Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 05-12-2019, 7:09 PM
Veteran Member

Default Burris xtrii thoughts?

Probably should have asked before I committed.
Rifle is psa ar10 18.5 barrel.
So how good is the burris xtr? 5x25x50 was only 700. With the 34 mm tube.
Thoughts?

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk
Old 05-14-2019, 8:11 PM

Been looking at same scope, reviews look pretty good... been trying to decide between that one the vortex pst gen 2... great deal on that Burris though...
Old 05-15-2019, 6:32 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maht_g View Post
Been looking at same scope, reviews look pretty good... been trying to decide between that one the vortex pst gen 2... great deal on that Burris though...
Crap and I see zeiss has a scope in the price point. I should have got the zeiss

Old 05-15-2019, 12:29 PM

Looks like the 1200$ Zeiss is second focal plane, FYI...
Old 05-15-2019, 1:33 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Looks like the 1200$ Zeiss is second focal plane, FYI...
Good to know. Also I found out the zeiss is made in Asia! What? With Asian made glass.
So I guess Burris ftw?

Old 05-15-2019, 3:00 PM

I looked for where they were made in, couldn’t find it. I think Burris is Philippines... might be 6/half a dozen
Old 05-15-2019, 3:06 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I looked for where they were made in, couldn’t find it. I think Burris is Philippines... might be 6/half a dozen
Yes burris is made in the Philippine s. Not sure if thays a good or bad thing?
I had the same scope on another rifle. Seemed to do its job. I'm not a hunter or operator just punch paper and steel.
I sold off that rifle and needed optics for a new build. After combing the internet i kept seeing the xtr as a good choice.
I looked at swvt, vortex, and Nikon amd for the price settled on another Burris.
I hear burris cs isn't the best. But hope i never need the warranty.

Old 05-15-2019, 3:18 PM

I’ve heard they have a great warranty, no questions asked, forever. Haven’t read anything on CS either way, hope it’s not common to need it...
Old 05-15-2019, 3:59 PM

Quote:
I’ve heard they have a great warranty, no questions asked, forever. Haven’t read anything on CS either way, hope it’s not common to need it...
From experience, I can say that Burris has an excellent warranty and good customer service.

Unfortunately, I’ve had the chance to experience their good customer service 5 times with my two Burris scopes. My friends have had the same results.

Blurris….

Maybe their newer stuff is better.
Old 05-15-2019, 4:03 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brush Guard View Post
From experience, I can say that Burris has an excellent warranty and good customer service.

Unfortunately, I’ve had the chance to experience their good customer service 5 times with my two Burris scopes. My friends have had the same results.

Blurris….

Maybe their newer stuff is better.
Rhu rho. Thats not good.

Old 05-15-2019, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkonrai View Post
Rhu rho. Thats not good.

No worries. The newer stuff might be better and if it fails, send it in for warranty work, then sell it after it’s repaired.

But for me, it’s the frustration of wasted ammo and range time working through the issues.

Gas, time, range fees, ammo, etc. Wasted effort in load development. Do it all over again.

Edit: I’m sure many have had good luck with Burris.

The AR10 might be kind of hard on the Burris.

My MP10 beat up my Burris 4x16 three times in less than 1.5 years. Not sure if it was the recoil or the heavy bolt slamming home.
The scope is now on a 24” heavy target .223. I’m hoping it will last longer on that rifle.

Last edited by Brush Guard; 05-15-2019 at 4:18 PM.. Reason: add stuff
Old 05-15-2019, 4:37 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
No worries. The newer stuff might be better and if it fails, send it in for warranty work, then sell it after it’s repaired.

But for me, it’s the frustration of wasted ammo and range time working through the issues.

Gas, time, range fees, ammo, etc. Wasted effort in load development. Do it all over again.

Edit: I’m sure many have had good luck with Burris.

The AR10 might be kind of hard on the Burris.

My MP10 beat up my Burris 4x16 three times in less than 1.5 years. Not sure if it was the recoil or the heavy bolt slamming home.
The scope is now on a 24” heavy target .223. I’m hoping it will last longer on that rifle.
My previous ar10 was a JP with the same scope. Factory mounted at jp. Had it for 2 years and it held zero. Maybe 500 rounds or so.
Now I have a cheap psa. Hmmm will see how this goes. Psa is not a soft ahooter vs the jp

Old 05-15-2019, 5:21 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have several XTR2’s (2-10, 3-15, and 4-20) on various rifles. They’re robust, hold zero and track well. No complaints there. The glass is more than adequate for its price point. Complaints have been the glass isn’t bright enough, but my experience has been the opposite. With the impending release of the XTR3 you’re going to find blow out deals on XTR2 stock.
Old 05-15-2019, 5:40 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftinG Z32 View Post
I have several XTR2’s (2-10, 3-15, and 4-20) on various rifles. They’re robust, hold zero and track well. No complaints there. The glass is more than adequate for its price point. Complaints have been the glass isn’t bright enough, but my experience has been the opposite. With the impending release of the XTR3 you’re going to find blow out deals on XTR2 stock.
Wow should I have waited?

