Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 08-12-2019, 10:50 AM

Default San Jose mayor proposes 1st-in-nation insurance requirement for gun owners

http://www.ktvu.com/news/san-jose-ma...for-gun-owners

"Under Sam Liccardo's proposal, the insurance would include coverage for any accidental discharge of the gun and for the intentional acts of any third parties who steal, borrow, or otherwise acquire the gun. The insurance won't cover the liability of the policyholder for his or her own intentional conduct.

"Separately, Liccardo said that his staff will also explore if voters would want to put a measure on the ballot that would impose a tax on all ammunition and firearm purchases in the San Jose."
Old 08-12-2019, 10:54 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

What a d**k more taxes for gun owners, Sounds about right.
Old 08-12-2019, 12:25 PM

Two things jump out me.

1. Didnít the state recently try to ban firearm liability insurance?

2. There is no insurance policy out there that covers illegal actions that Iím aware of. The mayor states that people have auto insurance...ok but if your car is stolen and then itís rammed in to another car, neither you or your insurance pay out liabilities
Old 08-12-2019, 1:31 PM

This does not sound like self defense insurance at all, which is what the idiots have been proposing (edit: proposing to "disallow" is what I meant).

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

"Hold Fast" when it comes to our 2nd Amendment rights!

Last edited by holdfast; 08-12-2019 at 7:56 PM..
Old 08-12-2019, 2:19 PM

Attempting to burden the exercise of a Constitutional right and another incubation for failure to maintain a legislated edict as grounds for confiscation. We've all read the cookbook and any reasonable person can taste the contempt a mile away. As for the argument that "the cost of city police and emergency services required to address gun violence should be paid by gun owners, not all taxpayers" surely Mr. Liccardo is aware that property taxes pay for public safety regardless of gun ownership or not.
Old 08-12-2019, 2:27 PM

These are people willfully and knowingly trying to thwart the Constitution, thinking they're cute.

No nation on Earth requires gun owners to have liability insurance. None. Not Japan, not the UK.

There is no other item - none - which they think you should have to insure against the actions of a thief.

Lastly, there is nothing you have to insure merely because you own it. Yes, you need insurance to operate your vehicle on public roads, but not to get a Non-Op and leave it in the barn.
Old 08-12-2019, 2:28 PM

Just yet another law I won't be following....
Old 08-12-2019, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sousuke View Post
Two things jump out me.

1. Didnít the state recently try to ban firearm liability insurance?

2. There is no insurance policy out there that covers illegal actions that Iím aware of. The mayor states that people have auto insurance...ok but if your car is stolen and then itís rammed in to another car, neither you or your insurance pay out liabilities
They don't want you insured. In fact, they want to prohibit you from being insured.

Because if you're insured, your insurer is likely to hire a lawyer to prove in court that your actions were self-defense. If you're not insured they can use the threat of financially destroying you to leverage a plea.
Old 08-12-2019, 3:00 PM

If insurance companies will not insure, and it obvious why they wouldn't, it's akin to micro-stamping.

Neither is practical, but it does not stop politicos from creating and passing legislation.

Respectfully
Kyle

WE are the NRA.

"The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's on". -Joseph Heller, novelist (1 May 1923-1999)
_________+__________
Old 08-12-2019, 3:37 PM

VOTE THESE IDIOTS OUT

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified RSO
NRA Recruiter
Field Staff MNT OPS
Old 08-12-2019, 3:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

"Liccardo acknowledged that mandatory gun insurance is just one of many steps required to protect his city from gun violence. For instance, he is fully aware that the "bad guys" aren't going to follow the law and get gun insurance. Still, he said, violating the insurance ordinance would give police "one more tool" in curbing rampant gun use and abuse"

So, if you don't get insurance then you are a "bad guy" and legal gun use is "rampant" and must be eliminated.

Read the article, he has other proposed ideas too.
Old 08-12-2019, 4:36 PM

On the radio version of the story on KCBS I think I heard that the insurance would be a new requirement the dealer would check for in addition to the FSC prior to sale of a firearm. If that is true this law is designed to end all gun sales in San Jose. Liccardo must be trying to raise his profile before moving on to Sacramento.

