Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 08-01-2019, 9:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delskidodledo View Post
Good Day to you all, I currently am in the process for getting my initial ccw permit.

I submitted my application on 07/14/2019.

Got my interview on 07/18/2019 and did the live scan same day.

Submitted my firearms training cert 07/21/2019

Got my live scan results on 07/26/2019 & then I was told it was gonna take 90 days from now by the clerk for a decision.

I’ve been told they over estimate alot. I was wondering what is the realistic timeline for me? I just have a deployment coming up on October and I would love to have it before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's going to take a while. My expiration date was on 7/17. I applied for renewal mid June. I haven't got my extension as of yet. I'm thinking the 90 days is about right. New sheriff in town.
Old 08-01-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delskidodledo View Post
Good Day to you all, I currently am in the process for getting my initial ccw permit.

I submitted my application on 07/14/2019.

Got my interview on 07/18/2019 and did the live scan same day.

Submitted my firearms training cert 07/21/2019

Got my live scan results on 07/26/2019 & then I was told it was gonna take 90 days from now by the clerk for a decision.

I’ve been told they over estimate alot. I was wondering what is the realistic timeline for me? I just have a deployment coming up on October and I would love to have it before.
90 days+ ... see my post, I just got mine approved a couple days ago and picked it up this week.
Old 08-01-2019, 10:55 AM

Okay thank you, I just wanted a realistic estimate. Because I read about this article and it lead me to this law. Which made me speculate that I only have to wait 30 days since my background check came back.

Senate Bill No. 610
CHAPTER 741
Existing law requires the licensing authority to give written notice to the applicant indicating if the license is approved or denied within 90 days of the initial application for a new license or a license renewal, or 30 days after receipt of the applicant’s criminal background check from the Department of Justice, whichever is later.

Old 08-01-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinerman View Post
It's going to take a while. My expiration date was on 7/17. I applied for renewal mid June. I haven't got my extension as of yet. I'm thinking the 90 days is about right.
It's probably going to be less than 90 days. Check out my renewal time results as recent as of two weeks ago.

.45 ACP. It's like a 9mm, except for grown-ups.
Old 08-01-2019, 1:44 PM

Default Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag+1 View Post
It's probably going to be less than 90 days. Check out my renewal time results as recent as of two weeks ago.

I just applied yesterday with everything (all training, documentation, et) finished at the get go. After applying, I immediately went and did my Livescan. So I will also serve as a guinea pig for the current wait times. My interview is in the next week or so.

I’m a new applicant.

Old 08-01-2019, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonLover View Post
I just applied yesterday with everything (all training, documentation, et) finished at the get go. After applying, I immediately went and did my Livescan. So I will also serve as a guinea pig for the current wait times. My interview is in the next week or so.

I’m a new applicant.

Let us know from the moment your live scan comes back, that is where the real processing time would be at. Anything before that varies from person to person, I’ve heard live scans go from 5 days with mine to 12 weeks. Goodluck brother

Old 08-02-2019, 8:43 AM

I had my interview april 9th
With class/live scan as well as my supporting documents so far Its been about 3 months 3 weeks
As still nothing 🤔
Old 08-02-2019, 4:45 PM

Initial application here. I had my interview on March 27. Everything was already turned in. I had done my livescan the week before and my training certificate was uploaded a week prior to my interview. I was asked for a couple items to supplement my good cause which were uploaded that same day. I was told in the interview that my application was extremely clean and the officer saw no reason that I would be denied. I was finally approved on July 19th. It was 16 weeks and 3 days of waiting. I called in repeatedly for updates, but I chalk it up to them being extremely busy as rarely did the CCW desk answer the phone. When I went in to pick up my license, there was at least 12 people waiting to pick up or be interviewed. All I can say is be patient and give them more time than you think it should take. The process is what it is!
Old 08-12-2019, 8:33 AM

Strange development here. Just wonder what y'all think. I got an email from my credit card company that GOVT PERMITS/CERTIFICATES has refunded my permit fee. I go to the OC Sheriff Carry Conceal Weapons Permit Portal, the one where you can check the status of your permit process and it says "Assigned to Processor / Processing Order" (which it didn't say Friday). The refund was processed Saturday. I've received no email on any change in status, which it says they'd do with any change in status. Ok, I'm officially confused now. Opinions?