Old 05-15-2019, 5:59 PM

I found it for 685 delivered, getting close to biting the bullet on it... where’d you get yours Dino?
Old 05-15-2019, 6:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I found it for 685 delivered, getting close to biting the bullet on it... where’d you get yours Dino?
Optics planet. 701. Shipped with tax. Fde digital camo
Aero precision mount 34mm off eBay 53.00.

Old 05-15-2019, 6:07 PM

That’s the one I’m looking at too. How would I find out what ring height I need on a 20moa base?
Old 05-15-2019, 6:10 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
That’s the one I’m looking at too. How would I find out what ring height I need on a 20moa base?
I just guessed... Lol. Hoping it will fit. Last mount was American defense qd but I'm too broke to finance that. Aero for 53.00 seemed a better financial decision.
One of my range buddies likes his aero stuff. For 53.00 it was worth a chance? I should have everything by the weekend. Will post pics when the mount and scope come in.
Wish I had the lower....

Old 05-15-2019, 6:37 PM

This is my opinion, and I do own a Burris XTR 2 5x25 which sits on my RPR 6.5 creed. This scope is designed more for bolt action precision. AR10 pattern rifles are not precision rifles. You are better getting a tactical scope with visible hold overs such as an ACSS type reticle. If its .308 it only adds to the precision problem. I'd buy the scope for a future bolt action rifle but get a battle rifle variable scope.
Old 05-15-2019, 6:47 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Gun View Post
This is my opinion, and I do own a Burris XTR 2 5x25 which sits on my RPR 6.5 creed. This scope is designed more for bolt action precision. AR10 pattern rifles are not precision rifles. You are better getting a tactical scope with visible hold overs such as an ACSS type reticle. If its .308 it only adds to the precision problem. I'd buy the scope for a future bolt action rifle but get a battle rifle variable scope.
Suggestions? Curious why jp would sell these mounted on the ar10?

Old 05-15-2019, 8:16 PM

Can’t help you there, I’m looking for glass to put on a savage .338...
Old 05-15-2019, 9:10 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Reticle choice will be up to your preference and the type of shooting you’ll be doing. The XTR2 line does offer LPVO’s (1-6 and 1-8) with basic BDC reticles. And they also offer a 4-20 with the Christmas tree Horus H59 reticle.
Old 05-16-2019, 7:26 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkonrai View Post
Suggestions? Curious why jp would sell these mounted on the ar10?

High end AR10s have been known to shoot very decent groups like .5 moa. Most peeps would be happy having a Burris XTR on them, but the purist would spend spend as much as the rifle cost.

I’ve been shopping for a mid end type scope like Burris XTR. The adjustments are solid reliable and repeatable, but most of the reviews give glass clarity to Vortex PST II and Nikon Black FX1000. Then there’s the Sightron also. It seems the Zeis have them beat in glass clarity, but a similar 30mm model cost a lot more unless you bump down to the 1” tube.
Just beware of the thorns...
K. Meine

Last edited by JTROKS; 05-16-2019 at 7:29 AM..
Old 05-16-2019, 8:24 AM

And spending as much for glass as you spent on the rifle is such a stupid trope to perpetuate. A .308 AR is really a 400 to maybe 500yd weapon. Spend 300 on a 4x14 ACSS reticle and set it and forget it. You are going to be frustrated when you are trying to hit a 10" gong at 4 or 500 yds and aren't consistantly hitting it with the Precision Scope.

Semi Autos are really meant for close range. And then you will blame the scope on not being right, or not holding zero or whatever. Yes the Burris will do exactly what it's supposed to do, magnify your target, zero, and work most of the time at range, have tactile clicks and a zero stop. Problem is, it's more scope then you need. .308, as a round is terrible for distance. Semi auto is absolutely terrible for precision which is what a higher end scope is made for.

That's a cheap price I'll give you that, I paid 1k for mine at the time and it was on sale. But you could spend half the $700 and get all you need. Get a second focal plane scope, set it and use the reticle only. Dont forget with .308 you are only looking at like 15 MOA or 4.5 Mils at 600yds. You think you will ever actually use the 40 more MOA adjustment. 1k yards with a semi auto is a fruitless endeavour for any kind of consistancy, its FEET of spread at that range.

DK, get whatever you want though, it's a great scope, you shouldn't be disappointed with the purchase. Worst case is you have a scope to transfer to a precision rifle if/when you get one.
Old 05-16-2019, 8:51 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
And spending as much for glass as you spent on the rifle is such a stupid trope to perpetuate. A .308 AR is really a 400 to maybe 500yd weapon. Spend 300 on a 4x14 ACSS reticle and set it and forget it. You are going to be frustrated when you are trying to hit a 10" gong at 4 or 500 yds and aren't consistantly hitting it with the Precision Scope.

