Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

View Poll Results: What are your feelings about Front Sight?
Great Training for Beginners Only. 76 8.13%
Great Training Beginner and Advanced. 630 67.38%
The Quality of Training is Going Down Hill. 20 2.14%
I paid too much for my Membership! 44 4.71%
They will go out of business this year! 22 2.35%
Don't want anything to do with them! 143 15.29%
Voters: 935. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-09-2019, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad4mnc View Post
Thank you very much for this. I have been all over their site but did not find this. I seem to have a little trouble navigating their site.

If I am reading this correctly I do not see any reason my Shadow 2 can not be used?
Old 04-09-2019, 8:05 PM

Default Front Sight Members Check In Here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldveteran View Post
Thank you very much for this. I have been all over their site but did not find this. I seem to have a little trouble navigating their site.

If I am reading this correctly I do not see any reason my Shadow 2 can not be used?

Seems that way. I’d print it and take it with you. Bring a back up. There used to be a print out of a rectangle. If your gun fit inside, it was too small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Front Sight Commander member.
NRA Life Member
Old 04-09-2019, 8:23 PM

As I understand it, the problem is the Shadow 2 can be run cocked and locked and with no decocker, the trigger pull falls under the 4 lb mark because it'll be in SA mode at that point.
They won't let you run a gun with that light of a trigger.
Old 04-09-2019, 8:29 PM

My HK Expert has a ~3lb SA. I never had an issue running it cocked and locked.

Front Sight Commander member.
NRA Life Member
Old 04-09-2019, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad4mnc View Post
Seems that way. I’d print it and take it with you. Bring a back up. There used to be a print out of a rectangle. If your gun fit inside, it was too small.

I did print it

I will let y'all know how it went when I get back around 5/6 or so...
Old 04-09-2019, 8:55 PM

often times it comes down to the Instructor.
some will be a little more lenient then others but if it's too low they'll take it to get tested.

good luck old veteran but be prepared to switch to a back up if needed.
Old 04-09-2019, 9:34 PM
Veteran Member

Default Marksman rifle citique

Just completed the Rifle Marksman course yesterday. Definitely worth attending. Had Mark Iverson for a range master. Very good range master. The pace of the class is much slower than other Front Sight courses but in a good way. I would highly recommend doing this course before Practical Rifle as this is about accuracy. Some recommendations if you choose to take the course.

Caliber - .223 is OK as long as you can shoot 69grn and up. Not worth shooting 55 grn due to wind out there.

.224 Valkarie, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5 Creedmore, and 308 are better.

Know your dopes or have a rough idea out to 350. 50 or 25 yard zero works well for this course. Write down your dope. Can be referenced on the test.

Rifle - Don't bring a heavy rifle. You will suffer off hand at 35 and 50. You may have trouble at 75 & 100 due to not being able to use a rest. Under 10 lbs is a good weight.
Shoot your rifle before you go!. More than 500 rounds. Saw guys fight extraction issues and ejection issues because they didn't try their gear before they went.

Scope - 4x power and up is good. Can be done with a 3x9 but higher magnification is a plus. Just want the lower magnification at 35 and 50. I was able to do it with 6.5x but it sucked. Make sure your stock fit well and the scope height is right! Have a scope with reference marks as it helps for elevation and windage. This course is all hold over rather than dialing your scope in. Have a level. Helps a lot for the longer distances.

Sling - Have a good sling with strong mounts. Watched a 4K+ rifle bounce off the ground. There was a collective ouch by all. Practice with your sling getting into position.

Bi-pod - Have one with feet that will dig into the dirt. Personally I shot off my backpack and had no issues. Actually I liked it better and left the bi-pods off the rifle.

No shooting mats are allowed. Have knee and elbow pads for the gravel. Bring some goggles for real windy days.
Center to center on the large targets is 12". Center target to side target is 7".

0 - 2 down is DG
3-4 down is Graduate
5 or more is Certificate.
Only 18 shots for the final.

Lastly, don't be married to your set up. Be willing to make some changes such as sling position, body position, stock set up, etc.

Planning on making a few minor changes and then trying the class again soon. I learned a lot!

