Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   New to Calguns? Check here first! (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Welcome to Calguns! (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=56576)

Toxicity927 03-11-2015 9:35 PM

Hi everyone

Gil_MKiii 03-11-2015 10:40 PM

Welcome to Calguns!

I bid farewell to this thread with a thanks for the welcome and a picture of my first, but not last gun. I happened upon a 1979 Remington 870 Wingmaster in the classifieds. Mag extension, AIM quad rail (not pictured pending modifications), Magpul furniture. I removed the black Magpul in favor of the earth tone furniture.

Ordered pending installation are a Nordic shell follower, Scattergun Tech (WC) oversized safety.

Before (modified fore end for the quad rail)
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...ps5rrfokbu.jpg

Currently (awaiting quad rail mods)
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...psr7t2azvf.jpg

Sent from a pay phone in 1985

NeKro13 03-12-2015 10:27 PM

Good Evening everyone!

I was on this site years ago (Username nekro; wouldn't let me post so made a new UN) but just recently came back on.

Im 27, was a MP in the Army and now am currently working for the Bureau of Federal Prison's in Los Angeles.

I Currently 2 pistols that I CC; Glock19 and Shield.
I have a SKS that my dad got me for my 18th birthday.
I am looking to finally picking up a AR15 within the near future.

Figured this is the right place to look around and read some information on AR's and weapons in general.

jayteezzy 03-12-2015 11:56 PM

Welcome to Calguns!

Hey what's up everyone!
My names Jose/JT I'm a bit new to the community/owning my own gun. I've been around guns just never had my own since December I got myself a nice old school taurus .38 special my gramps left behind for me when he passed away and just purchased in January a Glock 23 and just started building an AR . I'll try and post up some pics and build thread later as progress comes :) anyways just wanna say hi and I'm here to make new friends and get out there more in this awesome gun community

P.s I'm a SoCal resident

jonbek 03-14-2015 10:34 AM

<=- New user here, new AR owner as well. Looking forward to the community here and the interaction.

Voro 03-14-2015 3:21 PM

Yet another new user, and hopefully an owner in a few weeks. I'm still dreading the prospect of having to call every gun store in a 50 mile radius to find what I'd like for a starting pistol (once I have my FSC), but we'll see what happens.

ToddtheTyrant 03-16-2015 5:39 PM

Greetings All. Not new to guns - just new to the area.

Chef.Smith1975 03-17-2015 11:35 PM

Howdy!

Hello everyone, I just registered today after lurking around for about two years now. My name is Chris Smith, from Livermore (Far East Bay!) I met a gentleman in Sacramento at the SVSC a few years back that told me about you guys. I checked y’all out, but didn’t really stick around too much. A brief story about me… I’ve been a chef for almost 20 years, and as a result I became an alcoholic over those years. This past October, I was starting to lose control of life and by the grace of God I was called out by the private catholic school I was the “Lunch Lady” at. Oh, I am a male, it was our joke there. Lol. Anyways, I called Kaiser and admitted myself into their day treatment program. A two month course that got to the root of my problems and am glad to say I have reached 150 days of Sobriety today. No relapses. Cravings of course, but I gave myself a goal. As a child, I always bugged my dad about shooting this .308 he brought back from the Army, just as Vietnam started. He was lucky to have been drafted prior to it, and was in the Army Corp of Engineers, building infrastructure in Thailand. Anyways, finally when I was 13, he let me shoot that rifle and that was my first bit of my first addiction and passion. I’d go to school with bruises on my check as the check rest liked to punch me often! So, at 14 we got a Marlin Model 60, at 16 we got the Ruger 10/22. At 17 I got my 30/30. By 20, I was in culinary school, drinking heavily and stopped shooting. Alcohol and guns never mixed. Even with a hangover, I enjoyed waking up and wouldn’t cross the two. If you do, please don’t. That just sets a stigmata for us responsible rednecks who respect our rights and privileges for good fun. Good lord, we’re not Derek “Tex” Grebner! Oh wait, he was sober by most accounts. Serpas do kill! Anyways, my goal for sobriety was to get shooting again. My 30/30 is my baby. She is the prettiest girl out there, and shows her affection with each squeeze! My 10/22 is my heart and soul. Shooting the little guy makes me smile like I was 16 opening that box on Christmas Day. The Marlin 60 and I have had a odd relationship. I’ll get to that in a few, as I have just completed open heart surgery, and that guy is back to his youth again! So, I just returned from Grants Pass Oregon this morning. I brought the 10/22 and the 30/30 to Josephine County Sportsman Association Range. If you have not been go. Call in sick to work. Do whatever it takes to get there, if you’re in the rut of Bay Area Rifle Ranges. 8 ranges. Cowboy Action town set up. Sight in range with 25 to 100 yard targets. 100 and 200 yard targets on the range next to that. 600 yard range, say hi to the camel, just up the hill. Big Bore Pistols were singing Sunday morning. 10 yard to 50 yard Pistol Course. Police and Military stage courses. 2 other skeet ranges. Everyone was treated as adults. No range master breathing down your neck. If you had someone else on your course, you simply said, “hey, ready to check targets?” “Yes?” Flip the red lights on, walk down range, do what you need and act as the adults we are. The range master was present, just over saw and let us prove ourselves. One gentleman let me shoot his .338 Lapua! Really? I need one! Got $6k for a quick loan? I brought along the new members of my family, my .300 Win Mag and my 9mm. First handgun ever, just picked up in December! I spent 2 days, 10 hours and $14 to shoot both days! After 40 30/30 rounds, 20 .300 WM rounds, 200 9 mm rounds and 400 .22 rounds… my shoulder threw in the towel! I’ve struggled with our ranges here. We’re adults damnit. When given the opportunity, people do exceed expectations! This is coming from someone who thought 3 Days no liquor would kill me. When I wake up, 151 days. Thank you for allowing me into the family here!

