Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Gays With Guns (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=412)
-   -   GWG - OFFICIALLY DISSOLVED (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1479837)

GayGuns 09-28-2018 8:47 PM

GWG - OFFICIALLY DISSOLVED

FYI Folks

For all intensive purposes GWG has pretty much dissolved. Most the 250 meetup members only joined to make a political statement. Trying to get people to actually show up for a Range Day was like pulling teeth. Since the costs to keep the meetup going were coming out of my pocket --after several months I finally just pulled the plug.

I'm sure if I paid everyone's way at the range day I could have gotten a lot more to turn out but... that'd also obviously get a lot of freaks and freeloaders I'd have to vet --ick. No thanks.

So to all those CalGunners whom were so wonderful, accepting and always encouraging --THANK YOU.

Marc

Skip_Dog 09-28-2018 9:05 PM

That sucks. Sorry it did not work out. Not fair for you to keep dumping money in.

Garv 09-28-2018 9:29 PM

Sorry to hear that.

Will you keep this sub-forum open?

(If for no other reason than to annoy joksniffer.)

Kestryll 09-30-2018 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garv (Post 22167459)
Sorry to hear that.

Will you keep this sub-forum open?

(If for no other reason than to annoy joksniffer.)

Honestly I'm not sure.

This sub-forum was set up not as a place to segregate out LGBT members but specifically for the 'Gays with Guns' organization.

If there's a chance GWG might return of change in to something else leaving it here isn't a problem.

As for the larger issue it is my position that gun owners and 2A advocates aren't determined by race, creed, gender, orientation or anything other than simply being people who own firearms legally, respect the Second Amendment and their right to protect themselves and their loved ones.

I do think that in general and in California in specific the LGBT gun owner/2A advocate population is a severely under voiced and under represented portion of the greater 2A community.
That isn't to say there isn't representation only that it is mostly fractured and disorganized.

If the LGBT Calgunners want a sub-forum where they can discuss issues that specifically affect their community or where new LGBT or existing LGBT gun owners can ask questions, organize and get involved without fear of being mocked or insulted I'd be more than happy to set it up but that has to be a call they make not me.

emtmark 09-30-2018 11:58 PM

I support any fellow law abiding gun owner period

We stand together or not at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir Toast 10-01-2018 12:03 AM

Sorry Gay Guns. Thanks for trying. understandable.

If you're in San Diego, please let me know. I'm a fan of the LGBT shooters.

WOODY2 10-01-2018 12:08 AM

Sorry things ended as they did, hopefully concept will live again in some fashion. Thanks for being proactive!

Bobby Ricigliano 10-01-2018 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emtmark (Post 22174835)

x1000

Kevfin 10-02-2018 2:21 AM

I'm sorry to hear that GWG is gone. I looked into this area (no - not peeping!) because I was wondering how GUNS which tend to be a conservative issue would be juxtaposed with LGBT issues. I guess I will not find the answer here.
I wish recognizing gun and 2nd amendment rights did not fall along political lines like it does. I would hope that all people recognize and respect that right. I also thought, given the treatment of LGBT in certain communities, that gun ownership would be encouraged - just as a matter of self empowerment.
Oh well, sorry. Maybe there is another way the LGBT gun owning community can materialize on Calguns.

NPFreedom 10-02-2018 2:36 AM

Sorry to hear that. Hope your organization can survive even with a few core members. It doesn’t have to be about range meetups. I know lots of people that are pro 2A that rarely if at all go shooting. Having a firearm for defense is critical and as long as your members still advocate gun ownership, you guys should be ok.

lone shooter 10-04-2018 9:16 AM

That's too bad.

jdberger 10-05-2018 1:05 AM

Quote:

Ditto.

rumplestilskinfish 10-05-2018 5:58 PM

ya i don't think gays needed a "safe place" here(cal guns). I think like previously mentioned we all have the same beliefs.

there was 1 Very vigorous conversation tho. that was kinda fun

HEY! DON'T YOU KNOW YOU CAN"T LIKE GUNS, YOUR GAY! LOL, seriously ain't gunna happen here.

VictorFranko 10-05-2018 6:08 PM

No good deed goes unpunished Marc.
People in general are so apathetic these days.

Caligula36 10-09-2018 12:18 PM

Very sorry to hear. I didnt realize it was having such difficulty. I was not able to make it to the range days you had posted previously.

TheRealVIC 10-17-2018 8:51 PM

Quote:

So say we all

mtenenhaus 10-24-2018 8:52 AM

Thanks for trying and for sharing.

cannon 10-24-2018 8:16 PM

Sorry the group dissolved but I can understand why you did it.

Was always my hope that gays (and other groups) that are often victims of haters would arm up and be prepared to take out the attackers.

Best to you GayGuns for trying.

71MUSTY 10-24-2018 8:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GayGuns (Post 22167296)
FYI Folks

For all intensive purposes GWG has pretty much dissolved. Most the 250 meetup members only joined to make a political statement. Trying to get people to actually show up for a Range Day was like pulling teeth. Since the costs to keep the meetup going were coming out of my pocket --after several months I finally just pulled the plug.

I'm sure if I paid everyone's way at the range day I could have gotten a lot more to turn out but... that'd also obviously get a lot of freaks and freeloaders I'd have to vet --ick. No thanks.

So to all those CalGunners whom were so wonderful, accepting and always encouraging --THANK YOU.

Marc

That's kind of sad. I think it's a great cause. I'd be willing to contribute a little to help the cause. PM me.

GayGuns 10-31-2018 5:19 PM

I'm fine with the sub forum being kept here.. I will try to come on more often. I wish CalGuns had a option that when a post was added or replied too is could send an email alert to thos who opt in.

Who knows --one day if there's enough interest again I can always restart the main source the GWG had of connecting --that being thru meetup.com

Marc

code_blue 10-31-2018 5:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GayGuns (Post 22283870)
I'm fine with the sub forum being kept here.. I will try to come on more often. I wish CalGuns had a option that when a post was added or replied too is could send an email alert to thos who opt in.

Who knows --one day if there's enough interest again I can always restart the main source the GWG had of connecting --that being thru meetup.com

Marc

It does, but on an individual account bases. You subscribe to the forum or individual post and opt into receiving instant email notification. I warn you that it could get annoying.

Best of luck and nothing wrong with stepping back for a bit to re-evaluate.

pacrat 11-18-2018 8:42 PM

Damn it Marc, sorry to hear.

Please don't give up on your article writing and activism. Not just the 2A, but all the world needs people of your caliber.

All the best in anything you decide to do.

andyslee 11-20-2018 2:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GayGuns (Post 22283870)

Marc

I run two meetups in Orange County and I'm more than willing to host any GWG meetups! I know the oranizer dues are kinda annoying, but I've just gotten used of paying them. Let me know if you're interested and I'll assgin you as an meetup oganizer. I'll continue to pay all the meetup fees. :)

sdfire 11-29-2018 9:07 PM

There are several organizations in San Diego that are LGBT inclusive , and regularly have meet and greets, training events , and other 2A related events.
Anyone interested can send me a PM.

Full Clip 11-29-2018 9:37 PM

Just noticed this thread. Sorry to hear of this development.