Edit: forgot to mention, this is a renewal.

Last edited by Redhawker; 08-12-2019 at 9:20 AM..
Old 08-12-2019, 9:39 AM

This happened to me too. Ocsd said that they don't accept payment via the website yet and you must pay on person when you arrive yup pick up your permit.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Old 08-12-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icyoracle View Post
This happened to me too. Ocsd said that they don't accept payment via the website yet and you must pay on person when you arrive yup pick up your permit.

Thanks...that make me feel better. I was thinking maybe they just denied it with no explanation.
Old 08-12-2019, 11:28 AM

My status is still stuck at processing too. I submitted my renewal on 5/10/2019 and its just past the 90 days window and I've yet to hear anything. I'm really hoping to hear something soon as my permit is expired now.
Old 08-12-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhawker View Post
Strange development here. Just wonder what y'all think. I got an email from my credit card company that GOVT PERMITS/CERTIFICATES has refunded my permit fee. I go to the OC Sheriff Carry Conceal Weapons Permit Portal, the one where you can check the status of your permit process and it says "Assigned to Processor / Processing Order" (which it didn't say Friday). The refund was processed Saturday. I've received no email on any change in status, which it says they'd do with any change in status. Ok, I'm officially confused now. Opinions?

Edit: forgot to mention, this is a renewal.
Yeah, although they don't take credit cards online, the site allows it. So if you pay online, they'll just refund it. You'll have to pay in person when you go to pick up your license.

Old 08-12-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
My status is still stuck at processing too. I submitted my renewal on 5/10/2019 and its just past the 90 days window and I've yet to hear anything. I'm really hoping to hear something soon as my permit is expired now.
Interesting, because I submitted my renewal online (complete with training documentation) around May 13 and picked up my new license last month. Details here.

Old 08-12-2019, 1:28 PM

Quote:
Interesting, because I submitted my renewal online (complete with training documentation) around May 13 and picked up my new license last month. Details here.
Yea no clue what's going on. I've emailed twice to check on the status and just received the canned response that they process applications in the order they are received.

Old 08-12-2019, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Yea no clue what's going on. I've emailed twice to check on the status and just received the canned response that they process applications in the order they are received.
In the meantime, check your junk folder frequently to make sure the email from them did not get flagged as such.

Additionally, you can add the email address:
auto@permitium.com
to your safe senders list. That was the email address from which they send my approval notice.

Old 08-13-2019, 10:41 AM

Bring your checkbook on permit pickup - they want a check.
I don't know if they can take a CC at the office either, perhaps that's been updated for all I know.
Old 08-15-2019, 9:59 AM

OCSD doesn't want to take credit cards because when applicants are rejected, OCSD gets charged with chargeback fees. But keep on trying to use credit cards, and charging them chargebacks. I'm sure they will really appreciate that.

Be sure to add CRPA as your charity in Amazon Smile. $#!thead Bezos canceled it.
Old 08-16-2019, 2:26 PM

Applied for renewal Jun 22, still haven't heard a peep. Permit expires end of the month.

"assigning to processor shortly..."
Old 08-17-2019, 8:28 AM

I'm exactly one month past my renewal date. New sheriff or not , this is taking a long time.
Old 08-19-2019, 4:07 PM
Banned

Lets remember not too long ago they were issued almost weekly it seemed, now Barnes is at the helm and pretty much stalled.

Guess the Barnes fan boi’s were wrong
Old 08-19-2019, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinerman View Post
I'm exactly one month past my renewal date. New sheriff or not , this is taking a long time.
Based on my recent renewal timeline and from what others have said in this thread, I would think you will probably be approved next week sometime.

