Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 01-11-2019, 10:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Cokt XM177e2 post for imarangemaster

I was hesitant to post about my new rifle here, but screw it. Lots of my friends here still like talking about interesting guns. There’s no way to make this Ca legal, so if that’s an issue with you, I’m sorry.

Yes it is stupid expensive and overpriced. I’m well aware of that. I’m also aware it won’t do anything your $400 homemade PSA AR15 won’t do.

This post is for clone nerds. Guys like me who Colt released this for. Guys who have a passion for military small arms clones, and owning something as close to an original as possible without spending almost $40,000 for a transferable NFA weapon.

Here is my new Colt retro reissue XM177e2 carbine as issued to the US Army MACVSOG in the late 60’s. I bought the Colt vs. the Troy or Brownells for various reasons. Fist and foremost, it has all the proper Colt rollmarks of the era. Second, Troy has some personnel hiring issues that i’m not particularly fond of, but their xm clone is awesome in and of itself. Third, the Brownells version, while a fine functioning rifle, has too many discrepancies for clone nerds.

Colt knocked it out of the park with this. The attention to detail is amazing. Proper color, metal 2 position car buttstock, A1 receivers and ejection port door, buffer tube nut, single heat shield 6 hole handguards, tapered delta ring, a1 grip, tear drop forward assist, faux moderator dimensions, & receiver rollmarks etc etc. I’m thrilled with this thing. The XM177e2 was always a favorite of mine, but I never built one and no one was really making a good clone. Until recently. Anyway, for those that enjoy such things, enjoy.
Original Colt branded 3x carry handle
scope was not included but came from my collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by nitroxdiver; 01-11-2019 at 10:30 PM..
Old 01-12-2019, 3:16 AM
Veteran Member

Sexy AF. Hopefully I'll be in a new place in AZ in a few months. I got a 20" retro reissue on the brain (or an SP1 lol)
A lot of time and energy goes into thinking up ways to make perfectly good rifles into something dumb. Single shot ARs are gay. AR pistols are also gay. Just my opinion, of course, but a single shot AR pistol would be an AIDS cannon.
Old 01-12-2019, 3:29 AM
In Memoriam

Nice

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DOJ Certified Instructor
Old 01-12-2019, 4:25 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Very cool rifle.

My dad served on MACV team 98 from October 67 through through June 68. He was a Staff Sergeant leading a Provincial Reconnaissance Unit and he received the bronze star for his actions during Tet. You don't hear about the MACV guys much and I'm always interested to see stuff like this.

In his case, I'm not sure if these were issued to his unit. I don't recall seeing any in pictures, though they might not have been issued to his PRU team as I believe they were mostly Cambodian mercenaries. I do know he carried a Thompson at least part of his time over there. I'll have to look into this further.

Thanks for taking the time to post this.

Last edited by Wildhawk66; 01-12-2019 at 4:42 AM..
Old 01-12-2019, 4:40 AM
Veteran Member

looks good
Old 01-12-2019, 5:08 AM
Clean Cut American Kid 🇺🇸
CGN Contributor

Classic. Thanks for the post.
Old 01-12-2019, 5:38 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Bravo! You bought it because you can. Take that Nancy Pelosi!
Old 01-12-2019, 5:57 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildhawk66 View Post
Very cool rifle.

My dad served on MACV team 98 from October 67 through through June 68. He was a Staff Sergeant leading a Provincial Reconnaissance Unit and he received the bronze star for his actions during Tet. You don't hear about the MACV guys much and I'm always interested to see stuff like this.
Not to drift too far OT, I was in Squadron Officer's School when James P. Flemming was Ops officer. He was awarded the Medal of Honor for rescuing a MACV-SOG team in 1968.

Once I escape, I plan to have one as well.
Old 01-12-2019, 6:04 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildhawk66 View Post
Very cool rifle.

Thank you for your reply. Man, if your dad is comfortable talking about his experiences, it would be well worth it to document it for your future offspring. Those guys did some amazing operations.

Old 01-12-2019, 6:10 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by superhondaz50 View Post
Sexy AF. Hopefully I'll be in a new place in AZ in a few months. I got a 20" retro reissue on the brain (or an SP1 lol)

Colts retro reissue m16a1 is an awesome rifle as well, and i’m really itching to buy one of those too. It’s a couple hundred cheaper than the xm177e2, but is still expensive, and about twice the price of original sp1’s at gun show prices here. Go for it, you won’t be disappointed!

