Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 03-14-2019, 10:19 AM
Veteran Member

Default Lures and "terminal tackle": tie at home or a-la-minute?

Let's say you wanted to have a generally-usable set of fishing equipment in the back of your RV... you're not sure exactly what fish you may go out for on any given day, so you'll want to keep the ability for a bait/lure at the bottom of the water, for something that floats at the top, for a sinking crankbait, etc.

Do you tend to pre-tie your tackle at home and use a quick-disconnect or some such, or do you keep the parts handy with you and tie everything on-site?

If the former, how do you store the tied lures without tangling everything up?
Old 03-14-2019, 10:43 AM
Calguns Addict

Never tie up tackle before you need it. It’s just potentially dangerous and also gets snagged on stuff. Keep tackle in a tackle box for organization purposes and disconnects such as snap swivels are unnecessary weak points in the tackle. Just tie your stuff up as it’s about to go in the water.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:15 AM

Old knots are prone to break.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:53 PM

For bait fishing for salmon, steelhead, tuna, etc. I tie leaders to hooks before hand.
I retie after each fish or hard snag so having hooks tied is a big plus in a hot bight on a pitching deck or rainy river bank.

Also learning to tie good knots is easier at home. Then when you have to tie in the field it will be second nature.

I use Mack's Lure Pip's Box.

Keep up the dedication, you'll get in to them.

Best
caveman
Old 03-14-2019, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member

For storing and traveling everything is best broken down completely.

The variety of knots and ways to rig is pretty much endless for the desire to do some specialty thing a little better in a certain circumstance.

You should master a few of the basics and move from there as you need.

Everyone has there preference and it really is just preference in a lot of situations.

"I" would recommend the "Palomar" for tying hook or snap etc. to line,

an "improved cinch knot" for tying line to lures since passing treble hooked lures though doesn't lend itself well to a Palomar and the "surgeons knot".

The surgeons knot is not really that good of a knot but it is the basis of a very versatile, basic, fast way of rigging terminal tackle.

Let me try to describe.

You take the running line as fed out through the guides of your fishing rod in hand.

At about "18 from the end of the line tie in a simple overhand knot.

Fold the very end of the line back onto the running line using 3-4 times the length of line from the single knot to the end of the line.
(this forms a big loop with a knot on one side of it)

Using both lines held together tie them using a surgeons knot.
(it's just 2 or 3 overhand knots)

Cut the loop you form doing this open so that you have a forked line with the short fork having a knot near the end of it.

This basic form can be used for anything from inflated night crawlers to a Steelhead or Salmon drift in fast water.

Tie your hook to the long end,
it is your running line and has no other knots between you and the fish.
(fishing rule of thumb:the less knots the better)

The short end is now "tied" to the running line,
you can crimp one or several split shot on ahead of the knot and they will break away should you get snagged but likely leave you with the hook/fish.

You can also slide egg sinkers on the short line first and crimp on the split shot to hold them on with the same sacrificial advantage.

In this way you can adjust the weight you are using and not be plagued by snags so much.

(fishing rule of thumb: use the least amount of weight you can get away with)

Pronouns: "Dude" and "Playa".

https://billstclair.com/Unintended-Consequences.pdf

I was born under a wandrin star.
Old 03-14-2019, 1:10 PM

Tie artificial bates direct. I always rig when getting ready to fish and not before. Knots should be fresh as should line. Feel the line with your fingers to see if it's nicked or frayed cut off if it is it's a weak place and will or could break when you get a good fish on. Retie your knots after catching a larger size fish. Check your hooks for sharp and sharpen them if they need it. Terminal tackle is just that you should expect to lose it if your fishing any structure and structure is what holds certain kinds of fish. Not knowing what kind of fish your after I cant tell much of that.
Old 03-14-2019, 1:18 PM

For emergency fishing situations, you can run the leader/mono through the guides and use a small end-loop somewhere back on the reel so that you don't have to thread the line through when the urgency arises. You can cut the loop and tie on your terminal gear of choice a little quicker.
Old 03-15-2019, 8:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhandmike View Post
Never tie up tackle before you need it. It’s just potentially dangerous and also gets snagged on stuff. Keep tackle in a tackle box for organization purposes and disconnects such as snap swivels are unnecessary weak points in the tackle. Just tie your stuff up as it’s about to go in the water.
Not to argue, but the exception to this for me is making up heavy leaders for things like grouper fishing or marlin/wahoo fishing where I'm using 100lb to 250 lb mono and crimping all the connections. Then I keep them spooled in little boxes like this:

https://smile.amazon.com/RIGRAP-Yell...dp/B00FPQT1PE/

I know BFG is talking about fresh water fishing, so this doesn't really apply, but I do find these RigRap boxes to be pretty handy for also holding things like crappie rigs or sabiki rigs that have a bunch of hooks.
Old 03-15-2019, 8:15 AM

