Thread: Guide tipping
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2022, 11:42 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepergeo View Post
There are a lot of factors to consider.

Is the guide the owner of the service and are you hunting their land? If yes to both, they are keeping the entire fee, so tips are optional. The owner sets rates and should not expect a tip, but no doubt would appreciate one.

If the guide is the service owner but the hunt is on a hunt lease, then consider a tip since the guide will be sharing fees with the lessor. Perhaps 10%.

If the guide is working for the service, then the guide is making little and the tip is sort of expected and customary. Perhaps 15-20%.

Tips are a great way to say thank you for a great hunt. IMHO, the tip should be based on the quality of the hunt, not the success of the hunt...the two are different things entirely.

Cash is king. A gift of a nice knife or set of binoculars might seem like a good way to tip, but your guide likely already has that gear and would likely appreciate the universal green cash.

I had a great guided deer hunt but came up with no deer for the freezer. I tipped the owner guide 20% because he worked his tail off for me even though it was on his land.

I had a great boar hunt with the same guide for me and my son, and my son got valuable life hunting lessons from a real pro and a nice hog. The owner guide on a hunt lease was tipped 20%.

I have hunted about six times with this guide and by taking good care of him he has taken great care of me and my guests.

On another boar hunt, with another outfitter, the guide was not what I would call a people person and he pushed too hard for shots that were too marginal at 300+ yards in low light. He was the owner on leased land. I added 5% to the fee as a courtesy and left a $100 bill in the cabin that his wife took care of. The hunt quality was marginal and the guide tempermental. His vehicle was littered with lead based ammo and a few were in the caliber I was using. When I saw those, they got tossed as they could be an issue with F&W. A guide should have known better.

Jeepergeo,

Any boar hunt guides you would recommend? If so, please PM with contact information. Your help is much appreciated.