Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

View Poll Results: What are your feelings about Front Sight?
Great Training for Beginners Only. 76 8.13%
Great Training Beginner and Advanced. 630 67.38%
The Quality of Training is Going Down Hill. 20 2.14%
I paid too much for my Membership! 44 4.71%
They will go out of business this year! 22 2.35%
Don't want anything to do with them! 143 15.29%
Voters: 935. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-06-2019, 7:39 PM
Veteran Member

I’m here now. They will talk to you about placing you orders the first morning at orientation. You can order lunch and if you are staying for the EMS and order a second lunch for dinner that will be supplied in the evening. Cost was about the same as before $12 IIRC.
Old 04-06-2019, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate View Post
Hi All,

I was wondering what the actual current food situation is onsite at FS?

Their web page is WAY behind, saying that they will have a web ordering page up by Feb.

Are the only options today still to call in an order 2 weeks before, or bring your own cooler?

Thanks!

Kate

We were there last week and brought our own this time. They will announce about ordering lunch in the Day 1 orientation or you can call FS. Lunches are through Mom’s Cafe in Pahrump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Front Sight Commander member.
NRA Life Member
Old 04-07-2019, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad4mnc View Post
We were there last week and brought our own this time. They will announce about ordering lunch in the Day 1 orientation or you can call FS. Lunches are through Mom’s Cafe in Pahrump.

Did you see them? Do they look OK? Or did you talk with anyone about the quality?

It's not really vacation if I have to make meals too...

Kate
Old 04-07-2019, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate View Post
Did you see them? Do they look OK? Or did you talk with anyone about the quality?

It's not really vacation if I have to make meals too...

Kate

I did not see the lunches but we did eat dinner there one night. It was fantastic.

NRA Life Member
Old 04-07-2019, 6:34 PM

heading back out next week.
anyone else going to be there?
Old 04-07-2019, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCU1670 View Post
If Patriot Points covert to percentage of FS ownership when handed over to members, as the original offer stated. And everyone's points are converted as a percent of the total 100% ownership, OR 49% if Piazza keeps 51%, then the more points you double or quadruple to, it just shoots yourself in the foot as everyone else is doing it too. Because it's still devided into 100% , or 49% available.

That’s my worry with Iggy. I don’t ever think he will ever give over ownership of FS in any regards to members. Even in death the program will go to his daughter. I support FS and even made a few trade-ins but keep a large majority of my memberships due to being skeptical that anything will actually be built and have no plans of being able to have a percentage of stake in FS regardless of what the marketing says.

Unfortunately I still remember each email that said “XXXX” membership will be the highest membership to exist only to have another higher membership come out shortly thereafter. In any regards I will see what happens but feel that getting rid of all of my memberships is the worst thing to I can do even though credits or Patronage Points now seem to be worthless already.

Old 04-08-2019, 7:09 AM
Calguns Addict

I’d still prefer bringing my own food way more than ordering the $12.50 sandwiches. I bought it once and it was disappointing.

Now we have these insulated bags we bought at Pahrump Walmart. We stuff frozen water bottles in them as ice that can be consumed as it melts. We fly into Vegas so no room for a cooler for us. Don’t cook, plenty of restaurants in Pahrump, just have to buy the night before.

Once we forgot our lunch at the WineRidge. We hauled donkeys back to town and fetched the food, ate while driving back, and still made it back in time LOL.

The wife will be pissed, but Jesus always forgives.
Old 04-08-2019, 6:00 PM

I am considering the 4 day defensive handgun and really do not want to go through 268 pages in this thread. So if someone would break down what to expect and what I need to do to prepare for this I would appreciate it? Thanks...
Old 04-08-2019, 6:28 PM

4 day Handgun is the best class to start with.
Go with an open mind, be ready to learn and enjoy the course!
They'll cover everything from basic safety procedures on day one to engaging multiple targets from concealment by day 4.

Have you been shooting long? Any experience? If so, great but be prepared to possibly having to untrain some old habits.
New to shooting? Great they'll teach you everything you need to know.
Somewhere in between? Awesome, you'll learn stuff and have fun
Old 04-08-2019, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi54 View Post
4 day Handgun is the best class to start with.
Go with an open mind, be ready to learn and enjoy the course!
They'll cover everything from basic safety procedures on day one to engaging multiple targets from concealment by day 4.

