Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 08-01-2020, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member

Default CA CCW LAWS

As a new CCW holder I’ve been been studying a lot of info/videos from Massad Ayoob. Does anyone know of a good source to learn more about California
Specific laws when it comes to CCW? My interview is on the 10th so I am writing down some questions to ask. I thought an additional source would be helpful. Thanks.
Old 08-01-2020, 12:12 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Not clear what you are looking for.

CA CCW law is principally about actually getting one. After that, the usual 'do not commit crimes' admonition applies, and 'humor your issuing agency' comes into play.

See the sticky, http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=388997

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 08-01-2020, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member

Do you have your CCW or are you applying for your CCW?

When you go to your class, listen carefully, and ask thoughtful questions. It's probably more important to listen to the instructor than to take notes.
Old 08-01-2020, 1:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepergeo View Post
Do you have your CCW or are you applying for your CCW?

When you go to your class, listen carefully, and ask thoughtful questions. It's probably more important to listen to the instructor than to take notes.
And ask most questions here.

Usually, you’re going to go over your DON’Ts and conditions at the interview (may be read in a page) like can’t enter bar establishment (depending on IA), etc

iTrader
Old 08-01-2020, 1:52 PM

I would suggest asking questions to your instructor. Also be sure to have a quality instructor. Do your homework there and leave the interview for being professional and courteous while answering their questions there. In my opinion, the interview shouldn't be the place to ask questions since you should have done your homework prior. Just my opinion. Others may advise different.
Old 08-01-2020, 2:09 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

The following is not to be construed as legal advice. Just my 2 cents...

Don't carry in schools or federal buildings, don't ever brandish it.

Pretty much everything else will be up to your IA, but those two things will generally keep you out of jail. Other minor sins may cost you a temporary or even permanent revocation of your permit, but they really aren't crimes. Each agency has their own set of rules they expect you to follow and you'll learn all about them at your class.
Old 08-01-2020, 2:23 PM

You should also look into CRPA and some sort of CCW insurance for additional information. Just my 2 cents as well.
Old 08-01-2020, 5:01 PM
Veteran Member

What prompted me to write this is the numerous suggestions at the end of a CCW instruction time seek the specific guide lines to local laws. Someone messaged me about this, which is great, thank you! Also, I’ll continue to speak to my sheriff. I do not have a permit yet, so I’m hoping to be granted one on the 10th. I stay in contact with my instructor but he is a bit too busy to answer all of my questions. As laws change frequently, it’s important to stay vigilant.

Last edited by Mr. Blue; 08-01-2020 at 5:05 PM..
Old 08-01-2020, 5:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woorick View Post
You should also look into CRPA and some sort of CCW insurance for additional information. Just my 2 cents as well.
That is great advice, I’ll check that out.
Old 08-01-2020, 5:29 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

The wiki is excellent, but if you want some light reading, start here. That’s foundational.

Echoing 9Cal_OC: The interview isn’t yours. It’s the IA’s. They want to ask the questions. They want you to answer their questions.

If you’ve written down some questions to ask, I’d suggest you ask them here, in this forum, as a newbie, and see if you can become informed before you start asking the IA questions.

Best.

Last edited by Dvrjon; 08-01-2020 at 6:13 PM.. Reason: Clarifying after 9Cal_OC’s clarification.
Old 08-01-2020, 5:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
The wiki is excellent, but if you want some light reading, start here. That’s foundational.

Echoing 9Cal_OC: The interview isn’t yours. It’s the IA’s. They want to ask the questions. They want you to answer their questions.
My response was rather unclear. He should ask his questions here i.e. in class or with the a quality instructor.

Best of luck OP.

iTrader
Old 08-01-2020, 8:34 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Blue View Post
What prompted me to write this is the numerous suggestions at the end of a CCW instruction time seek the specific guide lines to local laws.
There really are no 'local' CCW laws.

But your issuing agency likely has a lot of iron-bound opinions.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Old 08-01-2020, 8:43 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post

Exactly. My IA allows ten round mags (no freedom week mags) and only limited modifications etc... But I don't have to notify the PoPo if I am pulled over, only recommended. I do have to notify them within ten days if pulled over while carrying.

These are their (San Bernardino SD) rules, but they aren't laws.
Old 08-10-2020, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woorick View Post

I would second that. Some great videos about what to look for when shopping for carry insurance on YouTube as well. Some excel in different areas, buy what matters most to you.
Old 08-10-2020, 10:18 PM

Considering the collapse of law and order in this country, and the continuing violence that destroying our cities, I wouldn't wait for a CCW to start carrying. However I would have the name and phone number of an attorney who specializes in gun issues, kept in my pocket.
Old 08-11-2020, 6:19 AM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post

This is the tricky thing. It can be the absence of clarity in local laws that is confusing. For example, my county has a no guns policy in county parks. The county ordinance says nothing about CCW or exemptions. I asked my IA. Their answer was "don't carry in county parks". Same can be true for local city ordinances, many of which can be difficult to find.
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

NRA Lifetime Member : CalGuns Lifetime Member : GOA Lifetime Member

Old 08-11-2020, 6:32 AM

Quote:
As a new CCW holder.
Quote:
I do not have a permit yet, so I’m hoping to be granted one on the 10th.

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain
Old 08-11-2020, 6:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnireland View Post
Considering the collapse of law and order in this country, and the continuing violence that destroying our cities, I wouldn't wait for a CCW to start carrying. However I would have the name and phone number of an attorney who specializes in gun issues, kept in my pocket.
So, John, do you have a permit, or are you now illegally carrying a loaded, concealed weapon?

If you have a permit, did you illegally carry prior to issuance, or did you wait?

Enquiring minds, etc.
Old 08-11-2020, 6:53 AM

Quote:
I do not have a permit yet, so I’m hoping to be granted one on the 10th.
Have to wonder how yesterday turned out.....
Old 08-11-2020, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
This is the tricky thing. It can be the absence of clarity in local laws that is confusing. For example, my county has a no guns policy in county parks. The county ordinance says nothing about CCW or exemptions. I asked my IA. Their answer was "don't carry in county parks". Same can be true for local city ordinances, many of which can be difficult to find.
But that is not, overtly, a local CCW law - it's a general prohibition on firearms in the specified area.

As to local laws ...
https://www.municode.com/library/ca
http://www.qcode.us/codes.htm
http://www.amlegal.com/codes/ca/

Or, search directly for "[city/county name] code"; often those will be linked from the main city/county page.

And then there are special districts, legally allowed to make their own security regulations.

Walking on eggs, we are.

- Marcus Aurelius