Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 09-14-2018, 9:39 AM

Default Cajun Pro Package Options for SP-01

Hello all. Besides the choice of either the race or ring hammer, do we have an option for the flat trigger while keeping the SA/DA action?

Also, what do you guys commonly request to be done in addition to the Pro Package Install besides the bushing, extended safety, and FO sights while they have the gun on hand?

SP-01 will be primarily used as a range gun, or for completion in the long distant future lol.

Thank you in advance.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member

Pro pkg usually comes with C85 trigger. I'd ask schmecky but I guess you could sub out the single action trigger. It wouldn't be very usefull unless you converted to SA and deactivated the DA though. I would email him directly, he's pretty quick to respond and a really nice guy.

Last edited by etwinam; 09-14-2018 at 10:19 AM..
Old 09-14-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etwinam View Post
Pro pkg usually comes with C85 trigger. I'd ask schmecky but I guess you could sub out the single action trigger. It wouldn't be very usefull unless you converted to SA and deactivated the DA though. I would email him directly, he's pretty quick to respond and a really nice guy.
Thanks for the tip. Mind sending his email via PM?
Old 09-14-2018, 11:00 AM

Just heard back from Cajun. Flat trigger cannot be installed for a DA/SA pistol, 75585 trigger will be installed.

I would like to hear from peeps who have converted theirs to single action only. Worth it?
Old 09-14-2018, 11:16 AM

I have not missed not having DA on neither my 75b or 97b. Both have been to cajun gun works(well worth the time and money), after getting them souped up by David I decided to convert them myself to SA using the cajun single action trigger.

The triggers on both those CZ's are now quite similar to my tactical sport. Well worth the effort
Old 09-14-2018, 11:24 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatiti View Post
Just heard back from Cajun. Flat trigger cannot be installed for a DA/SA pistol, 75585 trigger will be installed.

I would like to hear from peeps who have converted theirs to single action only. Worth it?
i kept mine SA/DA, cgw makes DA so smooth its not worth losing it imo.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:44 AM

Do you plan on compete with it and does that change work for your selected division?

The Pro Package with comp hammer is nice. The RRK and SRS parts included with it make it really nice.

I am also running the yellow recoil spring and black hammer spring (the CGW one, not the OEM part). And I polished a lot. Super nice shooting now. 7lb DA, 2.8lb SA.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:

I've had it both ways. I've used all Cajun parts to get the most out of it. I like mine SAO 100%. I removed the FPB and now there is barely any take up and the reset is short.
Old 09-14-2018, 3:18 PM
Veteran Member

I suggest checking out the CGW facebook page. While i generally avoid facebook, i do find the CGW page worth visiting. They post allot of different customer build pictures on there. So it can be a good way to see a wide range of their work and many different upgrade options all in once place.

It may be worth considering a refinish since you are planning on shipping your CZ out to them. Other than that you already listed several of the major additional options in your orignal post. I did not see grips listed.

I prefer my CZs in DA/SA but everyone has their own preference. Some folks prefer the flat profile of the SAO triggers, i tried these out and they did not agree with me. In my opinion other than trigger profile there is not much to gain in a well tuned CZ from going SAO. Unless you choose to remove the Firng Pin Block you can only reduce the SA trigger travel to a point. If the FPB is removed the Single Action of a DA/SA CZ can be made real close if not just as tight as an SAO set up with the addition of a CGW T3 hand fitted disconector. In that case i figure why not keep the DA intact for second strike capability.

As i see it, the real asset of an SAO conversion is the ease of reducing the SA pre-travle if you are doing your own work. The pre-travle set scerw located in the top of a SAO style trigger allows you to easily adjust out as much pre-travle as the pistols configuration will allow while maintaining the function of the reset. The same or a very similar reduction in SA pre-travle can be achieved in a DA/SA setup as well by hand fitting a disconector to a specific pistol. It just requires more time and effort. Both the DA/SA and SAO style after market triggers come with over-travle adjustment set screws located in the face of the triggers so the two options are equal in this regard.

Last edited by Tok36; 09-14-2018 at 4:43 PM..
Old 09-14-2018, 4:08 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

I will be getting my SP-01 mid-October (just waiting for my wife's pistol to clear the 30-days before the CZ can be DROS).

I'm subscribing to this thread so I can pick up ideas on what packages I'd be going for...

Use is a balance of competition and defense. IDPA SSP/ESP and USPSA Production.

