View Single Post
Old 11-06-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garand Hunter View Post
In the first Chapter of the Gospel of John, is the phrase : " And we beheld His Glory full of grace and truth. " I want to set forth a insight I considered when going over and over the part, full of grace and truth. I would like to say that Jesus IS Grace and Truth personified in the flesh. More than a religious concept but actually Grace and Truth in your face. Up close and personal. What say you Bros ?

I will outta town for two weeks on my annual pilgrammage to Wyoming and to Nebraska, antelopen and bambis starting tomoro the 5th of nov. I'll check in if I can.

Psalm 1
Jn1:14 And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we saw His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth.

Great verse! Remember that John 1:1-18 summarize the Gospel of John. 1:14-18 summarize 1:1-18! These verses are all about the 1st coming of Christ and the purpose of that coming.

V.14 shows us Christ's incarnation after John 1:1-5 showing us that Christ is the Word. This is emphasized by "and dwelt among us." This was not just a Christophony like we see in the Old Testament.

The verse continues by telling us that we (royal "we" - not just John, Peter, and James saw) saw His glory. Yes, in His incarnation, we saw more of God's glory revealed than ever before in human history since the fall. But, John has already constrained His glory by first telling us that this glory was seen while Christ was in "the flesh" - in His setting aside of His full glory per Phil 2:5-9 and John 17:1). So, John focuses us in the aspects of His glory that are most important in salvation - Grace and Truth. The Bible teaches that salvation is wholly by believing God’s truth in the gospel, by which one receives His saving grace. Grace and truth in the gospel!

Remember how this gospel ends! Jn20:31 but these have been written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing you may have life in His name.

Yes, Jesus Christ is "truth" as someone pointed out in John 14:6. But, grace is a different issue. Grace is unmerited favor. We get grace instead of justice when we are saved. Grace has to do with our guilt. Christ isn't grace, but He enables us to enjoy the grace of God when we are saved.

You'd enjoy: 1 Cor. 1:30 But by His doing you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, and righteousness and sanctification, and redemption,

You'd also enjoy all the "I am" statements of John's Gospel!

These and others tell us who Christ is and who He is to us!

"Unless I am convinced by Scripture and plain reason- I do not accept the authority of popes and councils [i.e. any man]- my conscience is captive to the Word of God." Martin Luther