OH yeah, the ral question here! Marlin 60, .22 LR. Last time I shot it I was 18 or so. 21 years later, may dad asks me to clean it for him. He said it was jamming. I asked who cleaned it last, he said you. That was 21 years ago! The Hammer Spring was bent. It felt like there was sand piper wrapped around the action. I gave it a standard cleaning and brought it to his property in Alameda County. 12 acres. There, set up, shoot. He fired, next round, he clicked. Bullets were Jammed from the Feed Throat going into the Chamber, crushing them standing up failing to load. Put the MCarbo Spring kit on. Put new Ejector spring on. Put the rifle back together and brought it out this evening. Pulled trigger. He fired. Pulled trigger. The action was open as if I had pulled the bolt handle back and set the locking pin. Hit the locking pin, action closed, he fired. Every round was like that. I checked the screws to make sure I didn’t over tighten. I’ll be trying again in the morning. If anyone has any thoughts, I appreciate it! Thank you!

rkt88edmo 03-17-2015 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chef.Smith1975 (Post 15992421)
OH yeah, the ral question here! Marlin 60, .22 LR. Last time I shot it I was 18 or so. 21 years later, may dad asks me to clean it for him. He said it was jamming. I asked who cleaned it last, he said you. That was 21 years ago! The Hammer Spring was bent. It felt like there was sand piper wrapped around the action. I gave it a standard cleaning and brought it to his property in Alameda County. 12 acres. There, set up, shoot. He fired, next round, he clicked. Bullets were Jammed from the Feed Throat going into the Chamber, crushing them standing up failing to load. Put the MCarbo Spring kit on. Put new Ejector spring on. Put the rifle back together and brought it out this evening. Pulled trigger. He fired. Pulled trigger. The action was open as if I had pulled the bolt handle back and set the locking pin. Hit the locking pin, action closed, he fired. Every round was like that. I checked the screws to make sure I didn’t over tighten. I’ll be trying again in the morning. If anyone has any thoughts, I appreciate it! Thank you!

Our thread on the 795
is a little more active, you might be able to find some help there. Otherwise RimfireCentral would be my best bet for help.

UnitedFinds 03-18-2015 1:17 PM

Hello Calgunners. First time on forum with my own handle, not new to forum. Just time to get my own handle. Not really new to guns, used and been around them on and off my whole life. Newly addicted to regular use, building, and getting as much knowledge as I can though.

ad40 03-18-2015 3:23 PM

Welcome UnitedFinds!

bsg 03-18-2015 6:36 PM

welcome to the forum, folks. glad to have all of you onboard.

ghost21 03-19-2015 6:52 AM

Hi yawl!

Used to be a CG member long ago (late 90's/early 2000's I think) but just recently gotten back into shooting and all the politics that go with it. Like firearms of all types, discussing politics, current events and general gun chat/legislative actions. I don't make it to the range as much as I'd like these days but I try and go as often as possible.

