Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 10-08-2018, 7:57 PM

Default Appendix carry

Who here does it, and what holster do you use?
Old 10-08-2018, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree Cutter View Post

It’s all I do, and all IWB. Very easy to conceal. I’ve tried many holsters from different manufacturers. You need adjustable retention. You should get a nice “click” when you seat the pistol in the holster. Kydex is the material of choice. Lots of colors and styles. My favorite maker is Pyntek. The website isn’t great. One man operation. Really great quality though. www.pyntek.com

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-08-2018, 8:09 PM
Veteran Member

After trying many others, JM Custom Kydex almost exclusively.
Old 10-08-2018, 8:15 PM
Calguns Addict

I don't have room to AIWB, a bit confused that any man does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epilepticninja View Post
Americans vs. Democrats
We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.

What doesn't kill me, better run
Old 10-08-2018, 8:15 PM

I use exclusively UM Tacticals trigger guard. Best I've ever used

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns
Old 10-08-2018, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmosley View Post
It’s all I do, and all IWB. Very easy to conceal. I’ve tried many holsters from different manufacturers. You need adjustable retention. You should get a nice “click” when you seat the pistol in the holster. Kydex is the material of choice. Lots of colors and styles. My favorite maker is Pyntek. The website isn’t great. One man operation. Really great quality though. www.pyntek.com

I forgot to mention that you obviously don’t want to lean forward or bend down and have the thing popping up out of your waste band. Most manufacturers are using a tension adjustable clip which goes over the belt. I carry every day and I’ve never had my pistol come up out of the holster, and the holster has never pushed up off of the belt. So far I’ve had zero issues. I wear pullovers or untucked shirts and appendix carry works great. I just ordered a shoulder holster (from Wright Leather) w/mag carriers and tie downs to wear beneath a sport coat. Depending on the coat I can still sometimes carry appendix, just have to be a bit more careful.

Old 10-08-2018, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmosley View Post
I forgot to mention that you obviously don’t want to lean forward or bend down and have the thing popping up out of your waste band. Most manufacturers are using a tension adjustable clip which goes over the belt. I carry every day and I’ve never had my pistol come up out of the holster, and the holster has never pushed up off of the belt. So far I’ve had zero issues. I wear pullovers or untucked shirts and appendix carry works great. I just ordered a shoulder holster (from Wright Leather) w/mag carriers and tie downs to wear beneath a sport coat. Depending on the coat I can still sometimes carry appendix, just have to be a bit more careful.

Notice those two screws at lower right. Tightening or loosening adjusts retention on the pistol trigger guard.

Old 10-08-2018, 8:40 PM
Veteran Member

Tier1 Concealed AXIS Slim AIWB here.. best I’ve found for sitting and standing all day, with ease of access if needed. Buy once, cry once
Old 10-08-2018, 8:50 PM

I use a stealth gear holster. It has a kydex outer shell and a moisture wicking back side against my body. Very comfortable and helps a lot with sweat.

AIWB is the only way I carry. It will depend a lot on body type. I also started buying tall versions of shirts to help a little with length when reaching up and over my head
Old 10-09-2018, 12:03 AM
Calguns Addict

This one...

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...hlight=Holster

Fighter Pilot
Old 10-09-2018, 12:26 AM

In the rare instance I'm in jeans (not Levis -screw them) I find that the Phalanx Defense System IWB holster cants my gun perfectly with no printing:

http://www.stealthoperator.com/Compa...egory=29450375

It's a multi fit holster that also works with larger guns.

Safety Rule #1:
1) Treat all tweakers like they are loaded
Old 10-09-2018, 1:23 AM

I’ve been using my Black Center Tactical AIWB holster for almost 4 years and it’s the best AIWB holster I used so far. I’ve tried bravo concealment torsion as well as LAG tactical, always went back to the Black center tactical holster.
Old 10-09-2018, 4:05 AM

I use a t-rex sidecar. I have one for my shield and one for my G19. I also have a Tier1 axis for my shield. I prefer the sidecar. Comfort wise about the same. It’s easier to take the sidecar on and off. Printing wise about the same. The tier1 holster is a little bigger.
Old 10-09-2018, 4:38 AM

Smart Carry. https://www.smartcarry.com
Old 10-09-2018, 5:44 AM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

I carry 4:30, I'd rather have Glockleg than Glockcock.
Old 10-09-2018, 6:58 AM

M&P Shield 9mm in a Remora holster with reinforced edges. EDC for the past 5-1/2 years with not one problem.

