View Single Post
Old 12-12-2020, 6:51 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

https://www.mreinfo.com/mres/mre-shelf-life/
Quote:
Practical Life of MREs

Practically, the darn things last a long, long, time. As long as the individual MRE components aren’t damaged, punctured, (or swelling!), they should still be edible. Some people (on usenet) say that an MRE may lose its flavor or turn an unappetizing color but will still retain all the nutritional value. But other people will say the nutritional value decays over time. Take your pick of opinions. If you want to really be safe, don’t base your nutritional health on 10-year old MREs. But for occasional eating or camping, you’re probably ok.

But how do they really taste? I’ve eaten everything from one month old MREs to 11 year old MREs. While I haven’t been brave enough to try the 10 year old Omlette with Ham, I have tried the 11 year old corned beef hash and the 11 year old ham slice/potatoes au gratin. They were both perfectly yummy (if you like those kinds of foods). The ham slice was nice and tender – more like Hormel’s Tender Chunk Ham. The corned beef hash was like any can of corned beef hash I’ve ever eaten. All the other MRE entrees I’ve tried – from 1994, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002 have all been good – no sort of off-flavors or bad tastes.
No mention of 2010 or later, but no reason I know of to believe later/recent production would have a different shelf life.

If you will need to rely on MREs for weeks, ought to supplement with fiber - https://www.walmart.com/browse/healt...586366_5240691 or siimilar.

A single MRE might have 5 g of fiber (might be just 3); that's a feature for hard-exercising soldiers. But,
Quote:

You probably know that fiber is important to good health, but do you know if you are getting enough?

Most Americans aren't. The average adult only eats 15 grams of fiber per day.

Women need 25 grams of fiber per day, and men need 38 grams per day, according to the Institute of Medicine.
so you might want to supplement 20-30 g per day.

Last edited by Librarian; 12-12-2020 at 7:17 PM..