Hope everyone has a great day!

ghost21 03-19-2015 6:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chef.Smith1975 (Post 15992421)
Hello everyone, I just registered today after lurking around for about two years now. My name is Chris Smith, from Livermore (Far East Bay!) I met a gentleman in Sacramento at the SVSC a few years back that told me about you guys. I checked y’all out, but didn’t really stick around too much. A brief story about me… I’ve been a chef for almost 20 years, and as a result I became an alcoholic over those years. This past October, I was starting to lose control of life and by the grace of God I was called out by the private catholic school I was the “Lunch Lady” at. Oh, I am a male, it was our joke there. Lol. Anyways, I called Kaiser and admitted myself into their day treatment program. A two month course that got to the root of my problems and am glad to say I have reached 150 days of Sobriety today. No relapses. Cravings of course, but I gave myself a goal. As a child, I always bugged my dad about shooting this .308 he brought back from the Army, just as Vietnam started. He was lucky to have been drafted prior to it, and was in the Army Corp of Engineers, building infrastructure in Thailand. Anyways, finally when I was 13, he let me shoot that rifle and that was my first bit of my first addiction and passion. I’d go to school with bruises on my check as the check rest liked to punch me often! So, at 14 we got a Marlin Model 60, at 16 we got the Ruger 10/22. At 17 I got my 30/30. By 20, I was in culinary school, drinking heavily and stopped shooting. Alcohol and guns never mixed. Even with a hangover, I enjoyed waking up and wouldn’t cross the two. If you do, please don’t. That just sets a stigmata for us responsible rednecks who respect our rights and privileges for good fun. Good lord, we’re not Derek “Tex” Grebner! Oh wait, he was sober by most accounts. Serpas do kill! Anyways, my goal for sobriety was to get shooting again. My 30/30 is my baby. She is the prettiest girl out there, and shows her affection with each squeeze! My 10/22 is my heart and soul. Shooting the little guy makes me smile like I was 16 opening that box on Christmas Day. The Marlin 60 and I have had a odd relationship. I’ll get to that in a few, as I have just completed open heart surgery, and that guy is back to his youth again! So, I just returned from Grants Pass Oregon this morning. I brought the 10/22 and the 30/30 to Josephine County Sportsman Association Range. If you have not been go. Call in sick to work. Do whatever it takes to get there, if you’re in the rut of Bay Area Rifle Ranges. 8 ranges. Cowboy Action town set up. Sight in range with 25 to 100 yard targets. 100 and 200 yard targets on the range next to that. 600 yard range, say hi to the camel, just up the hill. Big Bore Pistols were singing Sunday morning. 10 yard to 50 yard Pistol Course. Police and Military stage courses. 2 other skeet ranges. Everyone was treated as adults. No range master breathing down your neck. If you had someone else on your course, you simply said, “hey, ready to check targets?” “Yes?” Flip the red lights on, walk down range, do what you need and act as the adults we are. The range master was present, just over saw and let us prove ourselves. One gentleman let me shoot his .338 Lapua! Really? I need one! Got $6k for a quick loan? I brought along the new members of my family, my .300 Win Mag and my 9mm. First handgun ever, just picked up in December! I spent 2 days, 10 hours and $14 to shoot both days! After 40 30/30 rounds, 20 .300 WM rounds, 200 9 mm rounds and 400 .22 rounds… my shoulder threw in the towel! I’ve struggled with our ranges here. We’re adults damnit. When given the opportunity, people do exceed expectations! This is coming from someone who thought 3 Days no liquor would kill me. When I wake up, 151 days. Thank you for allowing me into the family here!

Welcome. Wall of text is hard to read man! Particularly on a phone. Myself and other would be much obliged if folks put more spacing. :D

jbumx2 03-19-2015 8:28 PM

Hi. I am a complete noob to guns, except for the couple of times I've gone to a shooting range with some friends. Looking to buy a 22 rifle as a starter. Figured I'd join the forum to learn how to go about doing that. I'm in Livermore.

gogohopper 03-20-2015 6:07 AM

Welcome and congrats on the decision to own. Search and read and ask questions.

69Spitfire 03-20-2015 5:51 PM

Hello everyone.

Dan Diego 03-20-2015 9:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghee99 (Post 15586689)
I have a question (hope this is the right spot to be asking it?)

Although I recently joined, and I think the calguns forums are great for most, Its a bit too rough 'n tumble for me. Or maybe just the wrong people replied to my post.

Either way, no ill will towards ANYONE on here, (and a big thanks to those few that were amazing), nonetheless, I wanted to delete my account from here, and no longer be involved/associated.

I looked around and can't seem to find the "delete your account" button on any of the pages on my user account.

As such, can someone tell me how to go about deleting my account from here?

Thank you very much!

