View Single Post
Old 04-13-2019, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damon1272 View Post
Just completed the Rifle Marksman course yesterday. Definitely worth attending. Had Mark Iverson for a range master. Very good range master. The pace of the class is much slower than other Front Sight courses but in a good way. I would highly recommend doing this course before Practical Rifle as this is about accuracy. Some recommendations if you choose to take the course.

Caliber - .223 is OK as long as you can shoot 69grn and up. Not worth shooting 55 grn due to wind out there.

.224 Valkarie, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5 Creedmore, and 308 are better.

Know your dopes or have a rough idea out to 350. 50 or 25 yard zero works well for this course. Write down your dope. Can be referenced on the test.

Rifle - Don't bring a heavy rifle. You will suffer off hand at 35 and 50. You may have trouble at 75 & 100 due to not being able to use a rest. Under 10 lbs is a good weight.
Shoot your rifle before you go!. More than 500 rounds. Saw guys fight extraction issues and ejection issues because they didn't try their gear before they went.

Scope - 4x power and up is good. Can be done with a 3x9 but higher magnification is a plus. Just want the lower magnification at 35 and 50. I was able to do it with 6.5x but it sucked. Make sure your stock fit well and the scope height is right! Have a scope with reference marks as it helps for elevation and windage. This course is all hold over rather than dialing your scope in. Have a level. Helps a lot for the longer distances.

Sling - Have a good sling with strong mounts. Watched a 4K+ rifle bounce off the ground. There was a collective ouch by all. Practice with your sling getting into position.

Bi-pod - Have one with feet that will dig into the dirt. Personally I shot off my backpack and had no issues. Actually I liked it better and left the bi-pods off the rifle.

No shooting mats are allowed. Have knee and elbow pads for the gravel. Bring some goggles for real windy days.
Center to center on the large targets is 12". Center target to side target is 7".

0 - 2 down is DG
3-4 down is Graduate
5 or more is Certificate.
Only 18 shots for the final.

Lastly, don't be married to your set up. Be willing to make some changes such as sling position, body position, stock set up, etc.

Planning on making a few minor changes and then trying the class again soon. I learned a lot!
Great writeup. Thank you! I will be taking the course in three weeks. What is the distance you zero the rifles in on during the class. I thought, from previous write-ups it was 100 yards?