Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 11-21-2019, 11:38 PM

Default GSG 1911-22; Added the CW accessory kit, having some issues. (mostly fixed)

Hey all. I've reached out to CW on this, just wanted to see if anyone else had run into this in the past.

I bought a GSG 1911-22 on sale at Turners back in May and I've had 700 rds through it since then.

I decided to get the CW Accessories 'Performance Accelerator Package" seen here: https://www.cwaccessories.com/produc...rmance-package to tighten up the gun a bit.

Upon firing a single round, the slide fails to return all the way forward into battery, preventing the next round from firing. I have to manually nudge the slide forward to get the gun into battery to fire.

If I pull the trigger having not done that, the hammer stops just short of the firing pin (I don't remember what the rimfire equivalent of that part is called, forgive me).

I examined the pistol at home and it seems as if the bushing may be the issue. With the stock barrel bushing, the slide returns to battery consistently. With the new CW bushing, the slide seems to hang up on the very last bit of travel. Pushing the slide forward manually results in an audible ‘click’ of the slide going into battery and a visible forward travel of somewhere between 1/16 and 1/32 of an inch. 

Anyone else have this issue? As said I've reached out to CW for a solution. Maybe I got a bad part? The guide rod seems to function perfectly with the stock bushing in there.

Last edited by B2D; 01-16-2020 at 10:49 PM..
Old 11-22-2019, 12:24 AM
Calguns Addict

With the new bushing, you're not using the barrel screw anymore, right?

Have you tried the factory recoil spring?
Old 11-22-2019, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
With the new bushing, you're not using the barrel screw anymore, right?

Have you tried the factory recoil spring?
Correct, I am not using the barrel screw with the allen head.

I haven't tried the factory recoil spring, as the one that came with the CW kit is supposed to be stronger, and I'd think that would actually help with getting the slide back in battery, rather than prohibit it.
Old 11-22-2019, 6:10 AM
Calguns Addict

Take the spring out, and work the slide up and back by hand. Does it go into battery freely?
Old 11-22-2019, 6:40 AM
Calguns Addict

Also make sure you're not dragging your left thumb on the slide, if you're right handed. The recoil spring is so soft that any resistance will cause in not to go into battery.

Shoot the gun right handed, and don't limp wrist it.
Old 11-22-2019, 6:53 AM
Village idiot
CGN Contributor

I had the exact same problem, but you aren't going to like my solution. The tolerances are too tight with the CWS accessories. Not their fault, they make their products consistently. However the GSG is pot metal lottery. Take a look at the extractor carefully and watch as it goes into battery. When I had the CWS accessories in place, the extractor would catch on the groove and cause the slide to not go into battery until you give it a gentle nudge.

I didn't want to file the groove so it was my excuse to buy the CWS barrel. The new barrel mated perfectly with the groove.

But like I said, you won't like my solution. Buying a $150 barrel for a $300 gun is probably not ideal. I enjoy shooting the modified GSG so I guess it was worth it.

Next time you the chance - look at the barrel placement when you are using the original bushing and the barrel screw versus, no barrel screw and the CWS bushing. The CWS bushing is great because it is consistent unlike the when you use the barrel screw when it varies by how much you torque it down. But the CWS bushing places the barrel just a hair bit higher. That is enough to offset the location of the extractor relative to the extractor groove.

side note: youtube etc will say, use fine grit sandpaper to remove overspray from the slide rails. I did that. But still did not solve the slide not going into battery.

Last edited by creampuff; 11-22-2019 at 11:57 AM..
Old 11-22-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creampuff View Post
I had the exact same problem, but you aren't going to like my solution. The tolerances are too tight with the CWS accessories. Not their fault, they make their products consistently. However the GSG is pot metal lottery. Take a look at the extractor carefully and watch as it goes into battery. When I had the CWS accessories in place, the extractor would catch on the groove and cause the slide to not go into battery until you give it a gentle nudge.

I didn't want to file the groove so it was my excuse to buy the CWS barrel. The new barrel mated perfectly with the groove.

But like I said, you won't like my solution. Buying a $150 barrel for a $300 gun is probably not ideal. I enjoy shooting the modified GSG so I guess it was worth it.

Next time you the chance - look at the barrel placement when you are using the original bushing and the barrel screw versus, no barrel screw and the CWS bushing. The CWS bushing is great because it is consistent unlike the when you use the barrel screw when it varies by how much you torque it down. But the CWS bushing places the barrel just a hair bit higher. That is enough to offset the location of the extractor relative to the extractor groove.

side note: youtube etc will say, use fine grit sandpaper to remove overspray from the slide rails. I did that. But still did not solve the slide not going into battery.