Last edited by bool1tholz; 08-12-2019 at 4:51 PM..
Old 08-12-2019, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlist View Post
http://www.ktvu.com/news/san-jose-ma...for-gun-owners

"Under Sam Liccardo's proposal, the insurance would include coverage for any accidental discharge of the gun and for the intentional acts of any third parties who steal, borrow, or otherwise acquire the gun. The insurance won't cover the liability of the policyholder for his or her own intentional conduct.

"Separately, Liccardo said that his staff will also explore if voters would want to put a measure on the ballot that would impose a tax on all ammunition and firearm purchases in the San Jose."
While everyone debates here and starts to go on each other they will implement it... relax, take out your cold beer and is Monday night football!
Old 08-12-2019, 4:54 PM

what a freaking head ache!!
Old 08-12-2019, 5:07 PM

I can see the criminals flocking to get insurance before going out to commit crimes. (Shakes head)
Old 08-12-2019, 5:16 PM

If that nutcase in LA can try to ban all semi-automatic guns then you know every fruit loop who got elected to an office is going to try and out do him with some crazy insane idea. be prepared for more nut case legal proposals in the form of local laws hoping they go state wide. The fun is just beginning.
Old 08-12-2019, 5:47 PM
CGSSA Leader

Yes, pleaee sign me up for the NRA policy...ill make sure to ask them not to give me the cheapest policy...
Old 08-12-2019, 6:25 PM

I live 2 blocks away in Santa Clara! *phew*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-12-2019, 7:22 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have known Sam for over a decade...good guy...except...

He has statewide office in mind, he is a Gavin clone...and he will do ANYTHING it takes to get more power.

He has been against housing for years, he is a staunch liberal Democrat.

He knows zip about guns...and I am going to try to find out who gave him this crap plan...I have an idea...but not sure yet.

This is 100% aimed at higher office...everything about him is that way.

Get used to it...he will likely be around the power structure of the state for a while...

Oh, classic no moral compass politician...will do anything for votes and power.
Old 08-12-2019, 7:24 PM

What a genius, this will totally stop all illegal gun crimes!

/s
Old 08-12-2019, 7:38 PM

Glad I moved the f’ck up out of San Jose 4 years ago. So much stupid
Old 08-12-2019, 7:39 PM

They are scared. When people are afraid they do irrational things. Fear is how politicians have controlled people since the dawn of civilization.
Old 08-12-2019, 7:57 PM

Meanwhile, criminal insurance will be free.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

"Hold Fast" when it comes to our 2nd Amendment rights!
Old 08-12-2019, 8:06 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojisan View Post
"Liccardo acknowledged that mandatory gun insurance is just one of many steps required to protect his city from gun violence. For instance, he is fully aware that the "bad guys" aren't going to follow the law and get gun insurance. Still, he said, violating the insurance ordinance would give police "one more tool" in curbing rampant gun use and abuse"

So, if you don't get insurance then you are a "bad guy" and legal gun use is "rampant" and must be eliminated.

Read the article, he has other proposed ideas too.
Kind of like honest law abiding, insured drivers paying extra for uninsured motorist coverage....WTF is that?
Old 08-12-2019, 8:25 PM
Shiny
CGN Contributor

No insurance company is going to write a policy for what might be done with a gun that has been stolen and is no longer in your possession.
Does your car insurance cover damage a car thief does after he steals your car? I don't think so because you are not responsible for another person's actions.
Old 08-12-2019, 8:28 PM

Really? S.J. has much bigger problems to deal with.

We just moved away from S.J. F-that place. We were on lower east side. Heard the ghetto bird circling 2-3 nights a week, homeless pop out of control, constant home burglaries and car thefts in our area.

Oh yeah, sanctuary city, makes sense.
Old 08-12-2019, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarmy View Post

He has statewide office in mind, he is a Gavin clone...and he will do ANYTHING it takes to get more power.

He has been against housing for years, he is a staunch liberal Democrat.

He knows zip about guns...and I am going to try to find out who gave him this crap plan...I have an idea...but not sure yet.

This is 100% aimed at higher office...everything about him is that way.

Get used to it...he will likely be around the power structure of the state for a while...