Old 01-12-2019, 6:12 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by saudadeii View Post
Not to drift too far OT, I was in Squadron Officer's School when James P. Flemming was Ops officer. He was awarded the Medal of Honor for rescuing a MACV-SOG team in 1968.

Once I escape, I plan to have one as well.

Drift all you want Sir. Thank you for your service. Reasons I post stuff like this is for fellow enthusiasts to chime in, and for cool stories like yours to surface. Have a great weekend.

Old 01-12-2019, 6:24 AM

Just too damn cool!
Old 01-12-2019, 6:27 AM
Veteran Member

This has always been a build I’ve wanted to do. Dam good looking Colt.

"Between your faith and my Glock 9mm I'll take the Glock."
- Arnold Schawarzenegger (End of Days)
Old 01-12-2019, 6:32 AM
Calguns Addict

That is so cool. I'd buy one too if I lived in free America.

Im guessing the "moderator" is pinned and welded to make the barrel 16"?

Don't argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. I don't respond to posts/posters that aren't worth responding to.
Old 01-12-2019, 6:46 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightcav View Post
That is so cool. I'd buy one too if I lived in free America.

Im guessing the "moderator" is pinned and welded to make the barrel 16"?

Cav, yes sir. The faux moderator is baffle-less and just a flash hider. It is pinned and welded to make 16.1”. They did a great job as there is zero evidence of the pin weld job. Barrel twist is 1/12 like the originals also. Actual barrel length is approx 14” as it extends up into the moderator pretty far.

Old 01-12-2019, 7:29 AM
Calguns Addict

That is a very nice rifle. I built one a few years ago using a M16 kit and a 80% receiver I reprofiled and had engraved.

Last edited by highpower; 01-18-2019 at 1:12 PM..
Old 01-12-2019, 7:45 AM

Great rifle! Here's an NOS moderator to go with it.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/792039583
Old 01-12-2019, 7:46 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroxdiver View Post
I was hesitant to post about my new rifle here, but screw it. Lots of my friends here still like talking about interesting guns. There’s no way to make this Ca legal, so if that’s an issue with you, I’m sorry.
And you wonder why snowflakes cry.

Quote:
Yes it is stupid ... overpriced.
Not if they are selling them.

Quote:
I’m also aware it won’t do anything your $400 homemade PSA AR15 won’t do.
Ask gregchico to test it.

Quote:
I bought the Colt vs. the Troy or Brownells for various reasons. Fist and foremost, it has all the proper Colt rollmarks of the era.
I don't understand why we haven't seen house before. They are beautiful.

Quote:
Colt knocked it out of the park with this. The attention to detail is amazing. Proper color, metal 2 position car buttstock, A1 receivers and ejection port door, buffer tube nut, single heat shield 6 hole handguards, tapered delta ring, a1 grip, tear drop forward assist, faux moderator dimensions, & receiver rollmarks etc etc. I’m thrilled with this thing. The XM177e2 was always a favorite of mine, but I never built one and no one was really making a good clone. Until recently. Anyway, for those that enjoy such things, enjoy.

Very nice.
Old 01-12-2019, 8:08 AM

Quote:

Yes it is stupid expensive and overpriced. I’m well aware of that. I’m also aware it won’t do anything your $400 homemade PSA AR15 won’t do.

This post is for clone nerds. Guys like me who Colt released this for. Guys who have a passion for military small arms clones, and owning something as close to an original as possible without spending almost $40,000 for a transferable NFA weapon.

Here is my new Colt retro reissue XM177e2 carbine as issued to the US Army MACVSOG in the late 60’s. I bought the Colt vs. the Troy or Brownells for various reasons. Fist and foremost, it has all the proper Colt rollmarks of the era. Second, Troy has some personnel hiring issues that i’m not particularly fond of, but their xm clone is awesome in and of itself. Third, the Brownells version, while a fine functioning rifle, has too many discrepancies for clone nerds.

I believe you cut your self short by not buying the full auto version

M. Sage's I have a dream speech;

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
I dream about the day that the average would-be rapist is afraid to approach a woman who's walking alone at night. I dream of the day when two punks talk each other out of sticking up a liquor store because it's too damn risky.
Old 01-12-2019, 8:08 AM
Calguns Addict

Highpower, outstanding Sir!

