Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > National 2nd Amend. Political & Legal Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

National 2nd Amend. Political & Legal Discussion Discuss national gun rights and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 02-12-2019, 9:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrabbit View Post
Knowing that the Roger's cert request attempts to argue for CCW, and argue that OC can be banned in favor thereof, why would SCOTUS take up Roger's?

And how would Roger's + NYSRP be comprehensive when SCOTUS in Heller v. DC already recognizes:

1. CCW may be prohibited.
2. OC is the right.
3. Right to travel.

So that brings up another "comprehensive" question:

Why would SCOTUS issue a comprehensive comprehensive decision?

=8-|
Sigh.

Sigh.

Not a single Circuit court has interpreted Heller/McDonald as establishing that OC is protected by 2A. Nor has a single Circuit interpreted Heller/McDonald as establishing the 2A protects the right to travel with a firearm.

These issues, therefore, are not established for any practical purpose. Some people, who actually believe in broad interpretations of civil liberties, want the Court to more clearly enunciate what rights the 2A protects so that the People can begin enjoying those rights with reduced fear of prosecution.

And now I've committed the cardinal sin of knowingly feeding the troll. May God forgive me.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:29 AM

Resist the
Old 02-12-2019, 10:45 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kukuforguns View Post
Sigh.

And now I've committed the cardinal sin of knowingly feeding the troll. May God forgive me.
God may forgive you, but we will not!
Old 02-12-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offwidth View Post
“SCOTUS doesn't get involved in minutiae and narrow issues of specific laws.”

They do. Such as MA stun gun ban.
Oh for the love of crackers, are you serious? I think you are trolling, but how does affirming that 2A applies to arms not conceived at the time of ratification somehow equal minutiae? It was unanimous per curiam by the way.
Old 02-12-2019, 1:27 PM

Not a single Circuit court has interpreted Heller/McDonald as establishing that OC is protected by 2A. Nor has a single Circuit interpreted Heller/McDonald as establishing the 2A protects the right to travel with a firearm.

Old 02-12-2019, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotron2k84 View Post
Oh for the love of crackers, are you serious? I think you are trolling, but how does affirming that 2A applies to arms not conceived at the time of ratification somehow equal minutiae? It was unanimous per curiam by the way.
In the exactly the same way as affirming the right to travel with one's firearm. A narrow issue of a specific law. Or you are unable to read complete sentences?
Old 02-12-2019, 1:34 PM

Quote:
In the exactly the same way as affirming the right to travel with one's firearm. A narrow issue of a specific law. Or you are unable to read complete sentences?
If you think both of those are "narrow" issues, no wonder you appear so confused in many of these threads. Expanding 2A and rights in general is the exact OPPOSITE of narrowness.
Old 02-12-2019, 2:38 PM
code Monkey
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Quote:

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/07pdf/07-290.pdf
http://www.guncite.com
Posting the opinion to Heller does not demonstrate that a circuit court has interpreted heller in any particular way. What point did you think you were making by posting that?
Old 02-12-2019, 2:53 PM

Round and round we go
Old 02-12-2019, 2:54 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
If you think both of those are "narrow" issues, no wonder you appear so confused in many of these threads. Expanding 2A and rights in general is the exact OPPOSITE of narrowness.
Spot on
Old 02-18-2019, 12:52 PM

New York City and NYSRPA have asked the Court to set a briefing schedule that has NYSRPA file its brief on May 7 and NYC file its brief on August 5.

This briefing schedule would allow the Court to hear oral arguments during the October session.
Old 02-23-2019, 7:20 AM

Quote:
I was right, you are unable to read complete sentences.
Old 02-23-2019, 7:22 AM

Old 02-25-2019, 4:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I'm going to keep reposting it over and over until you discontinue your slight of hand . . .

https://www.scotusblog.com/wp-conten.../06/07-290.pdf
https://www.guncite.com

=8-|

. . . I doubt though that the Mods want "round and round we go" as the norm.

=8-(
Rather than posting links to whole documents (or whole web sites), suppose you state your exact point and then quote the passages you think support that point.

Remember
1) The Supreme Court is not reading this thread, so the importance is quite small, and
2) Nobody ever 'wins' an internet argument, so emotional investment here is not warranted.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Last edited by Librarian; 02-25-2019 at 4:19 PM..
Old 02-25-2019, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Rather than posting links to whole documents (or whole web sites), suppose you state your exact point and then quote the passages you think support that point.

