Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Blades, Bows and Tools
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Blades, Bows and Tools Discussion of non-firearm weapons and camping/survival tools.

Old 07-16-2020, 9:27 PM

I got a new Covert from Tom Mayo. Tom's a bit of a friend and I've got a few of his knives. He makes knives that are simple, ergonomic and sublime. He's in his 70s and may not be active forever, so when I had the chance to score a Covert directly from him, I couldn't pass it up!

The Covert is an interesting knife. Mine is a medium, so about a 3.5" blade. The really interesting thing is that a covert is completely rust proof and non magnetic. The scales are 6AL4V Titanium, so non-ferrous. The blade is Stellite 6K, so a cobalt matrix with lots of carbides, but no iron. Add in all Ti hardware and you have a knife that can live around water and never rust, or maybe even slip into places where it shouldn't. The story is that Tom originally designed the Covert for some Alphabet Soup .gov guys that were security conscious. The covert is the one in the pic with all the holes. I am super stoked!

I have another knife from Tom (TNT model) that is the same profile, but has a steel blade and hardware, so would trigger a metal detector, unlike the Covert. It's the one with the straight line of holes in the pic. It's a favorite EDC for me as it's slim and easy to carry, but super useful. The blade on this one is 154CM and is slightly pitted as I took it swimming in the Pacific on a trip to Hawaii. The pitting is purely cosmetic and would negatively affect resale value, but doesn't impact the knife's performance at all.

Last edited by Excitable Boy; 07-18-2020 at 4:39 PM..
Old 07-17-2020, 7:21 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
Very nice, I've been thinking of buying a used HDFK if the right one comes along.
Ya i want a HDFK as well but the DEK1 looks promising too. In antique micarta or gray terotuff
Old 07-17-2020, 7:22 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excitable Boy View Post
I got a new Covert from Tom Mayo. Tom's a bit of a friend and I've got a few of his knives. He makes knives that are simple, ergonomic and sublime. He's in his 70s and may not be active forever, so when I had the chance to score a Covert directly from him, I couldn't pass it up!

The Covert is an interesting knife. Mine is a medium, so about a 3.5" blade. The really interesting thing is that a covert is completely rust proof and non magnetic. The scales are 6AL4V Titanium, so non-ferrous. The blade is Stellite 6K, so a cobalt matrix with lots of carbides, but no iron. Add in all Ti hardware and you have a knife that can live around water and never rust, or maybe even slip into places where it shouldn't. The story is that Tom originally designed the Covert for some Alphabet Soup .gov guys that were security conscious. I have another knife from Tom (TNT model) that is the same profile, but has a steel blade and hardware. It's a favorite EDC for me as it's slim and easy to carry, but super useful. The covert is the one in the pic with all the holes. I am super stoked!

If I can figure out how to share a pic on this photo hostile site, I'll share later. Any tips appreciated.
I wish i could afford a Mayo. I have a MDD-K which is a production version of his Mayo Dr Death. It was made my Wingman edc and man it is a nice knife. I hope some day i could grab one of his customs and a kirby lambert too.

Last edited by etwinam; 07-18-2020 at 8:27 PM..
Old 07-17-2020, 12:32 PM

Just bought a USA made Kershaw. It is a Link 1776BLK. It replaces my Zero Tolerance which is quite heavy.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 07-17-2020, 11:59 PM

Picked up a Kershaw Launch 4 which Iím using for edc
Old 07-18-2020, 8:08 AM

1045D2AF-F2D6-45BD-8501-4036E6A4503B.jpg

Benchmade Mini Griptilian with the G-10 scales, 20CV steel and a deep pocket carry clip.
Old 07-18-2020, 2:55 PM

Winkler Recon in maple. I've wanted a Winkler for a while. I'm not a collector or anything and don't have much to compare to but the quality is more than impressive, including the sheath. She's a beaut.
Old 07-18-2020, 3:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Maybe you could make the picture bigger
Old 07-18-2020, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etwinam View Post
I wish i could afford a Mayo. I have a MDD-K which is a production version of his Mayo Dr Death. It qas made my Wingman edc and man it is a nice knife. I hope soke day i could grab one of his customs and a kirby lambert too.
I know some of the guys involved with the Wingman EDC project and they are good people. They are doing legit collaborations with the makers like Tom, not just ripping off their designs.

