View Single Post
Old 08-28-2022, 1:56 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Searching just on 'marketplace' this is the 22nd post in this thread since 2014 asking for a geographic split. Popular idea.

Now, here's what a member posting in the marketplace forums gets:

Note that 'location' reminders are in both the title and the content.

There are 7 main Marketplace forums. A simple split into North/South would give us 14, not 7.

Where, exactly, is the dividing line between North and South? How do we get members to agree? What do we do about members who post in both North and South?

We can't get members posting in the marketplace to read the default prompts and answer the questions to give us any location. Some don't even change the title to show what it is they might be selling. We can't consistently get posters to obey the bump rule (a lot of threads do get locked or deleted because of that, and yes, mods can see the oh-so-cute 'delete the 3 o'clock post and post again at 4 o'clock' schtick.)

Did you know that just the Handguns marketplace has had over 280 new posts Aug 27 through the first 2 hours of August 28?

Did you know that there are 20 listed volunteer unpaid moderators - listed at the bottom of a forum page - some of whom are retired, and most of the others (possibly excepting me) have lives outside of Calguns?

Did you know Calguns is running vBulletin Version 3.8.11? It's displayed at the very bottom of the forum pages. That's from 2016, and vBulletin says There's no support for anything modifying this version; yes, a new version has been considered - keeping some features that exist in this modified instance of 3.8 is a holdup.

Latest vBulletin is 5.6.8.

At this point, I don't think Kestryll could even hire someone to make any significant changes to the forum software.

Me? I think some kind of application that talks to the Calguns database and enforces the rules before allowing a sale post is the closest to an answer we might get.

TL;DR?

1) The software is old and fragile

2) There will never be enough moderators to read and 'fix' - even if that were possible - badly formed sale posts
Outstanding...

Any way to make that required reading before anyone opens the Marketplace?

Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

A man's soul can be judged by the way he treats his dog. Charles Doran