View Single Post
Old 08-13-2019, 7:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
If dropping it caused it to loosen, you likely have a neck tension problem with ALL of your rounds loaded with the same brass/dies.
Reloaders have become tensioners, they are infatuated with neck tension; problem, they have no way to measure tension in pounds etc. etc., I am beginning to believe they use the word tension to impress others.

I use bullet hold, I want all the bullet hold I can get. I measure bullet hold in pounds. I have tension gages, problem, my tension gages do not measure in tensions they measure in pounds.

Many years ago Lyman claimed crimping the neck of bottle neck cases could be a bad habit. They claimed crimping could reduce bullet hold; remember, that was before the invention of the Internet and all reloaders becoming experts.

So? When you started you were using tension to hold your bullet, you did not know how much tension because there is no gage made to measure tension. That leaves a little, just right? or too much

Lyman claimed crimping bottle neck cases could be a bad habit; I have said it is impossible to move the shoulder back when sizing. Reloaders insist they can move the shoulder back and they also claim they can bump it back by pumping. I have insisted I can not bump the shoulder of a case back with a die that has full case body support. I understand there are many reloaders that do not have a clue; the seating die does not have any case body support, that includes no support for the shoulder and or neck, meaning when over crimping the neck is shoved down. When the neck is shoved down there is no place for the shoulder and case body to go but out and that is the reason crimping could be a bad habit.

Spinning bullets in the neck can be caused by crimping, I can not pull bullets without effort, I have placed crimps on bottle neck cases that exceeded the ability of Hornady's collet bullet pullers to pull.

F. Guffey