I have two Mayo customs that I EDC and a Buck 172 TNT that I take when traveling by airplane (not lately!). I love his ergonomic designs and the simplicity of his designs.

While I have a custom Dr. Death and a Black Ops, those don't get used as they are part of the collection for posterity and pretty valuable at this point.

I've thought of getting one of the Wingman EDCs to have a Dr. Death Jr. for factor that I could carry and not worry about the value diminishing too much due to wear and tear.

The Mayo customs I already EDC have been carried for years, so resale value is not a big consideration (TMX and Medium TNT).

Last edited by Excitable Boy; 07-18-2020 at 4:40 PM..
Old 07-18-2020, 8:34 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I know some of the guys involved with the Wingman EDC project and they are good people. They are doing legit collaborations with the makers like Tom, not just ripping off their designs.

I have two Mayo customs that I EDC and a Buck 172 TNT that I take when traveling by airplane (not lately!). I love his ergonomic designs and the simplicity of his designs.

While I have a custom Dr. Death and a Black Ops, those don't get used as they are part of the collection for posterity and pretty valuable at this point.

I've thought of getting one of the Wingman EDCs to have a Dr. Death Jr. for factor that I could carry and not worry about the value diminishing too much due to wear and tear.

The Mayo customs I already EDC have been carried for years, so resale value is not a big consideration (TMX and Medium TNT).
I have no experience with customs but I can tell you that I love my MDDK, especially for the kick off.

The size is a perfect gentlemen's edc. I can wear it in a suit pocket and it disappears. But I can still wear it with shorts as well. its a very versatile knife.

If I'm going to be drinking a lot I take my Leek instead haha, Just in case something gets lost, but that's about it.

Let me know if you ever get a deal on Mayo custom and need someone to take it off your hands. I know it's a stretch but it's worth a shot. Cheers buddy.

Old 07-19-2020, 1:29 PM

So, while I was shooting the pics above, I thought I'd gather all my Mayo goodness for a family shot:

[IMG][/IMG]

The top four are unique in that the Dr. Death (top knife) has a CF front side with Mosaic pins and a Stellite 6K blade. The next two down are the new Covert and a Black Ops, so both completely non magnetic. #4 is a true TNT as it has Titanium scales and a Talonite blade.

Below that is a TMX and a TNT with steel blade and hardware. Those two are my user Mayos. The TNT more than the TMX. I am lucky to be able to carry some custom knives mostly hand made by a friend that I can count on even if things get rough. I've got a t-shirt from Tom with the logo "Rockhardtoolsdesguised as art". It's a true statement!

The bottom three are Mayo collaborations with Buck Knives. probably the nicest modern folding knives Buck has ever made. The top one is a Buck 172CFSLE. Basically a limited production Mayo TNT design with a CF presentation scale and an S30V blade. It's perhaps the coolest production knife I own. The Buck 172 series is based on the same profile as the TNT I carry and the new Covert I just got. Under that is a plain Buck 172 with Ti scales and an S30V blade. It's my preferred knife for airline travel as it's cool, useful and I wouldn't be heartbroken if it got stolen from my checked bag like I would with a real Mayo custom. The bottom knife is a Buck Mayo 171 which is a mini version of his 25th anniversary Bowie. It's a cute little knife with a 2.5" S30V blade, so still a useful knife in places where size is an issue.
Old 07-19-2020, 2:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
So, while I was shooting the pics above, I thought I'd gather all my Mayo goodness for a family shot:

[IMG][/IMG]

The top four are unique in that the Dr. Death (top knife) has a CF front side with Mosaic pins and a Stellite 6K blade. The next two down are the new Covert and a Black Ops, so both completely non magnetic. #4 is a true TNT as it has Titanium scales and a Talonite blade.