Old 08-20-2019, 5:49 AM

Quote:
Based on my recent renewal timeline and from what others have said in this thread, I would think you will probably be approved next week sometime.
Yes, I just got my approval. No questions asked. Thanks
Old 08-20-2019, 6:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebia View Post
Lets remember not too long ago they were issued almost weekly it seemed, now Barnes is at the helm and pretty much stalled.

Guess the Barnes fan boi’s were wrong
Often unwise to impugn malice, or something along those lines. I think it is purely the result of the rapid increase in permit issuance that started about two years ago, which has been sustained. In other words, if they issued 7K permits in 2017, and a large proportion of those are now being renewed, that is combining with the new permit applications that are flowing in at the same rate, if not more rapidly.

I believe the OCSD budget is healthy, but maybe not healthy enough to permit them to double the staff assigned to this.
Old 08-20-2019, 7:16 AM

^^This.
They push through as they can with the staff they have. A lot of streamlining and new personnel came at Barne's direction.

And yes, the two-year renewals come in right along with the new applications. I doubt the scope of work involved is realized by the average onlooker. It's a little more complicated than a drivers license. But look how nicely they run it!
Old 08-22-2019, 9:40 AM

Glad you finally got your approval.
It shouldn’t be long for me then. My expiration date was the same as yours.
Can you refresh my memory as to the date you first went online and started the renewal process? Thanks

Old 08-22-2019, 10:18 AM

Picked up my renewal.

5/10/2019 Renewal submitted online
8/12/2019 OCSD requested additional documentation
8/19/2019 Approved and picked up same day

Old 08-22-2019, 3:02 PM

Thank You!
How about yours, MarinerMan?
Mine expired on 7/18 with you...

Old 08-22-2019, 6:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal m1 shooter View Post
Often unwise to impugn malice, or something along those lines. I think it is purely the result of the rapid increase in permit issuance that started about two years ago, which has been sustained. In other words, if they issued 7K permits in 2017, and a large proportion of those are now being renewed, that is combining with the new permit applications that are flowing in at the same rate, if not more rapidly.

I believe the OCSD budget is healthy, but maybe not healthy enough to permit them to double the staff assigned to this.
Nope... barnes took the reigns with increased scrutiny wanting additional info flogging the system down. The “massive issuance” and renewals are overplayed. Just your hope squelching the real issue.

Extra scrutiny can be discussed wether its prudent or not. Could be some opportunist trying to cheat through the system
Old 08-22-2019, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebia View Post
Nope... barnes took the reigns with increased scrutiny wanting additional info flogging the system down.
What is this “additional info” you speak of?
Old 08-24-2019, 12:45 PM

Hello everyone, I’ve got a question and I’m hoping I can get some clarification.
I got my CCW a few months back and one of the firearms I have listed on my permit is a CA model shield that I purchased via PPT from a retired LEO. It’s completely stock with one exception... he had it sent to Robar for the whole NP3 treatment. When I purchased it I didn’t see it as a problem and my course instructed didn’t bat an eye as he looked it over and approved it, but now I’m reading that it could possibly get me into some hot water with the department as it could be seen as unapproved modification. Is this something I should be worried about? Am I better off selling it and buying a new from the factory gun? I’ve switched over to one of my other listed guns for the time being but I really do prefer the shield so I’m hoping I can get this figured out. Thank you for your time!
Old 08-24-2019, 12:51 PM

Best bet would be to just contact the sheriff's department and see what they say.