Last edited by nickel plate; 12-26-2020 at 8:57 AM..
Old 10-09-2018, 7:22 AM

tier 1 agis. i have had to change my whole wardrobe, though. much looser shirts. i have a crossbreed bellyband arriving today (will still wear that appendix)
Old 10-09-2018, 8:03 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Blade tech and don fricke holsters

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)
Old 10-09-2018, 8:15 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Are you looking for options for your own carry pistol?

There are more people carrying appendix style now. It used to be when you mentioned it the naysayers lit up with comments about ND self castration and worse as a result.

I think it's a very efficient way to safely carry and control a handgun for EDC.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 10-09-2018, 8:36 AM

Context is important when it comes to explaining the how and why of holster selection as well as location on the body. Certain features can aid concealment for one body type and not another. Your belt and slide length also play a large role in concealment; AIWB does not require the same belt stiffness as a behind the hip (traditional IWB) carry. I cannot recommend a hybrid holster (Alien gear, Crossbreed, etc.) due to the fact that they do not provide consistent retention and the ability to safely reholster. I am also very hesitant to recommend a mag caddy holster such as the T-Rex Sidecar due to the fact that it can greatly hinder the mobility of your hips. Trigger guard holsters (Raven Concealment Vanguard 2) do have a place, however, I do not recommend them to people who do not have the necessary context for their usage. Holsters that do not completely cover the trigger guard with a solid material are also a non-starter as they do not provide adequate protection against a negligent discharge.

Companies like Phlster, Tenicor, JM Custom Kydex, Raven Concealment System, and Henry Holsters all have appendix specific holsters that offer wedges and claws to aid in concealment. Keep in mind that the length of the holster and/or slide can drastically impact your concealability, longer slides and holster prevent the grip of your gun from rolling out over your belt. I can conceal a G34 better than a G26 for this very reason.

If you want specific recommendations for your firearm I would be more than willing to help.

To provide context, I am 5 10, 180 with a fairly average build. I use a VDev group belt.
Old 10-09-2018, 8:53 AM
Calguns Addict

Walmart carry???

"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 10-09-2018, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeuerFrei View Post
Are you looking for options for your own carry pistol?
Yes. I am currently carrying a 5 shot .38 Smith in a pocket holster, in my front pocket. I want to carry a Glock 19, however I find that I am slow in drawing with IWB holster at the 2 or 3 o' clock. I heard that appendix carry is a lot quicker when drawing. I mostly wear shorts and a t shirt.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:24 PM

Glock 26 with Sticky Holster for the past 2 years
Old 10-09-2018, 10:50 PM
Pitbull Apologist
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by placerproud View Post
Trigger guard holsters (Raven Concealment Vanguard 2) do have a place, however, I do not recommend them to people who do not have the necessary context for their usage.
Do you mind elaborating a bit more...about "necessary context for their usage "
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIGHT762 View Post
Can I bring my Donkey? He loves Chunky Monkey.
Old 10-10-2018, 6:45 AM
Calguns Addict

Someone already mentioned Smartcarry.
I have one for wearing basketball shorts and T-shirt. Jogging and excersizing etc..
It's very stable, NOT a nut buster, no flopping around. Carrying different handguns in one holster.
Over the years I have carried 3" 38, 3" 45acp, g26/19. Good comfortable, secure option.
Quote:
Yes. I am currently carrying a 5 shot .38 Smith in a pocket holster, in my front pocket. I want to carry a Glock 19, however I find that I am slow in drawing with IWB holster at the 2 or 3 o' clock. I heard that appendix carry is a lot quicker when drawing. I mostly wear shorts and a t shirt.
Sent using a long string and 2 used soup cans
-- Frederick Douglass --

– Frederick Douglass --
Old 10-10-2018, 7:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilDawgJJ View Post
Do you mind elaborating a bit more...about "necessary context for their usage "
Absolutely. There a number of things that someone looking to use a trigger guard holster must be aware of and there are certain situations that they are not well suited for. They are not a holster that is well suited for training and practice due to the fact that they must be removed to reholster the firearm. The minimalist design also means that your belt is more important for proper concealment. They are not well suited for concealment of smaller firearms in someone who is going to be active, the only thing preventing the gun from rolling away from the body is the muzzle and the weight is biased far more towards the grip of the gun.

