock, enter zip code and distance to search from there. The dealers that have agreements with them will show on the list, with total price including taxes and fees - it's a contract. One goes through the checkout process (including a deposit), they send the gun to the dealer selected. Then do the rest of the paperwork at the dealer and pay the rest of the total. They also give a lifetime warranty on guns purchased through their site.
It's a nice, convenient way to purchase, if they have what you want.

It's a muzzle BRAKE, not a muzzle break. Or is your muzzle tired?
Old 11-20-2020, 9:13 PM

Just did a Gun Genie search with a Pasadena zip code to see what stores come up and they have NO GUNS ! Don't think i've ever seen that before. Thought I could narrow down the LGS he bought from.
Old 11-20-2020, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Just did a Gun Genie search with a Pasadena zip code to see what stores come up and they have NO GUNS ! Don't think i've ever seen that before. Thought I could narrow down the LGS he bought from.
Trying to find anything in stock right now is difficult.
You might try running a search for a 12 gauge gun that's in stock - there's a box to check for that when you are setting up the search. Just don't put anything other than 12 gauge and in stock. They will likely have a trap or clays gun, something like that. Nothing will be in stock that the people really want badly right now.

Last edited by eaglemike; 11-20-2020 at 9:18 PM.. Reason: clarity
Old 11-20-2020, 10:02 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I can understand them trying to squeeze every dollar they can out of you/us. Times are tough right now, but there tough for the buyers too. Like already said, we should know the total cost before the DROS is started.

MLC, First 3

Last edited by golfish; 11-20-2020 at 10:15 PM..
Old 11-20-2020, 10:06 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldmandan View Post
If you don’t name the shop, then this thread is useless and waste of everybody’s time who read your post.

Why even bother to post?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch705 View Post
so still not gonna name the shop?

so that means you are fine with the shop ripping off other people then?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce381 View Post
name shop or shut up
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarcoBlaster View Post
Then STFU and GTFO.
Do you want fellow Calgunners to go through what you had to go through?

Understood that dealer yielded with receipts and you prevailed. How about helping a brother Calgunner do the same if they end up in the same store?

This thread suffers from major suckage, but that's only imo.

Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

A man's soul can be judged by the way he treats his dog. Charles Doran
Old 11-21-2020, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev301 View Post
The DROS fees was changed at the beginning of the year to $31.19, but the local gun store might charge a service fee to do the dros. Turner's charge a $5.00 fee every time they fill out a dros.

Glad the lgs honor the guns of gallery terms..
Umm FFL are legally only allowed to charge the DROS fee and $10 on top. Any other "fee" for services other than transfer from out of state or from another FFL is illegal.

Get your power armor as fast as possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetguy View Post
im hoping for a milsurp shoulder thingy that goes up
Old 11-21-2020, 4:35 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Shouldn't be paying more than $47.19

dros2.jpg

Last edited by Sequencer60; 11-21-2020 at 4:38 AM..
Old 11-21-2020, 10:47 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

When they try that just call Gallery of Guns. An FFL tried that with me and right there I called and they set him straight.

The price shown on your gun genie invoice is the price you pay, that’s their guarantee!
Old 11-21-2020, 1:09 PM

Quote:
Yeah there were quite a few three weeks ago, if you wanted a deer gun.

Now nothing.
Old 11-21-2020, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce381 View Post
name shop or shut up
Jesus, not enough to let you know you can prevail in this situation, have to piss on the specific shop too?

Also... attitude?
Old 11-21-2020, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglemike View Post
Trying to find anything in stock right now is difficult.
You might try running a search for a 12 gauge gun that's in stock - there's a box to check for that when you are setting up the search. Just don't put anything other than 12 gauge and in stock. They will likely have a trap or clays gun, something like that. Nothing will be in stock that the people really want badly right now.
Yeah I know , wasn't looking for me per se just trying to figure out what LGS the OP used since he won't name em. But yeah even still i've never ever seen GoG with noting in stock lol.
Old 11-21-2020, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Jesus, not enough to let you know you can prevail in this situation, have to piss on the specific shop too?

Also... attitude?
It's more than that OP , naming the store will let the next person up know what's going on so they don't get shafted. It's what we do around here. The LGS should also be reported no matter if you got your product or not because they are operating away from GoG terms of service by charging you more than the invoice.
Old 11-21-2020, 1:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglemike View Post
I'm guessing you are not familiar with Davidson's Gallery of Guns, and the Gun Genie. One can browse, see what's in stock, enter zip code and distance to search from there. The dealers that have agreements with them will show on the list, with total price including taxes and fees - it's a contract. One goes through the checkout process (including a deposit), they send the gun to the dealer selected. Then do the rest of the paperwork at the dealer and pay the rest of the total. They also give a lifetime warranty on guns purchased through their site.
It's a nice, convenient way to purchase, if they have what you want.
Yep. Exactly. This is why springing additional fees at the shop is shady.

Had a chat with a Davidson's / GOG rep and they told me that the retailer even sets the price in their system, by deciding the % margin they want, and there is a "fair" minimum to keep things competitive.
Old 11-21-2020, 1:30 PM

Quote:
It's more than that OP , naming the store will let the next person up know what's going on so they don't get shafted. It's what we do around here. The LGS should also be reported no matter if you got your product or not because they are operating away from GoG terms of service by charging you more than the invoice.
They're reported to GOG. Will DM folks who've communicated in a civil manner.
Old 11-21-2020, 1:33 PM
Veteran Member

So OP has posted in his thread 4 times with countless words, and the jist of it is that he pulled a Karen on an unnamed gunshop & it worked.

insert slow clapping meme
Old 11-21-2020, 2:31 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
They're reported to GOG. Will DM folks who've communicated in a civil manner.
You don't understand this is a community and most people here are lurkers who would never post but learn alot from what they read.
Old 11-21-2020, 2:50 PM

What a bunch of BS
The retailer sets the markup they want with gallery of guns.
If they are selling at cost it's their problem not years.
Name the jerks.
Escapees
Elks
Old 11-21-2020, 7:06 PM

Some gun store owners and employees are their own worst enemy.
Always treat people fairly be honest and up front. Don't try to BS - once the customer gets some knowledge they will realize they are getting jerked around, lied to etc. Some act like they know everything about every gun, like car salesmen that aren't familiar with their products. Always frustrates me.
There is a small local guy that has decent prices, actually several around here. Even if it costs $20 more, the service is better, and zero BS. I get so tired of BS.
OP, it really would be better if you shared it. Lots of people here get really frustrated when threads get started and the info isn't shared. It doesn't help the rest of us. Sorry they tried to play you. There's a thread somewhere about some company on gunbroker trying to hose people for huge $$$$$ and whining about not making any money.

Old 11-21-2020, 8:15 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Two things:

1. It did not happen if you do not name the shop.
Any shop doing business with GOG/Gun Genie acts as a branch of that outfit and gets the same bill as GOG shows you when you buy.

The only shop that has eF'd up a GOG deal for me was BURBABK AMMO &GUNS and I have bought many from GOG with smooth as silk transactions with rhe exception of the named above FFL.

2. IF you buy from GOG and the local FFL/receiving dealer gives you any grief, tell the FFL to go pound sand. Call GOG, tell them about the misbehavior and they will send you another to another ffl on their dealer list. That douch dealer can return it at his expense because he was not following his terms of business with GOG.