Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

Old 06-24-2020, 10:54 PM

Default Shooting int the Desert

Hello Everyone! A group of friend and I are looking to find a spot in the Dessert that we can go shooting. I always hear of people "Going out to the desert", and I'm trying too get some information or at least some direction on how, and were to do this legally. We're looking to shoot Pistols, Shotguns, old rifles, and Ar's. All legally owned and CA compliant.

The last thread that I saw on this site regarding this topic was from 2009 so I was curious if anyone could shed some light on where it is legal to drive out to as things stand in todays world. Is BLM land still ok? Some random spot picked far away off the highway? I live in Los Angeles and I've heard Mojave is a good place to start. True?

I'm not looking to do anything illegal. I don't want to go out there so I can shoot fully automatic, or blow things up. I just want to be able to go out with some friends, set up a few tables, and shoot.

I'm guessing people have their coveted spots, so I doubt anyone will give me directions to a good place, but any information about what to look for, or how far to go, or what county to go to etc, would be a great help.

(However please feel free to leave directions if you'd like!)

Thank for any information
Old 06-24-2020, 11:51 PM

Hodge road shooting area south of Barstow
Old 06-25-2020, 12:22 AM

Jawbone Canyon Road about 25 miles out of Mojave..

lots of small canyon camp sites with good impact areas for safe private shooting..

https://www.blm.gov/visit/jawbone-canyon-ohv-area

great store about a mile before the canyon road and you can enter the wash there by 4x4 or OHVs

http://www.jawbonecanyonstore.com/
Old 06-25-2020, 3:48 AM
Veteran Member

Please remember to be a good outdoorsman by leaving the place cleaner than you found it.
Old 06-25-2020, 4:57 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Jawbone canyon is blm so check if open.
Old 06-25-2020, 7:52 AM

Please remember, no clay pigeons. They do not biodegrade in the desert and are an eyesore for years. Be safe and have fun.
Old 06-25-2020, 7:57 AM

Sounds great! Awesome note about the Clay Pigeons. I was not aware that they did not biodegrade in the desert. Is that because of the lac of rain?

I will defiantly be respectful of the land and clean up after myself. I hate seeing trash in the wilderness!
Old 06-25-2020, 9:46 AM

Just my .02 cents. I was there last weekend for the first time (Hodge Road off the 15 North fwy). Wear closed toe shoes (broken glass, metal shrapnel from propane, computers, etc.). Have canopies, tables, chairs, food/drinks. Be safe, use common sense, and have fun!! One more thing pack it in pack it out.

Last edited by Enter_the_Dragon; 06-25-2020 at 9:48 AM..
Old 06-25-2020, 9:58 AM

Any blm land out past mojave is a good bet. You can always find a nice deserted area with a good back stop.
I try not to shoot too close to jawbone simply because there are alot of dirtbikers and 4x4ers.
Old 06-28-2020, 5:50 PM

What if you live in the riverside area anything closer ?
Old 06-30-2020, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshebroe75 View Post
Sounds great! Awesome note about the Clay Pigeons. I was not aware that they did not biodegrade in the desert. Is that because of the lac of rain?

I will defiantly be respectful of the land and clean up after myself. I hate seeing trash in the wilderness!
Correct Little rain in the desert....and thanks for being respectful of the ever diminishing lands available to responsible shooters