Cheers,

_

WEGC - Shooting at 10-yards VS 20-yards - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7mdbNZ4j9U
Old 09-14-2018, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tok36 View Post
I suggest checking out the CGW facebook page. While i generally avoid facebook, i do find the CGW page worth visiting. They post allot of different customer build pictures on there. So it can be a good way to see a wide range of their work and many different upgrade options all in once place.

It may be worth considering a refinish since you are planning on shipping your CZ out to them. Other than that you already listed several of the major additional options in your orignal post. I did not see grips listed.

I prefer my CZs in DA/SA but everyone has their own preference. Some folks prefer the flat profile of the SAO triggers, i tried these out and they did not agree with me. In my opinion other than trigger profile there is not much to gain in a well tuned CZ from going SAO. Unless you choose to remove the Firng Pin Block you can only reduce the SA trigger travel to a point. If the FPB is removed the Single Action of a DA/SA CZ can be made real close if not just as tight as an SAO set up with the addition of a CGW T3 hand fitted disconector. In that case i figure why not keep the DA intact for second strike capability.

As i see it, the real asset of an SAO conversion is the ease of reducing the SA pre-travle if you are doing your own work. The pre-travle set scerw located in the top of a SAO style trigger allows you to easily adjust out as much pre-travle as the pistols configuration will allow while maintaining the function of the reset. The same or a very similar reduction in SA pre-travle can be achieved in a DA/SA setup as well by hand fitting a disconector to a specific pistol. It just requires more time and effort. Both the DA/SA and SAO style after market triggers come with over-travle adjustment set screws located in the face of the triggers so the two options are equal in this regard.
Thanks for your post. Really helpful.

In regards to the grips, I like the stock rubber grips a lot. In fact, even better than the G10 grips on my other pistols.

Also, CZ sent these to me for free for the inconvenience... Walnut Grips since they are out of the Cocobolo.

Old 09-14-2018, 6:00 PM

I’m thinking about doing the pro package myself.

I’ve been reading and watching videos for this. Looks pretty much straight forward with the right tools. I’m just worried that I may over polish something.

Also, I’ve read a diy post that it may require some sanding somewhere in the sear assembly thingy in order just to make the trigger work or reset.

Is this the case or it should be a drop in upgrade with no fitting required.
Old 09-14-2018, 7:41 PM

Quote:
I’m thinking about doing the pro package myself.

I’ve been reading and watching videos for this. Looks pretty much straight forward with the right tools. I’m just worried that I may over polish something.

Also, I’ve read a diy post that it may require some sanding somewhere in the sear assembly thingy in order just to make the trigger work or reset.

Is this the case or it should be a drop in upgrade with no fitting required.
I installed the Pro Package myself in my first ever CZ. Its not hard as long as you are comfortable with basic mechanical work. You need a good set of punches, a good work surface and block (some use a block of wood, I used an AR lower assembly block), a decent hammer with soft and hard faces, I used 1000 grit emery paper. Also get the CGW start punch

The hardest part for me was getting the factory hammer pins started out and the replacement pins started going in. The rest is just fitting so lots of assembly and disassembly.

The sear cage is not difficult, just a lot of small parts and springs to not lose in it and the detents on the frame for the safety/decocker.

As for over polishing, as long as you don't round corners that need to be sharp or polish the machining marks away, you should be fine. I use a razor blade to wrap the emery paper around for a sharp and flat edge.
Old 09-14-2018, 8:50 PM
Veteran Member

I told you that you can't leave your CZ alone. There's way too many upgrades available.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:24 PM

Quote:

I sent my SP-01 to Cajun last year for the Pro-Package and had them convert it to SAO, loved it so much most of my CZ are SAO (Tacsport, CZ75 SA, SP-01). About to convert the CZ97 and Shadow2 to SAO when time permits. I’m pretty sure you will love it as much as I do.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadside View Post
I installed the Pro Package myself in my first ever CZ. Its not hard as long as you are comfortable with basic mechanical work. You need a good set of punches, a good work surface and block (some use a block of wood, I used an AR lower assembly block), a decent hammer with soft and hard faces, I used 1000 grit emery paper. Also get the CGW start punch

The hardest part for me was getting the factory hammer pins started out and the replacement pins started going in. The rest is just fitting so lots of assembly and disassembly.

The sear cage is not difficult, just a lot of small parts and springs to not lose in it and the detents on the frame for the safety/decocker.

As for over polishing, as long as you don't round corners that need to be sharp or polish the machining marks away, you should be fine. I use a razor blade to wrap the emery paper around for a sharp and flat edge.
"The hardest part for me was getting the factory hammer pins started out and the replacement pins started going in" - Would the CGW starter punch make this easier? And does this apply to both safety and decocker versions, difficulty that is?

