Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 03-12-2019, 7:46 AM
Calguns Addict

Default Post retirement jobs for LEO

What are some of the popular post retirement jobs for LEO?
Old 03-12-2019, 8:29 AM
Veteran Member

1. Contract Federal court security.

2. Here in the LA Area, just about all of the cops working at the Burbank airport are retired from local agencies.
Old 03-12-2019, 9:31 AM

Funeral motorcade, UC/CSU campus police

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Old 03-12-2019, 11:37 AM

Solano SO hires retired peace officers as Sheriff's Security Officer's and hourly deputy Sheriffs to staff the courts.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:52 AM
Calguns Addict

Walmart greeter/security. But, do you want to do the same thing and deal with the same idiots you dealt with for the last 20-30 years? If you do it doesn't make sense to retire and take a pay cut. A friend went to work for the IRS chasing down deadbeats and finding property they were hiding. He was able to get .gov to pay for travel doing investigations - he paid for the wife to come along and they had some nice vacations on our $$.
Old 03-12-2019, 1:48 PM

The sky is the limit. You spent a career being a chameleon, spend a second doing it again with something different.
Old 03-13-2019, 6:25 AM

Make your next career out of an interest. Doesn't really matter if it's directly LE related. We got guys that went to work for LEAs in different retirement systems, teach, start a small business, work for a non-profit, consult, sales to LEA...
Old 03-13-2019, 6:38 AM

I know of two retired cops who work as handymen for the elderly. Low stress and still doing good work for people who are in need.

Brett
Certified Polygraph Examiner. I provide services for Criminal and Civil Litigation, Private Businesses, Law Enforcement/Fire Pre-Employment screening, Fidelity Concerns, and other types of Family Disputes.

http://ToThePointPolygraph.com
Old 03-13-2019, 9:05 PM

Many guys I know work as personal body guard for celebrities. My old patrol friend house sits for a billionaire. My brother retired from the county service and was picked up by the CA DOJ.
Old 03-14-2019, 3:58 PM

I took a job working summers in a boat unit.
Old 03-14-2019, 5:31 PM

Become a flight instructor and work for a community college. Both of my instructors are retired police officers.
Old 03-14-2019, 6:21 PM

If you have an expertise, like traffic accident investigation, gangs, narcotics or any other expertise that court has the list for, you can send in your CV or resume. A panel of judges will evaluate it, and once they are satisfied, you will be on the list and lawyers will call.
Old 03-14-2019, 7:40 PM

I have a friend that did 20 years with LAPD and went to work as LACO DA investigator. He's got almost 20 years at that.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:09 PM

I would not recommend becoming a certificated high school teacher. Our educational bureaucracy is not designed for students' success. It's designed to self-perpetuate and transfer $$$ from taxpayers to school districts.

I wasted 10 years in a that worthless bureaucracy.

I'm more convinced that vouchers are necessary.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap3572001 View Post
What are some of the popular post retirement jobs for LEO?
I would suggest deckhand on a fishing boat.
Old 03-15-2019, 1:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Che762x39 View Post
I would suggest deckhand on a fishing boat.
Good idea, maybe I could finally find out if I will ever stop getting at least a little queasy on fishing boats!
Stay classy, CGF and Calguns.
Old 03-15-2019, 1:40 PM

I teach at two local police academies. Love it! Giving back, less stressful, and the money is good.
Old 03-15-2019, 5:19 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1NM View Post
But, do you want to do the same thing and deal with the same idiots you dealt with for the last 20-30 years? If you do it doesn't make sense to retire and take a pay cut.
I know a lot of people who retire out of PERS when they max out and hire on with another agency that has a different retirement system. They effectively "double dip" that way so yes it can make financial sense.
Old 03-24-2019, 6:57 AM
Veteran Member

No offense, but my buddies and I go round and round saying that working AFTER retirement is for chumps. . Retire and stay retired is my advise. One’s retirement plus a wise investment strategy with years of deferred comp should easily allow one to never have to work again.

While I’m traveling abroad with the Misses, or exploring North America in an RV, or just fishing in the Sierras, or camping with the grandkids, I’ll be thinking of my buddies that feel they have a compulsion to work again after retirement.

