View Single Post
Old 05-13-2022, 11:43 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

You'll normally get a notice in the mail.

Camera violations are normally reviewed by an officer before the notice is sent. There has been a lot of litigation surrounding the use of the cameras, I've tried to follow the state of the law, but not as closely as I used to when I was working. I'd recommend doing some web research into the current state of the law.

Here's a couple of points to keep in mind:

1) There is no law violated by being the Registered Owner of a vehicle that is used to commit a traffic violation. California defines traffic infractions as "Crimes" (please refer to Penal Code section 16). One of the required elements of proof is that the person charged was the same person as was driving the vehicle at the time.

2) A lot of folks mis-believe that this makes it impossible to prosecute a camera violation. The point must be proved, but that can be done in many ways. It may be a simple as introducing the defendant's DL photo (those are digitized and are readily available to LEOs) and the driver's photo from the camera.

3) The likely violation to be charged from a "Red Light Camera" is Vehicle Code section 21453(a). That section requires a driver to stop behind the limit line when facing a red light. It's only necessary for the camera to show that the front of your vehicle was over the line at the time the light turned to red. It's legally irrelevant whether or not your vehicle proceeded through the intersection while the light was red.