Have you been shooting long? Any experience? If so, great but be prepared to possibly having to untrain some old habits.
New to shooting? Great they'll teach you everything you need to know.
Somewhere in between? Awesome, you'll learn stuff and have fun
Thank you sir.

I've only been shooting for one year now and I am old 77 so probably not the quickest to learn at this point.

I taken the CCW class in CA and five tactical type shooting class at this point.

I am really enjoying shooting just wish I would have got into this earlier in life instead of falling off of my motorcycles all the time...
Old 04-08-2019, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldveteran View Post
Thank you sir.

I've only been shooting for one year now and I am old 77 so probably not the quickest to learn at this point.

I taken the CCW class in CA and five tactical type shooting class at this point.

I am really enjoying shooting just wish I would have got into this earlier in life instead of falling off of my motorcycles all the time...
I advise you to consider the weather when you go. At your age you tolerance to heat and cold are waning. I was there in February when we had morning temps in the 20’s, I’ve been there in September when range temps were in excess of 110 degrees. You know yourself better than anyone so really take this to heart. I’m 62 and this last class in February really tested my mettle.
Old 04-08-2019, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPSMike View Post
I advise you to consider the weather when you go. At your age you tolerance to heat and cold are waning. I was there in February when we had morning temps in the 20’s, I’ve been there in September when range temps were in excess of 110 degrees. You know yourself better than anyone so really take this to heart. I’m 62 and this last class in February really tested my mettle.
Thank you Mike.

I am thinking the last week of this month and did look at the long range forecast. High 70's to low 80's which I am ok with.

For sure my old body does not like the lows or highs you mentioned.
Old 04-08-2019, 9:06 PM

oldveteran, never too late to learn new stuff.
While not as experienced as you in the life department (age), I too wish I would have started shooting much sooner.

Usually the nicest weather at front sight is late march to early / mid may then it starts getting pretty toasty. Being out there in triple digits for 4 days can be quite challenging not just physically but mentally .
IF you go in the fall, October to early Nov can be quite nice but it's also a crap shoot. Gotta love that unpredictable desert weather.

Another thing that will make your experience more enjoyable is having the right gear.
I recommend a quality kydex holster, a sturdy gun belt, and two mag pouches (or a double pouch)
avoid the weird tilted ones that springfield loves to throw in with gun purchases.
I liken this to working on stuff around the house or in the garage: having the right tools makes all the difference in the world.

oh, and if you haven't bought one of those uplula loaders yet, I recommend it, it'll really save your thumbs from having to load 650+ rounds over the course of the class.

what pistol are you thinking of shooting?
Old 04-08-2019, 9:48 PM

Quote:
oldveteran, never too late to learn new stuff.
While not as experienced as you in the life department (age), I too wish I would have started shooting much sooner.

Usually the nicest weather at front sight is late march to early / mid may then it starts getting pretty toasty. Being out there in triple digits for 4 days can be quite challenging not just physically but mentally .
IF you go in the fall, October to early Nov can be quite nice but it's also a crap shoot. Gotta love that unpredictable desert weather.

Another thing that will make your experience more enjoyable is having the right gear.
I recommend a quality kydex holster, a sturdy gun belt, and two mag pouches (or a double pouch)
avoid the weird tilted ones that springfield loves to throw in with gun purchases.
I liken this to working on stuff around the house or in the garage: having the right tools makes all the difference in the world.

oh, and if you haven't bought one of those uplula loaders yet, I recommend it, it'll really save your thumbs from having to load 650+ rounds over the course of the class.

what pistol are you thinking of shooting?
I do have a good Blue Alpha belt and a Blade Tech holster, 4 mag holsters and a uplula loader.

I have a S&W Shield 9mm, my EDC is a Sig Sauer P365 but will be Shooting my CZ Shadow 2.

Thank's again for some good info...
Old 04-09-2019, 2:48 AM

OldVet - you will have the time of your life!!! More fun than riding - well almost. Took an 80 year old out in Oct and he is ready for another Oct trip with our Florida group this year. Stay hydrated and if you get tried sit under cover for awhile - nothing to prove at out age. Brands aids for the thumb and fingers may help don't want any blisters etc. Its the only time I use shooting gloves which works out well.
Go with and open mind like the others have said and don't expect to remember it all.....Have a Blasts!!!!!!
Old 04-09-2019, 5:49 AM

Quote:
I do have a good Blue Alpha belt and a Blade Tech holster, 4 mag holsters and a uplula loader.