Below that is a TMX and a TNT with steel blade and hardware. Those two are my user Mayos. The TNT more than the TMX. I am lucky to be able to carry some custom knives mostly hand made by a friend that I can count on even if things get rough. I've got a t-shirt from Tom with the logo "Rockhardtoolsdesguised as art". It's a true statement!

The bottom three are Mayo collaborations with Buck Knives. probably the nicest modern folding knives Buck has ever made. The top one is a Buck 172CFSLE. Basically a limited production Mayo TNT design with a CF presentation scale and an S30V blade. It's perhaps the coolest production knife I own. The Buck 172 series is based on the same profile as the TNT I carry and the new Covert I just got. Under that is a plain Buck 172 with Ti scales and an S30V blade. It's my preferred knife for airline travel as it's cool, useful and I wouldn't be heartbroken if it got stolen from my checked bag like I would with a real Mayo custom. The bottom knife is a Buck Mayo 171 which is a mini version of his 25th anniversary Bowie. It's a cute little knife with a 2.5" S30V blade, so still a useful knife in places where size is an issue.
Beautiful collection
Old 07-29-2020, 2:10 PM

Boker F3 Carbon Vox
Monthly knife club sub.
Old 09-09-2020, 1:59 PM

Bought my boy a Victorinox Swiss Army Camper pocketknife. He can have it for the rest of his life.
Old 09-09-2020, 2:34 PM

Default Buck-AKC-Benchmade

Buck 110 Automatic Lockback Knife Ebony (3.75" Satin)
AKC X-treme EVO OTF Automatic Knife Black / Orange Slide (3.5" Satin)
Benchmade 4400-1 Casbah Automatic Knife Blue Grivory (3.4" Satin)

P.S. I live in Florida Part Time where keep these knifes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8187[5922631].jpg (93.0 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8188[5924888.jpg (90.7 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by TurboAR; 09-09-2020 at 7:48 PM..
Old 09-10-2020, 12:20 PM

So far my favorite daily carry.

RHK XM-18 with M390.

Old 09-10-2020, 3:33 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Damn those lanyards look mighty fine
Old 09-10-2020, 5:09 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuuze View Post
So far my favorite daily carry.

RHK XM-18 with M390.

I love my XMs, I have switched completely over to Skinnies though.
Old 09-10-2020, 7:10 PM

Rockstead Chou
Old 09-11-2020, 4:24 PM
Veteran Member

Just ordered a Pena Apache and trapper, first Modern traditional knife. Pretty excited.
Old 09-11-2020, 4:52 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I just bought: Kershaw Barricade (8650) Multifunction Rescue Pocket Knife with 3.5 Inch Stainless Steel Blade; Features SpeedSafe Assisted Opening with Flipper, Glass Breaker Tip, Belt Cutter, and Pocketclip; 4.5 oz for $24.95. Had the knife I kept in the kitchen break so it won't stay locked open. Taking the knife I had on my belt and putting it in the drawer and wearing this one which is a bit bigger.

Mojave Lever Crew Member

""Know thy enemy and know yourself; in a hundred battles, you will never be defeated." Sun Tzu: https://twitter.com/Balgor11

Sustaining Member of Balgor's Iggy list.
Old 09-11-2020, 10:51 PM

Just got an Ontario OKC-3S for my m4 clone. I definitely prefer it over the M9 bayonet in both form and function.
Old 09-12-2020, 1:40 PM

Just ordered a Benchmade Mini Presidio II CF-Elite #575-1
Old 09-12-2020, 1:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by instaramen View Post
Just got an Ontario OKC-3S for my m4 clone. I definitely prefer it over the M9 bayonet in both form and function.
These are nice.
Old 09-12-2020, 2:03 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt1372 View Post
Just ordered a just released Spyderco Nightstick.
Nice one. Even Spyderco makes nicer Fixed blades than Gerber.

Quote:
Just bought it because I hadn't bought a knife for awhile and was having "withdrawal" symptoms.
You know who's fault that is, hahahah. TDS.
Old 09-12-2020, 6:02 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by instaramen View Post
I ordered one... $124 - did I get a decent deal on these?