Remember
1) The Supreme Court is not reading this thread, so the importance is quite small, and
2) Nobody ever 'wins' an internet argument, so emotional investment here is not warranted.
I really wish we could +1 comments.
Old 02-26-2019, 7:28 AM

Quote:
I'm going to keep reposting it over and over until you discontinue your slight of hand . . .

https://www.scotusblog.com/wp-conten.../06/07-290.pdf
https://www.guncite.com

=8-|

. . . I doubt though that the Mods want "round and round we go" as the norm.

=8-(
There is nothing in those links refuting my statements. Did you read them?
Old 02-26-2019, 8:48 AM
Calguns Addict

mrrabbit's only idea is "see Heller". But he can't find any cases of an appeals court that has thrown out a conviction for OC without a permit, or has made an injunction against enforcing such laws. Laws against OC are enforced. If mrrabbit doesn't believe these laws are enforceable, he should start OCing now. But he doesn't do that, because he knows he will be arrested and convicted.

And that's what it means to say, "OC isn't a protected right". You can and will be arrested and convicted for OCing without a permit in California. How is something a protected right, if doing it will inevitably lead to arrest and conviction? Mrrabbit can't explain that, except by saying that the courts are corrupt.

And I pointed out, this is a lot like the arguments that tax protesters use. "The income tax is illegal!" they say. Great, so stop filing your returns and then win in court. "No, that won't work because the courts are corrupt", they say. Ok... well, in fantasy-world, you can OC without a permit and not file your income taxes. That's cool. But back in the real world, I don't want to get arrested and convicted.

Mrrabbit is on my ignore list and I wish Calguns would put him a ban list.

Again, if he's so sure that OC is a protected right, he should start doing it, today.

Victoria "Tori" Rose Smith's life mattered.
Old 02-26-2019, 8:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post

Remember
Yes.
Old 02-26-2019, 9:56 AM
Calguns Addict

mrrabbit may be inconsequential in some respects. Most of us know not to take the OC thing too seriously so it isn't a problem for us.

The difficulty is that he might convince someone who doesn't understand that law enforcement and the courts will not be at all happy if you open carry in this state except under very specific circumstances.

This means that people have to argue with him continually and ad nauseum so that somebody doesn't take him seriously and go out there and get arrested, get convicted, and have the state revoke their right to possess a firearm at all.

Being well-meaning does not mean you are harmless.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleCuss View Post
Being well-meaning does not mean you are harmless.
Given Señor Conejo's inability to support any of his false statements, I am not convinced that he is well-meaning. His command of written English suggests he's not special needs, which is about the only innocent explanation (at least as far as I can hypothesize) for his behavior.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kukuforguns View Post
Given Señor Conejo's inability to support any of his false statements, I am not convinced that he is well-meaning. His command of written English suggests he's not special needs, which is about the only innocent explanation (at least as far as I can hypothesize) for his behavior.
I understand that concern.

But I keep remembering back to the UOC bunch and their pronouncements.

Many/most were wonderful people who were convinced that they were both righteous and unassailable. No matter that a whole bunch of us tried to point out what would really happen if they persisted they insisted their version of reality would prevail.

There were a few whom folk found convincing even though they were clearly behaving badly. That untoward behavior and poor outcomes still haven't convinced all that they should really not trust what some characters say and the courses they pursue.

Anyway, I'm going to assume mrrabbit means well and just hasn't been able to come to grips with the reality. This is unfortunate and could be disastrous for some if they take him too seriously.
Old 02-26-2019, 5:30 PM
Calguns Addict

The pronouncements about open carry and the Heller decision can be used in at least 2 ways:
  1. To inform one's personal actions as to open carry (this is the fear that has been expressed in the above few messages)
  2. To act as a predictor of future court decisions

While some seem to be concentrating on the former recently, I believe it's the latter that is the primary reason it's brought up. Quite obviously, one is likely to run afoul of the law if one were to openly carry in areas where laws forbidding it are operative. But that's true of every law, just or unjust, Constitutional or not. Law enforcement agencies have proven their willingness to enforce unjust or (what would later be determined by the courts) Unconstitutional laws, so a pronouncement that the 2nd Amendment protects open carry is really a pronouncement that it is supposed to protect it. But Constitutional protections don't mean a damn thing if they're not actually heeded by the various government agencies.

And so we get to the latter application of the pronouncements: prediction of court outcomes.

The argument with respect to tax protesters falls flat here, particularly with respect to claims of a corrupt court system. We know that the court system is corrupt. We've seen, time and time again, the 9th Circuit go out of its way to bury the right to arms in the ground, both in contravention of the plain meaning of the 2nd Amendment (and of what it means for something to be a right in the first place) and in contravention of the logical consequence of Heller (that decision wouldn't have bothered talking about "sensitive places" if there weren't an operative right to bear arms outside the home). The pronouncement with respect to open carry is a prediction of how the Supreme Court will ultimately decide the issue of carry.