;)

Could a mod please PM me at his or her convenience? Same question. Thanks.

replied ~rkt

erickalan 03-20-2015 10:33 PM

Hello all, checking in from the sacramento area new to guns here and wanna learn what i can so i can make a informed decision before purchase. Still have a few question regarding my legal stand point on owning a gun. Could someone point me to the appropriate section of the forum to ask my question. much appreciated and thanks in advanced

UNDFTDar15 03-22-2015 2:59 PM

another noobie

hey everyone, new to the forum. just started building my first AR15. 7 more days until i can pick up my lower :face palm:

sirerich 03-23-2015 8:06 AM

hello

Hello, I would like to say thanks for all the articles have been lurking for a while. I am into trying to build a few firearms have recently build a few cobray products a few derringers and a 410 shotgun. Im thinking of trying my hand at building a ak but thats stilll in the works.

billy2076 03-23-2015 4:24 PM

Hello there in TV land! Sort of wore down by now, but I'm new to the hobby/sport. I'm still trying to get my pennies together to buy my gear for 3 gun competition in the future. I was wondering if any of you would chime-in with some questions that I have with regards to our wonderful state.
I have tried to understand the laws and the way they work when it comes to purchasing new guns, but being a noob and now joining this great net I feel overwhelmed with the amount of info being dropped on me.
First: I wanted to buy a new HK handgun, after figuring out the laws for new guns, and checking the gun list, I come to find out I can only buy a P2000 and USP. After joining the forum I see other models that I was eyeballing but didn't think I could get or still get. Like a HK 45 and/or Mark 23. I see a few postings for this items but I wonder if I could buy them? Can you school the noob, on this topic? Thanks.
Second: in watching some Piru 3 gun matches on Youtube I saw a guy in a pistol match, pretty good shot, doing his thing. What got my attention was the amount of lead he was dropping on the targets without reloading. If I am not mistaken he was using 17 round mags. I sent an email to the channel and I was referred to this site. Again, all I can say is that there is a lot of info and I'm dumbfounded at the moment. I was told that "we" could own this type of magazine but I'm not entirely sure. I was wondering if any of you know anything about this. No, I'm not trolling, this is a serious question just to inform myself and not make a mistake that could cost me dearly down the road. I would appreciate any info with this and my first question.
Thanks again and I hope that I can learn from all those of you that are willing to share your knowledge with me.
Stay safe!

gdelameter 03-23-2015 5:13 PM

Hello all, new to this site. Just want to be a better informed gun owner. It'll probable take me a little while to learn the ins and outs of the site, but any suggestions for where to post questions etc. would be appreciated. Thanks.

LU72 03-23-2015 7:38 PM

Hello all! I am recently getting back into Guns and realized the other day that I have absolutely ZERO clues on most of the new laws, so I wanted to join and hopefully become up-to-date with things relevant to me and the guns I own.

My son was diagnosed with ASD about seven years ago and so the focus these last few years has been mostly about getting him as much help with the disorder as possible. He has come quite a long way and while I am still very much involved in participating with therapy sessions of all kinds, I've been finding a bit more "me time" over the last two years; it seems life is balancing out a bit better for me and the wife (who is very supportive of our gun collection).

I've been a gun owner since the early 90's. I have a pre-ban AK clone (Norinco), an SKS (Norinco as well), a Mossberg 500A and a Ruger 10/22. Really looking forward to getting back into the gun world after being away for years!

phdo 03-23-2015 7:41 PM

Welcome to Calguns!

Quote:

Originally Posted by LU72 (Post 16025608)
Hello all! I am recently getting back into Guns and realized the other day that I have absolutely ZERO clues on most of the new laws, so I wanted to join and hopefully become up-to-date with things relevant to me and the guns I own.

My son was diagnosed with ASD about seven years ago and so the focus these last few years has been mostly about getting him as much help with the disorder as possible. He has come quite a long way and while I am still very much involved in participating with therapy sessions of all kinds, I've been finding a bit more "me time" over the last two years; it seems life is balancing out a bit better for me and the wife (who is very supportive of our gun collection).

I've been a gun owner since the early 90's. I have a pre-ban AK clone (Norinco), an SKS (Norinco as well), a Mossberg 500A and a Ruger 10/22. Really looking forward to getting back into the gun world after being away for years!

Glad to have you back. Hopefully you'll be back for good.

spradcgnus 03-23-2015 8:31 PM

Hello! I am a long time lurker of these forums and decided to finally join.

I am a proud owner of a glock 19, AR15 I built with a registered lower, mosin nagant that I am "sporterizing" (I'm SORRY to those who hate that), and a Marlin 795.

I hope to contribute to the community.

Thanks!