Last edited by damon1272; 04-09-2019 at 9:51 PM..
Old 04-09-2019, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi54 View Post
often times it comes down to the Instructor.
some will be a little more lenient then others but if it's too low they'll take it to get tested.

good luck old veteran but be prepared to switch to a back up if needed.
Thank you sir, will do...
Old 04-11-2019, 10:12 PM

Quick question to those that can assist. A member currently has a Patriot membership given to him by his brother. He now wants a higher membership. I had offered to give him a Commander membership as an upgrade for free but when I tried to transfer it to him, the system indicates that a membership can only be transferred to "non-members." Is there anything that can be done to assist him or is he simply out of luck regarding my giving him a membership for free?
Old 04-12-2019, 4:22 AM

He has to setup a new account. He can then give/sell his old account to someone else. If he has other things in his account, he can call FS and explain he accidentally set up 2 accounts and they will transfer the items to the higher acct.
Old 04-12-2019, 5:40 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by damon1272 View Post
Just completed the Rifle Marksman course yesterday. Definitely worth attending. Had Mark Iverson for a range master. Very good range master. The pace of the class is much slower than other Front Sight courses but in a good way. I would highly recommend doing this course before Practical Rifle as this is about accuracy. Some recommendations if you choose to take the course.

Caliber - .223 is OK as long as you can shoot 69grn and up. Not worth shooting 55 grn due to wind out there.

Know your dopes or have a rough idea out to 350. 50 or 25 yard zero works well for this course. Write down your dope. Can be referenced on the test.

Rifle - Don't bring a heavy rifle. You will suffer off hand at 35 and 50. You may have trouble at 75 & 100 due to not being able to use a rest. Under 10 lbs is a good weight.
Shoot your rifle before you go!. More than 500 rounds. Saw guys fight extraction issues and ejection issues because they didn't try their gear before they went.

Scope - 4x power and up is good. Can be done with a 3x9 but higher magnification is a plus. Just want the lower magnification at 35 and 50. I was able to do it with 6.5x but it sucked. Make sure your stock fit well and the scope height is right! Have a scope with reference marks as it helps for elevation and windage. This course is all hold over rather than dialing your scope in. Have a level. Helps a lot for the longer distances.

Sling - Have a good sling with strong mounts. Watched a 4K+ rifle bounce off the ground. There was a collective ouch by all. Practice with your sling getting into position.

Bi-pod - Have one with feet that will dig into the dirt. Personally I shot off my backpack and had no issues. Actually I liked it better and left the bi-pods off the rifle.

No shooting mats are allowed. Have knee and elbow pads for the gravel. Bring some goggles for real windy days.
Center to center on the large targets is 12". Center target to side target is 7".

0 - 2 down is DG
3-4 down is Graduate

Lastly, don't be married to your set up. Be willing to make some changes such as sling position, body position, stock set up, etc.

Planning on making a few minor changes and then trying the class again soon. I learned a lot!
Nice write-up.

PM me for information on low-priced Front Sight Memberships!
Old 04-12-2019, 8:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobowh View Post
He has to setup a new account. He can then give/sell his old account to someone else. If he has other things in his account, he can call FS and explain he accidentally set up 2 accounts and they will transfer the items to the higher acct.
Thank you for the response. I just forwarded the message to the Calgunner directly!
Old 04-12-2019, 9:48 AM

[QUOTE=poppa p;22890237]Quick question to those that can assist. A member currently has a Patriot membership given to him by his brother. He now wants a higher membership. I had offered to give him a Commander membership as an upgrade for free but when I tried to transfer it to him, the system indicates that a membership can only be transferred to "non-members." Is there anything that can be done to assist him or is he simply out of luck regarding my giving him a membership for free?[/QUOTE
I had the same issue transferring a Legacy membership to my nephew to upgrade to Commander. The Patriot member has to cancel his membership by calling in to Front Sight, then you transfer him a new membership.
Old 04-13-2019, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damon1272 View Post

0 - 2 down is DG
3-4 down is Graduate

Great writeup. Thank you! I will be taking the course in three weeks. What is the distance you zero the rifles in on during the class. I thought, from previous write-ups it was 100 yards?
Old 04-14-2019, 9:00 AM
Veteran Member

They give you a choice. I zeroed at 50 with 223. Worked ok. A 25 zero would have worked better. I would not zero at 100. 50 puts you near zero at 200 or so. 25 would get you to 300ish.
Old 04-14-2019, 1:00 PM

Can anyone answer this?