Mulling over an M7
Old 09-13-2020, 5:35 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

20200913_172400.jpg

Spyderco PM2
Gerber Strongarm
Leatherman Sidekick
Old 09-13-2020, 6:23 PM

Just bought a "LEATHERMAN - Skeletool RX Multitool with Serrated Knife and Glass Breaker without Sheath". $79.95 on amazon.

But I mainly bought it for the pliers and glass breaker.

I haven't bought a really good knife in a few years. In the attachment, can you pick out the real one from the fake one?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gFoSEZdYTeCeCy150RTnHw.jpg (84.1 KB, 27 views)
Old 09-14-2020, 7:05 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

20200914_171902.jpg

Boker Stubby Strike D2 Auto
Gerber E-Z Out s30v
Old 09-14-2020, 7:56 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnichols View Post
Attachment 936089

Spyderco PM2
Gerber Strongarm
Leatherman Sidekick
Making me miss that model PM2... what a nice folder and slicer
Old 09-15-2020, 12:39 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I don't know about that I really like my Gerber MkI's (I've got 3 of them) and I don't think the Nightstick is "better" than any of them.
What steels are they made of? "Stainless" ? I guess it doesn't matter if you don't cut anything with them. Looks like a stabby boot knife.
Old 09-16-2020, 3:41 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
The Mark I's are so pointy sharp that you could easily eviserate someone with it w/a penetration entry stab and a lateral cut upon exit.

The Nightstick wouldn't be as effective
The Nightstick wouldn't be as effective because it is a 4" blade. The MKI's 5" blade isn't as effective as a MKII 6.5" blade. 5" blades are pretty inadequate. The MKII's are not as effective as a 8" blade. 440C is ok for stainless. Definitely not a super steel, but it doesn't suck as much as most people think it sucks. Everyone has an opinion
Old 09-16-2020, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etwinam View Post
I love my XMs, I have switched completely over to Skinnies though.
I like the regular XM width for it's robustness.

If I need a skinny I use the Paramilitary 2.
Old 09-16-2020, 3:16 PM
I need a LIFE!!

OKC bayo... pretty sweet blade. Reminds me of a SYKCO parkerized Regulator... this is a beast compared to the KABAR "Big Brother" I got a while ago and sent back because it SUCKED. OKC is legit.

Doesn't fit a pencil barrel on a AR22 but it locks in... didn't feel like digging through uppers to find a HBAR with a lug and wouldn't fit any AR-10's...

NICE SHEATH on these too... just noticed there is even a ceramic rod integrated into the back under the molle webbing... peel it back to sharpen the knife I am guessing.

Last edited by crufflers; 10-07-2020 at 9:08 AM..
Old 09-16-2020, 3:18 PM
I need a LIFE!!

The $2 Natrix

via EBAY $25 code

Decent fit and finish... some blade play to be expected but not as crappy as a Thermite or other Wuhan fodder. I'll gift it to someone whining that they don't have a knife.
Old 09-16-2020, 3:28 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I don't think length is an issue.

The 4-5" Gerbers or Nightstick will penetrate at least 2/3rd the way into most people's abdominal cavity and just a twist and slash (assuing use turn the blade the proper way w/the Nightstick) will ruin anyone's life after that.
Like NINJAS do in movies? Ahhhahahah. Yeah we used to practice that... in the 6th grade bro. We used SWORDS. Nah you need 7" to reach vitals... I mean yeah on the internet that Gerber is fine. Make sure to use it on naked skinnies. Hahahahahah.
Old 09-19-2020, 9:00 PM

Just ordered a microtech socom elite two days ago and ordered 3 ultra tech show knives today.
Old 09-22-2020, 3:10 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

A 6" rapala for light use in kitchen left mine in truck in el paso. Very usefull for me. I have skinned hogs with mine. Couple licks with diamond lap puts edge back on.
Old 09-25-2020, 5:39 AM

Quote:
Just ordered a just released Spyderco Nightstick.

I went a similar route and picked up a Bastinelli Creations Grozo Fixed Blade PVD Knife

Old 09-25-2020, 2:11 PM
Veteran Member

Pena Trapper, great knife and even better EDC