Old 08-24-2019, 2:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaza View Post
Hello everyone, I’ve got a question and I’m hoping I can get some clarification.
I got my CCW a few months back and one of the firearms I have listed on my permit is a CA model shield that I purchased via PPT from a retired LEO. It’s completely stock with one exception... he had it sent to Robar for the whole NP3 treatment. When I purchased it I didn’t see it as a problem and my course instructed didn’t bat an eye as he looked it over and approved it, but now I’m reading that it could possibly get me into some hot water with the department as it could be seen as unapproved modification. Is this something I should be worried about? Am I better off selling it and buying a new from the factory gun? I’ve switched over to one of my other listed guns for the time being but I really do prefer the shield so I’m hoping I can get this figured out. Thank you for your time!
Not sure what the np3 is but if they touched the trigger i would carry somthing else. Also im sure prosecutors will point out how you had you gun modified into a more lethal killing machine.
Old 08-25-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaza View Post
My CCW trainer said that custom finishes are a violation of policy. He told a story where one CCW licensee had all his guns chromed and they couldn't be put on his permit. And my trainer said he had asked OCSD about this policy and they confirmed it. I have a similar electroless nickel finish on one of my handguns, so I previously looked into this.

The truth is, there is probably a zero percent chance that the OCSD would ever find out about the coating on your gun. Obviously whomever you used to qualify the weapon didn't notice it? Not like you chromed a Glock. Personally, I don't want to be carrying a weapon in violation of OCSD policy for various reasons.

And yeah I think this is a silly rule, but being petulant about it does me no good. I'm just thankful that I can get a permit in California, something for the vast majority of my life I never thought would never happen.

Be sure to add CRPA as your charity in Amazon Smile. $#!thead Bezos canceled it.
Old 08-25-2019, 11:48 AM

I heard that the number of permits in OC is actually down below 20,000, even if they continue to issue roughly 500 permits per month.

It seems many elect not to renew, and one of the main reasons is because a good number of permit holders are apparently leaving the state, at least for 51% of the time, if not permanently.
Old 08-26-2019, 6:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal m1 shooter View Post
I heard that the number of permits in OC is actually down below 20,000, even if they continue to issue roughly 500 permits per month.

It seems many elect not to renew, and one of the main reasons is because a good number of permit holders are apparently leaving the state, at least for 51% of the time, if not permanently.

I'm one that did not renew. My permit was for carrying a firearm in my topbox on the adventure motorcycle. Bike is sold, have quit riding, too old and my back is whack. Have not carried a weapon in public in the four years I had my permit, and now retiring and building a home out of state.

When I get where I'm going maybe I'll get one there.

Enjoyed the process and the experience. And still enjoy shooting - have all my life.
Old 08-27-2019, 12:20 PM

As of 9/1/2019, OCSD will require license pick-ups via appointment only.
Old 09-02-2019, 4:28 PM
Veteran Member

Hello All,

Wisdom is needed for a renewal. Couple of questions.

1. Do I scan and resubmit the CA DOJ "Bureau of Firearms Initial & Renewal Application” or is it part of the online portion you fill out online now? Or is it not needed for renewal?

2. Other than the utility bills, CDL and Good Cause, is there anything I would need to scan and submit?

When I appiled originally everything was submitted in paper form. I'm just trying to see what I need or don't need this time
Old 09-04-2019, 2:54 PM

Picked up my permit today, and noted all of the dates along the way, so I can y'all an idea of timeline:

Applied: 6/7
Interviewed/Conditional Approval/Submit LiveScan: 6/11
Live Scan Approval: 6/20
Training & Certificate Submittal: 6/23
(certificate & serial no errors needed correction)
Investigator Approval & Submittal for Final Approval: 6/25
Conditional Final Approval + Error Correction: 8/28
(MORE certificate & serial no errors needed correction)
Final Approval & Pick Up: 9/4

AZ & UT Mailed: 7/2
AZ Received: 7/13
UT Received: 8/12

FL Mailed: 9/4
FL Received: 10/1

Looks like OCSD is running about 90 days at the moment, and I was pleasantly surprised at how on-the-ball AZ, FL, & UT were.

Last edited by live2suck; 11-06-2019 at 1:36 PM.. Reason: Added FL dates.
Old 09-04-2019, 4:05 PM
Veteran Member

Can anyone help this?

1. Do I scan and resubmit the CA DOJ "Bureau of Firearms Initial & Renewal Application” or do I just fill out what’s online now?

Like is it not needed for renewal?