The problem with mrrabbit's claims is that they have logical consequences that contradict his very claims.

I intend to go over all that in the thread I've started here: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...php?p=22712077
The Constitution is not "the Supreme Law of the Land, except in the face of contradicting law which has not yet been overturned by the courts". It is THE SUPREME LAW OF THE LAND, PERIOD. You break your oath to uphold the Constitution if you don't refuse to enforce unadjudicated laws you believe are Unconstitutional.

The real world laughs at optimism. And here's why.
Old 03-05-2019, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleCuss View Post
The difficulty is that he might convince someone who doesn't understand that law enforcement and the courts will not be at all happy if you open carry in this state except under very specific circumstances.
No big deal, just explain at trial that they haven't established "Joinder" between you and your legal person. That'll set 'em straight.
Old 03-08-2019, 11:52 AM

What are the chances of NYC repealing their long gun permit requirements with this happening?
Old 03-08-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saudade View Post
What are the chances of NYC repealing their long gun permit requirements with this happening?
Since this case is about a statute barring the transport of firearms out of the city and not the city's permitting requirements, and since NYC is the acme of anti-gun fervor, the odds are exactly "not a chance in Hell."
Old 04-12-2019, 1:29 PM

https://www.supremecourt.gov/DocketP...VtjwvZ8Rz96VXg

stay requested by the Supreme Court

― Plato
Old 04-12-2019, 1:38 PM

Wow. NYC tries to moot the case.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 04-12-2019, 1:45 PM

Not surprising.

SCOTUS should grant cert to Pena.
Old 04-12-2019, 1:46 PM

Wow. They knew they would lose and then pull this crap.

What are possible outcomes of this? Can the SC just ignore because they know the shenanigans they are trying to pull?

Even if NY holds this bullsh#t meeting and adopts the new rules can the SC still rule on the case for national implications?

So many questions!!!
Old 04-12-2019, 1:52 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Missing a few other locations in the “new” NY rule — like to a friend’s house, gunsmith, gun store...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NRA/USCCA/DOJ instructor, NRA CRSO, Journalist
Old 04-12-2019, 2:00 PM

I hope SCOTUS proceeds with it. A bull**** list of places allowed doesn't make this OK.
Old 04-12-2019, 2:11 PM

I note this bullsh*t, er, somewhat contradictory statement: "The Police Department has strongly believed, and continues to maintain, that the present Rule furthers an important public-safety interest." So the Police Department believes that the rule fulfills an important public safety interest, but they're going to repeal/override it anyway. What kind of bull**** is that? "Well, the public doesn't need to be THAT safe, I guess. That was just an extra super-safety layer of infringement. If only a couple hundred more people a year are subject to gun violence, that's no big deal. Go ahead, take your gun out of the city. Or something."

Edit: to add emphasis

Last edited by surfgeorge; 04-12-2019 at 3:20 PM..
Old 04-12-2019, 2:48 PM

so what does this mean ?
Old 04-12-2019, 2:57 PM

NYC needs a spanking - let's hope they get it
Old 04-12-2019, 3:12 PM

I'll ask here so I don't cause heart attacks by bumping the Pena thread- when can we expect to hear back on Pena? (Whether grant, denied, or delayed).
Old 04-12-2019, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanspartan View Post
I'll ask here so I don't cause heart attacks by bumping the Pena thread- when can we expect to hear back on Pena? (Whether grant, denied, or delayed).
Monday morning, I believe.
Old 04-12-2019, 3:43 PM

Dude. If they let this walk and don't take up any other case that's at their doorstep, it's clear we need to replace 1-2 more.
Old 04-12-2019, 3:46 PM
Spent $299 for this text!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanspartan View Post
Reminds me of an old bill collector joke.

"Sir, your account is 90 days past due, when can we expect to receive a payment?"

"You can expect to receive a payment whenever you'd like."

Old 04-12-2019, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfshrevident View Post
Dude. If they let this walk and don't take up any other case that's at their doorstep, it's clear we need to replace 1-2 more.
Let's hope they take Mance instead. Federal statutes are far less likely to get reversed on a whim.
Old 04-12-2019, 5:11 PM

Ya I'm worried they took this case because they can then say "see we did a 2A case!".

Sure this restriction sucks but unless they lay down strict scrutiny, it wont make any big change nationally.

They better take Pena...