If the extractor alignment is the problem and you have verified this, you can tune the bottom of the extractor’s front edge with a file to put an angle on it that will allow the extractor to ride over that tiny point of contact. It’s not the ideal solution as it places a small amount of upward tension on the extractor, but if the interference is only 1 or 2 thousandths (which it likely is), this should fix it for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911Luvr View Post
I beg to differ. The full length dust cover rail makes a world of difference in the "when I run out of bullets I'm going to beat you to death with the pistol" look that causes bad guys to run in fear, and lesser men to feel inadequate. It looks just plain beastly and the extra heft up front does help manage recoil a bit better. Plus, an angel told me that when God called JMB to heaven it was to build him a full rail 1911!
Old 11-22-2019, 12:37 PM
Village idiot
CGN Contributor

Quote:
If the extractor alignment is the problem and you have verified this, you can tune the bottom of the extractor’s front edge with a file to put an angle on it that will allow the extractor to ride over that tiny point of contact. It’s not the ideal solution as it places a small amount of upward tension on the extractor, but if the interference is only 1 or 2 thousandths (which it likely is), this should fix it for you.

yes, but I was looking for an excuse to buy a $150 barrel for a $270 gun
Old 11-22-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
yes, but I was looking for an excuse to buy a $150 barrel for a $270 gun

Well if that’s all you wanted, you’re good to go! But if you need an excuse to spend $500 on a $270 gun you should look at his full slide replacement kits! Now if you feel the need to spend even more, you should look at his custom packages. Here’s your excuse for that:

Note: this is not my gun.

Quote:
I beg to differ. The full length dust cover rail makes a world of difference in the "when I run out of bullets I'm going to beat you to death with the pistol" look that causes bad guys to run in fear, and lesser men to feel inadequate. It looks just plain beastly and the extra heft up front does help manage recoil a bit better. Plus, an angel told me that when God called JMB to heaven it was to build him a full rail 1911!
Old 11-22-2019, 1:09 PM
Village idiot
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Well if that’s all you wanted, you’re good to go! But if you need an excuse to spend $500 on a $270 gun you should look at his full slide replacement kits! Now if you feel the need to spend even more, you should look at his custom packages. Here’s your excuse for that:

For most part, I don't believe the term "too much" should exist in Calguns when it comes to firearms. But I'll make an exception. That might be too much.
Old 11-22-2019, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Take the spring out, and work the slide up and back by hand. Does it go into battery freely?
No, actually. It's still getting hung up on that very last bit of travel. Rails are clean and lubed.

Quote:
Also make sure you're not dragging your left thumb on the slide, if you're right handed. The recoil spring is so soft that any resistance will cause in not to go into battery.

Shoot the gun right handed, and don't limp wrist it.
Yup - not dragging the slide, and not limp wristing, and I'm R handed.
Old 11-22-2019, 4:44 PM

Quote:

I'll look into that and get back to you. I love the 1911 form factor but as I've already put $50 grips and a $70 tuner kit and was planning on putting better sights on it, I'm starting to wonder if I should spent the money on a Buckmark.

Quote:
I'll look into that as well. I think I can buy a replacement extractor as well.

Quote:

Wow... is that a thumb rest screwed into the slide? Interesting.
Old 11-22-2019, 4:48 PM

On another note, CW got back to me this afternoon. He recommended more lube and trying the Variable Recoil Spring that came with the kit, instead of the power spring.

The stock spring doesn't solve the issue, but interestingly enough the VRS does seem to alleviate the issue, but not solve it.

Pulling the slide back and letting go or releasing it from slide lock (with dummy ammo) results in the slide not going fully into battery about 4 our of 5 times.

CW also recommended sanding the outside of the end of the barrel slightly as there can sometimes be a bump where the barrel cap is welded in. There's isn't one that I can see or feel. I would think that sanding would make it not as slick but I might try it.
Old 11-22-2019, 10:09 PM

Quote:

Is this NICE pistol on Roster ?
Old 11-22-2019, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie1234 View Post
Is this NICE pistol on Roster ?

It’s a GSG, so yes. It was then custom built into the racegun you see, but you can send Chet at CWA your GSG to do the same thing.

