View Single Post
Old 08-24-2019, 4:47 AM

Default Considering rebarrel (Marlin XS7 in .308) to 6.5CM

It's currently a hunting barrel and while it does that job alright, even with premium ammunition I have trouble getting any consistent one inch groups. After a fair bit of research, it seems .308 really can't do anything that 6.5CM can't do. I have all the reloading stuff for both. My partner has a Savage model 10 in .308 so my reloading gear won't be wasted. I already have a 6.5CM but it's pretty heavy and I really don't relish the idea of lugging it around in the field. I've already put the marlin in a new stock (though I would need to ream out the barrel channel to put a heavier barrel in it).

Is there any reason not to chamber it in 6.5CM? For one thing, the bullets are cheaper (.264 < .307) though that'll take time to repay. But with a decent quality barrel (and the XS7 can supposedly take a Savage model 10 barrel with minimal gunsmithing), I could get a pretty decent hunting rifle that can also shoot target worthy groups, without weighing nearly as much as my Howa HCR.

I know the marlin is cheap. But so far the action is great, and I actually really like the trigger. Even with the stock and barrel I'm still well below $1000. Gunsmithing might put it around there though.

This is what inspired me to post (same price regardless of chambering), but I would consider other manufacturers and this has been on my mind for a while.

https://www.eabco.net/EABCO-Accuracy...e_p_15624.html

https://www.eabco.net/EABCO-Accuracy...e_p_15630.html

The beautiful beast that probably shouldn't go hunting.

Mine is on top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I want gay married couples to be able to protect their marijuana plants with guns." -Unknown (possibly Tim Moen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allhailflintlocks View Post
Gun owners need to be the new illegals - undocumented firearm possessors if you will.
Legislator "logic":
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezrat View Post
Before long, the Feds via A.D.A. will probably require manufacturers to include Braille markings to accommodate blind shooters.....

Last edited by Exdc; 08-24-2019 at 4:54 AM..