WTF is going on with the resort status? He's been saying it for yearssssssssss and no building to be found
and
WTF is the Front Sight Credits? I finally logged into my Front Sight acct after several years, and found few thousand Front Sight Credits

“Old breed? New breed? There's not a damn bit of difference so long as it's the Marine breed.” — Lt. Gen. “Chesty” Puller

“A ship without Marines is no ship of war at all.” — Adm.David Dixon Porter, U.S. Navy, 1864
Old 04-14-2019, 1:14 PM
Veteran Member

The resort site is currently being graded and wet utilities are being installed. Welcome center site was grade with underground utilities installed.

Any credits you had are converted to patriot points and you could cash in your memberships too. Supposedly to put everyone on an equal footing as far as value for future buy in.

Personally don't care about the expansion, hotel, or anything else. I car about shooting and getting into classes. To each his own.
Old 04-14-2019, 1:48 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamAllen View Post
Great writeup. Thank you! I will be taking the course in three weeks. What is the distance you zero the rifles in on during the class. I thought, from previous write-ups it was 100 yards?
This is the calculator I used.http://www.shooterscalculator.com/ba...tory-chart.php

Worked pretty well. You can put in a bunch of variables. The elevation for front sight is 2465 approximately.
Old 04-14-2019, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamAllen View Post
When I took the course a few weeks ago they let you choose the distance you wanted to zero at. So, we took time to zero at 50, 100, 150, and I think 200 yards also. I zero'd at 100 so while shooting at the other distances I was able to use those firing sequences to calculate my bullet drop.
Old 04-14-2019, 5:40 PM

Thanks to both of you for your input. It helps a lot trying to prep. I will check out the calculator.

I was referring to Million ants post #10371 on page 260 about the 100 yard zero.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ostcount=10371
Old 04-15-2019, 3:18 AM

Day 1, here we come!
Temps should be nice this week but sounds like we've got wind coming in.

Anyone else on property?
Old 04-15-2019, 5:59 AM

What class are you taking?
Old 04-15-2019, 4:25 PM

I'm on a 4 Day HG range
Old 04-20-2019, 7:16 PM

Anyone know if shoot house and last day challenges are part of private DFHG curriculum? I have some relatives going next week and hoping to provide answers. Also, can you DG out of a private class?

PM me for your FrontSight needs.

WTB: Sig 220 Legion
Old 04-20-2019, 7:20 PM

Yes you can DG in a Private. Any test you would take in a normal class can be done in Private up to and including the Master Prep test.

As for shoot houses, I would imagine it would depend on what they have available.
Old 04-21-2019, 11:08 AM

did the EMS training this past week and thought they did an excellent job delivering some good material.
This isn't your basic First Aid / CPR type training, in fact that stuff isn't even covered as this is geared more towards dealing with actual trauma victims and major injuries.
sucking chest wounds, compound fractures, head trauma, etc.

Overall good training and there's a nice pdf you get as a quick guide that you can keep later and similar to the normal FS classes, you can go back and take the class as many times as you want once you've paid for it. (they are going to shut that part off eventually once they've trained a certain number of students but for now the offer is good)

I've got my vehicle trauma kit all sorted out the way I want, hoping to never need to use it but if I do, I'm more prepared than I was before the class.

oh, and for those of you who might have any quick clot powder stuff lying around the house or in a first aid kit, THROW IT OUT. While it can help in an emergency, after the quick clot does it's thing, it'll need to be carved out of the victim at the hospital. The impregnated bandages are the better route to go.
Old 04-22-2019, 6:56 AM

I took the EMS class back in Dec. It is a good one. As far as the quick clot goes, for the vehicle kit sure throw it out. If you are going to be deep woods camping etc use it instead of the impregnated bandage, as you move with the bandage they move-slip over time and the wound can reopen where the other works better in this sit. so each has it's place. yes there is more cutting to remove it, but it could make the difference in making it out.
Old 04-22-2019, 1:45 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Although you can DG in a private class it may not satisfy the requirements of the prerequisites for follow-on courses.
Old 04-22-2019, 7:25 PM

It does fulfill the requirements to move on.
Old 04-23-2019, 5:16 PM

Hi Guys -

With THG/ATHG just a few weeks away - would like to check on what recommendations you have with "tactical" pants that have built-in knee pads and/or a pocket for pads? I do have some knee/elbow pads; but either they keep falling off and/or moving around. And I find it a bit uncomfortable at the back of the knee because of the strap. Wanting to try out those built into the pants.