Old 01-12-2019, 8:35 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

When I saw Colt coming out with it, I felt a pang of jealousy as I had bought the Troy version. At the time, Troy was the only one making the retro clone, but at least it was available before the 2017 AW cut off. Now that I’m a free man, it wouldn’t have mattered in retrospect, but at least it was in my hands.

Congrats, nitroxdriver. That is a beaut.

BTW, I’ll have to spring for those scopes too due to old eyes Are was the ones made in Japan of good quality? The ones available in that era, were they made in USA? Ones in eBay, are there Chinese fakes to avoid?

The wife will be pissed, but Jesus always forgives.
Old 01-12-2019, 9:47 AM

Quote:

Great rifle!!!!!!! ...don't pay attention to the haters.
Old 01-12-2019, 9:50 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by colossians323 View Post
I believe you cut your self short by not buying the full auto version

A two stamp export 639 xm177e2 just sold at auction for $39k. A little more than I wanna spend on a rifle

Old 01-12-2019, 9:57 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanz2 View Post
When I saw Colt coming out with it, I felt a pang of jealousy as I had bought the Troy version. At the time, Troy was the only one making the retro clone, but at least it was available before the 2017 AW cut off. Now that I’m a free man, it wouldn’t have mattered in retrospect, but at least it was in my hands.

Congrats, nitroxdriver. That is a beaut.

BTW, I’ll have to spring for those scopes too due to old eyes Are was the ones made in Japan of good quality? The ones available in that era, were they made in USA? Ones in eBay, are there Chinese fakes to avoid?

Brother you’re not missing anything with the Troy. That is another absolutely perfect clone, and i’d be proud to own one. I just really wanted the Colt version, and i’m still a bit bitter over Troys hiring drama.

The scopes are cool but nothing like a modern acog. Kinda straw like. The glass is clear and sharp though. They made them in 3x and 4x. Mine was made in Japan by Hakko. Thee are chinese knockoffs and outright fakes so do a bit of research first before plunking down the cash.

Please contribute some photos of your awesome troy if you find yourself out in the safe.

Old 01-12-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
A two stamp export 639 xm177e2 just sold at auction for $39k. A little more than I wanna spend on a rifle

Thats called an investment. Limited supply...............forever. Mostly only goes up in value

M. Sage's I have a dream speech;

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
I dream about the day that the average would-be rapist is afraid to approach a woman who's walking alone at night. I dream of the day when two punks talk each other out of sticking up a liquor store because it's too damn risky.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:32 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by colossians323 View Post
Thats called an investment. Limited supply...............forever. Mostly only goes up in value

Very true. I already have pretty good access to shoot f/a whenever i want, and it’s really hard for me to invest in them myself. I’ve talked myself out of a mac10 a half dozen times already, and they’re only 7-8 grand.

Old 01-12-2019, 10:44 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Super cool! Thank you for sharing...if only I lived in a state that understood the meaning of "infringed"...I would join you!
"Bruen, the Bruen opinion, I believe, discarded the intermediate scrutiny test that I also thought was not very useful; and has, instead, replaced it with a text history and tradition test." Judge Benitez 12-12-2022

NRA Endowment Life Member, CRPA Life Member
GLOCK (Gen 1-5, G42/43), Colt AR15/M16/M4, Sig P320, Sig P365, Beretta 90 series, Remington 870, HK UMP Factory Armorer
Remington Nylon, 1911, HK, Ruger, Hudson H9 Armorer, just for fun!
I instruct it if you shoot it.
Old 01-12-2019, 8:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Cokt XM177e2 post for imarangemaster

I’m pretty sure Imarangemaster used to have an actual xm as a department issued weapon, hence the reason I tagged him in the post title. Thought he might like to see this.

Old 01-13-2019, 7:37 AM

Thats an great new piece nitrox. I have had the A1 in a shopping cart on 4 separate occasions!! I am just having a time justifying it since I already have a nice clone from a correct NOS Colt upper and furniture on a Nodak lower.

Yours has perfect roll marking which adds to the value and satisfaction. Major bonus and luck.

I am pretty sure this post is going to get me up to a cart tally of 5.

