View Single Post
Old 01-08-2023, 9:01 PM

Default PPT Fees for 2022?

Foreword; I will not be "outing" any of the FFL's that may be referenced in this post. Given that I am now an FFL myself (not fully established, still working on DOJ certifications), this is to serve as a Q/A for educational purposes.

I was at a gun show this past weekend (San Bernardino) and was amazed at some of the prices I was seeing for PPT's. The lowest I could find was $75, but the average was $80 - $90. I was unable to find a buyer for two firearms I was selling at this show, because nobody wanted to pay ~$75 to transfer a $150 rifle, and I honestly don't blame them.

It was my understanding that the legal MAXIMUM that an FFL can charge for a PPT between two individuals in-person was $47.19 ($37.19 State Fee + $10 Dealer Fee), plus $10 per additional firearm on the same DROS entry. When I asked what the breakdown was, I was told that these additional ~$20 fees were for storage, paperwork, etc.

I know that there is no maximum fee that an FFL can charge for an out of state transfer to a CA resident, but it I'm under the impression that in-state is a maximum of $10 per firearm on top of state fees.

Since I am a new FFL, I would appreciate any input on the legalities surrounding this. I'm only going to charge the $47.19 (plus $10 per additional) when my license is fully established, but I don't want to call anyone out if I'm mistaken.