Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Holsters, Equipment and Accessories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Holsters, Equipment and Accessories Questions, answers and discussions regarding equipment specific to concealed carry.

Old 04-03-2019, 11:36 PM
Veteran Member

Default Going back to full size

Fortunately being a larger guy carrying a full size pistol is neither uncomfortable, nor hard to conceal, but as many of my clients have Shields and I was only giving up 1 round the slimmer package had become my go to most of the time. However I have had the chance to test the Holosun 507C on my full size M&P to see if we should carry them in the store. With the return of standard capacity magazines along with the addition I am rocking the M&P with the 507c and liking it.

So the question is how many of us are going back to carrying the guns with higher standard capacity and or rocking a red dot for CCW.

I haven't given up on the Shield, have a 507c, Outerimpact combination we are going to test as well, but it's nice to have more.
Old 04-05-2019, 9:22 AM

I went a different route. I'm not a large guy, so I went with a P365 w/ 12+1 capacity and a Shield Sights compact red dot. We all have our preferences, but I think it's one tight little package. My Shield will be placed on the safe shelf.
Old 04-05-2019, 1:44 PM
Calguns Addict

I never left carrying a standard capacity gun. I thought long and hard about it. The sub compacts are certainly nice to carry. But with all the shenanigans going on in the world these days, a sub compact with neutered mag capacity is just not the gun I want to bet my life on. YMMV.

Fighter Pilot
Old 04-05-2019, 2:26 PM
Calguns Addict

I tried to like the Shield. Even changed to Apex trigger and Hogue grip and while 100% reliable and super accurate, it still hurt my hand while shooting.
Tested the EMP and think I may eventually get that one or may even go full size.

Last edited by vintagearms; 04-05-2019 at 3:00 PM..
Old 04-05-2019, 2:28 PM

My go to the last 3 1/2 years, 99% of the time has been my shield. As of Saturday, I have now been carrying a clock with 15 rnds.
Old 04-05-2019, 6:49 PM
Veteran Member

I like my Shield, and I carry a 9 round mag with one in the pipe and usually a spare mag if not two. The Shield became more of my standard carry because so many clients were carrying the gun, and often would not bring it to the gun show, or the store and having mine made it easy to clear it and use it as a surrogate. It shoots well and after some tips from Jerry Miculek well at SHOT Show I really grew to like it. However my M&P .40 is my favorite gun and has been for years.

More is better, and time in scenario's using simunitions bring home the preference have as many rounds as possible on tap. For me which gun I carry may well come down to which car I am driving. I can carry the Shield much easier in my Corvette than the full size. Driving my Sedan or Van and the full size .40 is very comfortable. Carry technique with the Holosun 507c or the RMR Trijicon is the same. My .40 S&W gives me 16+1. Will be testing if the palm swell from the 2.0 is an upgrade or makes the gun harder to carry concealed shortly.

Shot the Optic in a steel match last night and it's amazing how much faster transition is, along with accuracy. Using the optic to rack the weapon also makes failure drills much simpler.
Old 04-05-2019, 6:58 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

Since the Million Mag March I have ONLY carried the G19. Not problem concealing it at 4:30 and I'm 6'2" and 210.

Buy made in USA whenever possible.
Old 04-11-2019, 6:42 AM
Calguns Addict

I bought some A&G mag spacers for my G29 and now carry a G20 mag for it. I'm flip flopping between a G29 and G20 spare mag though.
Old 04-11-2019, 7:54 AM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnWnMe View Post
I bought some A&G mag spacers for my G29 and now carry a G20 mag for it. I'm flip flopping between a G29 and G20 spare mag though.
A full G20 mag is not light. Are you carrying it in the pocket or in the holster?

I was going to add my G29 to my CCW but it lost out at the range to a commander size 1911... That 29 is stout with a 2 finger grip, I need to go back to the range with it now that I have the Pearce extension.

Buy made in USA whenever possible.
Old 04-11-2019, 8:17 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post
A full G20 mag is not light. Are you carrying it in the pocket or in the holster?

I was going to add my G29 to my CCW but it lost out at the range to a commander size 1911... That 29 is stout with a 2 finger grip, I need to go back to the range with it now that I have the Pearce extension.

I carry in my pockets and the guns are AIWB no holster.

Pearce pinky rests make the G29 really practical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-14-2019, 8:47 PM

Now that I have 17 rd mags for my USP 45, I'm putting it into the carry mix more often than before...
Old 04-14-2019, 8:56 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnWnMe View Post
I bought Xgrip adapters for G21 mags and occasionally rocking them in the G30S. No need to put my G21 on permit. But if I only had single stacks on my permit, yes I’d be looking hard at adding a double stack gun that I owned large cap mags for.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 04-15-2019 at 9:16 AM..
Old 04-15-2019, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantar2 View Post
Fortunately being a larger guy carrying a full size pistol is neither uncomfortable, nor hard to conceal, []

So the question is how many of us are going back to carrying the guns with higher standard capacity and or rocking a red dot for CCW.

I haven't given up on the Shield, have a 507c, Outerimpact combination we are going to test as well, but it's nice to have more.
A family member just got an HK USP 40, the full size, and would appreciate any IWB suggestions you care to make. He dresses in business casual most of the time. In cooler weather he could get away with OWB, but summer in his area is warmer than LA/OC.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal m1 shooter View Post
A family member just got an HK USP 40, the full size, and would appreciate any IWB suggestions you care to make. He dresses in business casual most of the time. In cooler weather he could get away with OWB, but summer in his area is warmer than LA/OC.
I guess what I would like to know are his preferences, where on the body does he want to carry the weapon, AIWB, 3:30-4 (unless of course he is left handed) Does he want to carry one or two spare mags. Obviously the system has to be tuckable.

What holsters does he have experience with, is there something he wants to improve on vs. what he has had (if any). I don't want to give a knee jerk reaction and say buy my stuff.

Does he plan to carry a weapons mounted light? Optic sighting system. I will PM you my number, feel free to pass it on, more than happy to have a conversation.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantar2 View Post
I guess what I would like to know are his preferences, where on the body does he want to carry the weapon, AIWB, 3:30-4 (unless of course he is left handed) Does he want to carry one or two spare mags. Obviously the system has to be tuckable.

What holsters does he have experience with, is there something he wants to improve on vs. what he has had (if any). I don't want to give a knee jerk reaction and say buy my stuff.

Does he plan to carry a weapons mounted light? Optic sighting system. I will PM you my number, feel free to pass it on, more than happy to have a conversation.
He is left-handed, and so far has bought a Vedder Light Tuck, and may opt to carry one spare magazine. AIWB might be possible, but my guess would be at 7:30-8:30 somewhere.

Appreciate the PM. I did pass along your information.

I do not believe he will bother with a light or an optic.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member

socal m2 shooter, sounds good. My guess is if he is unhappy with the Vedder it is mostly likely because they don't cover the serrations and sights which allow both to dig into the body. The safety can bite as well. There is a bandaid fix for that if he wants to keep the Vedder that works well called Holster Partner it's a custom sized leather backing. Hopefully he can send me more details on the issues he is facing.
Old 05-21-2019, 7:42 PM
Veteran Member

With the Holosun 507C and the standard capacity 16 round mags for my S&W .40S&W full size M&P I find I am carrying it more often than my 9mm Shield. The optic has significantly improved my hits in practice and competition.

I added a new backstrap from S&W designed for the 2.0 and it's better than any aftermarket stippling job I have ever handled, and better than the Skateboard tape grips. I do feel it against my side when carrying but it's not uncomfortable despite the level of aggressiveness.