In regards to the tools, I have a decent set of punches to include roll pin punches. I have a vise, work bench, heavy duty hammer, Dremel etc.. In terms of the block, would those circular work bench blocks with holes suffice?

Thank you on the tips for polishing. Did you use a Dremel to further polish to mirror finish?
Old 09-14-2018, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacalusa1 View Post
I sent my SP-01 to Cajun last year for the Pro-Package and had them convert it to SAO, loved it so much most of my CZ are SAO (Tacsport, CZ75 SA, SP-01). About to convert the CZ97 and Shadow2 to SAO when time permits. I’m pretty sure you will love it as much as I do.
Mind sharing a picture of your SP-01 converted to SAO? Would love to see the flat trigger to go with the race hammer
Old 09-14-2018, 10:37 PM

I have a SP-01 Shadow, a 75B SA, and a P-01, all with Cajun parts. The Shadow is my main competition gun, and the trigger is as close to perfect as any I have ever felt, including on custom 1911s. The stock trigger in the 75B SA honestly wasn’t bad - if I didn’t have the Shadow first. I removed the FPB and decided to see how close I could get it to the Shadow on my own. After some work and a bunch of Cajun parts it’s very good, I would say 85-90% as good as the Shadow. These both have the flat trigger.

The stock trigger on the P-01 was not great, but after the Pro Carry job it’s terrific. This is my only DA/SA gun, and the DA is so good that several people have commented they prefer it to the SA pull. The take-up that the FPB requires becomes pretty invisible when you’re shooting fast.

Personally, I see no reason to disable the DA on a SP-01 with a safety, since you can run the gun from cocked and locked with the DA still there. If it was not being carried, I would remove the FPB.

As for DIY, go for it, UNLESS you’re dealing with a de- cocker model. Re-assembling the sear cage on the decocker guns is a terrible, humbling, humiliating experience. I would tear down every gun I own before I would take the sear cage out of my P-01 even once more.

You should also just accept that this is your first of many, many CZs. I went from none to 3 pistols and 2 rifles in about 9 months.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-15-2018, 4:51 AM

For the hammer removal/install, to avoid doing so, you could just ordered a hammer strut ($9) with the hammer and put a note to ask CGW to install the hammer on the strut. There is no extra charge for the installation and I have confirmed with them via email about this.
Old 09-15-2018, 9:25 AM

Thank you all.

Are there any filing/fitting required on any Cajun parts just to make the trigger work as designed?

Also, what would be the effect if none of the required parts are polished? Grittier trigger feel or just a bit heavier?
Old 09-15-2018, 10:02 AM

For the hammer pins, I used the CGW starter punch. It is a very tight friction fit. Its not hard as long as your aim with a hammer is decent and you have a good workbench to support the hammering. It does take effort, it ain't no roll pin.

Had I known the option existed to order an inexpensive strut and have it installed at CGW, I may have done that. If I install the kit in another gun later, I might just do that.

I did not use a dremel for any additional polishing. For final stuff like that I prefer to shoot the gun a bunch and let these surfaces fit to each other. Initial polishing with the 1000 grit was to minimize machining issues and get the process started. The feed ramp did not need any major work so no extra dremel work there either
Old 09-15-2018, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Mind sharing a picture of your SP-01 converted to SAO? Would love to see the flat trigger to go with the race hammer
It has the slight curve SAO trigger not flat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D869F1A3-4D7B-4BFF-BDB0-BFFDBEE38E19.jpg (16.6 KB, 79 views)
Old 09-15-2018, 5:18 PM

Heres a better pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0137EC10-BDFB-4522-AD5F-A1E68B6D9732.jpg (20.3 KB, 67 views)
Old 09-15-2018, 6:15 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Thank you all.

Are there any filing/fitting required on any Cajun parts just to make the trigger work as designed?

Also, what would be the effect if none of the required parts are polished? Grittier trigger feel or just a bit heavier?
When i tune a CZ pistol these days i shoot it in factory stock config for 500-100 rounds. A factory CZ pistol can smooth out noticeably from shooting it alone. Then if allowable (not everyone has the time or interest) i install the parts before polishing and shoot it a bit. I then go back in and do the polishing on the second pass. I do this to gain as much information as possible but then i do enjoy tinkering with CZs more than some. They way i look at it the tunability of a CZ 75 variant for those doing their own work is a significant part of the enjoyment of owning a CZ.

