View Single Post
Old 10-21-2022, 7:01 AM
-DVC- Mojave Lever Crew
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by prophei View Post

Great point... and to be clear, I wasn't wanting that because I want to rush or anything. I am very measured when I learn new things. Especially things related to firearms.

My thinking was more thinking about down the line, once I have my chops. Was wondering if it would be cost effective to just get one from the start.

Either way, I'll take your advice!

I understand what you're saying.

A single-stage press will always have value. It can be used in addition to any other type of press, for things like pulling bullets from handloads that other people have made and with with you'd like to use the components to build your own charges and/or your own bullets.

A turret press is simply a fancy single stage, allowing for die changes in less time, so there's that.

Although I've never set up and run a progressive press, it is my humble opinion that anyone who'd like to should first learn each step of the process *by hand*, using a single- or a turret press. Too, "historical" cartridges such as the .32-20 have brass that may be considered fragile to the reloading process. The cartridge deserves the tender ministrations of those who use the single-stage press with care and consideration.

NRA Lifetime | Avatar courtesy Elon Musk's Twitter User SomthingWicked