Thread: ...
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2016, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron-Solo View Post
Personally, I don't think a 7 year old is really ready for a handgun, but that's just me. Too many things that can go wrong. I started all my grandkids and my kids with rifles between 5-7 years old. I didn't introduce them to handguns until they were about 10. It isn't about handling the recoil, it's about being able to keep it pointed in the right direction, not turning around with it, etc. it's harder to sweep around with a rifle.

Others may disagree, but that's their right. I always err on the side of caution.
One of the more intelligent posts.

Too many parents are so enthusiastic about introducing their kids to guns, they don't think clearly. For a seven year old, a rifle (preferably not semi auto) is wise. I had my nephew safely shoot my Semi-auto Uzi when he was 12. 10-lb. trigger, grip safety, 16" barrel & very little recoil. A semi-auto pistol is NOT a wise choice for a 7 year old. I've seen kids unintentionally fire a Ruger 22 auto when they let their finger get into the trigger guard. A heavier trigger or a single shot or bolt or lever gun would be more forgiving of such errors new shooters make - especially children. I've left the range several times when unsupervised children turn around to look for their stupid father (who wandered away to chat with someone), & the pistol turned with them, sweeping everyone. On one such occasion, I let the "father" know what happened & suggested he stay with his daughter & supervise her. He responded by chuckling "Yeah...she's gotta learn about gun safety...she's quite a gal." I responded, "You're quite an idiot."