View Single Post
Old 07-20-2020, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacrat View Post
Major problem being, that he IS NOT A NEUTRAL ARBITER, of the ORIGINAL INTENT of the CONSTITUTION, as written. Which is what the job of Chief Justice entails.
The job of the Supreme Court is to decide cases. Cases are decided based on facts and on the law. So the law is only a part of what his job entails. Furthermore, interpreting the law has many sources. The black letter of the law, the understanding of the language of the law, the original intent of the law, and quite a few other sources. Claiming that the Supreme Court is only about the "original intent of the constitution" ignores 90% of 95% of what goes into court decisions. The Supreme Court is considerably more than a photocopy machine for records of the intent of the framers, such as the federalist papers or their letters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncivil Engineer View Post
Don't assume they are rational. Sure they would list their minds of RBG kicked but I'm not sure the Senate would be able to over come a filibuster I'm sure we would see.
Speaking of the republican senators, we have to remember that there is an election coming up in a few months. Given the polarization of the electorate, and the likely turnout, the outcome of the election is quite uncertain, and in particular it is unlikely to be a republican landslide. Quite a few of those republican senators are vulnerable right now. If they ram through a unpopular Supreme Court nominee in the next few months, that might be the end of their political career, and of the republican majority in the senate. In particular if it gets turned into a media spectacle, with blue slips and filibusters. My reading of the tea leaves is: If the appointment of a justice were to become necessary, it would be deferred until after the election.