Aside from that, a colleague of mine wants to get some of my memberships. I would believe that I (as in me) would have to pay for the transfer fee, right? Also, I know that the background check can be paid with Iggy bucks; was wondering if I can use my Iggy bucks to pay for my colleagues' background checks?

While we're on it - are Iggy bucks transferrable to another member?

Thanks in advanced!!!

PS: Since my family won't be coming with me this time, I will be staying at the Holiday Inn instead of Wine Ridge.

_
Old 04-23-2019, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodralig View Post
With THG/ATHG just a few weeks away - would like to check on what recommendations you have with "tactical" pants that have built-in knee pads and/or a pocket for pads? I do have some knee/elbow pads; but either they keep falling off and/or moving around. And I find it a bit uncomfortable at the back of the knee because of the strap. Wanting to try out those built into the pants.
The built-in ones work well, but if you use them a fair bit and are hard on them the fabric starts to tear. I prefer standard knee pads for training because I'm cheap. That said, you can go as hard or not as you want. I didn't need elbow pads for THG/ATHG. Gloves were nice for ground stuff but not necessary.
Old 04-23-2019, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodralig View Post
Hi Guys -

Aside from that, a colleague of mine wants to get some of my memberships. I would believe that I (as in me) would have to pay for the transfer fee, right? Also, I know that the background check can be paid with Iggy bucks; was wondering if I can use my Iggy bucks to pay for my colleagues' background checks?

While we're on it - are Iggy bucks transferrable to another member?

Thanks in advanced!!!

PS: Since my family won't be coming with me this time, I will be staying at the Holiday Inn instead of Wine Ridge.

_

I like the Tru-Spec 24/7 pants. Tons of pockets. Elasticized waist but still button/zip in front is nice. Reasonable price so wearing the fabric with the built in knee pads isn’t a bank breaker. Got a few pairs on Amazon for mid $30s.

Old 04-23-2019, 5:55 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi54 View Post
It does fulfill the requirements to move on.
This is the information I was provided as part of the membership:

"Attending a private session wil not, however, satisfy the pre-requisite attendance requirement for our standard courses. For instance, attending a Advanced Tactical Handgun in a private will not meet the pre-requisite for Handgun Combat Master Prep."

Old 04-23-2019, 6:09 PM

Has anyone seen Uplula 9mm loaders in the pro shop lately?

Old 04-23-2019, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAShooter View Post
This is the information I was provided as part of the membership:

"Attending a private session wil not, however, satisfy the pre-requisite attendance requirement for our standard courses. For instance, attending a Advanced Tactical Handgun in a private will not meet the pre-requisite for Handgun Combat Master Prep."

Does a DG in a private count if you’ve already attended the four day class?

Old 04-23-2019, 6:23 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nszzya View Post
Does a DG in a private count if you’ve already attended the four day class?

I think so. I think that is what it is saying. You may have to satisfy attending a four day class AND DG'ing the test. So read pre-requisites carefully or just take private classes.

Otherwise, I guess you could do a private and pass the skills test without getting the entire course material that a regular class would provide.

Last edited by AAShooter; 04-23-2019 at 6:28 PM..
Old 04-23-2019, 6:44 PM

Why don't y'all just call FS and ask, maybe someone there will know for sure
Old 04-23-2019, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldveteran View Post
Why don't y'all just call FS and ask, maybe someone there will know for sure

Why do that when we can surmise and assume?

Old 04-23-2019, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nszzya View Post
Has anyone seen Uplula 9mm loaders in the pro shop lately?

Nope, in there today, no mag loaders

PM me for your FrontSight needs.

WTB: Sig 220 Legion
Old 04-24-2019, 11:36 PM

What is the farthest distance one will be shooting at the 4 day defensive handgun class?