Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 07-12-2019, 10:24 PM

I'm not sure its any closer to me than Livermore but its still exciting to have another choice (again) here in the East Bay.
Old 07-13-2019, 7:02 AM

Was up there Thursday. They had added all of the truss reinforcements and were skinning the east facing sides with plywood on the roof.
For the first time, I saw several guys working at the same time.6 or 7.
Usually only see 1 or 2 guys.

Will be up there tomorrow and see if it is worth taking new pics.
Old 07-13-2019, 8:12 AM

Steel Challenge Sunday!!!
Old 07-14-2019, 6:04 PM

Roofs skinned

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 07-14-2019, 8:32 PM

Does anyone know how they will be doing target stands? Will they have moveable target holders like at Sac Valley or stationary like Chabot had?
I would presume they'd do it however they used to but I've never shot there. I was always a Chabot regular.
Old 07-14-2019, 8:45 PM
Veteran Member

I would imagine they will have something similar to Livermore.
Old 07-14-2019, 9:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
So movable...shoot 25, 50, 75, 100 all from the same bench; just move the target holder.
Yes that was what I was thinking, not sure what Swagman00 is going on about but I guess he didn't realize I was responding to how the targets would be set up for different distances.
Old 07-14-2019, 9:45 PM
In Memoriam

Prior to closing USI had fixed wooden fences at 50 and 100yds on the rifle side. The cardboard backed target you received at the range house after paying slipped into the fence. Simple, inexpensive, and easy to replace.
-g
Old 07-14-2019, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man WC View Post
Prior to closing USI had fixed wooden fences at 50 and 100yds on the rifle side. The cardboard backed target you received at the range house after paying slipped into the fence. Simple, inexpensive, and easy to replace.
-g
I suppose they'll keep things the same as before; that's how things generally go anyway (assuming the same people running things).
Old 07-14-2019, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
I suppose they'll keep things the same as before; that's how things generally go anyway (assuming the same people running things).
It should be noted that the multi-purpose range presently uses movable target stands and there are no 50 yard berms in the new rifle range. It is my understanding that there will be target flexibility and I do not expect it to be as before. However, I am not an authority on this matter.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
Old 07-15-2019, 8:32 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowking View Post
Yes that was what I was thinking, not sure what Swagman00 is going on about but I guess he didn't realize I was responding to how the targets would be set up for different distances.
TBH I started that reply thinking about the stands then I went back on shift. Four hours later I reviewed the pictures and continued on something totally unrelated...

Anyway, one thing I keep thinking about are those wood trusses. I think something stronger like steel beams which Livermore does have would have been better. There's a few holes in the corregated steel roof panels there where careless people popped off rounds upward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie zombie View Post
and you guys wonder why women are fed up with bad behavior?!
Old 07-15-2019, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTROKS View Post
I wonder if wood beams and metal plates will be installed forward and above the shooting line?

Yes they will be ... no blue sky will be seen from any station to prevent the dimwits who cannot adjust their scopes or those who cannot aim to shoot above the berm or the hill ..

A few weeks ago one of those with an AR was shooting totally over the berm at Richmond and he just kept shooting without even knowing where his bullets went... I wish they gave an IQ test before they allow somebody to have a firearm

Anyways, here is another progress photos from this weekend.. .Things are really coming along nicely .. When it's finished this fall we will most likely have the nicest range in the Bay Area

Old 07-15-2019, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swagman00 View Post

Anyway, one thing I keep thinking about are those wood trusses. I think something stronger like steel beams which Livermore does have would have been better. There's a few holes in the corregated steel roof panels there where careless people popped off rounds upward.
Steel trusses are better for sure .. However, they are significantly more costly... From what was communicated at the club meetings, construction budget was already very tight and construction costs are high ...

Some of the actual work was done by volunteer members to save on costs and allow the range to be built .. The team is doing an amazing job saving costs and managing the job to deliver members and the public the best value for the money.

Most likely, steel trusses would not have been possible given how costly the project already is... From my understanding, every value engineering option was used to allow this range to be rebuilt.

I do not think many will look up to notice steel or wood trusses or mind when they have shade over their head or protection from the rain in the winter

Last edited by Tothemax; 07-15-2019 at 8:56 PM..
Old 07-15-2019, 9:37 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tothemax View Post
Steel trusses are better for sure .. However, they are significantly more costly... From what was communicated at the club meetings, construction budget was already very tight and construction costs are high ...

