View Single Post
Old 09-07-2019, 12:24 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess B. Guy View Post
I go to about 7 NRA dinners each year. Haven't had any rubber steaks or dried chicken. Food is usually pretty good. The money from the dinners goes to shooting sports. No political speeches (other than table conversation). The auctions are fun (can be expensive though), and the comradery is great.
Friends of NRA website has all the info you need.
As he says, the money raised at the dinners goes towards local shooting sports cause, groups and projects. The Boy Scouts, other youth groups and shooting clubs are eligible for grants to improve their programs or facilities. Our club's youth program (a 503c organization) has gotten funds to host youth pheasant hunts and shooting clinics.

As I help cook for our dinner - all the food is donated by our club to improve the profits of the event - I can say there is no rubber steak or dried chicken. We start the night before with smoking beef brisket with red oak all night long. Appetizers including deep fried turkey are served during the games. Dinner starts with a huge salad bar. Dinner includes the brisket, home made baked beans, green beans with mushrooms, bacon and onions, rolls and the starch varies between mac and cheese, au gratin potatoes or rice pilaf. Sometimes grilled shrimp is included with the dinner. Cheesecake is usually the desert. We get rave reviews for our food.