Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 08-13-2019, 10:33 AM

I wonder if Mayor Liccardo is willing to compromise? Anyone with his "firearms insurance" gets a city-wide CCW no questions asked upon presentation of an insurance certificate.

It isn't much but it is a step in the right direction, but you can bet your bottom dollar the idea will go down in flames. The left isn't interested in compromise, it wants control.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:07 AM

As good a time as any for them to try this scheme. The 9th is no longer a sure thing, and SCOTUS might be interested. Might turn into another NY handgun transport law fiasco for the Democrats.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
"Gun owners who have taken a safety course might receive a discount, whereas someone with a prior domestic violence conviction would be forced to pay a higher price for insurance."
Quote:
The liability insurance Liccardo is proposing would cover both accidental discharges of a firearm as well as any intentional acts if a person's gun was used by a third party. However, it would not cover any misconduct by the policyholder.
It's like they didn't even take a few minutes to think this through. Why would someone with a domestic violence conviction be more likely to accidentally fire a gun or have their gun stolen?

Who is going to maintain a policy for a gun after it is stolen anyway? Is an insurance company going to allow you to continue paying your premiums for a gun that's in a criminal's possession?

The real kicker here is that they are going to require you to pay a fee if you won't (or can't) get insurance. It's obvious that they have no intention of accomplishing anything other than grabbing some quick cash at gun owners expense and the fact that they get to do a little grandstanding on the topic is just a bonus.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:22 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Domestic violence conviction? Maybe Liccardo (former deputy DA) isn't aware of federal law. Lifetime ban.
Old 08-13-2019, 1:32 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aklon View Post
I wonder if Mayor Liccardo is willing to compromise? Anyone with his "firearms insurance" gets a city-wide CCW no questions asked upon presentation of an insurance certificate.
Way too reasonable of an idea...no chance in hell (San Jose) it gets any traction.

Besides, SJ is in Santa Clara Co. Nobody gets to carry there, unless of course, you give enough money to the Sheriff
Old 08-13-2019, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sousuke View Post
Two things jump out me.

1. Didnít the state recently try to ban firearm liability insurance?

2. There is no insurance policy out there that covers illegal actions that Iím aware of. The mayor states that people have auto insurance...ok but if your car is stolen and then itís rammed in to another car, neither you or your insurance pay out liabilities
Correct on both counts. There is no liability of a firearm owner for the criminal use of a firearm after it has been stolen. I seem to recall a similar stunt was tried with respect to vehicles, in essence an argument that if you "negligently" allowed someone to steal your car, you should be held liable for any later accidents. I don't recall what the outcome of that attempt was--that was a long time ago--but I suspect it was a giant fail.
Old 08-21-2019, 5:40 PM

So, if ever this nonsense is passed. How much do you think would a $1M policy for a glock 19 be?
Old 08-21-2019, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMMA92 View Post
So, WHEN this nonsense is passed. How much do you think would a $1M policy for a glock 19 be?
FIFY
Old 08-21-2019, 5:51 PM
Code Monkey
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMMA92 View Post
So, if ever this nonsense is passed. How much do you think would a $1M policy for a glock 19 be?
You can look at policies that currently exist for an upper limit. With all things, higher volume lowers costs and lowers price. If firearm owners were mandated to carry insurance, the costs would come down significantly. My best guess is around $200 a year.

https://psdapublic.rockwoodiq.com/
Old 08-21-2019, 7:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Angry

I hope the residents have returned a "kiss a million @$$e$" counter-proposal to him.
Old 08-21-2019, 7:23 PM

Imagine the potential fraud if payouts were high. Criminals will steal your gun and shoot themselves for a payout. They could just say a criminal shot them and dropped the gun as they ran away.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

"Hold Fast" when it comes to our 2nd Amendment rights!
Old 08-21-2019, 7:36 PM

since when does a CA city have the jurisdiction to impose such a requirement that is NOT mandated by state law?? Also, this is only another way to get the guns "registered".
Old 08-21-2019, 8:43 PM

everyone is trying for their fifteen minutes of so-called fame and appeal to the nut case liberals. Insurance will go up and not down just like your car insurance and house insurance. In this state the department of Insurance controls rates and that means the liberal democrats in the legislature will keep raising it. Good luck.