Quote:
Old 11-24-2019, 1:05 AM

Quick update... did as creampuff suggested and checked the extractor. It's not hanging up, it's moving in n out freely.

I did take it apart and clean it again. I hadn't cleaned the rails as well as I'd thought and that was probably contributing. It's noticeably smoother now but still not where it needs to be.

ysr_racer directed me to EGW for a bushing. I think i may order one that's not quite so tight on the barrel diameter. The stock bushing inner diameter is .599 which visibly leaves too much space. The CW version is .565 which is likely too tight. EGW's gunsmith fit measures .568, which is close to the CW part, so I may order one closer to .570, perhaps?

If that doesn't solve it I'll look at other options.

Last edited by B2D; 11-24-2019 at 1:13 AM..
Old 11-24-2019, 1:23 PM
Village idiot
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2D View Post
Quick update... did as creampuff suggested and checked the extractor. It's not hanging up, it's moving in n out freely.

I did take it apart and clean it again. I hadn't cleaned the rails as well as I'd thought and that was probably contributing. It's noticeably smoother now but still not where it needs to be.

ysr_racer directed me to EGW for a bushing. I think i may order one that's not quite so tight on the barrel diameter. The stock bushing inner diameter is .599 which visibly leaves too much space. The CW version is .565 which is likely too tight. EGW's gunsmith fit measures .568, which is close to the CW part, so I may order one closer to .570, perhaps?

How much contact , if any,is the barrel making with the CWS bushing?
Old 11-24-2019, 4:54 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2D View Post

What's your barrel diameter? The reason I ask is mine is .550

EGW is making my bushing with an inside diameter of .553

Anything bigger is too loose.

Last edited by ysr_racer; 11-24-2019 at 5:11 PM..
Old 11-25-2019, 10:49 PM

Quote:
How much contact , if any,is the barrel making with the CWS bushing?
Quote:
What's your barrel diameter? The reason I ask is mine is .550

EGW is making my bushing with an inside diameter of .553

Anything bigger is too loose.
Did some more careful measurements; the barrel diameter measures .550 and the CW bushing measures .565 in the inner diameter. That should be MORE than enough room. How much of a gap is really needed? Not much I'd imagine. If YSR's bushing works then .005 or less should be OK.

Which means that something else is causing the slide to hang up in that last bit of travel.

Hmmm... I may talk to my local gunsmith about this one if I can't fix it myself.
Old 11-26-2019, 9:32 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Did your GSG experience any improvement in accuracy and precision with those mods?

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 11-26-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
Did your GSG experience any improvement in accuracy and precision with those mods?
I think so, though it was hard to tell having to 'fix' the pistol after almost every shot.

point of impact centered up but it's still shooting high. I expected that due to the tighter bushing fit.

I was gonna get the Dawson sight set for it first because they're adjusted for that, but I'd like to get this cycling issue fixed first.
Old 11-26-2019, 2:53 PM
Calguns Addict

If you take the barrel off, and the bushing off, are you able to slide the bushing over the barrel when they're not on the gun?

If you are, then it's something else that's hanging up because the barrel is at a different angle.
Old 11-26-2019, 3:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Have you tried changing the barrel link?

Old 11-26-2019, 10:57 PM

Quote:
If you take the barrel off, and the bushing off, are you able to slide the bushing over the barrel when they're not on the gun?

If you are, then it's something else that's hanging up because the barrel is at a different angle.
Yes, and I agree. Something else is preventing going into battery consistently. I'm going to take a look at that extractor again. I don't know what else it could be.

I'm good with tinkering with guitars, and this isn't my first pistol but it is my first .22 and my first gun I've tinkered with. I'm learning the logic here.

Quote:
Have you tried changing the barrel link?

These don't really have a barrel link in the same way that a typical 1911 does. It's more of a solid lug that's attached to the barrel under the chamber. There are three holes in it... center one holds the slide release and the back one is labeled as a 'fixing pin'. The front one is suppose to be optional after using a tighter bushing, as the tighter bushing is doing the job that the front screw was doing, which was holding the barrel in place.

(pic is for reference, not my pistol).
Old 11-27-2019, 5:58 AM
Calguns Addict

I know there's no barrel link, that's why I put the smiley face
Old 11-27-2019, 6:18 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
It’s a GSG, so yes. It was then custom built into the racegun you see, but you can send Chet at CWA your GSG to do the same thing.
Putting “racegun” features on a GSG 1911-22 is like putting a road bike gear system on a kid’s tricycle and trying to ride it in the Tour de France. You can put all the lipstick you want on a pig, but it won’t help.