Semi Autos are really meant for close range. And then you will blame the scope on not being right, or not holding zero or whatever. Yes the Burris will do exactly what it's supposed to do, magnify your target, zero, and work most of the time at range, have tactile clicks and a zero stop. Problem is, it's more scope then you need. .308, as a round is terrible for distance. Semi auto is absolutely terrible for precision which is what a higher end scope is made for.

That's a cheap price I'll give you that, I paid 1k for mine at the time and it was on sale. But you could spend half the $700 and get all you need. Get a second focal plane scope, set it and use the reticle only. Dont forget with .308 you are only looking at like 15 MOA or 4.5 Mils at 600yds. You think you will ever actually use the 40 more MOA adjustment. 1k yards with a semi auto is a fruitless endeavour for any kind of consistancy, its FEET of spread at that range.

DK, get whatever you want though, it's a great scope, you shouldn't be disappointed with the purchase. Worst case is you have a scope to transfer to a precision rifle if/when you get one.
And where were you a week ago? Lol. Dang it I could have gotten by in the 300 price point? Argh...

When I looked for a new optic for the new build, thought of a simple 4 or 6 x. No variable just straight 4 or 6 x 50. Seems most if not all in the price point had some one whinning about turrents or glass quality and eye relief.
And so... 300 led to 400, ... And 700 didn't seem horrible overly priced. If worse comes to worse maybe I will swap out the Leupold on my 300wm.
And yes the optic was more than the platform. I have other 223s and 1x6 and red dots are fine. Just hard past 100.

Old 05-16-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:

I’m consistently hitting less than 8” at 500 yards with the MP10 and the razor 1x6.

Hitting 8 out of 10 rounds on a 30X24 rectangle steel at 750 yards, in a moderate breeze.

All holdovers, never dialing.

My buddies, shooting their custom build M1A’s are doing much better. They kicked my butt.

The higher end AR 10’s like the LMT must be doing even better.

I would not hesitate to put good glass on a nice .308 semi.

You done good, OP. 5x25 may be more than you need but extra magnification is still nice for target identification and precise reticle positioning.

Full speed ahead.

Pew.

Last edited by Brush Guard; 05-16-2019 at 11:32 AM..
Old 05-16-2019, 11:50 AM

im guessing you got the mil reticle right? Thoughts on it vs the moa reticle?
Old 05-16-2019, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Yes I got the mil. I cannot answer that question I researched a bit and didn't really look into it hard. For my use, I will give the mil a try.
Btw
Yes I saw the viper pts on sale. And was considering the vortex. Time will tell?

Old 05-16-2019, 12:24 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I’m consistently hitting less than 8” at 500 yards with the MP10 and the razor 1x6.

Hitting 8 out of 10 rounds on a 30X24 rectangle steel at 750 yards, in a moderate breeze.

All holdovers, never dialing.

My buddies, shooting their custom build M1A’s are doing much better. They kicked my butt.

The higher end AR 10’s like the LMT must be doing even better.

I would not hesitate to put good glass on a nice .308 semi.

You done good, OP. 5x25 may be more than you need but extra magnification is still nice for target identification and precise reticle positioning.

Full speed ahead.

Pew.

Thanks buddy. At 5x the field of view is pretty nice. The ar that have 1x6, do a good job but they have smallish 1 inch tubes. Yes cheap primary or vortex but they do work. A bit hard for precision grouping at 100.
My pos ar10 is NOT the Jp I sold. But hope its at least 2 or 1.5 moa out of the box? Dont tease me, psa 18 inch upper/lower. I got a great deal from a member here. Worse case I can swap out for a nice faxxon barrel.

Old 05-16-2019, 8:17 PM

Just bought the same scope, time will tell...
Old 05-16-2019, 10:01 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Just bought the same scope, time will tell...
You passed on the viper too?

Old 05-17-2019, 5:13 AM

Yep, read and watched a lot of reviews, and most seemed to think the Burris was a better scope. I hope they’re right!
Old 05-17-2019, 6:43 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Yep, read and watched a lot of reviews, and most seemed to think the Burris was a better scope. I hope they’re right!
Same here. Time will tell.

Old 05-17-2019, 5:52 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Good video on mil vs moa
https://youtu.be/hloT3vmJ7Qw

Old 05-18-2019, 5:48 AM

Thanks Dino, I’ve been reading a few articles about them. I not worried about making it work. Looking forward to getting it on the gun and trying it
Old 05-25-2019, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member

Scope came in. Ordered on a Sunday. Arrived in four days! Wow optics planet caught me off guard fast shipping.
Overall I like it. May need to get a extended mount vs the one mounted. Hard to tell until pew pew pew time. Wish the winds would die down a bit so I can take her out for a test drive.