In my experience working on CZs, each CZ pistol is unique. You can drop the parts into one of them and have a very smooth pistol that requires very little afterward. You can drop the same parts into another CZ of the same model and have a pistol that feels like it still requires allot of work/tuning. With this, i believe that you will need to find out how your specific CZ pistol reacts to the parts and what your personal requirements are for that pistol. Not every CZ owner needs the same level of refinement.

Generally DA trigger weight is most influenced by the hammer spring weight. While SA trigger weight is a product of the specific hammer installed along with a few other things.

While generally most CGW parts are drop in, you can encounter some cases with some CZs where minor fitting is required. Again this is a product of how different CZs can be internally from one another. The CGW parts and many other custom parts are designed to cover the greatest range of CZ out there while still archiving the goal the parts are designed for.

Here are links to a few guides that are worth reading in my opinion. I have been back to these guides more times than i can count.

Smoothing the Action Part polishing.
https://czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=42537.0

CZ Tuning 101 with Professor Atlas One of the best CZ safety model tuning guides that i have found.
https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/1...ofessor-atlas/

Preparation and research can go a long way to making your CZ tuning experience more enjoyable.

Last edited by Tok36; 09-15-2018 at 6:54 PM..
Old 09-15-2018, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Heres a better pic
Nice! I really want SAO now. In terms of pricing, how much more is it to compare with the pro-package with CGW installation?
Old 09-15-2018, 7:01 PM

A lot less expensive. You can keep the springs and only change the trigger, hammer and sear.
Old 09-15-2018, 7:03 PM

You do need a spacer to delete the FPB and I’d recommend changing the trigger pin and firing pin roll pin. CGW has all the parts.
Old 09-15-2018, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tok36 View Post
When i tune a CZ pistol these days i shoot it in factory stock config for 500-100 rounds. A factory CZ pistol can smooth out noticeably from shooting it alone. Then if allowable (not everyone has the time or interest) i install the parts before polishing and shoot it a bit. I then go back in and do the polishing on the second pass. I do this to gain as much information as possible but then i do enjoy tinkering with CZs more than some. They way i look at it the tunability of a CZ 75 variant for those doing their own work is a significant part of the enjoyment of owning a CZ.

In my experience working on CZs, each CZ pistol is unique. You can drop the parts into one of them and have a very smooth pistol that requires very little afterward. You can drop the same parts into another CZ of the same model and have a pistol that feels like it still requires allot of work/tuning. With this, i believe that you will need to find out how your specific CZ pistol reacts to the parts and what your personal requirements are for that pistol. Not every CZ owner needs the same level of refinement.

Generally DA trigger weight is most influenced by the hammer spring weight. While SA trigger weight is a product of the specific hammer installed along with a few other things.

While generally most CGW parts are drop in, you can encounter some cases with some CZs where minor fitting is required. Again this is a product of how different CZs can be internally from one another. The CGW parts and many other custom parts are designed to cover the greatest range of CZ out there while still archiving the goal the parts are designed for.

Here are links to a few guides that are worth reading in my opinion. I have been back to these guides more times than i can count.

Smoothing the Action Part polishing.
https://czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=42537.0

CZ Tuning 101 with Professor Atlas One of the best CZ safety model tuning guides that i have found.
https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/1...ofessor-atlas/

Preparation and research can go a long way to making your CZ tuning experience more enjoyable.
Thanks for the info and links.

If I just purchase the old style trigger and race hammer and keep the springs etc bone stock, what would be the effect?
Old 09-15-2018, 8:35 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Thanks for the info and links.

If I just purchase the old style trigger and race hammer and keep the springs etc bone stock, what would be the effect?
The trigger swap may allow some gain in comfort of shooting. The over-travle set scerw will allow some reduction in the triggers travel after the SA break. Be sure to follow the included trigger instructions, if the OT set scerw is over adjusted the pistol can take cumulative damage from the sear rubbing on the hammer hooks while shooting.

The race hammer will remove most if not all of the factory creep from the SA pull as well as reducing the weight/stacking of the SA pull due to the difference in geometry in comparison to the factory hammer. It also looks cool. Edit to add info: The CGW adjustable sear is a part you may also want to consider picking up. It allows you to avoid the process of fitting the sear/safety lever to regain proper safety function. While fitting the sear/safety is not technically hard it can take multiple passes to accomplish correctly.

As i see it the race/comp style hammers offer some of the greatest gains possible out of the available upgrade parts. For the price, hammer and recoil springs are high on the list. I would also suggest picking up a CGW floating trigger pin due to it increasing the ease of disassembly/reassembly. The factory trigger pin is flared on the ends and generally requires a starter punch to remove. The factory trigger pin can be hard to reuse due to its design.