Old 11-27-2019, 6:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor McRifle View Post
Putting “racegun” features on a GSG 1911-22 is like putting a road bike gear system on a kid’s tricycle and trying to ride it in the Tour de France. You can put all the lipstick you want on a pig, but it won’t help.

You’ve obviously never seen or shot a GSG that has been upgraded. Several of the top Steel Challenge shooters in the world shoot these. Several matches have been one by “pigs in lipstick” so I wouldn’t discount the ability of these guns to perform with CWA parts.

Quote:
Old 11-27-2019, 7:39 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Agreed, you may not win the Tour de France, but you'll still have a pretty cool tricycle
Old 11-27-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
I know there's no barrel link, that's why I put the smiley face
doh!! I missed the significance of that part.
Old 11-27-2019, 10:59 AM
Village idiot
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
Yes, now that I am done it does group almost as tightly as my Buckmark. It has the fun factor that the Buckmark doesn't have though.
Old 11-27-2019, 11:41 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
You’ve obviously never seen or shot a GSG that has been upgraded. Several of the top Steel Challenge shooters in the world shoot these. Several matches have been one by “pigs in lipstick” so I wouldn’t discount the ability of these guns to perform with CWA parts.
I own a GSG-made SIG Sauer 1911-22 with one of these accuracy upgrade kits installed. It's easily the worst gun I've ever owned.

Old 11-27-2019, 11:55 AM
I need a LIFE!!

You can't polish a turd but you can make them pretty shiny. I'd prefer to sink any spare gun $ into my center fire 1911's.

As is, it's accurate enough and cheap to use. Who could ask for more?
Old 11-27-2019, 12:16 PM

Fun to shoot and as accurate as the shooter

Trump mimics people with narcissistic personality disorder, long-term pattern of abnormal behavior, exaggerated with feelings of self-importance, excessive need for admiration, and a lack of empathy as he awaits the enthronement.

Often hard to tell the difference between the bots, the convicts, and the meshugas.
Old 11-27-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
I own a GSG-made SIG Sauer 1911-22 with one of these accuracy upgrade kits installed. It's easily the worst gun I've ever owned.

The upgrade kit isn’t what I was talking about. A fully upgraded CWA GSG is what I was talking about as seen in my posts above. Do you have the CWA complete upper?

Quote:
Old 11-27-2019, 12:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
The upgrade kit isn’t what I was talking about. A fully upgraded CWA GSG is what I was talking about as seen in my posts above. Do you have the CWA complete upper?
No. One tube of lipstick didn't make a difference. I didn't see how a whole case of lipstick would help. I generally don't like throwing good money after bad.

Old 11-27-2019, 4:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
No. One tube of lipstick didn't make a difference. I didn't see how a whole case of lipstick would help. I generally don't like throwing good money after bad.
I'll spare you the indignity of having it, and I'll throw in a hundred bucks?
Old 11-27-2019, 4:20 PM

Quote:

Ok, so you’ve never tried one and obviously are not into building custom guns, but still felt the need to comment about one. Cool, that’s super helpful, so thanks for that.

Quote:
Old 11-27-2019, 5:59 PM
Calguns Addict

Nothing against custom guns but I sure wouldn’t use a a GSG 1911/22 as the base.
NRA LIFE (1974) Psalm 46:10
I had a commission/USNR from 71-77 but never consider myself a Vet MyDad+4uncles/USMC/WW2/Korea/Vietnam. My Grandfather US Army WW1. No heroes,just regular folks--they were Veterans.

“Do not be deceived.God is not mocked. You will reap what you sow.”
Old 11-27-2019, 6:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
LMAO.
NRA LIFE (1974) Psalm 46:10
I had a commission/USNR from 71-77 but never consider myself a Vet MyDad+4uncles/USMC/WW2/Korea/Vietnam. My Grandfather US Army WW1. No heroes,just regular folks--they were Veterans.

“Do not be deceived.God is not mocked. You will reap what you sow.”
Old 11-27-2019, 6:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Ok, so you’ve never tried one and obviously are not into building custom guns, but still felt the need to comment about one. Cool, that’s super helpful, so thanks for that.
Since this thread is about issues with a CW accessory kit on a pot metal GSG and your advice was to turn it into a “racegun,” I might have saved someone a lot of money. So you’re welcome.