I have a S&W Shield 9mm, my EDC is a Sig Sauer P365 but will be Shooting my CZ Shadow 2.

Thank's again for some good info...
I shoot a CZ Shadow 2 for USPSA competitions. Mine has a 6 1/2lb double action trigger pull and 2 1/2lb single action. It's been a couple years since I've been to Front Sight. I believe you’ll have a problem getting through inspection with the 2 1/2lb single action. I believe they still require 4 1/2lb.
Old 04-09-2019, 6:37 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

I have a S&W Shield 9mm, my EDC is a Sig Sauer P365 but will be Shooting my CZ Shadow 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by macinsac View Post
I shoot a CZ Shadow 2 for USPSA competitions. Mine has a 6 1/2lb double action trigger pull and 2 1/2lb single action. It's been a couple years since I've been to Front Sight. I believe you’ll have a problem getting through inspection with the 2 1/2lb single action. I believe they still require 4 1/2lb.
Oldveteran, macinsac is right. Bring a backup gun as it is likely they’ll disqualify your Shadow 2, since even stock form, the single action trigger weight is less than 4 lbs. I too have been shooting the S2, but I bring a stock CZ SP-01 to pass weapons inspection It fits into a Bladetech S2 holster just fine, BTW.

Yeah, right. “Any gun will do if you will do” (but you must use our rental Glock17)

Old 04-09-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1834 View Post
OldVet - you will have the time of your life!!! More fun than riding - well almost. Took an 80 year old out in Oct and he is ready for another Oct trip with our Florida group this year. Stay hydrated and if you get tried sit under cover for awhile - nothing to prove at out age. Brands aids for the thumb and fingers may help don't want any blisters etc. Its the only time I use shooting gloves which works out well.
Go with and open mind like the others have said and don't expect to remember it all.....Have a Blasts!!!!!!
Thank you sir. It does sound like fun for sure.
Old 04-09-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macinsac View Post
Hopefully not.

The way I read the equipment instructions it said "nothing less than a 4 pounds (for a double action (DA) pistols this refers to the initial trigger press when the pistol is decocked".

I will call to make sure.
Old 04-09-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanz2 View Post
Oldveteran, macinsac is right. Bring a backup gun as it is likely they’ll disqualify your Shadow 2, since even stock form, the single action trigger weight is less than 4 lbs. I too have been shooting the S2, but I bring a stock CZ SP-01 to pass weapons inspection It fits into a Bladetech S2 holster just fine, BTW.

Yeah, right. “Any gun will do if you will do” (but you must use our rental Glock17)

I need to call for sure...
Old 04-09-2019, 1:05 PM

Does anyone know if an SBR is allowed in Practical Rifle? I don't see anything that would preclude it.
Old 04-09-2019, 1:31 PM

Trigger Pull..

Okay I just spoke with Michelle at FS and she thought as long as the DA was more than 4.5 pounds it is good to go.

So I ask to speak to someone there that actually inspected the guns and got a head instructor. He ask if it was a DA/SA and if so all that is required is the DA pull exceed 4.5 pounds.
Old 04-09-2019, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nszzya View Post
Does anyone know if an SBR is allowed in Practical Rifle? I don't see anything that would preclude it.
Yes, they’re allowed (suppressors too). I always have my Form 1 with me but have never been asked to show it.

NO pistol braces though!
Old 04-09-2019, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Trigger Pull..

Okay I just spoke with Michelle at FS and she thought as long as the DA was more than 4.5 pounds it is good to go.

So I ask to speak to someone there that actually inspected the guns and got a head instructor. He ask if it was a DA/SA and if so all that is required is the DA pull exceed 4.5 pounds.
You still might get a different interpretation once you get to inspection...

A Shadow 2 is a DA/SA gun, but it doesn't have a decocker so I think they would have you run it like a 1911 which would be cocked-n-locked (hammer back, safety on, over a chambered round) In other words, no manually dropping the hammer.

I think the closest we'll get to a reliable answer is maybe Jedi. Jedi, your thoughts?
Old 04-09-2019, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mej16489 View Post
You still might get a different interpretation once you get to inspection...

A Shadow 2 is a DA/SA gun, but it doesn't have a decocker so I think they would have you run it like a 1911 which would be cocked-n-locked (hammer back, safety on, over a chambered round) In other words, no manually dropping the hammer.