A couple I’ve seen on GB had incomplete roll marks, so that is what held me back as no one that offers these at decent prices will take a pic. Normally wouldn’t care, but this item is all about being as perfect as it could be. Ironic given a real one would probably not have been as nice new.

Very cool and thanks for sharing the pics.
Old 01-13-2019, 8:06 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Very neat little carbine Steep price tag at $2,300.00 + Anyone know what the production numbers will be?

Gotts love that look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.
Old 01-13-2019, 9:51 PM
Veteran Member

Hahah! I LOVE IT!!!!!! Thank you. Yep, I briefly (for 4 or 5 months) in the mid-1990s had one as an LEO trunk weapon. It was seized in a drug raid and converted to department use. Then I made the mistake of letting a SWAT Sgt. know I had checked it out when it first came in...He pulled rank...the rest is history. It was sweet, though my Mini-14 shot better at 100 yards.

Last edited by imarangemaster; 01-14-2019 at 8:04 AM..
Old 01-13-2019, 10:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Very cool. My boss was Platoon leader in a First Air Cav in VN, he carried one of those. He said accuracy was terrible, but he also said he would fill his mags with only tracers and use it basically as pointer to direct fire from his men. At 50 yards he said all the bullets would be going sideways through a cardboard box target. I'm assuming the slow twist barrels of the time and the long, heavy tracers were to blame.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

https://www.waguns.org/viewtopic.php?f=146&t=91466

Real moderators for those of you with FFL01/7 and SOT in California. (Or those of you elsewhere willing to blow a $200 stamp on devices that aren’t very effective at decibel reduction)
Old 01-14-2019, 7:44 AM
Veteran Member

The XM I had at the SO had a birdcage replacing the moderator. That was fairly common post Vietnam. Moderators got plugged up with carbon and fouling fairly easily. In 1979-1981, I was in a USAF Reserve/Air National Guard unit as an SP and armorer (I was active Army 74-77, then Army reserve until I switched to USAF). I carried a GAU-5/A/A (XM with no forward assist). It had a moderator. We would take the moderators off and soak them in something like carbon tet (or something like that, I don't remember what) to break up the fouling.

I also carried a GAU-5/P, a 14.5" pencil barrel with an A1 birdcage. My GAU-5/P had a 601 or 602 lower (slab side with a non-captive pivot pin) and no forward assist. I typical USAF Franken Carbine. We recycled everything weapon wise.

Last edited by imarangemaster; 01-14-2019 at 7:58 AM..
Old 01-14-2019, 7:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milsurp1 View Post
https://www.waguns.org/viewtopic.php?f=146&t=91466

Real moderators for those of you with FFL01/7 and SOT in California. (Or those of you elsewhere willing to blow a $200 stamp on devices that aren’t very effective at decibel reduction)

Milsurp, thank you for the link. That’s cool someone is reproducing them for the true hard corp cloners. Considering the ineffectiveness of the moderators at suppressing noise, I’m good with my faux moderator and putting my tax stamp money towards modern suppressors I did just see an original new in wrap colt moderator for sale for $1,800. So these are a heck of a deal for the serious cloner.

Old 01-14-2019, 7:31 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

$1,800! I agree a fake moderator pinned for 16” OAL is the most practical path with these. Now a Colt 635 with modern suppressor....
Old 01-14-2019, 7:36 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

By the way, when is the next time that Colt scope will be left unattended? (GPS coordinates too please)
Old 01-14-2019, 7:59 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milsurp1 View Post
By the way, when is the next time that Colt scope will be left unattended? (GPS coordinates too please)

I think it’s found it’s perma home. I’ve had this thing in my gear locker for so long. Tried it on a couple of my modern colts. but it just wasn’t right. On the A1 carbine upper it’s perfect. I was looking for another one recently for a buddy who was drooling over mine. Holy heck have these things become scarce and expensive.

Old 01-14-2019, 8:09 PM

If that lower is cut out to fit FA FCG you can come over and drop a spare parts kit and my RDIAS in it.

Private 10 acre range rentals
[/URL]
Old 01-14-2019, 8:11 PM
✰ Sometimes I Fly Armed
CGN Contributor

Location: This information has been redacted in accordance with Title 18 U.S. Code § 798

CA be damned - thanks for sharing, nitroxdiver.

XM177s are soooooo cool. I'm jealous

-------