View Single Post
Old 10-26-2009, 7:57 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpants View Post
Which I first took to mean that while LOC is legal at my campsite, discharging my firearm is not. On further reading it seems that shooting is prohibited at any designated public campground. So if my campsite is not within a campground (and in an area where shooting is not otherwise prohibited) I can legally shoot.

I suggest making a semantic distinction by changing the second quoted instance of 'campsite' to 'campground' - unless of course I'm wrong and this is even more complicated than I think it is.
The term "Campsite" is the term used in both the PC for the temporary residence exemption, and also in the CFR for the shooting prohibition. I don't think the CFR is clear on the definition of "campsite", as to whether it means designated campground or not, but I will try to determine that. It may just be one of those gray areas that is not well defined.

I see what you are saying. If "campsite" in the CFR means any undesignated campsite, then you cannot shoot, but 12031 doesn't apply because of the residence exemption. Odd combination of loaded but no shooting.

ETA: "Campsite" is not defined. "Camping" is, and "developed area" is. And the term "designated" is sometimes used in the code with "campsite" although not defined. What does all this mean? IMO it means "campsite" means just what we think it does: anywhere a person is camping, anywhere a person pitches a tent or parks a camper or lays a sleeping bag. Does this mean we can't shoot there if it's our own undesignated campsite out in the boonies? IMO the code likely was not intended to apply there, and you are likely not going to have any problems shooting there. Now if you were shooting within 150 yards of somebody else's campsite I think you'd be in trouble, but this falls into the area of common sense.

FYI from CFR 36 1.4 (a)

Quote:
Camping means the erecting of a tent or shelter of natural or synthetic material, preparing a sleeping bag or other bedding material for use, parking of a motor vehicle, motor home or trailer, or mooring of a vessel for the apparent purpose of overnight occupancy.
Quote:
Developed area means roads, parking areas, picnic areas, campgrounds, or other structures, facilities or lands located within development and historic zones depicted on the park area land management and use map.

Last edited by MudCamper; 10-26-2009 at 9:16 AM..