View Single Post
Old 10-31-2016, 12:31 PM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankh7 View Post
I've done my due diligence, contacted CA Bureau of Firearms, several local FFL dealers and researched CALGUNS to an answer to the following, with nothing but confusion.

I have several ARs/AK that magically turn into Assault Weapons. Instead of being subjected to registering them as AW, can I drive them over to Arizona and give them to my son an Arizona resident before January 1, 2017?. Both the local FFLs and Bureau of Firearms, said that I could do so and all I had to do was submit a "Notice of No Longer In Possession" form.

If this is correct, am I required to fill out section D (Disposition) on the form. It wants my sons name and contact information. Thanks.
per federal law, it is a felony for a resident of one state to transfer a firearm to a resident of a different without using an FFL to faciltate the transfer. ther is no federal intrafamily exemption to this. any FFL who tells you different is wrong and is setting you, and your son, up for multiple federal felonies.

the legal way to do this is take the firearms to an AZ FFL who logs them into his bound book and then the FFL transfers them out to your son.

you can then fill out section D with the information of the AZ FFL you transfered them to.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.