Yes I pre-tie leaders the night before typically. I like to have several different presentations readily available...even if I'm using roe or sand shrimp it's nice to have another leader ready to go. The less time I spend tying knots is more time my line is wet and in front of fish. I use a pool noodle cut down to about a foot just set the hook in and wrap...to each their own but this works for me.
Old 03-15-2019, 8:17 AM
Veteran Member

The only time I pre-tie is on the 3 bait casters in the rack on my boat. They are tied to a 1/2 oz, 3/4 oz and a 1 oz leadhead (for swimbaits). I do this because I don't know what the current is going to be like (or if it changes) But for your application, no. I would tie at the time I know what I'm going for and what conditions I'll be in.. heck, your not going to use the same 4 lb mono you use for trout when you want to fish bass would you?.
Old 03-15-2019, 8:57 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmuller View Post
I use a pool noodle cut down to about a foot just set the hook in and wrap...
That's a great idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerman View Post
heck, your not going to use the same 4 lb mono you use for trout when you want to fish bass would you?.
(ashamedly looks at the single spool of 14lb line that I've used for everything so far.)

no, ha ha ha, of course not... only a total noob would do that...

(nailed it)
Old 03-15-2019, 9:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatGuy
That's a great idea!
It floats too

Seriously it really is all about what you're fishing and how. This is steelhead time for me and I like to hit a spot a few different ways depending on current/water condition. I also approach fishing a riffle different than fishing a deep holding pool...having the ability to quickly change setups is a bonus. The more time you spend where you fish the more you'll understand what works best for you in each situation. Good luck and tight lines!!
Old 03-15-2019, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member

I’m in the camp of tying fresh knots on the night before as well. The bite window can be very short. Nothing worse than getting up that early to be wasting limited minutes of prime time while tying up tackle.

Old knots are prone to breaking, however. So don’t be lazy. Tie up new ones the night before.
Old 03-15-2019, 3:23 PM

I like to have a few setups ready to go. As a previous poster said, you do t want to waste the best time tying knots. And to those old salts who might say just get faster at tying knots, that doesn’t help him right now.

I also have a phone app called Knots 3D which is really cool. Animations on how to tie them, what they’re used for, even some history for each knot. It’s really helpful.
Old 03-15-2019, 8:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbsyncro View Post
Not to argue, but the exception to this for me is making up heavy leaders for things like grouper fishing or marlin/wahoo fishing where I'm using 100lb to 250 lb mono and crimping all the connections. Then I keep them spooled in little boxes like this:

https://smile.amazon.com/RIGRAP-Yell...dp/B00FPQT1PE/

I know BFG is talking about fresh water fishing, so this doesn't really apply, but I do find these RigRap boxes to be pretty handy for also holding things like crappie rigs or sabiki rigs that have a bunch of hooks.
Totally agree, lol. Of course complicated offshore gear needs to be ready to rock. Now trout or catfish you got a minute.
Old 03-15-2019, 9:53 PM

Yall ready to have your life changed?

To travel with multiple rods pre tied with out getting all caught up with each other, you gotta do one simple trick:
Wrap the line around the rod blank.

Attach your hook or lure to your hook keep or lowest guide frame (not in the ring itself of course). Then, while holding your rod handle in your right hand, pull the line out a few inches with your left hand, kinda like a long bow, and then twist the rod handle with your right hand and guide the line between your guides as you release tension on the rod.

You might be concerned about the guide frames chafing your line, but I've been utilizing this method on my 3wt and 2lb trout setups, thru my jigsticks and offshore rods for years without any issues
Old 03-15-2019, 10:17 PM

When it comes to a trunk rod, for so cal you'll want an 6-8 lb setup, a pack each of size 2 and 4 hooks, a pack a swivels, and one of those little discs of various sized weights as your base setup. Then, depending on targeted species or preferred techniques, you can add specific lures or hooks etc.

Prepping tackle, imo, greatly depends on what you're fishing for. Off shore fishing: some rigs require tools and time to prep and storage. Fly fishing, I'll bring my fly tying gear to the creek. Unless there is a specific reason to prep ahead (my grandpa would tie up 4 trout rods ( a limits worth) in the warm comfort of his living room, so he wouldn't have to fuss with retying in the sub freezing temps) , I'd wait to see what conditions were like before tying up.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:11 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I tie up my salmon leaders before the season. I use a lot of Apexes so single hook at the lure and 5-6' of flouro leader. To store the leaders, I wrap them around my fingers, pinch an end and slip the bundle into a short piece of drinking straw.

I like those leader keepers posted above. Gonna give them a try for my mooching leaders and rock cod rigs.

For OP's situation, I'd prolly keep everything loose.

No Mas Hamas

#Blackolivesmatter
Old 03-16-2019, 12:45 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I mostly lake fish, and do a little of both.

I usually take 3 poles also.

One rigged for trout

One for catfish

And one to set up with whatever should circumstances dictate it.

Good luck.

Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!