Thread: Ammo Question
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2021, 9:15 AM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharedShots View Post

As for not buying bulk stored ammo not in factory boxes, if you are buying ammo from a private party you have no idea if it was all stored mumbo jumbo and put into boxes for the same. 115 grain 9mm could be put into boxes marked 124 grain or vice versa. Boxes are nice but rather meaningless unless it comes from a store you can go back to if something goes awry.
If you buy from reputable sellers it less of a concern. If you are buying enough ammo or from somebody where it is a concern, pulling and weighing a bullet takes seconds. You can also examine headstamps pretty quick, and usually the general appearance of the box and ammo can say a lot.

And it is hard to come up with 10, 20 or 50 pristine empty factory boxes that are the exact same if you just happen years later to decide you want to sell a thousand rounds and try and fool somebody.

For some ammo, the amount of room you save is minimal. 12/20ga shotgun shells for example - may as well just keep those in the factory packaging.

I get why people would bag and dump ammo, sure it may save a little room - but I'm not the one buying it later when you move out of a caliber or sell the gun. If you have $500 worth of ammo to store that is one thing, maybe the hit you take is no big deal. But if you have $20,000 in ammo and your plan is to dump it into bulk containers and throw away the factory packaging... well seriously wth are you thinking.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 09-18-2021 at 9:21 AM..