They can only support a single loop or clip mounting system which means that they can shift more easily than a two loop or clip design. I have also witnessed draws fouled by front sights catching on undergarments or waistbands and, while this can be mitigated through some changes in the draw, may not be best suited for someone who is not comfortable diagnosing and fixing that issue.

I'm not saying that they are a bad option, however, I would not recommend them as your only option. If you do want to use one make sure that you have a belt that is designed for the task of carrying a gun and that the firearm doesn't roll away from your body.
Old 10-10-2018, 8:19 AM

I could do some serious humor to this topic were I sitting around a deer camp campfire ;-)
Old 10-10-2018, 9:48 AM

EDC Holster update.

The gray holster on the left is made by Alpha Concealment and is called the Centaur which fits my G26 with a TLR6.

The black/red holsters on the right is made by Tier1 Concealed and is called the Agis. This fits my G19 with a TRL1 HL. It’s also set up so I can add a RMR and a threaded barrel once I purchase them.

Right off the bat I really liked theses two holsters. But quickly started to stray towards one more then the other. I think you guys will be able to tell from the second image which holster I enjoy more.

I think one of the main reasons that Tier1 is better for me is that I don’t need to move my belt orientation to the side to allow the clips to fit. Granted this may just be the nature of the beast since it’s for a G26 and not a full frame. I assume with a full frame the belt clips will be pushed out a bit more. But with the Alpha Concealment I have to re orientate my belts. Yes, I said belts...I’ve tried it with only 2 so far and both belts need to be pushed to the side. Not the worst problem in the world but I do enjoy keeping my belt centered.

I think I fell in love with Tier1 Concealed so much that I just ordered 2 more holsters from them. One for my P229 and another holster for my G26. The reason I like this holster so much is that is very flexible but not too flexible that your gun is flopping all around when you take the holster off your pants.

THE CLAW. One of the best parts of this holster. It’s a 90 degree claw compared to others that are 45 degrees. This significantly helped push the gun into my gut and now I don’t print that much.

Definitely going to give the Alpha Concealment holster more time to sink in. Maybe I’ll start to enjoy it. Who knows!

Hope you guys enjoyed this rant/review and hopefully it helps some people when deciding on holsters.

Testing out the Alpha Concealment Centaur holster today for my 26. Bathroom tip of the day, leave your holster in the pants so you don’t forget your gun.

Old 10-10-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoRob View Post
Please don't ever suggest this again lol. We want this guy to buy a real holster, not some fanny pack lol.
Old 10-11-2018, 4:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 805local View Post
Please don't ever suggest this again lol. We want this guy to buy a real holster, not some fanny pack lol.
Different strokes for different folks. It’s a belly band type and not a fanny pack. I can tell you from experience they work. Your mileage may very.

Last edited by FresnoRob; 10-11-2018 at 4:51 AM..
Old 10-11-2018, 2:23 PM

I've used two:

* https://www.elitesurvival.com/concea...p-holster-iwb/

I've used that for a sig p226, sig p220, and glock 19

* https://rcsgear.com/minimalist-iwb-vanguard/

That's actually pretty good for the glock.

For both of them, I carry an extra mag iwb as well:

* https://neptuneconcealment.com/produ...h-single-clip/
Old 10-12-2018, 10:16 AM
Pitbull Apologist
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Absolutely. There a number of things that someone looking to use a trigger guard holster must be aware of and there are certain situations that they are not well suited for. They are not a holster that is well suited for training and practice due to the fact that they must be removed to reholster the firearm. The minimalist design also means that your belt is more important for proper concealment. They are not well suited for concealment of smaller firearms in someone who is going to be active, the only thing preventing the gun from rolling away from the body is the muzzle and the weight is biased far more towards the grip of the gun.