We only live once and after retirement, it’s time to start living life to its fullest and not living life for the boss or an alarm clock again.

Fire that employer and get a life, get a hobby, get a travel itinerary, ...but DONT get a job again.

Winning.

It`s funny to me to see how angry an atheist is over a God they don`t believe in.` -Jack Hibbs

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 03-24-2019, 10:09 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Wink

Annoying your wife?
Old 03-24-2019, 11:20 AM
Calguns Addict

As I have recently found out, not working or working very little is the way to go. Evidently the government thinks you can make too much money, and they like to take some. Of course not having nearly as many deduction's as I used to didn't help either.
Old 03-24-2019, 6:03 PM

No job for me. I was a Reserve for 7 years after I retired. Now I wander aimlessly at the beach every day with my wife.
Old 03-24-2019, 7:50 PM
Calguns Addict

I’m spending the summer teaching shooting sports (Rifle & Shotgun) at a Scout Camp this summer. It doesn’t pay much, but that’s not why I’m doing it. Additionally, meals and housing are provided. Chow at this camp isn’t too bad and I’m in the outdoors every day sending lead downrange. I’ve been active with the Scouts since the 90’s, and this has always been on my bucket list.

Also, it gets me two more quarters for social security and Medicare. I didn’t pay in for the 32 years I worked for LASD. I was 8 quarters short and to keep my current healthcare, I need to qualify for Medicare. I knocked out two quarters as a seasonal package pusher for Amazon in December and January, and had a fun time doing it. I met a lot of great people too.

I’m just knocking out fun stuff.

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DOJ Certified Instructor

Last edited by Ron-Solo; 03-24-2019 at 7:59 PM..
Old 03-24-2019, 8:06 PM
Veteran Member

I'm unfortunately retired much sooner than I would have liked/was planning due to OJI's... not working is not in the cards for me as a) I am already going crazy and b) health insurance takes a nasty chunk out of my medical retirement. Once I have hit the eject button and safely re-settled in friendlier territory I will be looking for a "fun" gig.
Stay classy, CGF and Calguns.

Last edited by CBR_rider; 03-24-2019 at 11:21 PM..
Old 03-24-2019, 8:33 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The War Wagon View Post
Annoying your wife?
I hunt and fish she doesnt. It’s a win-win.

It`s funny to me to see how angry an atheist is over a God they don`t believe in.` -Jack Hibbs

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 03-24-2019, 8:34 PM

Definitely pick something low stress. My father, after 33 years, had no desire to do anything related to LE because he didn't need that pressured lifestyle anymore. He took up photography, then got a job as a hiking/photography tour guide in southern Utah, taking folks out all over Zion, Kanab area, Northern Az, etc. He has too many friends that have had heart attacks within the first five years after retirement.
Old 03-24-2019, 8:36 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron-Solo View Post
I’m spending the summer teaching shooting sports (Rifle & Shotgun) at a Scout Camp this summer. It doesn’t pay much, but that’s not why I’m doing it. Additionally, meals and housing are provided. Chow at this camp isn’t too bad and I’m in the outdoors every day sending lead downrange. I’ve been active with the Scouts since the 90’s, and this has always been on my bucket list.

Also, it gets me two more quarters for social security and Medicare. I didn’t pay in for the 32 years I worked for LASD. I was 8 quarters short and to keep my current healthcare, I need to qualify for Medicare. I knocked out two quarters as a seasonal package pusher for Amazon in December and January, and had a fun time doing it. I met a lot of great people too.

I’m just knocking out fun stuff.
Ron, working on a gun range.... that’s NOT work. It’s beer money to have fun! That’s what I’m talkimg about.

I was fortunate enough to own a business for several years while also employed with the dept. I got my 40 quarters so I’ll get my 75% reduced SS benefits too. It’s just extra ammo money coming in.

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 03-24-2019, 9:19 PM

Movie studios hire retired LEO for on site security
Old 03-24-2019, 9:54 PM
Calguns Addict

My son in law is a retired cop from CA, now works for the state of NV investigating mortgage loan fraud.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:41 PM

If you are retired why would you want to go back to work? Go fishing, ride your motorcycle etc., enjoy your retirement...
Old 03-25-2019, 8:31 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerparkTrash View Post
No offense, but my buddies and I go round and round saying that working AFTER retirement is for chumps. . Retire and stay retired is my advise. One’s retirement plus a wise investment strategy with years of deferred comp should easily allow one to never have to work again.

