View Single Post
Old 10-07-2021, 7:52 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodralig View Post
Looking to tap into the collective knowledge of CalGuns…

I edit lots of videos - mostly of social events with friends, family vacations/activities, shooting matches, etc. But with the advent of technology - my current 4-year old rig is crawling when working on 4K raw footages (GoPro, InstaONE, etc.).
  • GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070, 8GB DDR5
  • CPU: i7-7700 3.6GHz
  • HDD: 2TB+M.2 & PCIE 256GB SSD
  • RAM: 16GB (8GB * 2)

Software is either CyberLink’s PowerDirector of Wondershare’s FilmoraX.

Am thinking of going Mac with the M1 chip in the Mini form factor maxing out the RAM to 16GB, 512GB internal HDD and make use of the fast ports of an external HDD (for capacity). Software will either be FCP, Filmora for Mac or maybe DaVinci. But will this be enough? Say, for at least 3~4 years?

Another alternative is to go with a PC, again, in a mini-format. More or less same specs but with the Ryzen 7. I really want to Ryzen 9, but can’t find a bundle that has it, unless I go BYO… which I prefer not going through because I don’t have the luxury of “tinkering/tuning,” etc. (that I had when I was way way younger)…

Any recommendations? Budget is more or less $1,500.

Thanks in advanced!

_
That CPU is ok for now and can be overclocked. I have a pile of them in CAD machines running at 4.5+. You need way more RAM though. Also way more HD space.

You might look into some better software too like Lightworks or Davinici Resolve.