View Single Post
Old 07-24-2021, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatt511 View Post
I too am retired LEO. I also let anyone who has stopped me know: 1. I am armed, 2. location of my weapon and 3. and request his/her advice as to how I provide creds and comply with any of his/her requests. To play games with keeping silent and not disclosing to protect your 4th amendment rights (rplaw, you might want to look that up), is playing a potentially dangerous game. You set the tone for the stop, not the officer. Play games, and if I or my partner saw you carrying concealed without disclosing, you may have found a gun screwed in your ear for my protection. I started in 1980, so I'm a bit old school in my training. After that, you'd likely lose any consideration, be cited and then have a message dropped to your issuing agency.
Carrying concealed without disclosing isn't necessarily illegal. There are lots of CA CCW's issued that don't require disclosure. If you are so afraid of citizens exercising their constitutional rights, why did you take a job as an officer and swear an oath to uphold the Constitution?

You say the gun in the ear would be for your protection so I will take you on your word for that. Why the loss of consideration and the message to the issuing agency? Is that just to teach them a lesson for not following your made up rule?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatt511 View Post
Why risk a potentially minor situation escalating into a potentially dangerous one? Despite what some may have intimated here, not all coppers are AHs. Some of us are actually pretty good guys.
That goes both ways. If I know I am stopped for a minor traffic violation why would I bring a gun into it? Maybe the officer then wants to get me out of the vehicle and disarm me. That seems more dangerous than not saying anything, getting my ticket and being on my way.

I know not all cops are AHs, in fact I believe the vast majority are not. If the cop is not an AH then he won't retaliate by giving me a ticket he wouldn't normally give me and contacting my issuing agency just because I didn't follow some imaginary rule to disclose. If he is an AH and I tell him I have a gun he might escalate the situation.

Last edited by pepsi2451; 07-24-2021 at 2:48 PM..