Oh, classic no moral compass politician...will do anything for votes and power.
NO, he IS NOT a good guy....he is a rotten liberal scumbag who is anti freedom, and wants YOU, and everyone else disarmed and helpless.
Old 08-12-2019, 8:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by splithoof View Post
NO, he IS NOT a good guy....he is a rotten liberal scumbag who is anti freedom, and wants YOU, and everyone else disarmed and helpless.
What, you're telling me this is this first good guy with no moral compass you've ever heard of? You need to get out more man.
Old 08-12-2019, 9:39 PM

That's kinda like saying he's a good guy, except he beats his wife and murdered his in-laws...

The road to hell is paved with "good" intentions... and the bodies of good guys who got in the way of the other "good" guys.

The news down LA way is making hay of this insane proposal, so any stupid anti 2A, anti law abiding gun owner idea is in play... interesting times.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:50 PM

So, if my gun gets stolen and used in a crime, the insurance will cover it. But if I use the gun for self defense, it wonít protect me? So criminals will be protected, but not me? Thatís basically what Iím reading.
Old 08-13-2019, 5:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwatchdog View Post
So, if my gun gets stolen and used in a crime, the insurance will cover it. But if I use the gun for self defense, it won’t protect me? So criminals will be protected, but not me? That’s basically what I’m reading.
Yeah, it makes NO sense.
Old 08-13-2019, 5:49 AM

By this logic, I shouldn't have to pay taxes to fund public schools since I don't have any children.
ďSince the general civilization of mankind, I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpationĒ - James Madison, 1788

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"Don't worry scro!" - Dr. Lexus
Old 08-13-2019, 6:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarmy View Post

He's a "good guy" and will do "ANYTHING it takes to get more power"?

The guy you've known for a decade is a **** head.

كافر - Infidel

NRA PATRON MEMBER
Old 08-13-2019, 6:52 AM

Isn't he also the scumbag who had the SJPD stand down so that folks at Trump rally's could get beat on with impunity?

Registration is the first step towards confiscation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPimping View Post
Hunt them with Rottweilers and shotguns. Drive them underground into the sewers.
Old 08-13-2019, 7:01 AM
Hooligan
CGN Contributor

I hope he requires that the policy be no less than $10 million in liability insurance per person. Doooo It!!!!

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side kid" -Han Solo

"A dull knife is as useless as the man who would dare carry it"
Old 08-13-2019, 8:21 AM
Veteran Member

My argument for this has always been that automotives require insurance for operation on public roads.

If this is the train of thought, then we should only be required to have insurance for armed carry out in the public. Sounds like they need to issue carry licenses as common as they issue driver's licenses.
"When you get the (men) to the range, you just get the men. But when you bring the (women) to the range, you get the (whole family). And that's what's going to save our 2nd Amendment."--Dianna Liedorff

"Since self-preservation is the 1st law of nature, we assert the...right to self-defense. The Constitution...clearly affirms the right of every American...to bear arms. And as Americans, we will not give up a single right guaranteed under the Constitution." --Malcolm X
Old 08-13-2019, 8:32 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by splithoof View Post
Ummm...I was joking about the good guy part...the content of my post makes that point....( should have indicated that after the first line...my apologies)

Politicians by nature and the demands of getting elected...are not the type of people to be trusted....
Old 08-13-2019, 9:09 AM

Once again we see a "Knee Jerk" reaction after a mass shooting incident from a jerk politician.

Perhaps Sam didn't lookup the definition of "infringed" before proposing his latest leftist decree.

Last edited by Terminator2; 08-13-2019 at 9:37 AM..
Old 08-13-2019, 9:29 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Angry San Jose Mayor Proposing Liability Insurance For Gun Owner

We need to stop this now.

https://news.google.com/stories/CAAq...S&ceid=US%3Aen

This is going to cost gun owners. It will spread like wild fire to other jurisdictions.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:18 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Its apparent that too many gun owners have fled california and that our legacy of freedom has not been passed down to these voters.
The only option I can think of is to recruit republicans and join NRA/CRPA
Who is John Galt!
Recent NRA LIFE ENDOWMENT MEMBER--on the way to PATRON. See you friends, in Nashville next April 2020.

Last edited by ja308; 08-13-2019 at 10:21 AM..