SP Starter Punch
https://cajungunworks.com/product/sp...starter-punch/

Last edited by Tok36; 09-16-2018 at 6:51 PM..
Old 09-16-2018, 7:38 AM

Quote:
Nice! I really want SAO now. In terms of pricing, how much more is it to compare with the pro-package with CGW installation?
I believe it was $150 difference from installing Pro-Package yourself compare to sending it out to Cajun. The money I didn’t mind but it was getting on Cajun waiting list, then once they got your pistol it took another 8-10 weeks for them to complete. It took awhile for you to get your pistol back but well worth it when it comes back. You can save money and time by doing it yourself though.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:40 PM

Thank you all again. I've decided to send it in to CGW instead. All packaged up and ready to go by the end of the day. I just have to decide what I want now, either pro package or SAO conversion.

I spoke with Scott @ CGW and was advised that there is not much price difference between the Pro Package and SAO Conversion. I'm not sure how accurate that statement is.

To get a decent SAO conversion, do all the Pro package components need to be installed or it does not really matter since we are eliminating the DA? In addition, I plan to purchase/install the stainless bushing and have my barrel crowned. I've already installed Dawson FO sights on my end.

In terms for best "bang for the buck", what will have a more noticeable and enjoyable trigger for the range, and home defense rotation with other pistols? If unsafe, it may be designated as a range toy. No plans as of right now to compete. I don't even know how to start or join lol

Last edited by ducatiti; 09-17-2018 at 12:51 PM..
Old 09-17-2018, 1:59 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Thank you all again. I've decided to send it in to CGW instead. All packaged up and ready to go by the end of the day. I just have to decide what I want now, either pro package or SAO conversion.

I spoke with Scott @ CGW and was advised that there is not much price difference between the Pro Package and SAO Conversion. I'm not sure how accurate that statement is.

To get a decent SAO conversion, do all the Pro package components need to be installed or it does not really matter since we are eliminating the DA? In addition, I plan to purchase/install the stainless bushing and have my barrel crowned. I've already installed Dawson FO sights on my end.

In terms for best "bang for the buck", what will have a more noticeable and enjoyable trigger for the range, and home defense rotation with other pistols? If unsafe, it may be designated as a range toy. No plans as of right now to compete. I don't even know how to start or join lol

With the CZ75 variants, there is not much of a difference parts wise between an SAO and a DA/SA configuration. To take a DA/SA and convert it to SAO all that is required is to remove the disconector and change out the DA/SA style trigger for an SAO style trigger. For clarity one part is removed from the equation.

As far as safety goes you can have CGW set up your CZ to your liking. I suggest discussing your concerns with CGW. They have allot of experience assisting customers in deciding what best fits their needs. I did this my self long ago when i sent out my first CZ to have CGW do the full pro package work on it.
Old 09-17-2018, 2:13 PM

Default Pro Package

I got the Pro-Package done with SAO conversion, that’s the way to go. I believe it’s just one part left out of installation.
Old 09-17-2018, 2:20 PM

I had the Pro Package installed by Josh at Applied Kinetics and it didn't take months to get back and it shoots great!
Old 09-17-2018, 3:49 PM

Quote:
I got the Pro-Package done with SAO conversion, that’s the way to go. I believe it’s just one part left out of installation.
Did you have your firing pin block removed?

Guys, if the FP block is removed, what's the part called that needs to be installed accordingly?

edit: is the part called a spacer?
Old 09-17-2018, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Also, won't be the Pro-Package an overkill since the DA action will be removed anyways?

What advantage would the pro-package provide in addition to the SAO conversion, compared just to removing the disconnector, changing trigger and hammer and some springs?
Old 09-17-2018, 3:54 PM

remember to get 10x bushing installed,10x bushing is not included in the pro package.
Old 09-17-2018, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dummykid View Post
remember to get 10x bushing installed,10x bushing is not included in the pro package.
Got it. Plan to add the stainless bushing and have the barrel crowned.
Old 09-17-2018, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Got it. Plan to add the stainless bushing and have the barrel crowned.
I have stainless bushing on my P01, it looks better than blued one on my SP01. have you tested the SP01 accuracy? if you are spending money on reversed crown, I would test the existing barrel accuracy first.
Old 09-17-2018, 4:27 PM
Veteran Member

Just go all out and do this to your SP-01. You won't regret it. But then again, you won't have a black gun anymore. Good reason to buy another.