They can only support a single loop or clip mounting system which means that they can shift more easily than a two loop or clip design. I have also witnessed draws fouled by front sights catching on undergarments or waistbands and, while this can be mitigated through some changes in the draw, may not be best suited for someone who is not comfortable diagnosing and fixing that issue.

I'm not saying that they are a bad option, however, I would not recommend them as your only option. If you do want to use one make sure that you have a belt that is designed for the task of carrying a gun and that the firearm doesn't roll away from your body.
I appreciate your reply. I carry (AIWB) a Vanguard 2 with a G29 on an Aegis Enhanced belt with Cobra buckle. With the weight of the G29, it's the only belt that retains the weapon nicely and doesn't feel like it's going to flex off. True about having to take off the guard holster and holster. I really don't mind it, because I believe it's another layer of safety for holstering, i.e.., making sure that the weapon is seated properly with no obstructions (ND). You don't get that with average kydex holster etc. I also like the single loop, because I like to cant my weapon about 15 degrees or so. Makes it easier to draw for me.

I have an Alien Gear Shapeshift holster and it's bulky AF. I only wear it with a hoodie or at night. The Vanguard 2, I can wear it with just a t-shirt and shorts. No printing whatsoever.

Lastly, you make a good point on the sight hook-up. I have not experienced this, but I can see this as a concern. I have XS Big Dots too...lol.
Quote:
Old 10-12-2018, 11:07 AM

Have you tried the VG 2 advanced kit that has a claw to help tuck the butt of the gun into your body? Makes the VG 2 holster even better in my opinion.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:25 AM
Pitbull Apologist
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Have you tried the VG 2 advanced kit that has a claw to help tuck the butt of the gun into your body? Makes the VG 2 holster even better in my opinion.
No, haven't tried it yet. I have been looking at it though.
Quote:
Old 10-12-2018, 4:31 PM

Give it a go, a definite improvement.
Old 10-13-2018, 12:33 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post
I carry 4:30, I'd rather have Glockleg than Glockcock.

Yeah, 3:30 for me. I’m a dentist and sit, bend forward, and move all day....not comfortable with all that sticking me there.

Also, sitting in a car doesn’t feel good to me.

Oh, and the Gcock thing

https://www.activejunky.com/invite/238017

“Criminals, tyrants and terrorists don’t do background checks.” — Judge Roger Benitez, 4/23/2020
Old 10-15-2018, 12:45 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erion929 View Post
Yeah, 3:30 for me. I’m a dentist and sit, bend forward, and move all day....not comfortable with all that sticking me there.

Also, sitting in a car doesn’t feel good to me.

Oh, and the Gcock thing

I am kind of surprised anyone can sit comfortable carrying in front of the hip bone. I've tried... and I can't even imagine drawing in a car from the appendix area but whatever works for people right? Carrying strong side on the flank IWB just seems natural for pretty much every scenario to me. Go figure.
Old 10-15-2018, 2:02 PM
Calguns Addict

There's a time and place for different carry positions/holsters.
For me the appendix offers added advantage is being able to get to my pistol/ammo with either hand.
Body type/shape really does play a bigger part though. (jelly belly)
That's why we end up with a box full of little used holsters we thought were fantastic, but in practice were bad decisions.

Sent using a long string and 2 used soup cans
-- Frederick Douglass --

– Frederick Douglass --
Old 10-15-2018, 5:16 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I use a Concealment Express Kydex for a G43 and a G19.

https://www.concealmentexpress.com/products

I also have an Alien Gear that is comfortable...

Last edited by steel30; 10-15-2018 at 5:23 PM..
Old 10-16-2018, 7:41 AM

Glock 19 in JM Custom Kydex wingclaw 2.0, with the padded wedge. Was out to diner with friends, we are all LTC, was asked why I did not get a beer, indicated I was carrying. Later standing in his house talking, after 10 minutes, he asks where I am hiding my gun. Also have their single mag carrier, helps feel balanced with something on the left side.