View Single Post
Old 05-15-2019, 9:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrappedinCalifornia View Post
A word of caution...

If you're thinking about plinking/target shooting while camping, be aware that you're talking about August in Northern California. That means things are likely to be dry and the Forest Service (along with other agencies) may implement some restrictions in an effort to avoid wildfires. Such restrictions would/could include shooting.

As an example, here's an example of one of the 'smaller' 2018 fires in that neck of the woods last here - the Hat Fire. I can't find a link for the cause, but if I remember correctly, there was some discussion about the possibility of it being the result of shooting given the rather close proximity of the rifle range to the ignition point.

Such restrictions would be in addition to the standing ones; which include more than what you've noted. In other words, the regional supervisor has the authority to implement restrictions if/when they feel it necessary/prudent.

I know some people who live in that area (including several who lost homes) and, after the Carr and Camp Fires last year (along with the smaller, lesser reported ones such as the Hat Fire), they are, understandably, a bit skittish about fires right now. Even though many in that part of the State are open-minded about shooting, this is May. You're talking about being there in August when it is, generally, hot and dry. So, bear in mind that 'carrying' is one thing. 'Shooting' is something else, even if not 'officially' restricted.
Oh, absolutely. I have absolutely zero plans for target shooting/plinking. This is strictly to have with me in case it is needed sort of thing. I would much rather just spend my time exploring our beautiful NorCal wilderness; it's been far too long since I've gotten out of my little city (I was born in and grew up in Humboldt, and I have family all over Humboldt, Trinity, and Shasta counties), and I need the mountains and lakes and forests. I am an author by trade, so I spend almost all of my time plugged in to a computer, and it's damaging my zen. However, a bear attack or especially ornery bipedal intruder would damage my zen even more, and while I will have a hand axe with me, I'd rather have something a little more effective against things other than kindling and underbrush.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrappedInCalifornia
ETA: I see you posted while I was composing this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCornwell
I have absolutely zero plans for any recreational shooting.
That's a safe start. Just bear in mind that if shooting becomes restricted, the restriction could include the carry of firearms.
Yup! I plan on talking to the ranger's HQ in Weaverville before we embark.

Last edited by BrandonCornwell; 05-15-2019 at 9:22 AM..