I think the closest we'll get to a reliable answer is maybe Jedi. Jedi, your thoughts?
If it is not allowed I will just to use my Shield or Sig P365. Would prefer to shoot the shadow 2 though.
Old 04-09-2019, 2:29 PM

Quote:
If it is not allowed I will just to use my Shield or Sig P365. Would prefer to shoot the shadow 2 though.
Front Sight also has a policy against small guns for the first class. Both of those might be rejected too.
Old 04-09-2019, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mej16489 View Post
Front Sight also has a policy against small guns for the first class. Both of those might be rejected too.
So they will force me to rent a gun LOL...
Old 04-09-2019, 3:46 PM

Never fear, Jedi is here!
Old Veteran, in my experience you should be fine as long as the DA pull is over 4 lbs but I'll get the official answer for you next week as I'm back at FS and can ask one of the Range Masters
Old 04-09-2019, 3:47 PM

Quote:
So they will force me to rent a gun LOL...
That policy is designed for pocket pistols or the old belt buckle novelty gun.
Smith & Wesson Shield and your P365 are 100% good to go!
Old 04-09-2019, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelciocc View Post
Yes, they’re allowed (suppressors too). I always have my Form 1 with me but have never been asked to show it.

NO pistol braces though!
So, this wouldn't be allowed?

Old 04-09-2019, 4:18 PM

Quote:
That policy is designed for pocket pistols or the old belt buckle novelty gun.
Smith & Wesson Shield and your P365 are 100% good to go!
Great thank you sir.
Old 04-09-2019, 4:29 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Never fear, Jedi is here!
Old Veteran, in my experience you should be fine as long as the DA pull is over 4 lbs but I'll get the official answer for you next week as I'm back at FS and can ask one of the Range Masters
In January they disqualified my Shadow 2. They never bothered testing the DA pull, just the SA pull.

So the stock SP-01 came out, qualified me, and went back in the gun case

Quote:
I have been shooting a 14.5" AK in PR. Nobody said anything.

But if I were to bring this SBR, they may say something:

I'll bring it to a HG class one of these days with the stock folded and see what they say.

Old 04-09-2019, 4:34 PM

After further consideration: Official ruling is the Shadow 2 won't pass weapons inspection.
Sorry old Vet.
Do you have another full size pistol you can take? Your shield and 365 will work fine but 4 days is a long time to shoot a snappy little sub compact.
Old 04-09-2019, 4:37 PM

Quote:
After further consideration: Official ruling is the Shadow 2 won't pass weapons inspection.
Sorry old Vet.
Do you have another full size pistol you can take? Your shield and 365 will work fine but 4 days is a long time to shoot a snappy little sub compact.
Shucks... no other full size pistol so I have to go with the shield or the Sig
Old 04-09-2019, 4:51 PM

No worries those are both great guns, lots of students out there shooting them every week.
Even though those are ccw guns I still recommend a good OWB kydex holster
Old 04-09-2019, 4:53 PM

Quote:
No worries those are both great guns, lots of students out there shooting them every week.
Even though those are ccw guns I still recommend a good OWB kydex holster
That I have.

Thanks again for everyone's help.
Old 04-09-2019, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Shucks... no other full size pistol so I have to go with the shield or the Sig

Just me but I’d shoot the Sig. The Shield will get old thumbing 650 rounds into it.
Look at it this way, you get some really great practice with a CCW pistol.
I took the 4DDH with my daughter last weekend. This time I brought an EDC gun instead of my “ringer” gun. I’m glad I did.

NRA Life Member
Old 04-09-2019, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad4mnc View Post
Just me but I’d shoot the Sig. The Shield will get old thumbing 650 rounds into it.
Look at it this way, you get some really great practice with a CCW pistol.
I took the 4DDH with my daughter last weekend. This time I brought an EDC gun instead of my “ringer” gun. I’m glad I did.

I will probably take both of them maybe alternate. I have 3000 rounds through the Sig and almost 500 and one day, so I'm fairly used to it.
Old 04-09-2019, 5:30 PM

Quote:
So, this wouldn't be allowed?

Depends...if it’s a legal Short Barreled Rifle then, yes. If it’s a pistol with a brace, no.
Old 04-09-2019, 6:48 PM

Quote:
I will probably take both of them maybe alternate. I have 3000 rounds through the Sig and almost 500 and one day, so I'm fairly used to it.

https://www.frontsight.com/firearms-...g/handguns.asp

NRA Life Member