Some of the actual work was done by volunteer members to save on costs and allow the range to be built .. The team is doing an amazing job saving costs and managing the job to deliver members and the public the best value for the money.

Most likely, steel trusses would not have been possible given how costly the project already is... From my understanding, every value engineering option was used to allow this range to be rebuilt.

I do not think many will look up to notice steel or wood trusses or mind when they have shade over their head or protection from the rain in the winter
Bare minimum or not all...wow...didn't know.

I would have understandably done the same. You can always cross the bridge for retrofits later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tothemax View Post
Anyways, here is another progress photos from this weekend.. .Things are really coming along nicely .. When it's finished this fall we will most likely have the nicest range in the Bay Area

Judging by the size maybe the largest too. I'm jealous of the paved strip compared to the gravel at Livermore R&P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie zombie View Post
and you guys wonder why women are fed up with bad behavior?!

Last edited by Swagman00; 07-15-2019 at 9:42 PM..
Old 07-16-2019, 12:19 AM
Still in The Game
CGN Contributor

Prepare for fees to double after this rebuild
Old 07-16-2019, 11:54 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPimping View Post
Prepare for fees to double after this rebuild
What is the alternative? Not shooting at USI at all?

I'll gladly pay extra at USI to drive 15 minutes to the range in stead of 1 hour to Yolo (still no 100y last I checked) or about 2 hours to Sac Valley.

I only need 100y for zeroing.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyxcom View Post
What is the alternative? Not shooting at USI at all?

I'll gladly pay extra at USI to drive 15 minutes to the range in stead of 1 hour to Yolo (still no 100y last I checked) or about 2 hours to Sac Valley.

I only need 100y for zeroing.
Don't mind big perm he's got a company shooting spot you know he shoots with the "man".
Even thought I could go shooting on over a million+ private company land in 2 different states I still hope for USI to open up soon. LOL

Last edited by jtv3062; 07-16-2019 at 12:31 PM..
Old 07-16-2019, 11:12 PM

Serious question... The location of the structures being built and setup look similar to what was torn down in 2014. Wasn't the reason it was torn down was because of possible fliers going over the hill? What exactly is being done to address that with this new design?

The progress looks good so far. I use to live on the other side of the hill less than 2 minutes away. Shot at the rifle and pistol range only a couple of times in 2014 before they closed. And a handful of times for trap and skeet. No longer my local range, but I'll be sure to visit once they open.
Old 07-17-2019, 9:39 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3xX View Post
Serious question... The location of the structures being built and setup look similar to what was torn down in 2014. Wasn't the reason it was torn down was because of possible fliers going over the hill? What exactly is being done to address that with this new design?

The progress looks good so far. I use to live on the other side of the hill less than 2 minutes away. Shot at the rifle and pistol range only a couple of times in 2014 before they closed. And a handful of times for trap and skeet. No longer my local range, but I'll be sure to visit once they open.
Forward roof overhang to limit the 'sky view' and steel sheathing to prevent shooting through the roof.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 07-19-2019, 6:18 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Most of the recent posts regarding Livermore have been moved to their own thread, http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1547055

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 08-08-2019, 10:29 AM

Went to usi on Sunday to grab some .22lr
Looks like they had dug the holes for what I assume are the uprights that will hold the baffles.

Old 08-16-2019, 1:39 PM
Veteran Member

Looks like the "headers" baffles are going up on the pistol side first. Sorry no pics

Old 08-16-2019, 5:48 PM

Yep. Saw that this evening. Also, it looks like they are prepping the foundation for the range shack and the gutters have been installed on the canopies. Also saw the prototype shooting bench.
Old 08-17-2019, 9:48 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Any knowledgeable estimate time back to operational status?
Just beware of the thorns...
K. Meine
Old 08-17-2019, 9:05 PM

Last I heard was end of October or beginning of November. It seems they are on track but I am not fully "knowledgeable" as to the logistics and finances. If there is no problem there I think it is on track by end of year.
Old 08-17-2019, 9:27 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinnerk View Post
Last I heard was end of October or beginning of November. It seems they are on track but I am not fully "knowledgeable" as to the logistics and finances. If there is no problem there I think it is on track by end of year.
Super! I can’t wait.

Thank you for the info.
K. Meine
Old 08-18-2019, 7:19 AM

They should be open fall 2016......wait
Old 08-20-2019, 6:05 PM

They need to open asap.
That way they can iron out the bugs before spring hits.
Plus, there are lots of die hard dudes that go rain or shine.