ThreePercenterZX7R 03-23-2015 8:41 PM

Newbie Here!

Hello Everyone, I am new to Calguns as of today, I heard about Calguns from a new 3%er Brother I just met within My SoCal Group. I live in the IE area, I am big on Defending The Constitution and 2nd Amendment. I am looking to hopefully meet some buddies to go out shooting with and even get a little more knowledge on building, cleaning and maintenance or firearms, and even getting some Tactical Training & Survival knowledge from any groups that hook up to do these type of Fun things! :) I am a positive and fun person and I really like to make everybody laugh (That is if they have a sense of humor) if not, then I will just have to try that much HARDER! :D I may be an older Cat but I have a VERY Young Heart and I love to have fun, even if its with Airsoft Guns and Battles! (never done it before but again, I love to have fun and try new things) I also have my serious side (Believe it or not) I am a Father of SIX Girls (Yes, 6!) and have dedicated my life into protecting them from any type of Threat or Danger coming our way. I am actually talking them into coming shooting with me as well and also getting them some Self Defense and Tactical training. So, Nice to Meet you all and I hope to meet some really cool peeps here on Calguns.

Mr Wizard 03-24-2015 3:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThreePercenterZX7R (Post 16026022)
Hello Everyone, I am new to Calguns as of today, I heard about Calguns from a new 3%er Brother I just met within My SoCal Group. I live in the IE area, I am big on Defending The Constitution and 2nd Amendment. I am looking to hopefully meet some buddies to go out shooting with and even get a little more knowledge on building, cleaning and maintenance or firearms, and even getting some Tactical Training & Survival knowledge from any groups that hook up to do these type of Fun things! :) I am a positive and fun person and I really like to make everybody laugh (That is if they have a sense of humor) if not, then I will just have to try that much HARDER! :D I may be an older Cat but I have a VERY Young Heart and I love to have fun, even if its with Airsoft Guns and Battles! (never done it before but again, I love to have fun and try new things) I also have my serious side (Believe it or not) I am a Father of SIX Girls (Yes, 6!) and have dedicated my life into protecting them from any type of Threat or Danger coming our way. I am actually talking them into coming shooting with me as well and also getting them some Self Defense and Tactical training. So, Nice to Meet you all and I hope to meet some really cool peeps here on Calguns.

Welcome to CalGuns.

Pigslayer 03-25-2015 6:48 AM

Hello all, New member here. Been around the community here and there but never joined. Figured it was time. Thanks to all those that work hard to support our rights.

ad40 03-25-2015 2:28 PM

^ Welcome Pigslayer

welderdude 03-25-2015 10:25 PM

New guy here.
Where do all of the cool high power folks with funny jackets and hats hang out?
:)
over

Big Jake 03-26-2015 4:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by welderdude (Post 16038449)
New guy here.
Where do all of the cool high power folks with funny jackets and hats hang out?
:)
over

You must be referring to the moderators!:eek::p

welderdude 03-26-2015 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Jake (Post 16038984)
You must be referring to the moderators!:eek::p

Big Jake, I meant the high power rifle shooters that wear funny hard back shooting coats and silly flappy hats and don't even have the sense to use a scope that is attached to the rifle..., but I can see how what I wrote could have been taken differently...........:D

stevie-loc 03-26-2015 12:54 PM

New here... Howdy!
Names Steve, 22, from San Diego. Not an owner yet but have shot a few times. Just got my girlfriend to the range for her first time ever the other day, she loved it! I'm pretty sure I'm OK to start collecting haha. I think I'm gonna look for a 1911, either 9mm/45acp, maybe a 12 gauge of some sort down the line as well as a 10/22. I plan to do some range shooting, some hunting down the line and obviously for self defense at home. See y'all around the forums!

skull_leader 03-26-2015 5:55 PM

Hey all, have been lurking for a long time and finally have a question to post. Love the wikis and the flow charts so helpful.

Freedomfighter007 03-28-2015 12:24 AM

Been a long time lurker and wanted to join the community. Hello! :)

Freedomfighter007 03-28-2015 12:52 AM

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Larini 03-28-2015 6:01 AM

Howdy everyone!

:cheers2::cheers2:I'm new to CALGUNS. This is an awesome site! Just wanted to say HI and thanks everyone.

lasbrg 03-28-2015 5:49 PM

Welcome Freedomfighter007 and Larini!

maxx03 03-30-2015 3:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larini (Post 16051170)
:cheers2::cheers2:I'm new to CALGUNS. This is an awesome site! Just wanted to say HI and thanks everyone.

Welcome.