While I’m traveling abroad with the Misses, or exploring North America in an RV, or just fishing in the Sierras, or camping with the grandkids, I’ll be thinking of my buddies that feel they have a compulsion to work again after retirement.

We only live once and after retirement, it’s time to start living life to its fullest and not living life for the boss or an alarm clock again.

Fire that employer and get a life, get a hobby, get a travel itinerary, ...but DONT get a job again.

Winning.

Best answer ever.

Most cops I worked with should never retire or must work after retirement because they live a very extravagant life style.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:57 AM

Met many retired LEO's in the insurance claims business. They mostly worked as fraud investigators and it was a pretty easy gig for them. Money is good.
Old 03-26-2019, 9:48 PM

I work just enough to pay my property tax and house and auto insurance. That helps a lot.
Old 03-29-2019, 5:31 AM

ttt

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Bunyfofu69; 07-01-2021 at 10:25 AM..
Old 03-29-2019, 7:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR_rider View Post
Good idea, maybe I could finally find out if I will ever stop getting at least a little queasy on fishing boats!
Dude, I love offshore fishing. But I'm susceptible to turning green from seasickness. Ask your physician for this: https://www.drugs.com/cdi/scopolamin...mal-patch.html

Since I've been prescribed scopolamine, I've never had another run in with most miserable sea sickness, even on long range boats out of San Diego.

Deck hand is a young man's game. Those dude work hard all day. Please be sure to go deep when tipping them.

Last edited by EMP3; 03-29-2019 at 7:25 AM..
Old 03-29-2019, 7:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunyfofu69 View Post
Work computer forensics, few guys in my area retired the moment they were eligible. One left for Twitter the other to a private company.

Both are making out like bandits. They planned to work a few years and then cash out.

^^^Excellent advice^^^

Law enforcement agencies aggressively recruit college grads with computer science majors.

I knew a young woman in her early 30's (she was on the up side of good looking) who worked as a civilian in a local LE agency doing computer forensics. She had a masters in computer science. A guess: her salary was higher than sworn cops she for whom she was support personnel. She loved her job & had no desire to go sworn.

Last edited by EMP3; 03-29-2019 at 7:28 AM..
Old 03-29-2019, 7:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldveteran View Post
If you are retired why would you want to go back to work? Go fishing, ride your motorcycle etc., enjoy your retirement...

^^^Now that is the best advice yet^^^

But it's a wise idea to keep an iron in a fire.
Old 03-29-2019, 7:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMP3 View Post
^^^Excellent advice^^^

Law enforcement agencies aggressively recruit college grads with computer science majors.

I knew a young woman in her early 30's (she was on the up side of good looking) who worked as a civilian in a local LE agency doing computer forensics. She had a masters in computer science. A guess: her salary was higher than sworn cops she for whom she was support personnel. She loved her job & had no desire to go sworn.
Just to clarify there are many "needs" in the private sector related to cyber security. Some companies do actual cyber "hardening" of high net worth individuals.

There are even less "tech" and more business managers of cyber security. These positions act as the "go between" for the hardcore forensics types, and business executives. You don't need to know the nitty gritty 0101010101 math, but overall picture to relay to decision makers. (This is the sweet spot in my opinion.)

ISP's have legal departments, some retain ex-LEO's familiar with cyber related subpoenas, warrants and requests. Quasi-paralegal if you will.

SANS.org is the standard for certifications. Classes range from the Uber technical, to the business aspects. Many departments or agencies have a voucher program with SANS for training LEOs.

Old 03-29-2019, 9:03 AM

Working MLB or NFL investigations would be a dream job.

Giamatti's MLB investigators knew Pete Rose had a gambling "issue" before he summoned Rose to his office. MLB investigators had Rose signed, sealed, and delivered before he could get squared away with his bookie.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 003 View Post

2. Here in the LA Area, just about all of the cops working at the Burbank airport are retired from local agencies.
Here they are getting jacked up by a 1st Amendment auditor....