Old 08-20-2019, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt1372 View Post
Makes no sense to open at the start of the rainy season.

Make sure everything is in place, get it right and open in the spring. 6 more months after 4+ years ain't going to matter but it will matter if the operation is FUBAR when they finally reopen.
Waiting any longer would be silly. That place was, and will be, busy all year long, winter included! Sooooooo looking forward to having a range open 5 minutes away again instead of driving an hour each way 👍👍👍
Old 08-21-2019, 12:32 AM

I'll shoot rain or shine.raining days are less crowded.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Aint nothing wrong with shooting in the rain especially if your paper is under a ricochet cover. And it doesn't rain every day around here.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Make sure everything is in place, get it right and open in the spring. 6 more months after 4+ years ain't going to matter but it will matter if the operation is FUBAR when they finally reopen.
A site this size needs to close out by october I suspect. They are probably being forced to maintain a SWPPP which would require regular reporting during the rainy season. If they took it slow, they would probably end up paying out an additional 20k for stormwater reports.
For you to believe globalization can continue, you have to believe it doesn't require increased consumption and that the Americans will continue to bleed and die so that the Chinese can access energy. - Peter Zeihan
Old 08-22-2019, 5:21 AM

I know Chabot was year round as well as Yolo and Sac Valley. I actually can't think of any non-public agency range that closes during our "rainy" season. Can you?

This always was, and hopefully will be again, a year round range. +1 to all of the winter is the best time to shoot and it's not that bad comments.
Old 08-22-2019, 7:44 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

Rainy season? This is California, that area only gets an average of 57 days of any type of rain a year and even at that the total rainfall is only about 16 inches a year.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups
Old 08-22-2019, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezekiel2000 View Post
I know Chabot was year round as well as Yolo and Sac Valley. I actually can't think of any non-public agency range that closes during our "rainy" season. Can you?

This always was, and hopefully will be again, a year round range. +1 to all of the winter is the best time to shoot and it's not that bad comments.
I know for a fact that Livermore closes while it was actively raining but that was before the close down 20 years ago?

Around 97 I bought the Mossberg 9200a1 jungle gun and so badly wanted to shoot it that I hung around the range waiting for a break in the "drizzle" to be able to let off a few shells.

Last edited by jtv3062; 08-22-2019 at 11:14 AM..
Old 08-22-2019, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I'm not saying that USI shouldn't be open year round, just that the opening delayed long enough to make sure sh*t gets done right.

Personally, I never shoot outdoors when it's raining but to each his/her own. I gather there are practical reasons (contract/$) for wanting to open it ASAP and a lot of pent up demand from prior users/members to just get the d*mn thing reopened.

I get that but I've been getting along fine for 4+ years w/o USI and to me a few more months won't matter BUT I'm always on the "wrong" (or unpopular) side of the issues. So, why should this be any different.

LOL!
Basically....its more expensive to have an open building permit like they have during the rainy season because of required stormwater / erosion practices.
For you to believe globalization can continue, you have to believe it doesn't require increased consumption and that the Americans will continue to bleed and die so that the Chinese can access energy. - Peter Zeihan
Old 08-22-2019, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagemann View Post
They need to open asap.
That way they can iron out the bugs before spring hits.
Plus, there are lots of die hard dudes that go rain or shine.

I like this idea.

Old 08-22-2019, 11:24 AM
In Memoriam

What's the differance if it's raining or not? The old public rifle/pistol and the MP range were all covered.
-g
Old 08-22-2019, 11:49 AM
Calguns Addict

I’ve shot in the rain in the past. Put on my big boy pants. No biggie.

I don’t get the big deal. I know Livermore doesn’t close in the rain anymore.

Besides, it’s not like we get monsoon season or anything. Just let the place open for crying out loud. All the whining about it being closed for so long and now people don’t want it to open unless it’s nice out?!?!?! What the heck is wrong with people? If it opens, it opens. Great! Let those that want to shoot in the rain, shoot. If you don’t want to shoot in the rain, stay home, drink your hot cocoa and knit.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 08-22-2019, 12:24 PM
I need a LIFE!!

All you need for shooting in the rain are good waterproof wet/mud trail shoes and a gortex jacket. Good old Wrangle pants will do. Open the range already! Please! Pretty Please! With cherries on top!
K. Meine